Any user here knows a second language? What is it like...

Any user here knows a second language? What is it like? When you hear or read things does that inner voice in your mind translate it to your native language? I'm moving to France next year from America but I have not a single word of French learned. Help a Sup Forumsro out?

Other urls found in this thread:

newrepublic.com/article/117485/multilinguals-have-multiple-personalities
t.me/JosefVonZarub
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Omelette du fromage

It depends on the language
When I hear Spanish my mind turns it into English, but not with Japanese because that often doesn't have a direct translation

Argentinean here
My second language is murrican and no, it's a point in the knowledge of the language that the mind don't need to think in translate it

You need to think what "hola, si, etc" means ? No, it's because you know perfectly those words

I'm not 100% capable of understand everything but I'm pretty sure that I talk better than your niggers

i speak more than 4 and i dont neet to translate it in my mind, i just "know" when i hear words

btw i am from slovakia, and my other languages are english, japan and polish (i dont count czech since it is so similar to slovak)

most foreigners speak better english than people from the US...

Used to think thats how it worked, and when I first started learning german it kinda was, but with time you dont translate anything, you just 'know' what it means like how you 'know' what english words mean

theres a tipping point and you just start thinking in that language, not too long ago I was talking on the phone in Spanish and when I finished I kept talking Spanish for a couple of seconds to my friend who does not understand a word of it, and didnt realize I havent switched.

Tips:
1. Go to a fucking academy
2. Movies and shows in your targe language
3. Phone and pc in your target language
4. Meetup or something similar to exchange language, your practice half an hour in english with a french speaker and then half an hour in french (also nice way to meet chicks)
5. Tinder

Also alcohol makes it easier and weed more difficult

No, mate. When you get to a certain level you cut the middleman entirely. So no more "foreign->translate to native->think of a reply in native->translate to foreign" but instead "foreign-reply in foreign". You actually think a little different in each language. Its not surprising that the way you express yourself affects how you think.

>As many languages you know, as many times you are a human being.
Is a proverb that sums it up

newrepublic.com/article/117485/multilinguals-have-multiple-personalities

theres a chance you wont a fucking loser in french, I'm happy for you user

I've been on Sup Forums for so long that I'm now fluent in faggot.

I'm Russian, my second language is English. I don't translate English, I understand it.

I know a good site, but it's for Russians. lingust.RU
Also you can try Duolingo.

French here.
Youve chosen the worst country if you don't speak french then.
French people don't know how to talk english, they make no effort in learning languages, except maybe spanish for random reasons.
also this

I know English and I am using duolingo to learn Russian. You guys need to get your shit together and start pronouncing your vowels right. Come the fuck on, we are slavs. We ought to be able to know the exact pronunciation just from reading the word.

that's so fucking cool

Can you motivate me continuing my russian course in duolingo? I've stopped since two months ago and only reached "Numbers".
:(

For me if I am thinking in french and try to talk english, i'll have the thickest accent possible, wherehas if I am thinking in english i'll try to talk normally

Spaniard here
My second languages are Basque, English and Japanese.
it's actually pretty much as said, when you hear that language, you know what it means without the need of translating it to your native language.

If you want to learn languages, go to a language academy or try to learn it via internet or any well rated language-learning app.

I've been practicing english since i'm 11, and now im 19.
I've learned everything on internet, when I try to fix corruped files of games or more...
the most completes tutorials are usually in english so I had to understand

But now, I write and talk in english as naturally as i talk french.
My only problem remains in the accent, I just don't feel like trying to copy a natural english talker accent, that would make me unnatural

>tfw all the bars are empty
But fuck me If I ever clicking the "strengthen skills" button again.

please don't try to get the "british" accent they try to teach you in class, no one will understand you. The only "accent" people actually understand is american

Can speak three languages, 2 to near fluency. Having multiple languages is great, you really learn to think in different ways. It's not easy though, especially if you're just starting now and you're an adult. it's much easier to learn at a younger age.

That was one of the reason to learn the russian.
I can't dare myself to look at the state of my german course.

Native french speaker here.
I don't remember if it was this way back when I only knew French, but I associate words to concepts, meanings. When I hear an english word, I think not about what it means in french, but rather about what concept it represents, I don't need to even remember the link about this word's meaning and the french word linked to it, sometimes when I want to express a concept, I even briefly forget the french word linked to it, (most often happens with concepts I mostly express in english) because what I really think about is its meaning
So no, I don't translate it to french in my mind, or atleast, I don't need to anymore, for I directly associate it to its meaning which spans across all languages

Russian been living in the US since 1998, I was 9 when moved here, so I know English as well as any natural born merican, still speak fluent russian, worked in a few Russian owned auto shops, and speak with my parents in Russian, But I think in English most of the time, when I hear or speak Russian it just happens I don't have to think about it, all tho I am starting to lose Russian vocabulary. I did stop learning it after 4th grade in Russia. My friends in Russia telling I'm starting to get a bit of an accent.

Just ignore the bars and push forward.

Oh yay, you can say cheese omelet.

I forgot what TV show made that line stand out but yay

Dexter's lab or something like that, isn't it ?

completely fluent in swedish, english and russian. russian was my first language, but i would say swedish is my native.

in those languages everything comes naturally.

I am learning French too, and though it's difficult, it will be worth it, because I am coming to your country to fuck your pretty teenagers in their butts.

all russian relatives are dead by the way, keeping it up by playing csgo (no joke)

That's not very hard to do. A 2 year old speaks better than our niggers

Their butts are hairy tho user.
The French are famous for bad hygiene. The filthy Gauls have learned nothing.

Czechbro here. My languages are English, Japanese, French, Slovakian(but it's Rly similar to Czech) working as a translator and interpreter. Apart from Japanese I just know the words. My inner voice is half Czech half English.

that's bullshit, young people with a college education have a basic knowledge of english.

It won't be an elegant English, or a grammatically correct English but it's usually decent enough to carry a basic conversation.

It's nowhere as difficult as trying to speak English with Chinese or Japanese people.

Knows seven languages, three of them I have a firm grasp on.

The three languages I read and hear them in my head like normal because I know their meaning without having to translate.

The four others I have to translate them in my head.

I know just enough Russian that I can catch a few words here and there, it is in no way as if my brain needs to translate it into English first. You just know what it fucking means, same way know that shit and poop mean the same thing and don't have to reformulate what you're hearing every goddamn time.

wow look a fucking stupid faggot who has never left his country! He believes that stereotypes from the 17th centuary is actually real! congrats for the (you), fucker.

My native language is Portuguese, but I know English and Japanese as well. They don't translate unless I'm actively doing it, after you learn a language well you just start thinking in that language too (especially if you expose yourself to it all the time) so it kinda becomes natural. I actually think in English most of the time, probably because I spend too much time on the internet

Hon hon hon

>So many people here unironically speaking Japanese
Seriously, you people.

When i read english i read it in english in my mind. If you're set out to learn a new language you'll need to start by making a translation at the start, but soon your words interconnect with your subconcious.

Im sotoned afffff

At first in non native languages you translate them in your head, with practice they become natural

Im a galician spanishfag, two native languages and fluent in english

Honestly at first it was just like you described. Y'know you read something and you subconciuosly translate it to your language. But after a few years you just don't need to. It's like you develop a brand new inner voice and. You just have two of them and you think using the one that you need at the moment if that makes any sense
That needs a few years to develop tho.

Hey, fuck off, I had to learn it for work. Not everything Japanese is anime and traps

You explained it better than me.

If you're moving to France, there's a higher priority than learning their language. Get a fucking bulletproof vest. Eurofags have allowed the Mudslimes to ruin their country. So get a vest and a firearm so you live long enough to learn French. Comprendre?

LOL
>moving to France
>watch the no go zones mon amie
>try not to get hit by a bus or shot up at a cartoon workplace
>don't mind the daily raids by GIGN to barely put a stopper on the country's terrorists

you should try leaving your house once in a while

What do you do? Translate hentai?

kek

Yeah, pretty much

Anyone else think that understanding accents of native speakers is a lot harder than accents of foreign speakers

Haha aký jebutý bazerant

I read this in the tfs broly's voice hahaha

Calm down abdul

English is my second language and it's like my inner voice isn't translated but basically english, I belive I think more in english then my mother language in my head

definitely. from my experience foreigners tend overaccentuate or just pronounce words as they are written, which with a split second of thinking becomes fully understandable. meanwhile, i am struggling to understand my swedish-speaking relatives from finland though they only speak swedish.

>naïve

>> Of understand everything

Are you sure it's your second language? Because if so, you must speak it like a retard

French canadian here... you fucked OP

weeb

I don't translate English, but I do translate German and islandic.

>French Canadian
You'd be fucked too if you went over there hoss

What does that letter that looks like a p with the stick moved up mean in icelandic

go to paris and try talking english to random people
you will be surprised

Learning a language is translating everything in thought, knowing a language is being able to understand,speak, write,.... without that. I know dutch, english, german and french, while im learning japanese.

Everyone has to have a purpose in life user. Getting loads of French feces jammed up your pee hole is as good as any.

I know English and Mandarin. I learned to speak Mandarin through immersion, so I don't really "translate" the words when I speak. I know what information I want to get across and how I would do so in Mandarin. Now, writing/reading Mandarin, I actually have to think and translate from characters to English. May change once I have a reason to get more fluent in their writing.

It's a sound, it's pronounced something like "thoR".

English
Speak Spanish and German

I just know when I hear it what it means

Brit living in France and I can say you're talking total BS. Every single person (except one or two elderly women) I've met here has spoken English or at least made some kind of effort. Nearly all teens and young people speak English too, sure they've got an accent and get some shit wrong but they generally do fine. French are super fucking self-deprecating though so I can totally see why you would have this blinkered view.

OP: I learnt French just from watching TV/listening to people talk/etc. Now I tend to think in it and dream in it sometimes. It'll come naturally.

Yeah, even in bumble-fuck Chinese boonies there were a few people who at least tried to speak English. Can't imagine France is worse.

All people in the thread are right: you don't translate words in your mind. Sometimes, it's hard to translate some words to your native language, even though you know the meaning - because, words are slightly different. Sometimes, you think in foreign language.
>p with a stick moved up
b?

Bump

eurofag here, french and italian are my native languages but I'm fluent in english and spanish as well

every single job I had in my life was because of my language skills, I could have skipped university but it was too much fun

Do you have telegram? Sorry, I was busy.

Israeli fag here, fluent in Hebrew, French, English and Russian.
i can tell you now it depends, i dream in basically every language, sometimes even in all of them combined ( experiences merge in my dreams and so do the languages )

Thinking also depends on the language i use, i know people who claim to speak 5~8 languages, but they aren't fluent, they literally have to do the whole "word in foreign -> find equivalent -> great -> come up with response"

Being fluent is understanding day to day language, slang, being able to converse with strangers and authorities, making jokes on the spot and more...
I hate people who claim to speak a certain language and then completely fucking shit their pants when you start talking to them.

All in all great experience 10/10, helped me a lot with dating chicks, quoting love poems by Russian authors, or having the sexy french accent used in bars around the US always works wonders.

It's mine. Russian here.
t.me/JosefVonZarub

As someone who did not learn a second language young and so had to study Spanish for a few years (and still is nowhere near fluent) I have noticed that some spanish words I find myself particularly more fond of than their english counterparts so some small words slowly make their way into my common usage where My mind will think of it in Spanish and I will start to naturally say The spanish word instead of the English without realizing. I imagine it slowly happens over time, word by word like this. For me the mains examples are Interesante instead of interesting. Cuando instead of when, Donde instead of Where, and me Das instead of Give me.

retard alert

It's called a dialect

He probably means a more grammatically correct English.

yeah, I know. My point still stands

I speak Spanish as a second language, and most of the time I don’t really have to think about what it means in English because I picked more of it up from talking with friends than learning vocabulary in school. That’s just me though, your mileage may vary.

American here. I speak American ya fuckin turd muffin

>t.