I want to try and learn to ski

I want to try and learn to ski.
Since I'm just trying it out what kind of clothing should I get for a complete beginner? Equipment is included during lesson.

Based on my research snow pants and an outer shell are a must.
I went to Sport Chek but the prices are abyssal for a pair of pants or a shell. Any tips where I should be shopping for these?

Other urls found in this thread:

sportsdirect.com/skiing
canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/outbound-men-s-hooded-puffy-jacket-raven-1871354p.html
canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/broadstone-men-s-snow-pants-black-0871817p.html#srp
canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/outbound-lightweight-pack-jacket-blue-men-s-1870486p.html#srp
canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/polar-fleece-lined-snow-pants-men-s-0871330p.html
sportchek.ca/categories/deals-and-features/wk03-advertised/wk03-mw-winter-clearance/product/columbia-ascender-ii-mens-softshell-jacket-331117355.html
youtube.com/watch?v=FMqADdsVmwQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hey it's Tignes, great station went there for 15 years and comeback this year

Ski pants and ski jackets are needed, along with gloves, ski socks and a helmet for beginners like you, I think there is a large range of price anyway you can buy these items

Look up here for example sportsdirect.com/skiing

Waterproof ski pants, jacket, gloves are a must. Get a knit hat and ski goggles. You can rent skis, poles, and boots. Just check sporting good stores or ski shops.

I chipped a tooth and bruised my eye skiing last week. The pole fucked me up

hahahahaha

1) ask any friends and relatives if they have a skiing jacket + pants you can borrow, maybe other equipment too, such as goggles.
2) you can rent helmets, spine protectors etc. from any ski shop in the skiing area you're going to (but at least a helmet will probably be provided if you're taking courses)
3) make sure to get proper ski socks and ski underwear (both for your legs and torso) get good waterproof gloves, perhaps with thin undergloves underneath (same concept applies with thin socks under ski socks)
4) get a balaclava or something similar depending on the temperature of your destination or if you want to reduce the risk of sunburn

idk... apart from the essentials such as water/windproof jacket, pants, gloves and skiing underwear, everything else just depends on how you are with cold weather

taking long ski lifts can really cool you down and you'll be more prone to injury going down the slopes

remember to pizza

>lives in canada and doesn't have a good winter jacket
>going to ski hill isn't a big deal
vancouverite detected

if you've never gone before, don't know if downhill is the best way to get into it

sport chek sucks in general
craigslist and consignment stores might be good

if you want to get into it, wait until the season is done for a winter close out sale

Why did you do wrong?

Spine protectors? I don't think I ever saw those. Are they really needed?

So far my list of essentials:
water-proof non-insulated ski pants
water resistant wind-resistant non-insulated outer shell
ski socks(the smartwool ones I think they are called in America)
balaclava

I already have base layers for legs and torso that wick sweat, an old acrylic hat, gloves.
I was told I wouldn't need goggles because I won't be skiing too fast.

Am from Toronto.

I have one of those goose down heavy jackets but from what I've read it's too heavy and heat won't escape well. Instead I should layer it up with base, mid and outer layers. I got base. Might need a fleece for mid layer.

I assume I'll be taught on one of those bunny hills.

I don't want to deal with craigslist for clothing. I don't mind shelling out some extra for ski ready clothing but I don't need the high end stuff like Arctyx with Goretex or whatever for $300-600+
I saw ski pants for sale at $70 at another sports store but they ran out of stock. That much closer to my budget.

So you're saying skip skiing this winter and go Dec 2017?

Correction: outer shell is wind-proof

I did, but Sport Check/Sporting Life are expensive IMO. I see better deals online but don't want to risk buying without trying it on first.

GET A HELMET NIGGER OR YOU END UP LIKE SCHUMI

Ofc breh. Ill rent one on the spot.

Don't be a faggot, rent a snowboard instead

You don't actually need the helmet unless you plan on skiing into a tree.

>So you're saying skip skiing this winter and go Dec 2017?
no, just see if it's something you like enough to invest in before you invest in it, meant other stuff like actual skis too

did you look at canadian tire? they're the same company as sport chek, but better prices

canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/broadstone-men-s-snow-pants-black-0871817p.html#srp

the whole layers thing is based off on going for 8 hours, doubt you'll be able to last that long in rental boots

Oh yeah that's what I'm planning on. But apparently I only have jeans for pants and that's probably the worst thing to wear.

>did you look at canadian tire?
No, I didn't actually. Will check it out.
The puffy jacked looks like it would be used as middle layer?

Pants, it says, are discontinued though.

skiing is retarded

Why?

>canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/outbound-lightweight-pack-jacket-blue-men-s-1870486p.html#srp
Would this jacket work as outer shell? It doesn't say it's wind/water proof.

try looking around at different locations in toronto

you just wear a pair of long johns under the pants
the jacket isn't a middle layer, other than a shirt it's the only layer

are you or your parents immigrant(s)?
seem kind of clueless about winter

>the jacket isn't a middle layer, other than a shirt it's the only layer
Dunno man...you're going against what I've read online and what I've been told by some sales reps at sports store.

Are you Canadian?
I just never bought anything for skiing purposes.

I've skied in windy -20C conditions and long johns and long-sleeved undershirt was enough under the outer layers.

I see.
Are long johns and undershirt made of synthetic material I presume?

I think most are.
100% wool is only needed in very low temps.

>This thread
>Prairie folk try to educate Sanjay about alpine skiing and winter

Protip: Just because the folks from Vegreville say they've been to Banff every winter doesn't mean they know shit about skiing.

The way you dress will depend on your tolerance for cold and the actual weather outside. I'm guessing Blue Mountain is where you want to learn so check the weather. Anything beyond -15 becomes uncomfortable for newcomers because chairlifts are damn cold.

Okay. I would just that goose-down puffy jacked as outer layer?:

I think it's a bit hard to say. Like does it function as a wind breaker if it's windy? Breathable can be fine, but it depends on the environment.
Also, it's important that you don't have cracks between your outer layers. You don't want your jacket to be too short so the inner layer between it and your pants is exposed when you move.

>what I've been told by some sales reps at sports store

yes goy, buy three $50 jackets instead of one $75 one, they're cheaper!

Last time I went skiiing I tried to go straight down a blue as fast as possible and completely ate shit, the snow patrol guy just asked if I was okay when I was obviously concussed and just drove away...

Wouldn't layering make more sense since you can adjust the amount of layers?
You put on:
wicking base layer such as your long sleeved undershirt for torso
wicking base layer such as your long johns or the men's thighs
fleece hoodie for mid layer to trap your body heat
wind/water-proof shell without any down to keep you safe from elements and let sweat evaporate
ski pants

You take off the shell if it's warm or put on if it's windy.

By the way, here's average temps in Toronto month by month.

ironically skiing classes are all full, but there's lots of seats in snowboarding.

Derailing thread for a bit: I used to ski when I was a teenager, but I've put on a bit of weight (40 lbs majority fat and some muscle) since then. Recently I went to a pickup bball game but found out my knees are not what they used to be.

Anyway, the question I wanted to ask is if snowboarding is less taxing on your knees than skiing? Would love to hit the slopes again.

Yes it is

What's the learning curve like for snowboarding?

How can you be a canadian and just now picking up skiing?

Rule of thumb: you get what you pay for

When it comes to jacket and pants you want something waterproof and fairly thick. Still layer clothing underneath.

I typically wear an underarmor tight shirt, a t-shirt, and a thin, light hoodie. I have compression short-style underwear and that's warm enough for me, but some people wear more.

The cold will burn your face so invest in a balaclava or some sort of face covering; try for a loose one that you can tuck your nose in if its sensitive to the cold (this will go away with time).

Goggles are up to you; you can spend a couple hundred and get premium goggles (I've got Oakley Prizms) or thirty bucks on a simple pair.

I wish I could tell you boots were easy, but you need to try them on and see how they feel on your feet. They should be snug but not bending your toe when you lean forward. If they're too narrow or too wide you can lose control if a ski pops up.

Your first set of skis should be thin, this will give you better turning and a little more control. They are also primarily for corduroy snow and not powder or clumpy mashed potatoes. When you get better with your skis and you want to upgrade, wider skis will handle shitty snow and power very well, but they are heavy and harder to turn.

Pole height for me is at the belly ( I use smaller poles ) but some people get them at the ribs. The poles will primarily used for balance and dragging on the snow but don't use them as a crutch if you lose control on the slopes; more body, less pole in that case.

Go slow, don't go straight down the mountain. Learn to go back and forth and pizza as a last resort. Turning is done with your ankles and knees.

Confidence is the biggest thing in skiing. If you aren't confident, you'll ride the mountain on your butt. Don't be cocky, though, and overextend to harder runs. Diamonds are for when you can tear up a hard blue.

I think asking 4chans this question is a bad idea, ask a friend or family member to help you get your shit together

If u are a minority and are going without friends/family that ski prepare to have a very strange experience my brown friend.

you'll fall a lot the first day.

will these pants and jacket do for snowboarding?:
canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/polar-fleece-lined-snow-pants-men-s-0871330p.html

sportchek.ca/categories/deals-and-features/wk03-advertised/wk03-mw-winter-clearance/product/columbia-ascender-ii-mens-softshell-jacket-331117355.html

Don't buy soft shell for snowboarding.
Unless you never touch the snow you're gonna get a wet ass and freeze.

I've got the same issue as you user,
after an ACL tear I have found it very taxing on my knees to ski for extended periods

I took two days of snowboard classes which was enough to go solo and improve on my own

Your ass/tailbone is gonna be sore the first couple of days but snowboarding is pretty relaxing

I think we can all agree that skiing > snowboarding though

This, it's harder to learn but easier to master. Skiing is the exact oposite.

Underrated post.

Michael? Are you able to communicate again?

Get something like a rain jacket and inside of it wear a down jacket and you'll be fine I do it all the time and ski for 8+ hours in -15 degrees Celsius

It's probably too late for a cheap season pass, but skiing is great exercise for you fatties on here

an hour of skiing can burn 250-500 calories depending on how hard you're pushing yourself

wait... why would you put effort into skiing? aren't u going downhill just like with snowboarding?

youtube.com/watch?v=FMqADdsVmwQ

What the fuck did he put under his skis to slide on grass?

Holy fuck no. Pizza is cancer. French Fries only, this Leaf must not be Quebecois. The snow plow thing will never go away and you'll never be able to transition out of the plow to parallel. You'll have to reposition everything.

Srs, get comfy drifting with skis parallel to each other but perpendicular to the slope. After you drift a bit and lean to stop, you'll feel safe enough.

The skis today are shaped, so if you lean, you'll turn.

The BIGGEST thing people do to fuck up is they move their outside ski and arm together. then they heave their body around to do it again.

When you walk, the arm opposite the forward leg moves forward, you don't move the same arm and leg forward. Same with skiing.

Borrow and rent everything but long johns and go have fun.

More likely he'll get cratered by another skier while trying to avoid the boarder who is sitting on his ass smoking.

Minnysnowtan here, depending on how cold it is you only need a thick shell or pants for the single digits and below. The amount of people I see skiing with jeans and a track jacket is ridiculous.
I bought an decent pair of skis for about 200 off of craigslist, nowhere near racing, or trick rated. Just a standard pair of Rosi's.
Boots were a different ordeal, I went through REI. Caught a good pair on clearance for not too high of a price.
I feel this part is all preference, but I can only ski with poles. Some people do it without, but shit I feel so offput without them. Thats up to you to learn.

Skiiing is cheap, you don't need the super expensive shit if you're just getting into it. Or if you're only going to go a few times year.

No you don't need a fucking spine protector to go down the bunny hills

Welp, I'm going to a store to look at some snow pants and outer shell on Saturday. Maybe will grab balaclava too. If I don't find anything decent then I'm going straight to one of those brand-name sports stores and pick up something for more than I was planning. Thanks you all for helpful advice and pizza and french fries. If you have any last words of wisdom feel free to share them here.