/WAG/= Woody Allen General

>One movie every year since 1982

HOW DOES HE DO IT?

>Favorite era?
>Thoughts on Café Society?
>Does Woody perpetually live in depression?

Bump

Cafe Society was playing at my local indie theater, almost went but I don't like Kstew or Cera-Lite so I assumed it would suck.

I have a sweet spot for Radio Days. Was actually considering watching it this weekend. Maybe tonight?

*soft spot

His only good movie is Take the Money and Run, half others follow the premise of "a neurotic guy who falls in love with a quirky girl".

I like woody Allen but why does he put that nervous guy with glasses in all his movies? He's a bad actor

When will Woody direct Capeshit?

My Allen Top 5:
Annie Hall
Manhattan
Match Point
Bananas
Crimes and Misdemeanors

What're yours?

Play it again Sam

80s is a great era, Hannah and Her Sisters, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Stardust, Broadway Danny Rose, Purple Rose, Radio Days, even early 90s w Sweet and Lowdown, Deconstructing Harry.

Cafe Society is excellent. Stunningly directed, maudlin, beautiful period design and sets.

His work ethic fights off depression. I highly recommend the American Masters special on him as well as Wild Man Blues.

He's one of America's very best filmmakers. Nice to see the start of a non-meme Woody thread for however long that lasts. Very few filmmakers have made good to great films for as many decades as him.

everything he does on screen is therapeutic. he loves and hates himself; anyone like him who shrinks in the presence of a crowd, is arrogant. and he aint one of the greatest american directors tho, and geniuses like orson welles have to go on being modest.

crimes and misdemeanors is his best film, hannah and her sisters could've been. the rest are profoundly bad.

He mostly writes the same characters and does a lot of the same things over and over again. I think a lot of his films could have been better if he just spent more time working on them. He seems to be more concerned with churning out 1 film every year, no matter how mediocre, instead of dedicating time and energy into crafting works of great art, which is why his stuff ends up being hit or miss.

>profoundly bad

Really, *profoundly* bad? No hyperbole?

Kys

whats the point of talking about cinema if you cant exaggerate.

>liking Woody Allen
seriously?

i've watched
>Annie Hall
>Manhattan
>Play it again Sam
>Deconstructing Harry
literally every one is not funny and is about his relationships, mostly involving him cheating on his girlfriend or going after a married woman

and every single one of his movies has this, cheating couples

it's repetitive, you could hope it would be funny at least, but it's not that either

shit director, shit actor, shit movies

99% of directors make the same film over and over. besides being prolific never stopped other great artists (picasso).

>It's an user has never been mixed up in the pitfalls of love and lust episode

>>liking Woody Allen
>seriously?

Seriously, some of us are over 20.

>how does he do it?
By churning out shitty films every year and a good film every decade or so. At least since the 90s

It just sort of negates or minimizes your salient points.

>I didnt really enjoy
sounds a lot more sensible than
>profoundly bad

we're talking about ART

Hannah and Her Sisters
Manhattan
Love and Death
Annie Hall
Midnight in Paris

What do you guys think of Interiors? It's his attempt at making a Bergman movie.

also i really hated stardust memories and purple rose

I don't love that period/aesthetic to be honest. It's competent, they're fine, but not his strongest suit.

Maybe check out some of his good movies.

>we're talking about ART

what did he mean by THIS

are there any essential movies starring woody that he hasn't directed, apart from the front and play it again, sam?

I'm virgin for life and love Woody Allen.

Do all Woody Allen movies happen in the same universe?

Woody Allen will not burn in hell because he fucked and married his step-daughter. Woody Allen will burn in hell because he duped a generation of movie goers that Diane Keaton could act.

(hang in there Woody, puberty's coming)

But you have lust in your heart, no?

Wild Man Blues doc. Recent Turturro film where he plays a pimp got OK reviews.

Don't know if it essential, but he was in John Turturro's movie Fading Gigolo.

lel i love normie memes

>>It's an user has never been mixed up in the pitfalls of love and lust episode
i am a kissless virgin, but that shouldn't affect whether or not a movie is good or not

>Seriously, some of us are over 20.
so am I

I forgot, I watched Midnight in Paris and Whatever Works too. both involve cheating couples

le my relationship is so unfulfilled meme is in every singly one of his crappy movies

Are you getting triggered about cheating because you are a supreme gentleman who would never ever cheat on a goddess like Rachel McAdams?

Not trying to be a dick, but I do think you have to experience some of the things he writes about to really get it. Love, loss, guilt, longing, etc.

I've seen every Allen movie and here is my top 10:

1. Deconstructing Harry
2. Husbands and Wives
3. Bullets Over Broadway
4. Hannah and Her Sisters
5. Crimes And Misdemeanors
6. Broadway Danny Rose
7. Manhattan
8. Magic In The Moonlight
9. The Curse Of The Jade Scorpion
10. Zelig

Bonus One: Midnight In Paris

>Does Woody perpetually live in depression?
Is there anyone with 130+ IQ who doesn't?

great choices, i've seen all but like 5 at this point, totaling over 40, not many directors i can say the same for. Husbands and Wives is staggering, affecting. Zelig is amazing and i think of it or relate to it constantly.