Wtf I hate consumerists now

wtf I hate consumerists now

>consumerists

Hayao "Karl Marx" Miyazaki.

What's his other nicknames?

Hayao "The preacher" Miyazaki.

>Chihiro’s parents turning into pigs symbolizes how some humans become greedy. At the very moment Chihiro says there is something odd about this town, her parents turn into pigs. There were people that “turned into pigs” during Japan’s bubble economy (consumer society) of the 1980s, and these people still haven’t realized they’ve become pigs. Once someone becomes a pig, they don’t return to being human but instead gradually start to have the “body and soul of a pig". These people are the ones saying, ‘We are in a recession and don’t have enough to eat.' This doesn’t just apply to the fantasy world. Perhaps this isn’t a coincidence and the food is actually (an analogy for) "a trap to catch lost humans." — Author's own commentary, in a letter written by Studio Ghibli paraphrasing Hayao Miyazaki (translated from Japanese, in response to fan mail questions about the ultimate fate of Chihiro's parents.

Hayao 'UNABOMBER was right' Miyazaki

What's the appeal to this movie? I saw it a couple years ago and didn't really think anything special of it. Nice animations though.

Pure kino.

Do you like early-modern anglo-feminist bildungsroman tropes? Because Miyazaki does.

I haven't watched it since I saw it on theaters when it came out so I don't remember much of the plot to be honest but the style, animation and designs of the characters stuck with me. It was a very nice change of pace from the usual Disney flare. Watching animation use live cinema style direction was also new to me since 2D animation in the west tends to look more like a play, even the frame composition often made them look like they were on a stage.

Basically I think the appeal was the novelty and different approach to animation from what we were used to in the west.

One of the most boring, pointless movies I've ever seen.

Sorry but I posted a picture of Spirited Away and not your biopic.

The whole thing is about human sex trafficking in japan. obviously theres other themes but yea

Hmm so kinda like Akria then? Just known more for its style than actual story. I tried giving anime a chance and it just doesn't seem to appeal to me.

Ninja Scroll was pretty cool though as it had a simple premise and cool characters/moments.

I've never come across this kind of critique of Miyazaki. Does he point out to being inspired by this or is it inferred? If it's the latter, can you point to why you think as such?

What's wrong with style? And I think both movies have fine stories.

Akira is the great middle ground between American and Japanese cyberpunk, dealing with real life Japanese social issues as well as crazy hypothetical dystopic shit that Americans love, and contained regular sleek science-fiction themed action setpieces together with the insane bio-mechanical body horror that characterizes the Japanese stuff.

Meanwhile Spirited Away is a Japanese-themed love letter to English literature. Miyazaki is a huge Angloboo which is why 90% of his protagonists feel like Anne of Green Gables only with magic powers or something. Also, obviously, Alice in Wonderland.

Have you ever read Anne of Green Gables, When Marnie Was There, or anything along those lines? If you have the similar themes recurring throughout them and Miyazaki's work are just about impossible to miss.

Also Anne of Green Gables was made into a tv anime a few years before Studio Ghibli was formed and had several Ghibli staff members involved. I consider it a kind of proto-Ghibli production. And on top of that When Marnie Was There was recently made into a movie by Ghibli and many think it'll be their last work.

These books are quite popular in Japan oddly enough.

Feminists on tumblr and polacs on Sup Forums think his works are pro feminist propaganda. And while they feature some unironically strong female characters I don't think he's actually championing any sociopolitical causes.

>I don't think he's actually championing any sociopolitical causes
Look closer, he's C.S Lewising the hell out of his audience non-stop. The man loves himself some rustic values. So much so that I'd almost call him a Green-Anarchist.

Also he's called himself a feminist. Obviously not in the modern American sense, but he believes in women being liberated and having agency over their lives.

Nothings wrong with style, I did say that I enjoyed Ninja Scroll, it's just I'm not so in tune with Japanese culture and the stuff that went on during the production of those movies. I also just didn't find the characters all that interesting as I found Kanada to be some douche which is fine but didn't really care about what happened to him. The immense praise also bamboozled me.

I suppose I came in with big expectations.

I take it you're not really into animation? If you are Akira's really impressive. At the time it was the highest budget ever on an animated feature, and is still probably the all time most intensive traditionally animated production ever created. The only animated movies that cost more are Disney's processor-farm produced 100%-digital abortions.

I do get the culture thing though, Japanese cyberpunk is a very niche thing to be really into. The praise comes from how ground-breaking it was for the time. Both in terms of storytelling and production values it was beyond just about anything that had come before, doubly so for western audiences who had never really considered animation as anything beyond tv cartoons and Disney.

What are you into as far as movies go in general? Maybe there's something more accessible to your tastes out there somewhere.

Wow

>I found Kanada to be some douche

So you don't like a show/movie because the main character isn't your traditional hero?

You're missing out on a lot of good shit

Well off the top of my head for animated movies I really enjoyed Plague Dogs, Lilo and Stich, Felidae, and Iron Giant.

I can enjoy animated movies, I just need something besides really good animation to really enjoy it.

>off the top of my head for animated movies
I meant all movies, not just animated. The idea was to get a clearer idea of your taste in general. Like genre and such maybe.

But from those there might be something to gather. If you liked Lilo and Stitch that's a very promising start. Still all pretty vague though. A good starting place would be more Ghibli movies. They're a meme for a reason, everyone loves them. Spirited Away despite being the most memetastic might be one of the less accessible ones.

Porco Rosso and Kiki's Delivery Service are also quite popular. You might like them.

>, but he believes in women being liberated and having agency over their lives

how dare he

Miyazaki's an old man. By his standards he's doing quite well. And really by Japanese standards in general. The women and girls in his stories are the types of people who go out into the world and get things done without being memetastic or sluts or anything like that.

Didn't know there was a message in this movie and I don't believe there is until miyazaki comes out and say's there is.

Watch Nausicaa/Princess Mononoke. He makes it explicitly clear in those ones. Also pretty much every interview with the man makes his disdain for the modern world clear.

Oh man its all over the place when it comes to live action.

Risky business
Mulholland Drive
White Men Can't Jump
The Jerk
Pretty much any Arnold Schwarzenegger and Kurt Russell movies.
Jacob's Ladder
Abre tus ojos
Come and See
Man With No Name trilogy

I'll give Ghibli movies another shot though.

>Mushi-shi
Aw shit, son.

What does he think about modern anime?

>Didn't know there was a message in this movie

Are you serious. I know most anime are really preachy af but he's the worst. He's not even subtle about it

Having disdain for the world doesn't mean he makes movies with messages that promote his view or take on society.
I've seen both those and didn't really see any political messages but maybe that's because I wasn't looking for any.

What's the message in Ponyo and Totoro?

totoro is the god of death
satsuki and mei were murdered

ok

For action and comedy I honestly think you're best sticking with American stuff, Japan doesn't do it any better, only different. You can only really enjoy their stuff if you're willing to invest the time to immerse yourself in their culture to the point where you get their jokes and all that.

But there is some appeal here I see maybe. If you liked Mulholland Drive you'd probably stand a decent chance of appreciating the works of Satoshi Kon. His movies are known for getting incredibly meta and playing around with visuals in ways that would be pretty much impossible in live-action filmmaking. A decent amount of the appeal is in Japanese film history but he was also a particularly big fan of Italian and American stuff, and you can see that in his work too.

A good place to start with his work is his first movie, Perfect Blue. The title is an answer to Dario Argento's thriller Profundo Rosso, or 'Deep Red.' It's a psychological thriller about a pop-star turned actress struggling to deal with the stress of her career. It's really something else, and you might recognize some shots that Darren Arrenofsky borrowed for his later work. It's quite an influential movie.

He dislikes the reliance on CG and thinks that the newest generation of animators are too narrowly and inwardly focused to create great work. Miyazaki and his peers were inspired by foreign literature, nature, war and a hundred other things. But for a lot of people going into the industry now their only inspiration is anime, meaning that their scope of imagination tends to be quite limited.

There's not looking for messages and then there's missing Miyazaki's preaching. He's considered notoriously preachy by many people.

>Ponyo
Leave the environment alone. Have fun adventures with nature. Be in touch with the natural world to be happy.
>Totoro
More or less the same.

Did he inject his preachyness into the game ghibli released?

I don't know, I never played it. But I would be surprised if a Ghibli-collaborative product didn't line up with their work thematically, at least to a decent extent.

Watch the documentary The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness
He states numerous times how his beliefs influence the stories and characters he writes.

That's pretty fucked up. I always thought of ghiblis movies as innocent kid-like films in the same vein of early disney but this changes my outlook.

I don't see what's fucked up. I imagine Disney and Miyazaki would agree on a lot of things. One of Disney's earliest feature works was Pinocchio, a story about not making an ass out of yourself by giving in to the temptations offered by urban living.

is this good?

yes

It's the best one

One of the best animated movies ever made tbqh

It's pretty great. Lots of nice natural scenery, an environmentalist/humanist message which doesn't feel contrived or hypocritical as well as some cool sequences which are unique among Ghibli's output. In particular you get to see some battle scenes which are quite cool and really stand out among Miyazaki's other work.

Injecting your own views and opinions in what may essentially be a childrens movie is fucked up. He must know he's full of shit if he's trying to warp young minds with his crap.

I love mushishi

that episode in season 2 with the flower in the cave blew my fucking mind

eh it's alright, not my cup of tea but neither is anime in general.

It's not possible to make art without putting yourself into it. And it's not pervasive. The stuff is never referenced directly or even treated as subtext, it's just the impression that I get from his work.

It's not an agenda, it's a worldview. Miyazaki's values are reflected in what he creates just like they are with everyone. You either make work that reflects who you are or you make soulless garbage that even kids know deep down isn't worth the time.

>He must know he's full of shit if he's trying to warp young minds with his crap
He's not trying to warp minds, he just likes making movies. If he got paid in only enough food to survive he'd keep working. He's in it because he loves what he does. If people are drawn towards his way of thinking then great, but I don't think he cares. If he wanted to win a lot of people over he probably could, but he doesn't.

That is bullshit.

Totoro is found at a large, sacred tree, and he and his little minions are seen with seeds, likely planting new trees. The girls join him and the others in a ritual to sprout new plants, and they see a vision of them as great, enormous trees.

He also helped Satsuki find her sister again whens it was feared she was lost and had died.

He's not a god of death. Not only has Studio Ghibli actually denied this assertion, but it's made very clear that he's a guardian spirit of the forest.

Fuck your edgy disinfo.

Okay thanks for the input user, I appreciate it though you may not believe me.

You're welcome. The only way to improve Sup Forums is to seek to embody sincerity, curiosity and knowledge through all of your posts.

Only Yesterday best Ghibli

Why do they only finish coloring half of the frame?
Was Takahata not running to schedule, again?

watercolours are pretty

Felt too preachy for me.

And this is coming from a guy who loved Pom Poko.

Are you meme-ing? It's a visual representation of memory. The detail is modulated to show what Taeko remembers more clearly. Compare that to the photo-realism of the present time.

You'd have to be below normie tier if you think spirited away is somewhat boring
Even small children can appreciate it somehow

best ghibli movie hands down, chihiros is utter trash

I hated how they animated her cheeks when she was griining, it always looked like she was a fucking granny. the feels part was when she met the guy on the streets and I knew I never experienced early teenage love because I always was a shy guy who wouldnt stand up for something, good thing I changed at least, still hit me hard

4K Miyazaki when?

>What's the appeal to this movie?

Babby's first Ghibli.

>tfw you will never be born in japan

Not that anyone watching it now either remembers or knew in the first place, but it was Miyazaki's first film to make fundamental use of cgi. He'd done a little in Mononoke but it was confined to particular scenes; Spirited Away used it almost constantly in at least some capacity. The point was that he used it not to supplant the 2d aesthetic but to complement it, sidestepping it's obvious shortcomings as its own medium, particularly in the late90s, and streamlining the process of animation without loss of quality. So, you know, actual efficiency, unlike basically every other use of cgi. You'll notice going back through Miyazaki's work that one of his signatures in animation and direction is the use of crowds and mobs. Almost every movie and TV show he's ever worked on has at least one such scene where a group of people are practically climbing over each other while carrying out the scene. When he does these scenes if you actually pay attention to the individual characters, you'll notice he manages to give every character a unique action and often at varying speeds. When done by hand it's a huge pain in the ass to have to do something like that; where you're drawing one mass of details with some changing at different rates from others. It's part of how he keeps a lot of his sprawling landscapes feeling alive and not like an old hollywood stage with painted backgrounds. In the case of Spirited Away he uses it to keep most of the big set pieces moving in a realistic way without overworking himself and his staff. The parade of spirits, the bathhouse full of patrons and workers, the women int he workhouse, the coalroom full of sprites, etc...

>How to trigger both the left and rightwing at the same time

woops, forgot pic

>The only good Ghibli.
FTFY

Fern Gully ripoff

that's a new one