My grandfather recently died and I was going though his stuff with my dad...

My grandfather recently died and I was going though his stuff with my dad. Grandpa was a school science teacher and principal, and I found a couple of pretty cool fish fossils that I'm gonna keep and display in my house (pic related). I don't know anything about them. I've done some googling, but it's hard to even know what terms to search for.

Can anyone help me identify they are?

What I know:
>Found in American southwest (Utah, I think?)
>They look like some kind of fish
>Pretty sure they're 2 sides of the same fossilized animal(?), so it's like a mirror image

Timestamp

bump

On the pic or the fossils? Also, who gives a fuck?

Bump for science.

It appears to be two halves of a fossilized fish, likely from ancient utah. Hope this helps, OP!

it looks like a dick incased in stone.

Dick incest with stone.

You guys are amazing.

can you detail how that would work?

Resin cast of a fossilized fish. Interesting but worthless.

You have to have your dick hard as diamond to fuck a stone. And you have to be stoned to make that an incest.

I don't pretend to know anything about fossils, but I'm pretty sure it's not a resin cast--it feels like stone to me, and it's pretty heavy. I also don't care about a dollar value unless it's stupid-high. I just wanna know what animal it is.

I'll take his DVD's if you don't want them.

Sorry, DVDs are mine. That was just an easy place to take pics of them. The fossils are going on my mantle tomorrow.

Sorry for your loss.
Enjoy the DVD's. If gramps drank, enjoy some of his fave drop while watching the Monty Python.

>Utah.
That there is a Mormon fish.

Likely from the Green River Formation, meaning your fish dates from the Eocene.

Check their catalog and see if there are any close matches. You're welcome.

I appreciate the advice, but he didn't have any booze around because wasn't in great shape by the time he shuffled off the mortal coil and went to join the choir invisible. He's an ex-grandpa.

Are you saying it has a bunch of wives?

op has pretty good taste in movies

Google image search says its a shoe

Well, yeah. But to be fair, it's probably better that I didn't shoot the pic on another shelf.

Nailed it.

Your dad would know what the old guy drank.

Yes they're clearly shoes

it looks like a fish that sleeps in the L position

I know what he drank, but he hadn't had any booze for the last or so years of his life. Strokes and dementia are a bitch, so he was in an assisted living facility and then hospice. He drank a glass or 2 of wine with dinner and the occasional beer after a round golf.

fuck the stone fish. that monty python set though...

I paid for neither. I had to wait for someone to die for me to get the fish, but the Python box set was a perk of working at a newspaper in the entertainment section when it was released. I got a lot of free promo shit that way back in the day.

Indeed.

it's not worth any money if that's what you asking.

You got one shot of keeping that thing unbroken and you put it on a shelf where it's going to fall and smash into pieces. Once it's broken, that's it, forever. It will never be unbroken.

>Once it's broken, that's it, forever. It will never be unbroken.
That's not what my psychiatrist said

Didn't expect it to be worth anything. I just wanted to know what animal it was so I could learn about it.

That's a valid point, but they're really thick and heavy, and I've been very careful handling them. They're pretty sturdy, FWIW.

> find a university online
> email paleontology department
> profit

I see what you did there.