Books as movies

Hey Sup Forums. Has there every been a movie that is better than, or at least as good as, the book it was based on? Just watched A scanner darkly, it's OK, but not as good as the book.

Pic related is the worst film adaptation of a book I can remember in recent history. This movie made me want rage watching it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/i17pORf_iE4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bean was so fuckable

Starship Troopers, though it is arguably a departure from the book.

Blade Runner, same as above.

I have a feeling there's one that I'm just barely forgetting.

And - Ender's Game is one of my favorite books, the movie was enjoyable, idk op.

>Blade Runner, same as above
I'm a big Philip k dick fan so I still prefer the book.

>And - Ender's Game is one of my favorite books, the movie was enjoyable, idk op.
Mine too, but the movie really just pissed me off. Was so far off the book it was just too much for my autism.

There are no science fiction novels which are worse than their adaptations. Not one.

Solaris

enders game is one of my favorite books to, but the movie didn't piss me off because I knew there was no way to adapt it to the screen in any satisfying way.

Jane Eyre (2011)
Fucking hated reading that fucking bitch taking everything that happens in her life so seriously
At least in the film you get to look at that sweet Fass for two hours

Lord of the Rings, Tolkien was too long winded about shit that didn't matter. Instead of describing the final war he spent pages describing birds and clouds. He wrote a good story, but he was terrible at executing it

The Martian

>he was terrible at executing it

Sure user, whatever you say.

I'm not saying either of them, book or movie, is good, just that the movies better. The first two thirds of the book is just Katniss wandering around feeling sorry for herself and dealing with her PTSD, as though I'm supposed to give a fuck. The actual hunger games part in the book is like, the last 1/6th of the book and it feels very rushed. The movies balance of plot and pacing was much better than the book. And if you think that's not saying a lot... just try to get through that second book without your mind wandering off and thinking up better plots. I dare you!

>Arguably

At no point did Rico jump a mile in the air and nuke the shit out of the spot he was about to land in.

Some plebs are gonna say Lord of the Rings but they are wrong.

The Road maybe. Manhunter/Silence of the Lambs. Hell probably most schlocky detective films and Westerns.

So many people say this shit and honestly I wish it was true. At no point does he spend pages discussing Birds or Clouds.

He does dedicate alot of paper to the politics of regions and even some to the fertility of the soil in Mordor but it all flesh out the story.

Jurassic park is so much better than the book you'll be shocked if you ever read it.

I prefer lord of the rings to the books for the most part, but there is some stuff I believe should have been in the movies thst wasn't.

Blade runner is better than electric sheep.

No fucking way, the book was so much better than the movie, and the movie was great but Michael Chriton was at his peak when he wrote that

Ender's Game was pretty accurate to the book. I personally hate The Giver's film adaption. It was so inaccurate and just weird. Not in the good way, either.

LotR was a pretty good adaptation. If you haven't read the books, Jackson spared you a loooooooooooooooooot of walking, partiuclarly on the first film. He got rid of Tom Bombadil which is just fine for me. He added the Battle of Isengard for which we should all be grateful, in the book we learn about it after the fact (Oh hey, welcome to Isengard! Something awesome happened here, too bad you weren't here to see it). More importantly he cut the Battle of Bywater which is very very anticlimatic.

Under the Skin, though it was a very loose adaptation, portrayed the idea of the world through an alien's eyes stronger than the book ever could.

But she wasn't an alien, user. She was an alien robot harvesting human semen.

Did the Ender's Game movie have enough naked oil-wrestling children? If not, I'm not interested.

>Ender's Game was pretty accurate to the book

I have to disagree. It was completely different, misses many of the important parts, and in my opinion, the entire meaning of the book.

>the mc's attempt at american accent is just moaning and whining all the time
BRAVO JEWBONGS

I am legend was far worse

The Shining

"movie was enjoyable"

I bet you thought TFA was 10/10 stuff then lmao

Ender's Game movie was an abortion.
>Bonso 2 heads shorter than ender
>BLACKED
>Harrison Ford mumbling for fucking days
>no tension
>general faggotry

-___-

Forrest Gump. The screenwriter deserves some props.

The Fight Club movie was better than the book.

There's a new adaptation much faithful to the book now.

youtu.be/i17pORf_iE4

No Country for Old Men is pretty close IMO.

It doesn't follow the book's theme (especially the end) but the movie was a lot better than I'd ever hoped for.

>>BLACKED
who? bean was always black. well black/greek

I Think the movies only work better because you get a sense or urgency while being introduced into this huge fantasy world.

For example the scene where gandalf comes back from Minis Tirith to see if Frodo still has the ring. Gandalf is paranoid, the scene is dark, the music sets the tone as gandalf reveals exactly what the ring is and you get a sense that this poor little hobbit is literally holding the fate of the world in his hand.

In the book its just a normal day, gandalf comes back to the shire after several years to visit with frodo and tells him about the ring and his discovery over a nice cup of tea.

Then you have shit like Tom Bombadil that just makes the whole point of the quest moot since hencould literally do the job on his own.

The books were good books and fun to read. I absolutely love them, but the movies were a perfect example of how adaptations should be made.

>Can I come with you?
>JUST GET OFF MY BACK!

can't even remember that character from the books, only harrison ford and ben kingsley's (their forced tension was pointless and only hurt Mazer Rackham's legacy as the man who turned the tide in the 2nd formic war)

This.

Even Palahniuk said so.

There are heaps.

The Shining
Love and Friendship
The Godfather
Misery
Carrie
Gone With the Wind
The Leopard
Solaris
Harry Potter series
Watership Down (arguably)
American Sniper (I assume)

+ more

Shut the fuck up you stupid piece of plebeian shit.

Fight club was better than the book,
Gone girl was better than the book,
The shining was better than the book (only case for King's stories imo)

The Running Man

Does literature short story counts?

>Harry Potter series
the movies were trash compared to the books, they cut so much good shit