Red River
Laura
Out of the Past
Gun Crazy

The Maltese Falcon

Obviously

To Have and Have Not

love this movie, have a framed poster of it on my wall

There was an old Sherlock Holmes movie I saw as a kid but I don't remember the title or much about it. I think it came out in the 40s so I'm hoping someone in here can help identify it. Here's what I remember, it was filmed in black and white, there's a shot of someone walking through a garden at night and the camera is focused on the characters shoes, and lastly I think a statue gets its head chopped off by some type of rope weapon. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I'm sure it's one of the films starring Basil Rathbone, all of which are entertaining. Just watch them all

Should be easy to find a torrent

Features John Wayne playing a Swede.

Don't mind me, I'm just the greatest film ever made.

This is such a comfy little kino. Barely any plot, just sailors hanging out getting into mischief.
And if we are posting based Ford:

not from the 40's, but pic related is my favorite Fordkino

James Stewart was the most based fucking dude. Great actor.

classic.

pure kino

Dude has like 15 masterpieces

I like that film quite a bit, but it is pretty weird. It seems as though he wants to be critical of the US but was caught up in the post-war patriotic fervor at the same time.

It's still a great movie though.

Speaking of patriotic films, it's hard to top this one. At least we had the good sense to know that propaganda should be fun.

>And Then There Were None
>12 Angry Men

>tfw Olivia de Havilland is still alive

GOAT Disney coming through

Where do you guys watch old 40s and 50s films? Netflix a shit

nah

Torrent/warez if I can find it, if not Netflix's DVD-by-mail service

The Halloween sequence was so surreal. Is it like a turn of the century thing I'm not aware of?

youtube is pretty good for shit that's either really shitty and/or obscure or just lapsed into public domain

I saw this but don't remember a single thing about it

>try the Netflix free trial hoping to watch a bunch of old movies
>they literally don't have anything

Not surprising, a very light & fluffy movie. Entertaining but aside from a few of the songs it isn't very memorable

The more Ford I watch the more the in-between plot stuff stands out. The Quiet Man and Wagon Master only get worse as the plot starts to build in the last third.

Huh I thought it was very memorable, Halloween and Christmas specifically.

It's comfy for sure, maybe I need to watch it again. I'll wait for autumn to be in full swing

I can't say I felt that way about The Quiet Man, but that might be just because it's the official muh heritage movie for Irish Americans.

what an unreal pleb thread

This is one of my favourite movies.

The whole dowry/inheritance thing never quite came together for me. And if I'm being honest their whole relationship seemed one step away from spousal abuse. Dragging her by the arm across the country to prove her loves her only for her to make it up for him by being a great housewife is sort of icky.

Love the small Irish village slice of life stuff though. The first shot of O'hara rivals the first of Wayne in Stagecoach for jaw dropping character introductions.

>The whole dowry/inheritance thing never quite came together for me
Same here. Real Irish customs or not, the entire plot hinged on stuff that just seems really stupid to me. Honestly by the end I was hoping John Wayne would just say "fuck that bitch" and go back to 'Murica