I'm no programmer, but I love the internet. I'm intrigued by the possibility of quantum computers...

I'm no programmer, but I love the internet. I'm intrigued by the possibility of quantum computers. Any Sup Forumstards out there who would like to educate me about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

quantumexperience.ng.bluemix.net/qstage/
youtu.be/JhHMJCUmq28
youtu.be/b_ddt6J1Bio
youtu.be/v9cLR7FHon4
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shor's_algorithm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well in a regular computer you have bits (short for binary digits) that can either be a 0 or a 1, but in a quantum computer you have qbits which can be in a superposition of both 0 and 1

Pretty much the only reason a quantum computer even can work is the fact things can exist in multiple states at once until they are observed. So instead of eight bits forming the number 65 capital 'A' in ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) 01000001 only one character. You can have eight qbits representing not just all capital letters but all of the characters encoded in ASCII in one qbyte!

It's 2AM for me I don't know why I'm doing this. Anyway these qbits are actually quantum particles, and their value is the superposition of 0 and 1, but the trick is deriving useful information out of something you can't observe; else you'd collapse the superposition. Turns out the trick is only partially measuring the values so, there's still enough ambiguity that the superposition only partially collapses. That's about all I know about quantum computing. I might've skipped something, anyway I know some other computer stuff so AMA if you want.

not OP but thanks for that

No problem, good to know I'm helping people learn things.

I understand that part, but I suppose what I would like to understand how the increased power might impact on current computers. AI, etc.

Ok, slow down and explain.

First off, god damn word salad.

Second, it increases processing power. Do smaller things faster, and do some larger things it was previously incapable of, like advanced calculations.

Sorry about spaghetti, but if you understand the concept, please explain to an admitted autist what it means. I'm genuinely intrigued about how it is going to change things.

If you had one bit you can represent 0 OR 1, but with a qbit you can represent 0 AND 1. Seems insignificant at this level but as the technology grows and we add more qbits you can do stuff like super realistic simulations; like so realistic you couldn't tell the difference between them and reality, also you can straight up just break modern encryption.

Thanks for being civil. I understand that part. Bit more in depth?

As of now, computing power is operating with two parameters. 0 and 1.
If any given byte is 0, then it means in the string.
If any given byte is 1, then it means in the string.

But that's just two values. Think of it like dimensions.
1 and 0 can only give you a plane. Add a qbit (1 AND 0), and that's a dimension's worth of extra information. It's a third state that value can be in.

256^2 is 65,536 possible combinations.
256^3 is 16,777,216 possible combinations.

Dubs for truth.

Like I said In another reply you could break modern day encryption. With normal computers it would take trillions of years to crack a decent password. With quantum computers on the other hand it could take hours. As for AI we are making strides in that field right now, all quantum computing will do is just make what we do know run faster. As for what we do know in AI or machine learning is becoming very powerful; all the ads you see are suggested to you by an AI the videos you are recommended, and various other applications like air plane routes, music, self-driving cars, the list just keeps going.

But how? How is the uncertainty possible in code? I don't understand the multiple state business.

>how?
Nigga, that's what they're trying to figure out. If there was a definitive answer, we'd have the shit by now.

How far off are we from an operating quantum computer?

You can think of it as a function taking uncertainty as input and outputting slightly different uncertainty

Anywhere from a few years to a few decades that's if we don't destroy ourselves in the mean time or something destroys us.

Heart of Gold style? I still don't fully understand how it works. As 123 said, if we understood it, it would be on the market already, but broad strokes, know what I'm getting at?

We have two solid states of yes and no. Then we add the possibility of maybe. What does that mean?

Don't listen to this faggot.

A qubit can only be measured in one of two states, just like a regular bit. Superposition is only relevant between measurements.

Think of a arrow in a box the arrow can either point up or down but you don't know which.
Now imagine you had eight of these boxes you could ask questions like, "Does at least one arrow point up?" Or "are there at least 2 arrows pointing down?" These questions don't completely tell you about the arrows (partially collapsing the superposition) but they do tell you enough to do caclulations with.

We can see through your thinly veiled attempt to crowd source solutions to your quantum computer, faggot OP. Fuck you!

IBM already has a functioning one you can use: quantumexperience.ng.bluemix.net/qstage/

Thank you, that actually helps! Scarily complicated!

Lol, faggot!

Yeah, I can't say I know anything really, one cool frood to another, just don't think too hard about it, and keep your towel close.

So, with enough 8 boxes, you would reach kind of a probability, but not a yes or no answer. Is that a realistic interpretation?

Bro!

As I understand It yes, but I would recommend reading up on it yourself.

Thanks mate, I try, but since I don't have the foundation it's hard to understand. 813 was by far the best explanation I've had. If that was you, thank you.

Yeah that was me.
Here's a youtube channel for you, they have a lot of good science videos you may want to check out there suggested channels aswell.
youtu.be/JhHMJCUmq28

youtu.be/b_ddt6J1Bio

That sounds apocalyptic to me for some reason.

MVP

programmer here, quantum computing is BULLSHIT

youtu.be/v9cLR7FHon4 cunt

can someone explain how encryption can be cracked?
preferably with some math

I actually don't know too much about that you should look up RSA encryption because that's the kind they use to encrypt a shit ton of stuff

Whats your favourite language

i know how encryption works,
i just don't understand how quantum computing works well enough to know how it could break it.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shor's_algorithm

Well a regular computer has to go through what all the possible values the password could be, but a quantum computer is in a superposition of all possible values, so if you collapse the superposition over and over in a special way you can get the password in a much faster time.
Say my password is 101 the normal computer goes: 000 test , wrong, 001 test, wrong, 010 test, wrong, 011 test, wrong, 100 test, wrong, 101 test, right! But a quantum computer would (I think) go: XXX *insert fancy math* 110 test, wrong, XXX *more fancy math* 101 test, right! It's not random, in the omitted *fancy math* parts the computer partially collapses the qbits using methods I've explained earlier; asking questions that don't tell you everything, but can get you close to the right answer out of the range of all possible values.

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE QUANTUM COMPUTING WILL CHANGE THE WORLD.