Cinema = dead

>The industry that has seen its worst domestic summer box office in a very, very long time. Almost every one of the major studios’ flagships crashed and burned this summer. From the underwhelming performances of Suicide Squad and the most recent X-Men and Star Trek films to the out-and-out failure of the Ghostbusters reboot, sequels to Independence Day and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and even a family-friendly Steven Spielberg movie (The BFG), it has been a rough ride for many supposed “sure things.”

>Even the ugly sideshow that accompanied the Ghostbusters reboot hasn’t occupied the pop-culture conversation half as much as Netflix’s Stranger Things has this summer. And really, no movie (yes, other than Star Wars) has been so central to internet conversations as HBO’s Game of Thrones. Even last summer’s box office bonanza was led by Jurassic World, a film that remains the fourth highest grossing of all time and yet seems to have been forgotten just weeks after it was released. Ask yourself, when was the last time you told someone that they “had to see a movie”?

thefiscaltimes.com/2016/08/26/2016-s-Summer-Movie-Flops-Not-Fluke-It-s-Beginning-End

thats because it's all cliche bullshit and reboots. there's barely any fresh content anymore

Hollywood did this to themselves by trying to create and follow a cash formula

>Reboots and sequels that no one wants
>Cinema is dying

No

And as soon as studios make sequels and reboots to TV shows that no one wants, they'll bomb too

The Generation X is already in their midlife crisis and find these modern movies too old to watch while the Millenials don't give a fuck about movies except capeshit.

Kubo is a fresh idea and thats bombing as well.

The fact is that there are a million ways to consume media these days, most of which are easier and cheaper than going to the cinema.

>Leave cinema to me

>Ask yourself, when was the last time you told someone that they “had to see a movie”?

Hmm.... I tell my friends to watch Mr. Robot and The Leftovers all the time. Not any movies recently...

Basically humankind needs other sorts of entertainment while they wait to die. Aside form living.

>NO i dont have to ask myself a god damn thing; but hollywood ask yourself: when was the last time you had a new revolutionary idea?

>yfw Lucas and Spielberg were right

>Kubo is a fresh idea and thats bombing as well.
u wot m8

>tfw still not released here
the wait is killing me

Civil War did fine

I guess Marvel is behind everyone else failing

I told a couple people they had to see the TMNT sequel, but mostly because we all shared the same opinion that the first one was too far removed from the cartoons and shit.

The sequel was so rooted in the original stuff it was absurd. If they had gone for that tone from the beginning it would have been absolutely A+.

Fuck do i hate megan fox though

Ghost in the Shell will save hollywood and it will bring the dawn of animekino, silimar to the anime boon of the 90's.

GITS followed by Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai Champloo, etc.

It's been out a week and hasn't made 1/3 its budget but maybe its too early to judge.

Honestly its the only film Ive wanted to see this summer but yeah not out here in Bongland yet.

The previous summers have seen huge blockbusters making billions of dollars in the box office.

Now people are sick and tired and the lineup are oversaturated with cookie cutter 300 mill budget "blockbusters" CGI shitfests that do the same shit over and over. Half of them are remakes, the other half are superhero movies.

Shit buckles under the weight of its own shit and they act suprised that people dont want to see the same shit over and over again?

Say what you want about Deadpool, but it showed that people are ready for something new and the studios are to dense to catch on.

I honestly wish we had animeshit instead of capeshit.

Cape movies are all so samey.

If dubs Dunkirk will save modern cinema

>Say what you want about Deadpool, but it showed that people are ready for something new and the studios are to dense to catch on.

We all know Deadpools success can be attributed mostly to meme marketing.

>alienates FUCKING WHITE MALES by race & roastie pandering, turning vapid young adult novels into "epic" trilogies, apologizing for LOTR being too white, casting male actors solely for their appeal to women
>biggest revenue source stops putting out
>wonders why nobody goes to the movies anymore

lol hollywood

>From the underwhelming performances of Suicide Squad
>literally broke box-office records
Why is everyone so determined to pretend SS failed? It was hardly a great film, but financially it did well

bravo Nolan

WITNESSED

No marketing and not a simultaneous worldwide release?

The industry's shit because most of the people working on films are plebs who think Marvel's superhero films are the most incredible films of their generation and that every film should try and emulate them

Bold voices aren't getting funded and anything with depth and substance isn't advertised and is ignored outside of festivals (which are largely just circle-jerking whichever new up-and-coming director acts the most pretentious)

it's going to be really fun these next few years. either:
-everyone will continue to try and be progressive despite the constant reminders how unprofitable it can be
-everyone will cease all attempts at pandering and flip the bird to anyone who bitches about it

Joints are dying. Not that the "fiscal times" would know the difference between joints and cinema.

>Not any movies recently...
You have shit taste, that's why.

can we make this a bannable offense, or wordfilter any and all of these words so they just come out as 'movie'?

save us jim

Video games won.

Hollywood keeps making sequels and shitty capeshit blockbusters because that's exactly what people want. When was the last time you saw Sup Forums talking about Nebraska, The Revenant, Room or what have you. 90% of Sup Forums is drowned in reboot/capeshit discussion.

>barely any fresh content anymore
I wish I could murder every little faggot that says this. There is so much "original" stuff coming out of Hollywood all the time. I don't know whether these faggots are braindead plebs or deliberately being obtuse.

>boo hoo Sup Forums only discussed the revenant for a solid year with the occasional thread still popping up woe is me

The great white hope

People are now watching youtubers. This is where the acting talent is

But it was pretty much aimed at the already existing fanbase. In all honestly, we are the ones who hocked that movie.That's not a bad thing, it was smart. It was smart on their part because they knew how vocal fans like me are about a rated r deadpool movie actually existing. If anything, this season should show studios that they shouldn't meddle in the movie making process.
And to never hire Paul Feig again.

This right here. What the in the flying fuck is with this narrative?

>yfw people will only go to the movies to see Disney ie:Star Wars and marvel flicks.

Good. Let's let it happen. The world needs a few of these media industries to crumble.

Next year is going to be worse.

There's like 20 blockbusters in 4 weeks.

>when was the last time you told someone that they “had to see a movie”?

Her

Well that was 2 years ago...

come hell or high water is good. and sicario.

Nolan lacks the courage required to make a great film.

or you make low budget movies that do well like a lot of fucking low budget movies have done this year

>-everyone will continue to try and be progressive despite the constant reminders how unprofitable it can be
If Hillary wins.

>-everyone will cease all attempts at pandering and flip the bird to anyone who bitches about it
If Trump wins.

If Trump wins we're going to get an 80's style Renaissance.

No, it's not the beginning of the end, or some other retarded apocalyptic opinion. Look at the previous years, like 2012, when the SJWs and Millennials were full-on PC mode, so it's not their fault. People are just tired and burnt out by the endless amount of capeshit, reboots, and sequels. Back in 2012, Marvel topped off after releasing the Avengers, which made billions. Hell, even TFA made billions. It generally depends on the flavor of the month and how novel it is. Disney's first Star Wars movie was hyped as fuck unlike random capeshit #234342 or reboot #3423423. It all depends on the novelty, idea, and execution.

Bring it on.
I already listen to synthwave. Apparently that's the kind of music for ancap nazis.

SHOULD HAVE MADE IT AN ALL-FEMALE REBOOT OF BEN HUR

WE KNOW THOSE DO WELL, GURRRLPOWER REALLY SELLS :^)

Maybe this will be Hollywood's wake up call that remakes/rehashes don't sell.

NGE would only work as a tv adaptation, we all know how the rebuilds turned out

Hollywood should blame themselves tbqch. They fucked up independence day so much, that movie was supposed to break records. Every single movie is dumbed down and pandering to the fucking chinese. I'm glad they're taking this hit, maybe they'll step it up now.

Suicide Squad did well because it had a hot girl
Put more hot girls in things
I'm talking slutty hot

>tfw haven't gone to the movie theater once this year
The only movie I've regretted not seeing in theaters was Hardcore Henry.

>President sacrificing himself to save his daughter
>faces off against the Alien Queen
>"Happy Independence Day!" quip before blowing himself up
>mfw

This
Slut-punk needs to be a genre

>Bladerunner 2 will be released in time for the Emperor's arrival.

Gen X here, I stopped going to the cinema 5 years ago and stopped watching tv 8 years ago. I also despise capeshit and young adultshit.

>Cinema=dead

The fucking arrogance on these Hollywood kikes and their cocksuckers to even assume that Hollywood is all of cinema or that blockbusters are even relevant in anyway

This

You think this is funny? It isn't, you filthy spic redditor.

Great

fucking right on m8. i knew i could count on big guy

>>yfw Lucas and Spielberg were right

So that's why it failed. Okay, everything was done by women.

>Meanwhile

is that how it ends? I literally fell a sleep half way through and didn't bother to finish it

thanks doc

Maybe if they stopped shoehorning sjw feel good garbage into every movie more people would go see them, then again maybe not, I stopped going to theaters when I started realizing more and more unfavorables filled the seats.

>make shit movie
>it doesn't sell

AAAAHH JEW SAVE ME

Zootopia was good though.
Jungle Book is obviously bought though, movie was hot steaming shit.

Ghostbusters reboot failed because it was a reboot and they attacked the fanbase.
Independence Day was ruined by China with shitty quips and young "actors".
TMNT2 was a sequel to a shitty movie.
The BFG was polarizing because nobody wants to see a movie about a numale beta giant.

We're breaking the conditioning
Ahhhh

People don't want to leave their house. Is it that difficult to understand?

Most people are closeted autists and the current state of media is bringing them out. Not even normies want to go through the process of paying for popcorn when they can get a pizza for the same price and have sex afterwards.

Maybe they'll stop making reboots and 20 year old sequels finally. Hopefully capeshit too.

The Matrix probably. Which is sad.

Seems like they're all going the Marvel Comics route, which has basically killed all their interest and sales. Meanwhile, DC sent out a big apology for what they did and are raking in the dosh.

Hollywood blockbusters as a standard of success is definitely going out.
We need an absolute disaster that bankrupts hollywood so that we can move into another age, past the blockbusters.

>Some shitty Hollywood algorithm movies aren't making money
>But lots of them still are
IT'S OVER! CINEMA IS FINISHED!

>casuals love Disney: The Kings of Unoriginal Content

wew

Meanwhile, bought reviewers.

BRAVO NOLAN
R
A
V
O

N
O
L
A
N

Kubo's also a quirky stop motion film
that doesn't draw mainstream audiences

>Ask yourself, when was the last time you told someone that they “had to see a movie”?
Civil war, Jungle book, Finding Dory, and probably Rouge one and Bad Santa 2 when they come out. And this is from top of my head, I recon there is more.

But user he's already made several

ah I see so you're a massive faggot. At least your massive faggot friends are probably happy with your recommendations

Yes, they are.

Why do people like you even post here? Just go to Reddit or anywhere else, it will be better for you and us.

>Kubo is a fresh idea and thats bombing as well.
that's because Kubo looks like ass and people know to stay away from things that look and smell like ass

Western animation hasn't been that visually interesting in a long time, you stupid pleb.

how will libtards explain this?

>Zootopia was good though.
Nah man, I know it's a kids film, but it's so cliche and boring. The world it creates hasn't a shred of whimsy like some of the better Pixar movies.

tv in general is a superior medium. Rushing to tell a short story in 2h is stupid. I want 3-5 12ep seasons with character development.

YES MORE GENERIC CG PLZ DISNEY

>underwhelming performances of Suicide Squad
Considering Suicide Squad crossed $600mil worldwide and is a lock to cross $300mil domestic and hit at least the late $600mil mark, this article is full of shit. Blockbusters are fine, but studios need to realize that people don't want remakes of old movies. Ben Hur, Ghostbusters, Total Recall, Robocop, etc. Those are the blockbusters that are bombing.

Not every story is the same user.

Short but sweet sometimes works better for certain stories.

Can you really say Alien would have worked as a 3 season series?

kubo is litterally asian coroline

What about Jurassic World?

Maybe because families are sick of having to spend £50+ to see a shit film

Jurassic World is a sequel, not a remake.

Fair enough