I hate them all as people so much

one of the most consistently good discographies ive heard

Amazing instrumentals often ruined by god awful hackneyed vocal melodies

gimme a quicc rundown on why you hate each member

yeah this

fuck you other posters

>Sonic Youth
>They're all old

just watch their interviews. they're always either super immature, huge dicks or a mix of both

>They're no longer sonic
What's your point?

Maybe if you ignore their 90's output.

This, they made great albums in 3 different decades, not many bands can say that

the nardwuar interview is so bad it taints my opinion of them as a band and I know I shouldn't it's that bad

same to be honest wit you

Why is Jim O'Rourke the best member?

How do you feel about Blur?

They're Gen Xers. Gen X cool was really fucking mean.

Like, snarky, insincere, prickish, constantly grinning and winking at each other and being arch and ironic and being really stark in who they exclude.

Good post. Good digits.

Lydia Lunch is a good example of everything horrible about "Gen X cool" all wrapped up into one giant turd.

Yeah, the punks and everyone influenced by them (Nirvana, Sonic Youth, etc) were the worst about this. Total fucking assholes. Just terrible people. And not that I judge music for that (I generally dislike most of that music for other reasons), but I dislike them personally though nonetheless.

I'm really glad Gen X aren't informing the times anymore. There were a few things from them I really liked (rave, shoegaze/dreampop) but the punks were awful and I'm glad it's all dead.

The industrialists were more punk than the punks when you think about it: these sorts couldn't hold a candle to figures like Genesis, Sleazy or Balance. And yet all of those guys (while they probably had their asshole moments during their big drug heydays) were never near as insufferably *cruel* as these sorts were. Truly cruelty just for the sake of it.

Genesis P-Orridge seems downright pleasant compared to a try hard like Lydia. And you could tell they were the real deal too.

Oh God this

itt millenial normcore

>Kim Gordon is only six years younger than Trump

ITT: nardwuar cocksuckers assblasted over SY again

Would you?

I still would

youtube.com/watch?v=zdzY49xlvdY
Best Sonic Youth interview feat. Beck.

Is Beck Autistic?

He's a scientologist

What? Goo, Dirty and Washing Machine are all so damn good

It was a reaction against the boomers and their sunny hippie-dippie optimism. If the Beatles were the consummate expression of the boomer mentality, then Black Flag were the consummate expression of the Gen Xer mentality.

Literally no outright bad albums, including NYCG&F. Only weak patch was early '90s
Yikes!
My lad Washing Machine and A Thousand Leaves are some of their all time high points

>Literally no outright bad albums
>Yikes!
?

user chose to defend their '90s output by using their weakest albums as examples. Not that Goo or Dirty or terrible or anything

>This, they made great albums in 3 different decades, not many bands can say that
Judas Priest maybe since Painkiller came out in 1990.

Yeah Millenials are a lot more sunny and not as exclusionist as Gen Xers. The whole punk mentality doesn't translate onto Millenials at all.

Dirty is dangerously mediocre. Goo is good. Washing Machine is good.

Dirty is dangerously mediocre. Goo is dangerously mediocre. Experimental Jetset is good. Washing Machine is excellent. A Thousand Leaves is excellent

Kim was born in 1954, she's really a late boomer.

Yeh but a lot of bands comprised of boomers did have mostly Gen Xer fans. Like all of the first wave metal guys.

You're right. If a young artist of today said some of the things that Thurston Moore or Kim Deal said in interviews back then, he'd probably get punched in the face.

"They were our Beatles."

-- Eddie Vedder on the Ramones

Twenty One Pilots and Tame Impala really pretty much reflect the Millenial mindset.

Yeah, the Gen Xers traded that 60s optimism and peace/love for this angry, cold self-flagellation.

Just ask Billy Corgan. He's every last one of those in one individual.

Oh god yes, this times a thousand. Eddie Vedder is exactly the same. He was too good and too cool for MTV so he decided to take his band and hole up in a cave on Mars somewhere.

I've heard Gen Xers say Millenials are too soft and coddled.

RHCP did it.

Actually no since RHCP never made a good album in any decade.

Some of my earliest experiences of posting on the Internet were on alt.tv.simpsons when I was like 15. Most of the posters there were of the Gen Xer sort and wow, what a bunch of sarcastic, edgy faggots. Of course they also treated the board like their s00per sekrit clubhouse.

Like for example, a lot of people would ask about Lisa's saxophone solo in "Lisa's Sax" (Baker Street). This question got asked so many times that it got annoying and almost meme-tier, so it got to the point where if you asked "Aiyyo, what's the name of the song in Lisa's Sax", they'd just give you some sarcastic non-answer. Well, one time I see one of these threads and my innocent teenage self who was only trying to be helpful said "Oh, the song is Baker Street".

Man, did I get a load of flames for that. It was like I'd broken one of the cardinal rules of the group which is "Do not give serious answers to people who ask about that song."