So was this not one of the best movies of the year?

So was this not one of the best movies of the year?

I generally disdain animated movies and I actually thought it was pretty good. The visuals were often beautiful and McConaughey was hilarious.

Because it was garbage

Is it better than The Boxtrolls? I'm hoping for something as good as Paranorman or Coraline.

Nah, it wasn't.

Havent seen that, but this movie was pretty damn great and beautiful. Even if you didnt know it was stop motion its still amazing graphic wise. It falls apart near the end but i teared up a bit.

I don't think it falls apart near the end. What makes you say that? Also I don't really get it when someone says something like "it became terrible but it still moved me and made me cry." That's a bit paradoxical, no?

way better than that Nemo shit that's for sure

Everything after the fight with the 2nd sister felt rushed. The Beetle reveal into him going back to the village to the final fight. Also when his grandpa loses his memory and then everyone accepts him even tho he murdered and destroyed half their village was a little farfetched. And falling apart doesnt mean terrible. My eyes watered when the whole village got together with their dead relative's spirits and the shot of him with his parents.

Hmm I didn't really feel it as all that rushed I must say. I also don't really think the beetle "reveal" is much of a reveal at all, it's hinted at through most of the movie. The flirtation that develops early between them and the beetle's comments about his past are certainly pretty suggestive, I didn't have any doubt as to who he was pretty early into the film.

I think the sequence with the grandpa is basically meant to work metaphorically in continuing the movie's preoccupation with the idea that it is possible to move on if we allow ourselves to escape the prison that our memories of grief can become.

I guess nobody saw it OP. It did pretty shit numbers at the box office

>McConaughey was hilarious.
I thought the movie was very good but McConaughey wasn't in the slightest bit funny.

>I don't think it falls apart near the end. What makes you say that?
Grandpa's motivation was weak and hastily explained. It was definitely one of the weak points of the movie.

it was incredible! I might go back to see it in 3D since they filmed it with actual 3D cameras and I bet all the magic scenes are really neat.

it was great to finally see a good movie this summer. Charlize Theron was kind of annoying. great actress but her voice isn't her strong point.

Jesus Christ this movie was ass - except for the beginning sequence and I will admit the sisters characters and scenes were amazing - but other than that shit "jokes" boring uninteresting characters, fetch quest story that falls flat on it face in the end.

I never thought I'd say this about an animated movie but you honestly just sound like a pleb.

Wat. His character is hilarious.

All the attempts at humor fell flat, particularly with Beetle. Which lines made you laugh?

It was.

It's better than Paranorman.

It was amazing besides the bland humour. However, I'll take bland humour over typical annoying animated movie humour any day.

Many of the beetle's lines are funny but I think the funniest moment was probably his repetitive insistence on the way the story would be passed down, and passed down, and passed down.

How can you think it was very good if you thought the attempts at humor fell flat? There were quite a lot of attempts at humor.

pretty bad animation, and realy tried to hard, should have kept it simple, nearly traumatised my wifes kids

It was.

>cartoon

Is this watchable for adults? The only animated stuff I watch is occasional anime given its just sexy Seinfeld and lacks the kids show elements. I'd love this if it was anything like The Lion King, notsomuch the ebin Boxtrolls or Hotel Transylvania style.

>the only country on earth where this movie was not released is japan
>it doesnt even have a japanese wikipedia entry
What did they mean by this?

ParaNorman was really boring after the first 30 minutes.

no

Really enjoyed it. Not as good as coraline imo but a solid animated movie.

The sisters gave me the weirdest hard on desu.

These kind of shreklike family adventure movies don't rate in Japan. Give them a jdrama or shoujo manga adaptation and it'll smash records in all demographics over 13; kids anime like Pripara dominating the void for the very young.

Even Star Wars struggled to fill seats on opening day. It's a totally different industry.

It sure is, im 26 and enjoyed it along with my gf. The animations are amazing for stop motion and the story is pretty good.