The Guest
John Wick
It Follows

Akira
Indie racer 2000

>Akira
>neo-80s
bitch it was made in the 80s
also you have no right to rec Akira without reccing Ai City as well.

The only problem is its criminally short length and therefore rushed pacing

Hobo With A Shotgun

Bumping with pics

It's literally the only retrowave movie I can think of, aside from maybe Fury Road.

People just don't make movies like they did in the 80s any more. I was watching The Warriors (1979, yeah, yeah) this morning and even though the plot was mediocre, the way the film was designed - the way it looked, felt, sounded, was paced, the camerawork, all of it was a piece of art compared to the trash today.

So, no, as far as I know, you're not going to get movies today that give you an 80s feel. You're just going to get stuff like Kung Fury which satirizes the era.

Wrong, faggot.
Watch this it's very similar to stuff like Maniac Cop 2
also Beyond the Black Rainbow, right in line with Cronenberg's stuff.

haven't seen this yet, but at a glance at a few shots, it just doesn't look right. same with The Guest.

I don't even want a movie to just be doing 'retro 80s', I hate retro-ness. a movie taking place in a certain era is fine but just weakly stylizing after some older style is lame. there's stuff like Drive but it isn't exactly doing 80s, it's more like it is influenced by certain things here and there but then puts it in the contemporary. it never feels like it's supposed to be the 80s, or 'like the 80s'

Yeah and that's why it's not as good as a really thorough and honest pastiche of 80s movies like Stranger Things or Hobo with a Shotgun.

Shying away from making a movie that truly looks and plays out like an 80s movie results in something middling and awkward like Drive.

trying very hard to appeal to nostalgia without putting in the work to imitate old material faithfully results in something embarrassing like Kung Fury.

You know the first time I watched this I was really drunk, and I was riding off of Kung Fury vibes (having also just seen that for the first time immediately before TK) and it fucking sucked. I think the bike mutilation scene was the only part I thought was cool.

What pisses me off is the chicks's design.
It's like they were afraid to make her sexy and badass, so they went for the "ok she's kind of like Jem, but old and busted and worn-out" concept as a cop-out.

The Revenant and Apocalypto.
Different eyecandy and setting but same core.

More like,"It Swallows"!

eh, things build forward from the past. if an artist is influenced by a certain feeling or color pallet or technique a couple decades after it was last used, that's perfectly legit to draw from and implement in new ways, doesn't necessarily make it 'retro' or 'pastiche'

for instance, early minimalist sculptors were influenced in part by certain uses of simple forms or materials used by some Russian artists (who were influenced and approached differently different facets of cubism, which built out from various post-impressionist precedents), but they used such inspiration or admiration in a completely different way formally, philosophically, etc.

being inspired by films that had richer color, or more atmosphere or ambience, from eras where this was explored more by the likes of Mann or Argento, does not mean that one is necessarily 'going back'... the 70s or 80s do not have claim to color or atmosphere, but they are exemplars of such aspects, and as such people interested in a more aesthetic approach will admire them, rather than the drier approach of the 00s 'gritty realism' of Nolan or whatever

getting into genre taxonomy or influence spotting too much, to the point that it becomes reductive to the mere sum of the supposed parts overlooks the emergent aspects, how things mutate and get new qualities. I'm not talking about actual attempts at retro, which do exist, but when artists inevitably know and take some inspiration from their history

Kung Fury looks great, but ultimately suffers from severe youtubeism. It thinks that winking to the camera in rapid-fire succession = a story. Even it's a parody, you have to give a damn on what's going on.

If you want a 80's parody done right, watch Danger 5 season 2.

Valhalla Rising was literally his attempt to made 2001: a space Odyssey with the viking adventure script he was forced to work with.

He loves old movies and tries explicitly to work their style into his stuff.

But he doesn't do it fully and the result can't be its own thing.

Nope

yeah, that's exactly it, he works with elements or devices or qualities he likes from movies he loves, but fucks with it enough where it becomes something else. artists have always done this (nothing completely novel ever pops out of nowhere without growing from other developments), this is the right way to do it.

The Guest

The Guest actually is what you want. It's not really "doing 80s" like you said. Just has influences, it's basically a modern thriller with 80s tinges. Give it a shot.

Maniac

I just explained you why it's not

Movies like The Guest are not trying to remake the 80s, they're "retro 80s" as a genre. Big difference.

>TGIDF