Redpill me on the minimum wage

Redpill me on the minimum wage

Does it need to be increased?

lowered?

abolished all together?

What are the economic implications for raising it or lowering it and what do you think of the push for $15 minimum wage?

As someone who was part of the working poor not that long ago my honest opinion is that it should be raised a bit (not 15 fucking dollars an hour, but a dollar or two increase wouldn't hurt), or taxes need to be cut. I've said it a thousand times by now, but the fact that any amount of my paycheck goes to Social Security when it damn well won't be around when I need it, nor should anyone mooch off other people's money for being lazy, handicap faking pieces of shit.

Oklahoma has a little known law that a business with less than 10 employees can pay a minimum wage of $2.00/hr.

VA and Texas at Federal minimum
Two of the fastest growing economies of all 50 states.
I've been blessed by my creator in that I've lived in Virginia all my life.
WE'RE GOING RED THIS NOVEMBER WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I think we need to abolish it. Let the businesses decide what they want to pay.

Abolished all together. Burger flipping and other mindless drone jobs are not meant to independently sustain someone and have never been. Raising the federal minimum wage to $15 or something completely ridiculous like Sanders wants to do would be catastrophic.

If you don't want to be paid like shit, get actual skills and an actual job. Otherwise shut the fuck up and be glad your worthless ass is getting any income at all.

According to Peter Schiff, whenever the minimum wage was $1.25/hr and we were still on the gold standard that would translate into roughly $17.00/hr in today's dollars adjusted for inflation. So I think it's not that minimum wage needs to be fixed, it is our currency that needs to be fixed.

It's $10 in MA, not $8.

fuck off. this isnt some 3rd world country

If employers have higher costs they'll just raise prices. You are not increasing productivity or forcing owners to take less, so inflation is the only consequence.

Inflation just devalues the value of the minimum wage.

If you utilize minimum wage you have to also adjust it by inflation every year otherwise you've just kicked the can down the road.

The main reason for a minimum wage to to save government assistance to low wage employees. Which is a stealth benefit to low paying employers.

TL;DR: The minimum wage is needed, however it needs to be linked to inflation to make it meaningful. Government programs that exist to payout just because you exist do not help. A minimum wage ensures everybody can afford to live without depending on the state.

Bullshit it's 7.25 in Georgia

You're right. We are a republic of states

Let the states decide what they want to force businesses to pay

Federal minimum wage should absolutely be abolished

Eliminate federal min. wage.

Let the states decide.

>wanting the poor to be paid pennies an hour
>sucking corporate dick

nice argument

>like youre totally a, like, corporate slave mannnnn

keep on sucking government dick then, dumbass

you're the cancer.

>implying the poor would be paid pennies an hour if there was no minimum wage

didnt think long on that one, did ya

I live in Minnesota, the minimum wage here is 9.50/hour your picture isn't accurate.

>data from 2012
Yeah, right.

Are you sure there aren't a few other factors involved with the unemployment rate? Like maybe all our manufacturing jobs being sent out of the country?

>Let's put the burden of collective bargaining on the state instead of the individuals!

Abolish minimum wage.
All employees are Salary employees. Days worked and pay is negotiated and agreed upon.

Minimum wage laws should not exist. They are state-imposed price floors that inevitably lead to allocative inefficiency.

Says the Cucknadian.

Have you considered that the massive 2008 financial crisis is what caused the shift in unemployment.

You economically illiterate moron.

Have you studied economic theory beyond the most elementary level?

Because in the real world things don't actually work out that way.

Certainly there are other factors, but a minimum wage can only have 1 effect, and that is to increase unemployment. The only alternative to that effect is for it to do nothing at all because everyone was already earning more than that anyway.

they would be paid less and what they make now is just barely enough to get by

As a small business owner in SoCal. I'm not paying 30,000 a year to have you pack my boxes and browse the Internet. If it comes to that. I'll just work later and pay myself the extra 30k

Nope you're assuming that businesses pay low wages only because that's the highest wage they can afford to pay, which means that forcing them to pay more will lead to them firing employees.

In the real world this efficient scenario is rarely the case, and businesses are underpaying workers because they can in this case a rise in the minimum wage simply leads to reduced profits, or increased worker productivity.

Do some research on both sides of the argument you narrow minded tool.

Just leave it as is. If states and localities want to have their own standard, so be it.