/swg/ + /fmg/ = Film Production General

What genre do you have the most difficulty with? Why?

>Useful Resources
learnaboutfilm.com/
nofilmschool.com/
youtube.com/user/filmriot
youtube.com/user/curtisjudd
youtube.com/user/everyframeapainting
filmmakingessays.tumblr.com/
imsdb.com/

>Free Screenwriting Software
fountain.io/faq
story.adobe.com/
storywriter.amazon.com/
trelby.org/
writerduet.com/
celtx.com/

>Active Contests
screencraft.org/screenwriting-contests/
tblaunchpad.com/

>Strawpoll
strawpoll.me/11094428

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ycfdfinG_P8
youtube.com/watch?v=hXDNGS9V4Us
youtube.com/watch?v=m4DyTjrruVo
youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子
youtube.com/watch?v=mgk6e8gWDbk
thinkprogress.org/save-the-cat-the-book-that-explains-why-more-and-more-movies-seem-exactly-the-same-f9735bdb301#.z00j7wudz
narrativefirst.com/articles/forget-the-cat-save-yourself
slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2013/07/hollywood_and_blake_snyder_s_screenwriting_book_save_the_cat.html
youtube.com/watch?v=VxZPNxvqNsI
vimeo.com/179203602
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I went to Barnes & Nobles today and read almost the entirety of Story by Robert McKee. AMA.

So what program do you all use for your epic n' gnarly screenwriting, and why isn't it Trelby?

>why isn't it Trelby?
For starters, it's ugly as fuck.
What's the point of using a screenwriting software anyway? I always just used Google Docs.

A boy falls in love with a girl.

Unable to confess, he is gifted by a deus ex machina with the girl's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn't exist in this universe at all. She is the girl's alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC's own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of LOVE.

OP: youtube.com/watch?v=ycfdfinG_P8
ED1: youtube.com/watch?v=hXDNGS9V4Us
ED2: youtube.com/watch?v=m4DyTjrruVo
PV: youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
EP 1: youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
EP 13: youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic

IN BOTH THREAD?

Fuck off.

Already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子

I would like to unsubscribe to The Keit-Ai Newsletter.

Just stop responding to him.

is writing with a partner better/funner? I don't get how people like Max Landis can do this shit and pop out so many fully done scripts.

I can never finish one and without someone else's input I can't tell if it's good enough to finish.

I also just get distracted and end up browsing the web or watching movies.

I think I have ADD/ADHD or something....fuck.

Automatic formatting
Ease of use
Logs characters, locations, and just makes things so much easier

It's the same reason people use OS's with GUI's, and not just terminals

I usually end up web browsing/watching movies or pacing around the room. I can't seem to keep focused, even if I think I have a good idea/characters I just can't focus on the project. I end up usually starting one and stopping it and starting another without picking the last one back up again.

>I don't get how people like Max Landis can do this shit and pop out so many fully done scripts.
Don't worry, Max Landis writes horrible scripts. Very few writers/directors should be writing by themselves, and if they do, they should share it with other writers.

I just use Trelby but have tried other websites like writer's duet.

Is there anything else besides Trelby that's open source? No fucking final draft etc.

Maybe you should try planning?

What free software would you recommend? Any from the OP?

at least he can fucking finish them. Mine always end up unfinished, never written or in the recycle bin. My recycle bin is like my permanent screen writing folder.

>all those youtube accounts
> no uptomyknees

Much as you might not like his movies, he gives good advice.

Trelby, or the Libre Office plugin for screenwriting. Everything else comes with a pricetag

Dubscript is also pretty dank if you have Android

What are your ideas? Do you like them? Want to share some of your scripts?

OK here's a few questions.

-how long should a script be? 90 pages aka 130 minutes tops?

-should you care about giving characters last names/exact ages etc?

-how do you come up with titles and do you ever come up with the title first example something like in the movie Seven Psychopaths etc.

-is character dialogue hard to do when you are basically NEET friendless and have little to no experience with the opposite sex?

-should males write female characters?

-should you write characters who are of a different race than you?

Does he do video essays or what? I've just seen his comic book videos.

need advice from you guys

I can take a screenwriting class this semester but still a bit undecided. Should I do it? Is it worth it?

Well I can't share full ones because like I said they end up deleted. I can share some ideas but none of which are great, I just find them entertaining.

One I'm working on now is about an Elvis impersonator living in Vegas who hunts vampires at night. I have in mind Keanu Reeves playing the main hero.

Another is about a merc who runs into his high school crush and lies to her about his career he tells her he programs video games and they hook back up. Until later on another merc finds about about the girl and tries to kill her etc.

Shitty ideas but I find them funny.

I talk through ideas with others but I don't really like writing with another person. It's egotistical but I never find their contributions to be worth much. It might just say more about my friends than general work with partners though.

I basically come up with ideas for shitty b- movies nothing artsy or really dramatic.

Is it free?

After doing some searching, there's also Page2Stage if your running windows, I presume you should have some pretentious shit for OSX pre-installed

>taking a art class ever
Here's an idea that will save time and money, watch a YouTube video how to format your script, read some Alfred Hitchcock (or whatever the fuck movie you like) scripts, study the things that make you entertained by it, then as an exercise, ask a family member or a dear friend what their ideal movie would be, then attempt to write that with the knowledge you've learned

With just like anything in life, you learn exponentially faster by applying the thing you're attempting to learn in a real-world application, and learning as you go along rather than sitting in a class and resenting the thing your learning because some jack off decided to add a numerical rating to what's supposed to be a fun expression of ideas.

I really don't like web based software, I need something I can download and open on a desktop.

I found writer duet really annoying...

I feel bad saying this, but maybe you shouldn't be a writer? Director? What do you want to do exactly?
Your ideas might be more profitable as novels.

How the FUCK do you develop style??? Have I just not watched enough movies?

well I thought about editing because I am really into effects and tech stuff. screen writing is just something I thought about doing if I could never get behind the camera.

I get your point, but I have to ask what Operating system you're using?

>Windows
Trelby, BPC-Screenplay, Libre Office plugin
>OSX
???
>Linux
Trelby, Libre Office plugin
>Android
Dubscript
>iOS
???

I also must ask what's stopping you from pirating Final Draft, or rocking out with Adobe Story?

My advice would be to practice editing and see if you can get a job editing, or directing.
Maybe you could direct short films? You say you have trouble finishing scripts, perhaps focus on a shorter script.

-As long as it needs to be to tell the story. Getting too much over two hours certainly does make for a long movie though.

-Only if that information is relevant.

-It can be a particular line from the movie, a theme, or something descriptive about a character or the plotline. I come up with titles before the plot a lot because there are some sentence structures/thoughts that I have that I then want to create a story around.

-Dialogue is often times hard for anyone to write realistically. Just remember the opposite sex is just like you, you don't need to 'think differently' to write a strong character for the opposite gender, just write a strong character.

-Anyone can write anything that they want.

-See above. You do have to keep in mind that when dealing with issues specific to certain groups that you should try to empathize with their point of view and that you may not know the slang and life experiences well enough to write it effectively. This is where extensive and thoughtful research comes in. Perhaps even interviewing someone with those experiences to get a better feel for their lives.

Stop writing with the thought process of "will people like this? " and start writing with the thought process "would I watch this, and does it convey my message? "

Also try by adding your personality into the screenplay. Do things you think would be cool for a movie to do

I actually thought about doing music videos or short 10/30 minute films.

it's practically free

Thanks for the advice user.

I'll say that 30 minutes is a lot longer than you'd think it is. Start on the shorter side.

I started by coming up with *very* short stories. Things that could be shown in less than a minute and writing and shooting those.

I actually would love doing music videos or short films I love the Harmony Korine one with Die Antwoord I think it's called Get Me My Machine Gun or something. Also a music video by The Shoes was really good starring Jake Gyllenhaal.

I think I should just stick with music videos or short films.

Take it, fuck what the other user said. Youtube isn't everything.
If anything the class will at least force you to write.

I'm glad I could help. Find some local musicians and get some shit shot.
Can't wait to see what you come up with.

>Also try by adding your personality into the screenplay.
I'm not sure I have a personality.
>Do things you think would be cool for a movie to do
Visually? Musically? Writing-wise? I'm not really sure what I find cool either.

Why do you want to make movies then?

>Present day New York. A wealthy insecure doctor lives alone, devoured by self-pity and overbearing loneliness. After a particularly shitty week he finally decides to end it all, but fails in suicide. In his disastrous failure, nearly destroying his apartment, he remembers the family secret: He's a direct descendant of Victor Frankenstein. With his ancestor's notes he sets forth building the woman of his dreams, but the one thing he can't build is her personality.

Shit or very shit?

user who mentioned the YouTube thing, and the user has merit. I was merely throwing a suggestion, and yes, It will at least force you to write, but if you were passionate about screenwriting in the first place you'd already be writing.

Do I need to definite reason? I've never thought too in-depth about it. All I can tell you is that I've wanted to be creative my whole life, at first thinking I wanted to be an inventor, then an author. It wasn't until my late teens when I realized that film is my favorite medium.
I'm just worried about being derivative and not having my own recognizable style. I want to make music and I worry about it there too.

>if you were passionate about screenwriting in the first place you'd already be writing.
I GUESS

I suppose you don't need a reason but what does it say if you don't have one?

Typically people want to make movies because there's something in their head that they want to put out there for other people to see. If you have no vision or if you don't even really know what it is in movies that you think is cool then it makes me think that you don't have that much of desire to actually make movies.

It's the difference between wanting to be seen as being creative and being creative. If you have no story to tell, or any interesting visions to show then what are you doing?

I'd watch it

I never said I didn't have ideas. And who the fuck would want to put in effort just to seem like their creative? Not everyone needs to be creative, and creativity is usually shit on.

Thanks, everybody in the last thread said it was completely horrible.

Why does he have to be related to Frankenstein, why not just make him think of making a girl?

Why not?

i don't know if you guys remember me. i talked about wanting to write a supernatural horror / western sometime last year.

well, i've written fuck all except a character sheet and the first scene since then. i don't know if i can keep up the charade. i should just call it quits and go back to school.

Share the character sheet. What's so difficult for you?

holy shit these threads are terrible, and they seem to be getting worse still

Saying that you're not sure if you have a personality and that you're not sure what's cool in movies led me to believe that you didn't have any ideas for stories either. If that's not the case then that's better, at least you've got there.

Also, I have no idea what you're talking about with creativity being shit on usually. Just about everyone on the planet feels a creative drive and a lot of motivation for social media is delivering the appearance of being creative.

If you have any questions on your stories I'm always in these threads and I try to participate in a constructive and helpful way towards everyone so feel free to post any and the people of the thread might be able to help you with creative shooting ideas or editing styles. I would recommend if you don't do that to try and see your movie in your head while you read through the ideas and see what kind of shots you come up with and then asking if those shots are motivated by the story and if not, try and find a way to do that.

Cool dubs. The weekends are always hard on these threads. They'll get better throughout the week.

explain yourself fool

Well what did you expect from a bunch of meme-spouting kids who don't actually write or produce anything? Most of these posters are in highschool who think they're "filmmakers" because they own a DSLR. Look at the bright side, these threads seem to function well as a containment for cancerous wannabes.

i have all of the major points in my head, i just don't know how to bridge them together in a way that properly fleshes out the characters and isn't pointless bullshit.

>I have no idea what you're talking about with creativity being shit on usually.
In schools and workplaces.
>If you have any questions on your stories I'm always in these threads
I think I need to completely rework one of my ideas, talking might help. I really don't want to give up on it completely.

Writing characters is all about knowing WHAT THEY WANT and HOW THEY PLAN TO GET IT. This is like fucking storytelling 101. You people are fucking hopeless.

Get it out of your head and onto paper. Write it down in a way that a person not familiar with the story will understand the basics. Keeping it in your head is a bad idea. When you write it down like you were trying to explain it to another person you'll start to see the problems and solutions. It will also get your creativity flowing and once you've started it'll be easier to keep going.

Look up Save The Cat's beat sheet and try and put your story into those beats and see where you've got too much and too little going on.

Study structure, fool.

youtube.com/watch?v=mgk6e8gWDbk

>Save The Cat
You want to encourage him to write shit?

It's more likely that these posters don't have a clue because they've never cracked open a screenwriting book or have ever attended a lecture on creative writing.

Because it's shit writing?

"Oh I'm related to Dr. Frankenstein so that makes me somehow gives me the ability to make people from dead body parts, even though he just used his mind and science!"

He a doctor already, making monsters isn't in your genes.

>cinefix

oh fuck no. i don't even have to watch this video to know how shit this is. do yourself a favor and read a book for a change.

>In schools and workplaces.

I would have to disagree heartily but it doesn't really matter.

Feel free to post in here tonight or tomorrow. I need to go to bed now (Yikes, when did it become 2:20?) but I'll try and find it tomorrow and respond or other anons will.

Save The Cat isn't shit. It's *basic* story telling and he should learn some of those basics if he has no idea what to do. You can break the rules and do something entirely different but it's good to know some of these basics. Besides, he's made more money off of screenplays than any of us ever will.

So I'm lost, maybe you all can help with guidance.

I'm currently brainstorming a war story. Nothing special in the story itself, it's about a guy trying to save his brother from being used as prop by enemy forces in an attempt to convey treachery and cause his army force to disorganize. The problem lies in the overall way I want the movie to be interpreted.

I want to have a sort of balance between popcorn-flick blunt storytelling, and Charlie-kaufman-esque interpretation through vagueness, and controlled visual and audio storytelling. What would be my best course of action if it don't want it to become a huge uncoordinated mess??

It's actually pretty good, dude.

>"Oh I'm related to Dr. Frankenstein so that makes me somehow gives me the ability to make people from dead body parts, even though he just used his mind and science!"
He uses his ancestor's notes. I literally typed in the last sentence of the premise "With his ancestor's notes".

thinkprogress.org/save-the-cat-the-book-that-explains-why-more-and-more-movies-seem-exactly-the-same-f9735bdb301#.z00j7wudz
narrativefirst.com/articles/forget-the-cat-save-yourself
slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2013/07/hollywood_and_blake_snyder_s_screenwriting_book_save_the_cat.html

I guess thats better, but why not just find the notes at where he works or something? Why does he have to be related, just seems like its shoved in

I don't know why you have such a problem with it, user, I personally find it more interesting that way. And why would the notes of Victor Frankenstein be at his workplace?
If it makes you feel better, this isn't actually something I'm working on (at least at the moment). I came up with the whole idea in about a minute as practice. It's just a modern Young Frankenstein through the eyes of a pervert.

I don't know, I feel he could work at a very prestigious college in Europe (pretty sure Frankenstein was set there) he finds an old office to kill himself in with old papers, flips through them, and finds the notes.

That could happen, but I wouldn't want to set the story in some small European town. A beautiful monster woman could cause a much bigger ruckus in a big city, and I imagine this guy as a pop scientist/doctor. Imagine Bill Gates, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, or Bill Nye.

What's more important is figuring out what it is about the monster woman's personality that repulses him so much and what happens in the end. Does he get rid of her? Do they fall in love against all odds? Does she ditch him and fall for another man becoming more human? Anything could be done.

So can I just rip this guy off?

youtube.com/watch?v=VxZPNxvqNsI

Well if you intend for this to be somewhat comedic, you could do something like Hot Fuzz or Shawn of the Dead, the humor is highlighted because its in smaller towns, more stuff can go on without problems arising like cops.

Yeah, I thought about that, but cops could make it more interesting, like Blues Brothers.
It could be a drama or a comedy. It might work best as a drama and comedy.

don't let this thread die you fucking dumbasses

Fade In cause it's just great for me.

latest short

vimeo.com/179203602

right so, working on my funding proposal and part of this is making documents about prospective foreign film festivals, marketing and distribution, budgeting for the applications, target audience and the like. I need your help, lads.

Can you point me towards any decent short film festivals that specialize in artsy indie shorts?

On a side note, any recommendations for filming techniques that accentuate the themes of loneliness, loss and something that makes the viewer feels closer to the person emotionally? Taking advice. I really appreciate it.

Got the Author's Statement of Intent and most of the Director's Statement done, I'm timing the pacing of the film to see roughly how long it'd take, contacting friends from all over the globe to help me with the film festival thing as well and roping in crew.

you should give up then, no easier solution, you're just wasting time as it seems

I'd rather take a film workshop class so you learn how to operate and think as a director. It's pretty important to know how to visualize a movie before you start writing and screenwriting classes don't teach you that, just the basic formatting and tips.

>FadeIn Pro looks so good
>can't find a pirated torrent anywhere

It's still not worth $50, Trelby does the same and is just missing dual dialogue, something that can be done in a PDF editing tool if really necessary.