So I just watched this for like the 3rd time and it just dawned on me, what the fuck was his purpose in the film...

So I just watched this for like the 3rd time and it just dawned on me, what the fuck was his purpose in the film? Was he some sort of collector or what?

his purpose was to job

yes, but what was that job?! collect or what? It seem shim and anton had history, right and I'm assuming unsettled debt between them.

The whole movie was retarded, nonsensical and devoid of any meaning other than pseudo philosophical garbage.

he was hired to kill sugar and get the breifcase. the better question is why did sugar go rogue. if he had these wierd morals he stuck to, why did he betray his organization?

stick to game of thrones

yea, thats another thing with sugar and them. However, it seems the guy who hired carlson had no idea of how bad sugar was, so I'm guessing both of them went on their ways with sugar going rogue and being a hitman for hire and carlson went the oppposite direction.

HOWEVER, it leaves it open to interpretation as it seems there was bad blood between them and carlson ends up getting cap'd without much background into it.

Stick to your fedora.

This. I don't know why people pretend to like this movie.

Basically just a vessel for exposition

His purpose:

1. Converse with the guy in the tower. This gives us some broader backstory and sense of who is involved. The scene where Anton kills him would make no sense then.

2. Have that scene with Lewellyn at the hospital.

3. Have that scene with Anton and get killed.

>This.

hello red*it

so he was just used as filler to showcase how bad sugar actually was, in other words this ?

>if he had these wierd morals he stuck to, why did he betray his organization?

He believes he's above destiny and that he can set his own path. He's disgusted by the store owner because he never tried to do anything, and had his life set up for him. Anton sees himself as the exact opposite.

So Anton is given the job of collecting the briefcase. He's probably a cartel hitman. Gritty job with not great pay. Why should he slave away at this shit until he eventually gets killed or arrested himself? He sees the opportunity and takes it.

I'm a bonafide pleb, but No Country is a movie that manages to feel gripping for the entire duration. It's constantly moving, always tense. The entire movie I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next.

The "protagonist" was unceremoniously killed off and treated as a "matter of fact" after his death

The sheriff had little to nothing to do with the plot nor was he there to do anything, really. The sheriff was there to merely quip and share his story that also didnt fit the context of the movie

The villain Anton Chigurh is treated as an unkillable man more akin to a metaphor of life or a force of nature that literally chooses to destroy the lives of people on a whim. Bardem delivers a solid performance painting a cold calculating unrelenting monster that follows through his own principles yet the motives of his character is too vague.

As a matter of fact what was the point of the movie? What was the point of building up the cat and mouse journey of Llewelyn and Chigurh only to abruptly end it and cut to Tommy Lee Jones rambling about his nonsensical dreams? It's easy to see the metaphors that the movie tries to establish through Chigurh as he thwarts every scheming character but is that it? Am I supposed to applaud such juvenile dull philosophical garbage that relies too heavily on the source material to differentiate itself enough to build a consistent experience?

Why are there so many No Country threads right now? I'm not complaining because I love this movie, but it came out 8 years ago. Why are there suddenly so many threads?

You sound like a huge faggot

Movie has some real staying power, unlike so many Best Pictures. And multiple threads spurn more threads. It's just a fad that will die out.

Just go back to calling BvS a modern masterpiece, if NCFOM flew over your head that much your not ready to discuss cinema.

Same for you.

>only 15 minutes of scoring
>it's all just a low ominous bass that you can barely notice

Actually it's a very political movie. Moss is the people, Chigurh is the post-reaganian capitalism who follows his own logic only him understands and the sheriff is the old statist authority who has no idea what is going on and is unable to protect his people.

Just got put on Netflix.

Did Chigurh died?

>So I just watched this for like the 3rd time
Ew

>it just dawned on me, what the fuck was his purpose in the film?
Characters don't need a purpose in respect to the film, they need one in respect to the story, And his purpose was pretty clearly explained in his opening scene.

> It seem shim and anton had history, right *and I'm assuming unsettled debt* between them.
What in the fuck would make you think that?

Thank you.

You're an idiot.

>end with him walking away with non fatal injuries
>did he die?

Except I don't agree that the sheriff didn't fit within the context of the movie

Everyone was more or less simple and everyone had a different perspective. The Sheriff was like the anchor for the movie. He gave everything perspective. And I think the character himself fit really well

Hes just a regular kinda dude,
With a big ass dick

Carson was sent after Anton because he went rogue.
Carson is kinda like Antone, a hit man type character, but he failed.

Whoa, when did Marty wear a cowboy hat?

Oh wow, expect nothing less from Sup Forums

>The villain Anton Chigurh is treated as an unkillable man more akin to a metaphor of life or a force of nature that literally chooses to destroy the lives of people on a whim. Bardem delivers a solid performance painting a cold calculating unrelenting monster that follows through his own principles yet the motives of his character is too vague.
and is scared of a meanie trailer park lady

>And at that moment we truly became Zombieland

>He believes he's above destiny

You ever think it's weird how destiny can only be applied retroactively

I sure hope that liberal arts degree is worth it for shitposting on Sup Forums

From someone who never watches tv, how often are movies like this and TWBB played?

It feels like most people wouldn't really like them both.

He was a professional building floor counter

>purpose

Why does everything need purpose? Legitimately serious question.

They're two of the most accessible movies in the "middlebrow" genre. First year "film buff" favorites.

I havent read the book in a long time, but woody's job was to kill Chigurh after he went rogue. The reason Chigurh went rogue was because he was offended and irritated once he realized he wasn't the only person assigned to the job of tracking down the money. At the end of the book, after the car crash, Chigurh actually shows up at the office of whoever hired him to track it down and he returns the money.

What better movies then?
I feel like I've seen quite a few movies and those two are still my favorite.

Less so for any other reason than they're story driven realism. It's the same reason why I'm a big fan of Killing Them Softly

In the movie he shows up at the office to kill the guy

In what way does it say the reason why he did it

You just named one.

The point of the sheriff was that we are watching a person who is now old that suddenly finds himself out of touch and helpless in dealing with the destruction and evil that is anton chigurh, and also moss's decision to try to evade chigurh which the sheriff cant comprehend. The film is literally called 'No Country For Old Men'. Times have changed and the sheriff realized it. That's why he's always 2 steps behind chigurh and he only really ever see's the aftermath of what's going on. Im pretty sure there was a scene in the book where the sheriff goes back to the hotel where moss was hiding the money in the vent and hes just sitting there in his car at night and suddenly realizes that chigurh is also there because theres another car in the lot. I think the sheriff doesnt do anything or he drives away or something I cant remember.

The film and book are excellent and are both masterpieces in their medium

These Netflix threads are so laughable.

You can really see their average consumer in these threads, only being able to discuss plot points and the dialogue and that's the whole movie for them. What happens, how "real" is it and what does it "mean" wow

Pathetic.

Are you sure he shows up to kill the guy? You might be right I honestly havent read it in a while

No my bad, we are talking about two different people. That scene where he shoots the guy in the face with the birdshot was in the book too, im talking about a different scene at the very end. hes waiting to meet somebody in an office with the briefcase and he hands it over and they have a conversation about a painting on the wall.

Not that guy but he kills the guy in the book as well using birdshot. I can't remember who hired who but i'm pretty sure there is another guy after the money that isn't in the movie and that's who anton gives the money to. But it's a bit of a mess in my mind.

yeah you might be right, I'm gonna have to read it again. there definitely is a party that the movie leaves out, but not at the films expense imo.

he was there for his files

>In the movie
He killed the employer in the movie. He asked the accountant why he hired more men but he doesn't seem that phased by the answer

Never read the book but this makes me want to read Blood Meridian

Is Drive the best and least accessible?

Op annoyed me too. Not because of what you're saying, but because he's asking a question about a character that was answered in that characters opening scene. And the idea of an 'unsettled debt' between Anton and Woody when it was clear they were mostly indifferent to eachother and acquainted through their line of work.

But while you're on your high horse please tell me why you liked the movie

Drive is very accessible. It attracts an even more "Sup Forumseddit autismal" audience that these movies. You only have to look at how hated OGF was to see how accessible Drive was.

Watch the Pusher trilogy by Nicholas Refn. fucking excellent films. feels like youre watching a documentary

This

I catched it for a second tiem on the flicks

>I like Coen brother movies

great post

Hitman and baggage claim

Sugah and Wells were homosexual lovers years back. They had a break up and Chigger was still miffed about it.

>mfw no one caught the dialogue at the end of the movie, between the El Paso sheriff and Jones
>Harrelson was an ex-colonel
>the presence of a tracking device on the money indicates that this was a government sting operation gone awry
>Chigurh was brought in as a "cleaner", killing all witnesses to the failed operation
>Jones realized all this, and decided to pursue the case no further, lest he be cleaned up by Chigurh
>hence his haunted dream at film's end, where he laments disappointing his dead father

>'I didn't understand it, therefore it's nonsense'

HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I caught the dialogue
but more the
>when you stop hearing the Maams and Sirs the rest is soon to faller
>it aint just the one thing
I faintly only faintly remember Harrelson being referred to as a ex colonel, but he also mentioned to Llewellyn that he was a vet so that's not very ground shattering

And the fact that there was a transponder present with 2 million dollars definitely doesn't make me think it's a sting. Why would the cartel and Anton have access to the locating device?

I never thought of it as a sting operation before.
Are you sure the transponder wasn't just there as a precaution? In case pretty much exactly what happened, happened? I do like your thought though.

I'm also not sure about the disappointing his father thing. In his dream he seemed to be very much in the role of the child, the one looking to be taken care of by the father. It was like a dream that showed him that he never felt he truly grew up into a man. Maybe this could be seen as a disappointment to his father, but I don't think that's the best lens to view it through.

The idea that Bell feels like a disappointment to what he perceives as the stronger values of his father's generation are plain enough, but the scene with his uncle dismisses some of his rose-tinted musings on the nature of the past. He reminds the sheriff that this land has always been violent, more violent even, in the past.

Literally tv in a nutshell jesus. The internet has this odd effect where it makes the common idiot feel like his stock is worth a damn.

Am I completely remembering it wrong because it didn't seem like there was anything to indicate disappointment or regression in the dream

I just watched the scene on youtube
>I'm older than he ever was by about 20 years so in a sense I was the older man
It seemed like his father represented his youth. The money he lost that his father was going to five him was courage / energy etc

The darkness and cold of the second dream symbolized evil and / or the current times and / or death. His father, the younger but still somehow more experienced man had his head down and he was going to make a fire. He knew whenever he got there (definitely death in this case) his father would be there waiting for him

If you like the movie, do yourself a favor and check out the book. It expands on every idea and theme that the movie wasn't able to in it's limited runtime. Like Sheriff Bell's guilt about what he did in world war II, and a few more scene with Carson that explain his character a bit better. Also his death scene is even harder to read than it is to watch

>He did look away

Oh christ. You're right. I'm remembering it totally wrong.
Need to read the book again.

If I recall correctly, he held up his hand and looked away right?

Do you remember a part from the book, after the hotel shootout between Chigurh and Moss, Carson goes to the hotel to investigate. He goes up to one of the rooms and finds the days old corpse of an old woman with the back of her head blown out. The shot that killed her is implied to be from Moss' gun, he takes pictures and laters shows them to moss.

Does this happen in the book or am I just making it up as something I think would be cool?

Does any one feel that the antagonist actually got away? Honestly i felt there was no way he could have an eventually he'd be caught. He was completely injured and theres no way he would make it without going to the hospital

Yea, something like that. Moss dies badass tho, a witness gives an account of what happened and apparently Moss kept killing mexicans even after he got shot right in the fucking mouth.

Back to jewddit plz

I'm starting to doubt my recollection of the book, but I don't think that happens.

Well I only listened to the audio book and that was a year ago now so I doubt im right about anything either

It's a sad feeling when you realise how little is retained, or how much is lost.

>wind is blowing
>windmill is not moving

Seems like everyone needs to rewatch this scene. Though some of you are close.

Tell me about it, doesn't Sheriff Bell have a monologue at the beginning of each chapter? With that and his World War II subplot being gotten rid of, he doesn't work as well as a character as Moss or Chigurh in the film

Blood meridian is very different but it's amazing and an intense experience

You definitely need to be in a certain mindset to fully retain audio.

That sounds interesting though. I'm guessing it would have been an accident

>There's a floor missing
What did he mean by this?
Seriously

His purpose was expository dialogue. So fucking stupid. He certainly wasn't an architect

Are you implying the sherrif wasn't the protagonist?

>what the fuck was his purpose in the film?

Insight, and clarity of Anton Chigurh's background as a career criminal.

>Was he some sort of collector or what?
He described himself as a day trader, someone who works his business of crime more out in the open.

/thread

>he thinks movies need to make sense, have a meaning or some kind of message in order to be good

>tfw he's going to give the runaway girl some money so she can start a decent life
>they seem so happy
>seen the movie so I know what's coming

T_T

Yes, that happens.

>What was the point of building up the cat and mouse journey of Llewelyn and Chigurh only to abruptly end it
>I have never read cormac McCarthy: the post

READ A FUCKING BOOK. NOT EVERYTHING HAS TO BE SO FUCKING CONCRETE. THEYRE JUST INTERESTING CHARACTERS. DECIDE FOR YOU FUCKING SELF WHAT IT MEANS.