That laughable ending

>That laughable ending

How did anyone took this movie seriously when it came out?

How did anyone took OP seriously when he came out?

>How did anyone took this movie seriously when it came out?

They didn't it was a critical and commercial flop and Alfred Suckscock blamed Jimmy Stewart "for being too old." Even though it was really his overly obvious themes and directing that was bad. In hindsight people started calling it a classic even though it's nowhere near the best Hitchcock, Stewart or psychological thriller. In my opinion Citizen Kane is the better meme classic.

It's the most interesting Hitchcock

See: above

And you should both consider suicide.

What's even wrong with the ending? Try watching the stupid Birds if you want an anti-climactic ending.

I like the ending for Birds. Just leaves it open for what going to happen them and the sanity of the main girl

underrated post

so much this
fpbp

Contrarian: 101

I suppose you think Stanley Kubrick was a hack too

You aren't actually going to defend this movie's pathetic ending are you?

The birds and vertigo are bland as fuck compared to Hitchcocks other movies.
I cant for the life of me understand why such average flicks are held in high regard

Ok, so the ending was a bit dubious; however, it doesn't make it any less interesting.

It reminds me of something Kubrick once said about a film not necessarily needing to be "realistic", as long as it's interesting.

Or W.B. Yeats: "Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story".

Downloaded this movie and am about to watch it so I can understand this thread, it better be good.

Vertigo is super overrated

Rope and Rear Window are the cream of the crop

Dude Hitchcock fucking sucks

This movie has definite flaws, but the story is interesting. I wish more movies featured possession/reincarnation.

This whole movie is just a drag and the plot is retarded shlock nonsense. Hitchcock has got at least a dosin better films

>Rope
Hipster Hitchcock favorite, but not all that impressive.
>Rear Window
Utterly bland compared to Vertigo

Try harder, you absolute cunt

>This whole movie is just a drag and the plot is retarded shlock nonsense
That's objectively incorrect.

Can we all just agree that Psycho isn't a meme but is actually just the best Hitchcock film?

>that creepy cinematography
>actually good dialogue with plenty of secondary meaning or foreshadowing that generally isn't too on the nose
>understands subtlety
>brilliant misdirection in the first act in which Marion has a complete arc
>Macguffin gets thrown in the trash half an hour in
>Anthony Perkins' likable and innocent yet creepy performance
>genuinely unpredictable all the way through (the twist possibly aside)
>perfect pacing and runtime

This is the kind of movie of which the story structure would be praised if it came out today, never mind over 50 years ago. The twist doesn't really hold up anymore but they were really able to sell it well in 1960 all things considered.

WHAT A STUPID FUCKING ENDING.

And the rest of the movie is alright. The premise is interesting and could've been executed better in a different genre.

Fuck Sup Forums is pleb as fuck.

Hitchcock's better than Kubrick, you know.

And The Birds is a brilliant piece of freudian storytelling.

That probably says more about Kubrick than Hitchcock desu

I cant tell if you're meme'ing or being serious. Either way stop it.

Not memeing.

Kubrick is an overly technical filmmaker with a couple excellent but not masterpiece films, and some other shittier ones. He's completely overrated here and everywhere else imo. Hitchcock's a better storyteller.

And the Birds IS a great, visceral film.

It would be better if all it's tropes weren't beaten to death in pop culture.

I said stop it.

Filming everything they exact same way and leaning on your editors and already played out Freudian psych does not make you better than any one.

That's definitely why the twist doesn't hold up but to me the rest of the film is mostly not that hurt by it.

>actually good dialogue with plenty of secondary meaning or foreshadowing that generally isn't too on the nose
Give examples

The whole movie revolves around the twist. It's not good.

>Critics have interpreted Vertigo variously as "a tale of male aggression and visual control; as a map of female Oedipal trajectory; as a deconstruction of the male construction of femininity and of masculinity itself; as a stripping bare of the mechanisms of directorial, Hollywood studio and colonial oppression; and as a place where textual meanings play out in an infinite regress of self-reflexivity."
>Critic James F. Maxfield suggested that Vertigo can be interpreted as a variant on the Ambrose Bierce short story "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" (1890), and that the main narrative of the film is actually imagined by Scottie, who is left dangling from a building at the end of the opening rooftop chase.

What the fuck

The entire conversation between Marion and Norman is basically character study on him as Norman Bates, and showcases his obsession with women and how his mother doesn't approve of his love. The reason he has to kill her afterwards is because of this affection. The whole conversation is foreshadowing on his issues with his mother, obviously, but also highlights his loneliness, love for taxidermy (see his mother in the end) and wanting to be someone else. Marion, in talking with this lonely, troubled soul, realizes she doesn't want a sheltered or desolate life for herself and decides to return the money, completing her arc and redeeming her. This makes her untimely death extra tragic.

Norman being interrogated by the detective consists of him tripping over his own lies and being backed into a corner which the detective clearly notices but doesn't point out or exaggerate. It's the first time Norman is shown in a threatened light and his trying to seem innocent in this desperate moment is actually pitiful, and you know at the same time the detective is digging his own grave which adds to the suspense.

The rest of the film keeps the dialogue to the point, aside from the first 30 minutes before the genre switch which do a great job with misdirection and the third act which while probably the weakest part of the film is still fine. The monologue by the psychiatrist in the end is also great for really managing to sell one of the least plausible twists in cinema history.

It does on the first watch maybe but it's still a very intriguing character study on rewatches. It's still an excellent piece of film making.

Hitchcock was just considered a genre director in his time, if a capable one

and Vertigo was actually kind of a flop.

Hitchcock was more like the David Fincher of his time. Kubrick was the Paul Thomas Anderson of his time.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

i agree, it's at least better than vertigo (to modern viewers). The atmosphere created here is what makes the film great. In vertigo it's mostly the plot that drives the movie. We've become used to the type of plot he created. Now every generic movie more or less follows his formula. Norman is a deeply unsettling character.

I actually more or less agree, the only difference with modern genre fiction is that his characthers were more fleshed out.

Wasn't the awkward ending a consequence of shit being cut? The censors insisted that the movie ends on a high note of Gavin or whatever his name was getting arrested. Hitchcock didn't like that, but went along with it. Later on, the final scene, in witch Scotty and Midge hear about Gavin getting arrested was cut to better fit Hitchcock's original vision, leaving us with a strange, abrupt ending scene.

LE ENDING
DUH ENDING
BUH ENDUNG
WAT WAS W/ DA ENDING
WTF DA ENDING
ENDING
ENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ENDING ENDING EGNUINEING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How to talk like fucking dumbfuck pleb with shit taste.

>Marion, in talking with this lonely, troubled soul, realizes she doesn't want a sheltered or desolate life for herself and decides to return the money,
When the fuck did that happen? What the fuck?

Rope is god-tier.
Rear Window I found predictable and boring.

Most of those things you only notice because they're total hitchcock tropes. If you try and think of it without taking into account Hitchcocks filmography, his more tropey films like North by Northwest are far superior. Yeah, Hitch was a bit of a one-trick-pony, but it doesn't make his films any worse.
>fuck auteur theory.