Does anyone have any experience with audio interfaces and using XLR mics with your computer...

Does anyone have any experience with audio interfaces and using XLR mics with your computer? I recently purchased a Steinberg UR12 and a Rode NT1.

Got the drivers and firmware installed A-OK but when I use any recording software the mic is insanely quiet even with the gain all the way up. When I boost the db the noise floor is crazy and it sounds like static with my quiet voice over it. Am I missing something? This microphone DOES require P48 and it's enable on the interface but shit man, I'm out of ideas.

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1yNDjYi5DzI
manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_recording_troubleshooting.html#half_volume
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What recording software?

The noise floor in your room is probably just loud. Post a vocaroo and what level the gain knob is at.

What is phantom power?

what are mic pres?

OP already figured out Phantom power, the mic wouldn't be making any signal at all without it.

Did you check what your preamp level is on the interface? Adjusting the gain in your DAW doesn't change what the mic is actually picking up. If your preamp is set too low/high, that might cause some of the issues you're experiencing.

You probably would be helped by putting like a ART mike preamp after the mike. They are insanely cheap now used - might get one for $20 bux or so.

Steinberg's customer service and forums are useless (they are a TERRIBLE company and you will probably be sorry you ever dealt with them) - try browsing KVR and gearslutz for tips.

Are there any internal settings you might have overlooked?

What is 24v or 48v?

This could be it.

Bought a ur12 a couple months ago and it works alright for me never did any condensers on it yet just the guitar and bass so Im no help

How about with direct monitor and cans plugged in?

What is USB not having enough current to power on it's own?

Mics don't need much current at all, just deus voltage.

Most USB will not provide enough ma to run the interface and act as a pre for the mic.

How do you fix this? get a real mic pre and get a powered USB hub.

Throw that piece of garbage in the trash. Go to guitar center or online and buy a Focusrite interface. They are available from 2 to 16 inputs. Plug and play. Also, could be setting are fouled up on the sound card of the computer. Check its settings, as well as any input settings on whatever you are using, ProTools, Radar, etc. Hope this helps OP.

USB, USB2, Firewire and Thunderbolt connections all can provide the power needed to operate an interface and its mic pres. I don't think I've seen one with any other source of power in over 5 years. Also, if there is a +48V phantom power switch on the interface, it is designed to work on any of these above connections.....

Gain nob has to be at like 100% to hear anything and even then you have to focus like you're masturbating in a tornado.

Not using any, literally just have a mic plugged into line 1.

No. Master the gear you have instead of running to a newer/better product. If you do that, maybe someday you might be a passable engineer.

Here's the vocaroo. Sounds like a fucking yeti roaring in the background.

vocaroo.com/i/s1yNDjYi5DzI

Okey dokey.

I assume you've tried both inputs?

Unfortunately there is only 1 input on the UR12 :(

>Most USB will not provide enough ma to run the interface and act as a pre for the mic.
Point. But, in that case, I'd expect to hear clipping, not low gain.

Pic related is the only one I've seen.

Have you ohmed out the cable?

derp related

Well now that isn't normal.
Oops I was looking at the 22. I don't suppose using the other power source makes a difference? What does it sound like if your headphones are plugged into the interface and you use Direct Monitor?

Fucking Zooms have Phantom power running off of two AA batteries.

Do you have access to an analog or digital mixer with phantom power available? Try the mic and cable you are using there. Then work down the line. Also, try listening to the RCA line outputs of the device. Monitoring the level through the monitor out vs what you are seeing at the computer could also help figure out where the issue is.

Sorry but not sure what you mean by ohming out the cable. If you're referring to damage, I certainly hope not. But I don't have a multimeter to verify. I have another XLR cable coming in the mail to double check before I start mailing hardware back for RMA.

That sounds like some kind of interferance. Do you have any power cables that touch the wire or run next to it? Do you have a router close by? I've had something similar to that happen to friend.

What DB in the DAW is the mic signal coming in at?

>Fucking Zooms have Phantom power running off of two AA batteries.
Did Energizer literally pay them for that design?

>But I don't have a multimeter to verify
Unfortunately, verifying that there are no opens or shorts in the cable is exactly what I meant by ohming out. Connections usually fail before components, you'll find. You're going to want a meter soon, I think.

It's true sometimes that you gets what ye pays for.
Sometimes.
Although originally it cost way more new, I bought a FP10 last year that is rock solid for $100. 8 inputs at a time in 24-bit 96k. Has 8 dedicated outputs too for live monitoring. Only thing is you need a FireWire card or laptop with FireWire.
Occasionally old technology kicks the shit out of newer stuff for both quality and price. Don't be afraid of older shit if it does the job for the right price.

actually even with no phantom power, with gain up full you can get a minimal signal out of a condenser still.

OP, I had a similar thing happen with a C2000. We had to send that one off for repair because it basically wasn't picking up phantom power, so it's possible you have a duff mic. Do you have any other equipment to test the NT1 on?

ANSWER!!

My buddy had a problem like this recently. His mic was either muted or static. His sound card kept muting his mic everytime he backed out of the daw. Once we figured that out, the static ended up being something with selecting the proper channel in his daw. Don't remember the exact fix. What daw are you using? I can give you a way to contact him and he can walk you through it.

(((Steinberg)))

I use a Focusrite scarlet 2i2 for my portable Smaart rig (Audio FFT analyzer system) with an Earthworks reference mic and a MacBook Pro. The 2i2 I got at Guitar Center in my neighborhood for $150 US. I've had it for 3 years and its been great. My touring racks are all using the Focusrite Rednet interfaces which along with analog and firewire also are Dante capable. (Touring audio guy for the last 25 years.)

OP I listened to your file, and yeah, it is definitely off. Could be cable, but I don't think you would get anything with a half lined (missing pin 2 or 3 in the xlr) cable. It not unheard of that the capsule of the mic could be fucked. Thats why I recommended trying it with another mixer or interface.

Good luck with it. When I started everything was copper, so as an oldfag I've had to stay on top of the new technology to keep working. Just used the new Yamaha Rivage PM10 last weekend. Rad console.

OK, I am out of here since OP can not answer a simple fucking question.

Enjoy your mediocrity, shit blimp.

It looks like this in Audacity. This is all just weird noises and very little of my voice.

OP, just checking. Did you turn down the gain all the way on the input you're not using?

Dude, are you trying to record yourself while you have input monitoring on and not wearing headphones??

Fake and gay and shopped I no from seing a few shops in my darz

Not the fucking waveform, but the METER. That little glowing up down thingy!!

Where is it peaking?

Yes, input on line 2 "Hi-Z" is at 0.

Unfortunately yes.

This is without me speaking and just sitting in Audacity.

Why the fuck didn't you install cubase? It came with the god damn interface

Try and record yourself with input monitoring off and see what happens.

OK. You want to aim for -18 (negative 18). What is the gain at on the interface?

Also, are you recording in mono??

SHIT!

Audacity does some weird half volume shit when you record in mono from a stereo device. Let me find the fix.

Duh, I've done this before lol it's always something so small and dumb. You spend hours trying to figure it out, then when you figure it out it's like ffs

"How can I prevent a half-volume mono recording?

This can occur when connecting to one channel only of a device that has separate left and right channel inputs. Recording in mono will often result in a half-volume track that cannot be made louder without adding distortion. If this happens:
Record in stereo using Device Toolbar
After recording, use the Audio Track Dropdown Menu to "Split Stereo to Mono"
Use the track Close button [X] top left of the upper track to close the silent track. The remaining mono track will play out of both speakers.
back to top"

manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_recording_troubleshooting.html#half_volume

It's off.

60%

I hope that's the case. But when it's not set to mono shit only comes out of one speaker.

Dude, never put input monitoring on without headphones. That's like the whole point of input monitoring lol.

Avoid any cheap m audio interfaces. You might as well throw your cash in the trash.

Even when recording in stereo it's just as quiet as mono.

Avoid any opinions from unqualified internet twats.

Learn to use your gear before you upgrade. You will be all the better for it.

Stop using Audacity and download the DAW that came with the interface.

It is possible that you need to adjust the I/O level on your computer. Control panel if you use Windows, preferences if you use Mac. If it is not a hardware related issue, or an issue with your DAW, then there is your link between the 2. When I was using a NI tracktor 10 card on my Mac, it randomly would set -32 db down when switching between the internal card and the NI. So I would have to go readjust it to -3db down on unpredictable occasions. Long story short, check your OS I/O as part of your troubleshooting process.

Focusrite > Mbox. That's just a fact.

Sure. That may be, but that is not the point.

For the 3rd time, learn to use what you have and to solve all it's problems and to work around all it's limitations. Then consider buying some better shit.

Neumann > Rode. That means his mic should go into the trash too, right?

Agreed.

Get Steinberg UR22 mk2, Focusrite sucks ballz

I am not quite sure where your rant comes from, not suggesting tossing anything in the garbage. But after using Mboxes in our college audio lab for a year or so, we swapped them all out for Scarletts. Mboxes are garbage, doesn't matter how much you know when your hardware is unreliable.

Read that. Are you the tard that wrote it?

No. But that posters point is valid, Mboxes are shady AF.

Set it to mono.
I had that problem.
That should fix it.

In fact Avid is shady AF. Not as bad as Digidesign, but don't get me started on either.