Why do I hate his music so much?

Why do I hate his music so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x4LfUDV1x5s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

xbox

Because he can't come up with something new and all is songs are prog rock nostalgia medleys.

He's kind of a jerk

Hi Fantano

because hes pretentious

Because he makes very formulaic prog. Tbh most modern prog bands are.

I've only listened to one of his songs (pariah) and it's pretty sweet except the lyrics are a bit colourless.

>makes very formulaic prog
All his albums sound different

Start with Porcupine Tree and Hand. Cannot. Erase. if you want to hear him at his best at progressive rock. His new album is going to be a pop rock/progressive pop one and I doubt you'll enjoy it.

Adding some alternative and metal elements to your accessible base prog style makes them seem different but no less formulaic.

thats not fair, in the 90s he used to mimic trip hop and alt rock occasionally too.

Steven is definitely love/hate-core. I personally think In Absentia deserves all the praise it gets and Porcupine Tree's other stuff is pretty good too but he's kind of a turd.

He produced one of my all time favorite albums, Blackwater Park, so he can be as pretentious as he wants in my eyes

So because Fantano apparently said something similar that means everyone with that opinion is just parroting him? I love prog but I can't get into this guy. His music is empty. It lacks all the fantastical elements that made prog great. Without it it's just wankery. I'd even say that most prog is wankery and I love that genre.

Haha yes my friend! Many prog can wank very well because its so spontaneous; still from the very heart of some talented musicians riding the freedom of 60s psychedelic fallout.

Steven's music? perhaps more technical than many old prog bands and certainly better songwriting than most of them but it is too restrained and too accessible. Who knows, maybe he also does make his music from the heart but it certainly doesn't touch mine like the classics do!

because fantano told you to, and pitchfork doesn't review his music. also because it's sincere, and you struggle to listen to anything that doesn't have a thick layer of irony over it

listen to insurgentes. also name ten albums from the 2010s that do something "new" and explain what it is

because most of his music is garbage and he becomes more of an insufferable cunt as he ages

the only truly great thing he has made was insurgentes, that album is a masterpiece but the more I am exposed to his trash the more it seems like an anomaly in his discography, especially compared to his other solo stuff which is simply inexcusable
I was never big on PT, signify and FoaBP were kinda cool I guess but others I didn't like at all

His fans are as bad as Grimes fans.

see

>he thinks that Steven Wilson is progressive rock artist

feel free to respond with something specific

Exmilitary, The Money Store, Yeezus, TPAB the list could go on

not him but
>the only way you could dislike him is if fantano told you to
classy

You're right, he's not. He's a progressive rock autist.
Steven Wilson couldn't write a joyous song if his life depended on it. He's a miserable douche. All of his songs depict one mood which is melancholy. Even his happier stuff sound depressing.

being labelled a prog artist is simultaneously the best and worst thing that happened to him. on the one hand, he has a steady, loud fanbase of retarded dream theater fans who listen to anything that gets called "prog" because they think it makes them look intellectual, but on the other hand Sup Forums types automatically think he's shit because of the label

the funny thing is he tried to avoid the tag for quite a long time, and his music is much more eclectic than it gives him credit for. he was making trip hop in the early days of the genre, and has also done ambient, krautrock, pop, shoegaze, post-punk, drone. I have a feeling most of his fans don't actually "get" his music they just know that they're supposed to because it's prog. there was a shitstorm recently where he said all he listened to these days is electronic music, and the comments were just kids complaining about how that's not real music

What do I need to do to look like him when I'm turning 50?

stop eating red meat, drink less alcohol

Bass Communion is decent, what he did with Porcupine Tree was bland alternative rock with prog overtones and his latest single is abysmal.

Very interesting. I suppose I will dig through all his stuff, not just the ones listed on the prog sites.

sorry, I asked you to explain what it is they do that's new. exmilitary is a pretty standard hip hop album, and tpab is a jazz rap album. yeezus is a carbon copy of the money store. so that leaves tms as the only album that could possibly have done something new, and you don't have the musical vocabulary to explain what it is in any detail

>All of his songs depict one mood which is melancholy
that's not true. listen to his latest single for example:
youtube.com/watch?v=x4LfUDV1x5s

There's actually a lot of irony in Steven Wilson's music, people just don't seem to realise that. Porcupine Tree was started off as a joke band with titles such as The Nostaliga Factory

>joke band

Funny that his best, 'serious' songs such as Nine Cats were written in that era.

Do you even try? Have you listened to the lyrics?

if you want to get a taste for everything I'd start with:
porcupine tree - everything from the sky moves sideways to recordings
storm corrosion - self-titled
steven wilson - insurgentes, grace for drowning
no-man - flowermouth, together we're stranger
i.e.m - self-titled
bass communion - i, ii, iii

his only two legitimate copycat "progressive rock" albums are the last two, hand cannot erase and the raven. so the fact he has a reputation as a prog revivalist here really just tells me people here are very young and weren't really into music before 2013

yep, especially pre-in absentia. but people just hear the word prog and think it must be very serious

Come one dude. It's a happy song. There's no denying it. A lot of fans of his music will hate it for that.

Listen to his early PT stuff. It's hugely underrated and much better in my opinion than the stuff he is making today. I'd say Signify is his/their best album.

Sup Forumscore is generally a dirgefest anyway

His vocals are really fucking boring.

>his only two legitimate copycat "progressive rock" albums are the last two, hand cannot erase and the raven. so the fact he has a reputation as a prog revivalist here really just tells me people here are very young and weren't really into music before 2013
GfD was THE prog revivalist album
absolute fucking wank
I legit don't think I've ever been as disappointed as I was going from Insurgentes to GfD

Yeah, GFD was arguably his weakest release but he redeemed himself in my eyes with The Raven that Refused to Sing and H.C.E.

it's more jazz fusion than the symphonic prog aproach of the raven (the former is ground that isn't covered much in modern prog). plus it retains some of the noisier and electronic aspects of insurgentes. it's easily the least memorable of his solo albums, but remainder the black dog is a great song

As someone who prefers Steven's noisy side and as a big fan of King Crimson, GfD is probably my favorite SW release post-Insurgentes. It goes downhill from there. Raven is archaic wank performed by literal grandpas and HCE is even worse. I'm not surprised he's started selling out completely.

>prog

song of I is his best song in years. I don't consider it to be selling out when he's always had a huge pop sensibility

I think HCE is his most brilliant solo album. It combines what made early 2000's PT good with 70's prog. It's very straight forward but still complex structually.

That's the only song from the new album so far that I didn't like. It sounds too much like Trent Reznor.

>Steven's noisy side
Could you give more examples other than Insurgentes and Grace of Drowning?

There's already a lot of venom in the comments

There are others? Maybe some Bass Communion?

well, I like trent reznor a lot, and bjork as well, which is the other artist that came to mind. I actually didn't really like the other songs at all because they sound like I've heard them before, from him. as for his noisy side, I'm not that guy but his bass communion albums I guess, and a few PT songs here and there like nil recurring or deadwing (both feature king crimson members, not coincidentally)

Everyone who think's he is betraying everything and everyone with his new album never listened to No-Man.

No-Man is his best project DESU

That's why I was asking cause I don't know any other examples.

Funny how how "prog" is supposed to be about moving forward, changing and evolving and yet prog fans still want the same old shit all the time.

don't take god's name in vain

Porcupine Tree and Lunatic Soul are the death rattle of a genre

Cause your ears are made of cocks apparently. That's the GOAT!!! Check out Hand.Cannot.Erase. and Fear of a Blank Planet

FINGER ON THE SWITCH
MY MOTHER IS A BITCH

Have great genetics, go vegan or vegetarian, have a dedicated workout regimen. He's talked about this in his latest live Q&A.

>Funny how how "prog" is supposed to be about moving forward, changing and evolving and yet prog fans still want the same old shit all the time.
It would be like Stockhausen "progressing" to schlagers.

Tired of Facebook

What do you mean by this

God there is gonna be a shitfest when his new album comes out

Have you listened to last 3 Tim Bowness solo albums? Good stuff

>God there is gonna be a shitfest when his new album comes out
And it is already. Just look at comment sections on YouTube. This is related too:
The sad thing is - people are actually that dense or don't want to acknowledge obvious reality.

tfw tired of facebook