Is vinyl worth investing in? Is it any better then just buying music on cd or off an appstore?

Is vinyl worth investing in? Is it any better then just buying music on cd or off an appstore?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ZeZ9liZO-f8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is it worth it to you?

If yes, pursue.

If no, don't.

Do you need everything in your life spoonfed?

Well you get a Vinyl which is nice. It really only is about collecting though.

cassettes are the thinking mans choice

No it isn't. Better to invest in contemporary art:

Rare beatles cover album: $40,000

Warhol painting from same year: $100 million

Or cryptocurrencies

Makes life easier that way

>Or cryptocurrencies

Shut the fuck up, you're the reason no one can find GPUs on the market.

Vinyl is very fun to collect and makes for EASY ways to get into music. When a bunch of jazz records can be snagged in great condition for 8 bucks, you get into shit you never expected to. It sounds great, can be a decent way to meet people and start convos, etc.

It takes up space and does cost moolah tho.

Seems like turntables are the only expensive part. Getting music seems on the cheaper side

Don't forget it's not just a turntable.

Turntable + pre-amp + amp + speakers. You can drop it to two steps with a TT with a pre-amp and powered speakers, ie Audio-Technica LP120 + Micca PB42X.

>cryptocurrencies
.. not right now though, wait till it bottoms out before buying
>biz

The ones I saw had built in speakers, so I thought nothing of it

No, you should not be buying an all-in-one unit. Those are fucking trash.

How so? Im just curious

>built-in speakers

Super low quality construction with terrible materials, don't even have common turntable features like anti-skate, a counter-weight, etc to play records properly.

I saw a video of a guy talking about some cheap $90 turntables and they had proper counter weights and anti-skate

Real turntables will have a motor driving the platter. AIOs have a belt, which isn't as good.
Real turntables will have a cartridge that can be replaced/upgraded (the most important part for sound quality) AIOs do not, they usually have a proprietary needle that sounds like shit.
Real turntables have a counter-weight that ensures the needle is just barely touching the record, AIOs (especially the ones that have a "play" button) will have an arm that presses into the vinyl, severely limiting the amount of plays you'll get before your record is destroyed.

Also built in speakers are fucking trash. Always. TVs, computer monitors. Whatever, they're all trash.
Ever wonder why AIOs are $150? You get what you pay for.

The ones I saw on the video didn't have built in speakers. They did have replaceable cartridges I think

youtu.be/ZeZ9liZO-f8 this was the video

How about the U-Turn Orbit?
Doesn't have anti-skate, but it looks pretty solid otherwise.

Good god summer really is here.

As of June 20th

I maintain that a great record setup sounds better than anything digital.

built in speaker is gonna vibrate the whole unit and scratch the record.

Well, he's comparing it to the LP-60 which has all of the problems I mentioned above. Also, that cartridge can only be replaced with the factory replacement (i.e proprietary) so you cannot upgrade it.
How much?

Basically, your best bet is to go vintage or spend a couple hundred bucks on a Technics. If you find an old hi-fi that needs a new cartridge or something you can go all out and have a damn fine setup for much, much less.

*used Technics

PSA:

Record collecting is not and should not be a poor mans game. If you get duped into buying shit like a crosley or any other shitter record player/speaker combo then you are a pleb and should be burned at the stake as such.

Also if you think that the spending stops there you are sorely mistaken. If you want to buy any contemporary records you will be dropping anywhere from $12 to $45 per record. Vinyl is meant to have a barrier to entry to keep normie scum out. It is meant to be appreciated and treated as a luxury.

If you have a shit setup and dont invest at bare minimum $1000 on a the basics then you would be better off listening to music on your iphone or computer like everyone else does.

Not meaning to bully, but if you need to ask questions like this and mindlessly follow a youtube video without doing prior research then you should get informed first instead of running to Sup Forums for advice.

Tldr: poorfag normies get the fuck out of my vinyl safe space

Im in the process of researching hence why I came to Sup Forums. I figured some elitists like yourself would be a good source of info. Also how am I getting into your safe space if you have it all presumably in your own private space?

>He doesn't buy obscure jazz records for a buck each from flea markets

Your loss buckaroo.

Because you are existing in this board right now. Right in front of my face. In my board.

In my fucking BOARD.

JEASUS CHRIST FUCKING NOOB.

Jk desu. Dont get a shit 2 in 1 turntable. Spend lots of money. Enjoy your new vinyl life.

If you buy a fucking record player from fye, walmart, best buy, target, etc. I will fucking gut you kid.

It isnt worth doing if you arent doing it right.

Get an at-lp 120. Its a good starter player. Not too cheap and not too expensive. If you go for the cheaper audio technica you are bordering on not worth territory.

Actually it isnt worth at all.

Later on you can remove the internal preamp and upgrade the stylus/headshell if you get into it.

Get a good surround system with a phono input/small amp with good headphones if you are in a dorm or some shit.

As far as investments go. I dont expect my record collection to accrue me any substantial amount of money in the future. I collect records because I enjoy having a physical piece of music history in my hands to observe, enjoy, and cherish. If you are in this because its trendy rn then you are in the wrong place. Most vinyl enthusiasts will tell you they collect because it is an experience and a process to own and maintain a collection. Hell the act of putting a record on takes significantly more effort than just hitting play on a computer. Its the searching, the feeling, the act of giving your complete attention to the record you just carefully placed on your turntable. Thats what collecting is and thats why you need to go big or get the fuck out.

You are welcome.

Oh no that is fine and all. But I am assuming like most other people on this board that at some point he is going to want to purchase an album that came out in this fucking decade.

Basically what this user said. Also, it's worth mentioning the LP-120 is based off of an existing Technics turntable and they're a pretty widely respected brand.

But don't think you necessarily have to go brand new. The LP-120 is almost $300 and you could probably do better with that same amount of money.

You said vinyl safe space, this is a board for music discussion of all types. Your vinyl safe space is your TT setup in your own house or some maybe some vinyl reddit page.

Im really missing out aren't I?

Just realize that there are other makers besides Technics, when looking for vintage. Redditors have infested the second hand market, shits even more rare than it already was.

Newfriend you ignored all of my advice I so carefully typed out for you in favor of nitpicking some rando shit I said in a prior post.

I can't even tell if this is an elaborate troll or you really just stepped of the S.S. Reddit yesterday.

Either way I don't think you belong here.

>investing
Is the implication that you want to sell it again later? Then no, there's more convenient ways and usually you can't count on vinyl gaining in value.
If you want to listen to it then yes but as some other anons have pointed out, you should get a proper set up.

>>
>Because you are existing in this board right now. Right in front of my face. In my board.

>In my fucking BOARD.

>JEASUS CHRIST FUCKING NOOB.

>Jk desu. Dont get a shit 2 in 1 turntable. Spend lots of money. Enjoy your new vinyl life.

>If you buy a fucking record player from fye, walmart, best buy, target, etc. I will fucking gut you kid.

>It isnt worth doing if you arent doing it right.

>Get an at-lp 120. Its a good starter player. Not too cheap and not too expensive. If you go for the cheaper audio technica you are bordering on not worth territory.

>Actually it isnt worth at all.

>Later on you can remove the internal preamp and upgrade the stylus/headshell if you get into it.

>Get a good surround system with a phono input/small amp with good headphones if you are in a dorm or some shit.

>As far as investments go. I dont expect my record collection to accrue me any substantial amount of money in the future. I collect records because I enjoy having a physical piece of music history in my hands to observe, enjoy, and cherish. If you are in this because its trendy rn then you are in the wrong place. Most vinyl enthusiasts will tell you they collect because it is an experience and a process to own and maintain a collection. Hell the act of putting a record on takes significantly more effort than just hitting play on a computer. Its the searching, the feeling, the act of giving your complete attention to the record you just carefully placed on your turntable. Thats what collecting is and thats why you need to go big or get the fuck out.

>You are welcome.

Well played muh dude.

The more I look at his face the funnier it gets. Fuck.