They should've stopped after this

They should've stopped after this.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/hnxTpg43ZXg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

they should have never started in the first place

But then ... but... Signals?

This. Signals is better than Moving Pictures. Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows are good too. They should've stopped there.

Grace Under Pressure kicks so much ass desu.
Signals is also phenomenal. Both are pretty much their best. Moving pictures is kinda overblown, I think i might like Permanent Waves more than Moving Pictures. I think Grace would have been a decent stopping point, but honestly I don't hate any of their albums except their first one (even though Working Man is decent) and Test For Echo.

*glass breaks*

Power Windows fucking sucked. I hate that album. Boring as shit.

best rush album coming through

fuck why didnt it upload the image

Signals is absolutely not better than Moving Pictures.

Uhhh... I really like Counterparts, Sneks & Arrows and Clockwork Angels.

I agree with him. But I know that's an unorthodox opinion.

Pleb detected

No I mean Power Windows IS the definite pleb album. Rush had it going with the synthesizers and proper prog groove but then Geddy got old and started making proper dadcore.

Kys

>Tfw can appreciate all Rush's songs
Fucking fight me

I can too but some are just way better than others.

But Grace Under Pressure is the only remotely good thing they've ever done.

I liked Clockword Angles

Synth/new wave Rush was actually good

Power Windows > Hold Your Fire > Moving Pictures > Fly By Night > Grace Under Pressure > Farewell > Hemispheres > Roll The Bones > Caress of Steel > Signals > Counterparts > Test For Echo > Presto > Vapor Trails >>>>> Permanent Waves* > 2112 > Snakes & Arrows >>>>>>>>>> Clockwork Silly Old Men

first album was proto-Rush, doesn't count. Live albums are live albums... so, and cover album doesn't count but was awful

*as good as the singles+Natural Science were, the rest of the songs are some of their worst

Yikes

Permanent Waves > Hemispheres > Signals > A Farewell To Kings > Moving Pictures > Caress of Steel > 2112 > Grace Under Pressure > Fly By Night > Rush > Power Windows > Vapor Trails > Hold Your Fire >>> the rest

cannot stand Entre Nous, Jacob's Ladder, Diff Strings. I appreciate what they were going for with EN, that same style of short, stand-alone that they had succeeded with on Changes and Cinderella Man on the previous two records, but it fell very flat. JL is the most musically stale "epic" they have ever written. It's just not exciting. Lyrically, they're both dead on arrival

2112 I just got burnt out on. Fountains of Lamneth is the superior 20+ minute song, and the b-sides on 2112 are all great save for Twilight Zone, that was unlistenable

Jacob's Ladder is my favorite song lol. Cinderella Man is my least favorite Rush song that came out before Grace Under Pressure.

*Circumstances, not Changes, where the hell did I get that from?

to each his/her own, but everyone has their definition of Rush. At least you don't write it of as "dad-rock" like so many dismissive autists. The worst part is that they played too long and it got silly. I stopped seeing concerts because of the stupid movies. Also, Freddie Gruber destroyed what made Peart unique

a Bob & Doug or Count Floyd every so often was fine, but they backed that up with ability. Now, all I hear is shot vocals and sluggish tempo

I always thought that the period from Permanent Waves through Signals was their most exciting. The perfect marriage of New Wave and Progressive Rock (without being lame like Yes and Genesis were at that time imo).

I think all rock acts should downplay the cinematics while on stage and even opt for no video screens at all. At least Rush is not a snobby band and is able to make fun of themselves. I can appreciate that, but I do think the wash machine/chicken rotisserie amps are kind of dumb. Luckily they don't detract from the actual music being presented.

their 80's stuff is pretty good. their sound was better than most of the others prog bands gone pop

well, I fell out of concerts in general, and Rush was just a casualty of that. I have never really been impressed by my favorite artist's ability in both studio and song after they reach age 45 or so

I think it comes down to songs. It's hard to rate Rush on albums because the songs can be drastically different. I'll always opt for exotic over epic in a Rush song, like Territories or The Camera Eye, songs that paint a picture more than they tell a story. I was stoked to see the latter on the Time Machine tour and the former on Clockwork tour, but I'd waaaay rather of seen it in HYF tour era

How many times have you seen Rush? I saw them 3 times, in '06 (Snakes & Arrows), '11 (Time Machine), and '15 (R40).

Of those shows, I think I liked the last one the most. Seeing Jacob's Ladder, Natural Science, parts of Cygnus (books 1 and 2), and Xanadu live was phenomenal.

I can understand not wanting to go to concerts by artists from the 60s/70s/80s/and even 90s in 2017. That being said, I've tried to make a point of seeing my very favorites from that era before they retire or die. (I'm seeing McCartney 2 days in a row later this month even though I've seen him twice already). But there are plenty of artists from the 00s and 10s that are still out there and putting on shows in their primes that you should consider seeing before they're washed up.

*Snakes and Arrows tour was in 2007, not '06.

I got into Rush when I was in younger, and they were thought to be a dead band because of all the post TFE shit with Neil. Rush.com was a weed site, everybody thought they were done. So the first show I saw was Vapor Trails in Detroit, and that was probably their best one. I think I saw them four more times, but after Clockwork I was done, man. By that time this new brand of Rush geek was infesting the place and the concerts turned into Star Trek conventions replete with costumes and catchphrases (and I like Star Tek). I blame that documentary that glossed over their best period as "hurr durr keyboards bad."

I'm a little jaded

*when I was younger

jesus, I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue

I feel that hard as a Rush fan (since circa 2001). I hate the nerd culture at large trying to adopt them as one of their own. The radio stations here in Chicago even go as far as to make sure that every time Rush is played, it's introduced with some Futurama or Family Guy quote.

I assume you mean the Sam Dunn doc right? With Jack fuckin Black in it? Fuck that shit. Fuck School of Rock and Jack Black and I Love You Man. I get it. I really do.

yeah, pretty much that

I think that's why so many younger people don't even want to touch Rush with a ten-foot pole. Their image outshines the music now. I really don't fit the loser stereotype. I'm not smart, but I'm not so stupid that I think Rush is some intellectual powerhouse. I just liked the music. It wasn't prog that throws some 7/4 bullshit out just show off. The music was technically good and the end-product was listenable. More than I can say for Dream Theater and most Yes

youtu.be/hnxTpg43ZXg

I think that's the reason why younger people don't listen to older rock music at all anymore. It's all become a sad punchline in their eyes. The same can be said for Queen (who I also love, but I don't like admitting it here). VH1 and stoner movies/tv shows ruined all that for us.

the fact that this board, with such shit taste as to praise Kendrick Lamarr or some other no talent faggot, hates Queen only reaffirms the greatness of Queen (and by Queen I mean the band that officially died in 1991)

Brian May and Roger Taylor should be beheaded for their actions against the prophet Faruk and John Deacon should swing the sword

I wouldn't go as far as chastising Brian and Roger for their want to do something music related in their lives, especially related to the best music that they were ever involved in creating. Queen was just as much Brian's band or Roger's band as it was Freddie's. They all contributed a solid 25% to the whole of Queen. I'd defend them to do what they want to do together.

Not to say I like it, but I think they've earned it. Just like Rush, the music they already made won't become any worse because of it.

fine, call it something else. Queen + Adam Lambert is misleading. If Deacon was there, maybe you'd have argument, but May and Taylor are not Queen, they were in Queen. I used to believe Mercury was just 1/4 of the thing, but he really was more important. His unapologetic faggotry made the thing dangerous

Adam Lambert is just a screaming gayboy in a time where that's an okay thing to be

This. Power Windows has a pretty corny sound but most of the songs are still great. After that they went way too far with the 80s sound and then they tried to re-invent themselves as a hard rock band but most of their material has been mediocre since then.

>Twilight Zone, that was unlistenable

Fag

I gave two of their endeavors some of my money. I really wanted to see Brian May and Roger Taylor. They did not disappoint, but everyone that they shared the stage with did. I've been to a lot of disappointing concerts.

I think it was also them being in that I Love You Man movie. They were basically built up as this cornerstone of nerdiness. Like, if you're a dork and you also enjoy music then Rush should be your gods.

But I don't think it's all bad. At least they have a younger fan base still and people give a fuck about them. They also seem to be a go-to band for young musicians.

I briefly considered going to a Paul Rodgers one just to get to see May and Taylor perform once, but I just couldn't do it. Felt wrong. Be glad you're not me and can enjoy it

yeah, I hate everything so I hate most modern movies by default, and I even like Rudd and Segal, but that film gave me an ulcer, especially since people know I like Rush and wouldn't stop talking to me about it

>I hate everything

Yeah, I feel you on that one too. I heard Rick Moranis is coming out of retirement to do a stage show for Bob and Doug McKenzie. That's awesome. Are you Canadian?

god, no

'murican

Just wondering. US is great except for the urban decay and gang violence. Would rather be here than in Canada though. I feel more safe going to shows at bars in Chicago than I do even in the popular areas of Toronto.

depends on the act, most of the shows that come to "Detroit" actually are in Auburn Hills, which is a very wealthy white community

Literally everything after Moving Pictures is a gigantic pile of synth-laden garbage

Cygnus 1 and 2 live during R40 might be one of the best thing I've ever seen.

Is something somehow inherently wrong with synthesizers?
Signals and Grace Under Pressure aren't even that much of a departure in style from Moving Pictures.

people say synths are bad, so they're bad. It's called "how everything works always"

You're everything that is wrong with the Rush fan community.