Rock is dead and irrelevant

You have 10 seconds to name a rock band from the last 25 years that is both critically acclaimed and culturally relevant. Please note that commercial success is not synonymous with cultural relevance.

Impossible Mode: No Nirvana.

Oh wait, you can't.

R.I.P Rock

Please note:
>The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Queens of the Stone Age, The Mars Volta, Franz Ferdinand, The Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Bloc Party, The Libertines, Blur, Pulp, Suede, and Interpol are not culturally relevant, all of them are fad artists associated with a certain 3-5 year timespan with no real longevity or standing cultural relevancy. You're not going to hear their music being played at a high school dance or have a large number of normies sharing them on Facebook the way you would a contemporary hip hop artist like Drake or Kendrick Lamar
>Jack White is not a culturally relevant artist. Seven Nation Army may be a culturally relevant track but having only one culturally relevant track indicates a lack of longevity and thus a lack of cultural relevance as artists.
>Radiohead's praise comes from the fact that they "destroyed" rock music and became a primarily electronic act. Their success is evident of rock's death, not continued relevance.
>Muse, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Tool, Kings of Leon, The Black Keys, Pearl Jam, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Blink-182, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Mumford & Sons, and Red Hot Chili Peppers are not critically acclaimed.
>King Gizzard, The Flaming Lips, Sufjan Stevens, Tame Impala, The National, The Hold Steady, Dinosaur Jr, Deerhunter, Mac DeMarco, Porcupine Tree, Beach House, Ween, Titus Andronicus, Bon Iver, Pixies, Spoon, Pavement and Modest Mouse are far too niche to be considered culturally relevant.
>Metal has not been culturally relevant since the 80s.
>R.E.M., Bruce Springsteen, and U2 have not been critically acclaimed in the last 25 years.
>LCD Soundsystem, Twenty One Pilots and Arcade Fire are not rock bands

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/fuTS1BaKHDM
dropbox.com/home?preview=ANHEDONIA (1).mp3
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rising_(album)#Critical_reception
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I DID NOT HIT HER I DID NAUGHT

The Duke Spirit

youtu.be/fuTS1BaKHDM

Now fuck off with this shit.

Jack White sure thinks he's a culturally relevant artist the way he prances around like he's a rock legend or some shit.

Cultural relevance is more than just popularity.
There are a lot of rock bands in the last 25 years that have had far more influence in music than say, pop artists like kanye west or katy perry since the people who listen to them are more likely to be artistic.

I see this pasta like every week.

Royal Blood?
Weezer?

He said rock but pop.

I mean sure it's not relevant, but when has a genre not being popular ever impacted the quality of it? Like I'm not interested in hearing music that everyone agrees is "current" or "relevant," I'm just interested in listening to good music that hopefully incites emotions that I find to be true and resonant. Frankly, if anyone only cares if their music is popular or widely listened to, you're taste must be pretty shallow.
>tl;dr, needlessly honest answer to a bait post

>Radiohead
>primarily electronic act

Arcade Fire.

>Arcade Fire are a Canadian indie rock band based in Montreal, Quebec
>Wiki Genres: Indie rock[1] art rock[2]
>RYM Genres: Indie Rock, Chamber Pop, Alternative Dance, Synthpop, Post-Punk Revival, Art Rock

>Red Hot Chili Peppers are not critically acclaimed.
Are you fucking retarded? Under The Bridge, Soul To Squeeze? Give It Away? Fuck off retard.

What about Alice in Chains you dumb fuck? Rooster, Man In The Box, Them Bones..?

OP is a retard.

Meatloaf

Does it really matter? Just listen to what you like.

Hahahaha whitey mad that his genre is dead and rap and r&b (black music) has completely taken over the whole worldwide music industry with no end in sight. Rap will still have longevity hundreds of years from now meanwhile rock is still dead 25 years later. You toilet-seat complexion neanderthal cave beast devils need to accept your fate. Not only is your race dying but so is your culture which includes your music. Your women worship our dicks. You listen to our music. You watch us act in your movies. You watch us dominate every single sport. We run this shit, honky.

>commercial success is not synonymous with cultural relevance.
then what is cultural relevance?

Anyone mentioned gorillaz?

>inb4 ">gorillaz >rock"

Demon days was definitely more rock than anything else

I work at Subway, and The Strokes are on the modern pop radio station we have on at least 5 times a day. My stoner friend who listens almost exclusively to trap, knows and enjoys them. Arctic Monkeys have ruled tumblr since late 2013 when AM came out; good luck finding a teenage normie white girl that doesn't like them. And how can Oasis NOT be considered culturally relevant: wonderwall is a staple of beginning guitar. The white stripes are HUGE. Seven nation army is definitely their biggest hit, but that doesnt mean they didnt have any others; most people know fell in love with a girl and icky thump. And we are gonna be friends has been inescapable for the past decade. It was in the opening credits for a movie that grossed $40 million. And Radiohead becoming electronic, doesnt change the fact that they are first and foremost a rock band. Their most acclaimed album happens to be a pure rock record. And just because Sup Forums and pitchfork hate them, it doesn't change the fact that Tool is MASSIVELY acclaimed. Look at their RYM page. Same for the black keys. Plus, Arcade Fire. ARCADE FIRE. They headline every festival they attend, and every one of their albums has been critically acclaimed. And yes, I know this is pasta. But I like refuting it every time I see it.

>Royal Blood

How old are you

Fuck off, picrelated. You were always a bogus man.

Radiohead.

this

>Arctic Monkeys
>associated with a certain 3-5 year timespan with no real longevity
>not going to hear their music being played at a high school dance or have a large number of normies sharing them on Facebook

the reality:
>first album (2006) remains the fastest selling debut album by a band
>latest album (2013) was one of the best-selling albums of the year and is the peak of their popularity
>"Do I Wanna Know?" in particular hit the Billboard Hot 100, ranked highly on various singles charts around the world, and is enjoyed by many normies

Rock isn't dead bitch DEAD RADIO LIVES
dropbox.com/home?preview=ANHEDONIA (1).mp3

>When your position in an argument is so weak that you have to spend a larger portion of your time defining what answers you won't accept "because" rather than making your argument

Anyways, stale pasta.

Panic at the disco
Twentyone pilots

gene is some what right

as a jew he would know the industry

LISTEN TO THE NEW ROCK YOU CUNTS

>The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Queens of the Stone Age, The Mars Volta, Franz Ferdinand, The Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Bloc Party, The Libertines, Blur, Pulp, Suede and Interpol.

Guitar music died with chris cornell.

this

marilyn manson

hey, but what about rammstein

Oasis isn't culturally relevant yet Wonderwall is still covered at every talent show and open mic in the country. K.

Kanye West is objectively the most influential popular musician of the 21st century so far.

Also, The Rising is considered one of Springsteen's best albums.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rising_(album)#Critical_reception

What about Wilco? Not as popular as Red Hot Chili Peppers, to be sure, but Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is one of the more acclaimed albums of the '00's, and it was also one of the first albums to be made available for streaming after the first record company turned it down- that's pretty significant

>says rocks is irrelevant
>proceeds to name every relevant rock band from the last 25 years

I wouldn't call them relevant. I don't know anyone who isn't somewhat into music who doesn't know them. To me relevance is not liking an artist's music or the genre they're in yet still knowing of them.

Wonderwall is a perfect pop song (simple lyrics, simple chords, singalong chorus etc.).

Everyone should be able to do it but, for some reason, they can't.

How horribly depressing

>All this effort just to shitpost

damn you're right

>Muse, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Tool, Kings of Leon, The Black Keys, Pearl Jam, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Blink-182, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Mumford & Sons, and Red Hot Chili Peppers are not critically acclaimed.

okay

>>LCD Soundsystem, Twenty One Pilots and Arcade Fire are not rock bands
No, they are, they just suck.

>Arctic Monkeys are fad artists with a 3-5 year timespan
Arctic Monkeys have literally stayed relevant since 2006 and their last album was successful as fuck and was critically acclaimed.Do I Wanna Know is their biggest hit and enjoyed by many normies and it came out 7 years into their career. I mean I don't give a fuck about rock but OP contradicted himself very quickly.

>OmggG RoCkk mUsiCk izS noT De4D
>posts band that were relevant 10 years ago

why do rock babies do this?

Linkin Park, Imagin Driggins, Bizt Limpkit, My Chemical Romance.

The amount of goalpost moving in this pasta is astonishing

I agree that rock is sort of stagnant now, but being critically acclaimed didn't matter in the so called "golden age" either. All the bands you listed their that weren't critically acclaimed have all had critically acclaimed albums at one point. What's the distinction there? Critics didn't like Low, but Bowie is still generally considered to be critically acclaimed.

What's your point? No one thinks that rock is culturally relevant, or that meme rap being culturally relevant somehow makes it good or worth listening to.

>rockists still reply to this bait pasta

lurk 6 months before posting

This pasta gets me every time, because by the first paragraph there is already a major contradiction. Arctic Monkeys are in fact played at normie parties and in nightclubs to this day. I work in one as a bartender and the likes of Brianstorm and I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor go down far better than the latest Drake song typically.

You have 10 seconds to back up your claims of cultural irrelevance.

Nmh