/Grimes/ :Come and Join Us Edition

Let's talk about the artist known as Grimes.
She's a singer/songwriter/producer/sound engineer/live performer/visual artist/music video director/dancer/model.
More importantly she's arguably the best artist of the decade.

Old Thread: Remember: Be nice to Grimes!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_pop#List_of_artists
youtube.com/watch?v=GtkST5-ZFHw&hl=en-GB&gl=SG
www117.zippyshare.com/v/spdhXqtQ/file.html
www117.zippyshare.com/v/aImn3z41/file.html
www80.zippyshare.com/v/qvISPUoA/file.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

user from the other day again. I listened to her discography and she's just so mediocre.

How do you people like this?

It sounds like squealing into a microphone with a delay pedal on, over some shit beat.

Get some taste

>too pleb to get into patrician goth pop

You like her because she's cute and for no other reason

Finally, it looks like we're getting somewhere, now listen to it deeply, it all becomes clear.

Which albums did you listen to?

Another day another grimes thread for whatever reason
And if I went and looked harder I bet I'd find all the other usual threads
What's it like using the most stagnant and snooze inspiring board on this website
Nothing you're posting hasn't been posted before

Entire discography after i was told to by people in grimes general

Halfaxa is her absolute best album. Swan Song is my favorite song.

>those track titles

lmao fucking pathetic

what's wrong with them, nagger?

>Come and Join Us Edition
how can anyone even say this isn't a cult?

"Entire discography" isn't an album. Which specific albums did you actively listen to?

wtf is wrong with you? asking for a friend

Cults don't disseminate information on publicly accessible discussion forums, by definition desu.

the dreaming

All of her released material, you fucking moron.
Read the archive, I detailed all of this.

Go be stupid somewhere else

It's called "trying to have an in-depth conversation about music on /mu". I expect the idea is foreign to you desu.

Try harder desu.

stop grimesposting

I wanted to get into Grimes, I wanted to understand why she was so popular on this board, but then I listened to Halfaxa and I understood.
It's all just a fucking meme.

>tfw grimes is too unaccessible for you

>"trying to have an in-depth conversation about music on /mu"
you can't call a one-sided reprehension a conversation. these "conversations" follow the exact same pattern every single time
>someone expresses their dislike for grimes
>you ceaselessly hound them telling them why their opinion is wrong

>All of her released material
A significant portion of her discography findable online comes from obscure special edition releases or was never officially released in the first place.

Again, which of her official albums/EPs/unnoficial releases did you ACTIVELY listen to? Because it sounds like you _might_ have actively listened to _maybe_ one before tuning out completely.

Yeah. What genres of music do you normally listen to?

halfaxa is not even one of her mucore albums, it's too 'out there' for many people like yourself

I downloaded her fucking discography form pb and it contained everything she's ever released, you stupid fucking idiot

Again, fuck off and go be stupid elsewhere

I've already discussed why it was bad, I'm simply here to remind you morons

>you can't call a one-sided reprehension a conversation.
You've responded; now it's a two-sided conversation. About music.

>telling them why their opinion is wrong
Where have I said that?

Which one should I listen to?

>trying hard to convince people that her music is bad
no, user. it doesn't work like that. you better find a hobby

>I downloaded her fucking discography form pb
Which portion of it did you end up with (not all torrents are created equal) and what subset of that did you actively listen to before tuning out? I'm just trying to determine what portion of her discography your opinion is ACTUALLY based on (since your opinion objectively doesn't make sense in the case of at least one of her entire albums.)

>About music.
nice try

I listened to everything she has released, you stupid cunt.

I detailed my criticisms in an earlier thread, in great detail. Read the archive if you want to find this, you low IQ monkey.

She isn't a musician, she screams into a microphone akin to Yoko Ono while some dubstep-esque amateur produced beat plays in the background.

>Muh Japanese aesthetic
>Muh squeals
>Muh basic production

Fuck off and get some taste, you plebeian fucks.
You people only like her because you are obsessed with her, and want to fuck her, etc.

Sad!

DO - there is no try.

see
Also pic related. Generally speaking your best bet is starting with whichever most resembles your current music taste.

Why is the Grimes thread just Grimes hating now? What happened to all the Grimes is life and I hope our grimey is sleeping well posters?

Art pop isn't a genre, fellow Grimes friend

>I listened to everything she has released
Reread my last post. Let me know if you need me to point out which one since we are all anonymous, and there's no way to be sure whose post statements have been w house without direct links (including going back to past threads - hint hint.)

it's just one stupid moron doing all these hateposts

>What happened to all the Grimes is life and I hope our grimey is sleeping well posters?
still here:

>join us

People realised she's garbage
and Sup Forums isn't an echochamber

sad that you are such a pleb that don't know any shit about good music

your posts are garbage, suck a pen15

I really like Venus Fly, is that weird?

>Swear words means anger
Just how sensitive are you?

>people realised she's garbage
Maybe it's more that people are getting fed up of hundreds of threads every day that are all exactly the same pushing an artist they eventually break down and give a listen to. At this point, their opinion is already skewed from disliking her fanbase and so if the music isn't quite close enough to what they would enjoy they decide to start hating.
Or maybe they don't listen at all, and just hate to make some kind of attempt to put an end to the relentless stream of fanboys pushing the artist.

tfw Grimes is the only reason I live

Imo it's technically a pretty silly one (all music is a form of art - therefore "art pop music" is really just a way of saying "actually musical popular music") but imo it seemed like a useful term to use in a simple guide like this given the similar nature of other artists also commonly associated with it:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_pop#List_of_artists

dude get your shit together

>madness means anger

STOOOOP SAYING SHIT ABOUT HER PLEASE!!!
PLEEEEASEEEEE!!!

It's not since it's one of the strongest songs on AA.

Not at all. I love it too, and it's definitely not my usual cup of tea desu (which is to say, I tend not to listen to other things remotely like it.)

but actually why does it bother you so much? why is it that grimesfags take personal offense when someone criticizes her?

Do you guys prefer the demo version of Realiti or the album version?

>the particular words you choose to use in a conversation actually make a difference
Lol who'd o' thought?

I think they're both great in their way

>goes on a thread that specifies Being nice to Grimes
>insults Grimes instead of giving valid criticism
Why do you do this instead of just filtering Grimes if you hate her so much? Are you that desperate for attention? Do you also go on tranny threads to tell them they're gay?

Nah, it's just you're an ignorant American who thinks everyone speaks the way you do.

"cunt" is an endearing term in other places, etc

>that specifies Being nice to Grimes
do you actually think you can force people to behave a certain way? what makes you think that telling people they have to be nice to grimes is going to make them be nice to grimes? how can you be so naive/idealistic?

>tranny threads
what the fuck kind of boards are you browsing user?

You didn't answer the question. Why do you take personal offense from people criticising Grimes (a completely different person than you)?

>grimesfags take personal offense when someone criticizes her?
Why would you expect anyone for whom a retarded meme label like MyFavoriteArtist-fag actually applies (i.e. fake, meme fans) to NOT to take such things seriously?

Btw who is your favorite artist?

The Demo. The album version was a self-described "best attempt" at receipting the essence of the original demo (lost in a coffee accident) due to popular demand. Can link you to the specific interview where Grimes says this, if you like.

I'm not saying you can't do it, but why would you? Would you also enjoy going around naked in New York City, something that is frowned upon albeit legal? Additionally, Grimes isn't someone you're interested in, why go on a thread about her just to hate on her?

No need to get so defensive man. It's not your fault, just know that. You're a genuinely good person, it's not your fault, really. youtube.com/watch?v=GtkST5-ZFHw&hl=en-GB&gl=SG

I've only just come to this thread to check out the our Grimey is sleeping well posters. It's just annoying that I come to a Grimes thread expecting to see discussion about Grimes (serious and casual) and instead all I see is insults hurled around about Grimes and her fans. If you're not interested in Grimes, why do you come on a thread about her just to hate on her?

>why do you come on a thread about her just to hate on her?
because i'm sick of seeing 2-3 threads about her in the catalogue every fucking day claiming that she's the best artist of the decade. that's just a ridiculous claim

Use the filter. I guess I won't be seeing you anymore now. Have a good life mate.

>what makes you think that telling people they have to be nice to grimes is going to make them be nice
It's voignamirian code for "People who actively report shitposting/trolling reside in this thread. Therefore avoid doing those things if you wish to avoid mod/janitor attention."

Lurk more desu.

>i've come to a thread on Sup Forums expecting a totalitarian hugbox that only reflects my exact personal beliefs with absolutely no differing opinions allowed
grow up user. people are always going to have different opinions than you and no matter how much you bitch an moan you won't be able to make this some grimes-friendly utopia. i don't think her music is very good. there's nothing you can do to change that, and there's nothing you can do to make me leave this thread. just accept the fact that by hosting these circle-jerk threads on a public forum, you'll never be able to control the posters who come here. if you really want a one-sided echo chamber of pure grimes worship then take this shit to some private server.

saying "i dislike grimes/grimesfags" =/= trolling

>doesn't know how to use the filter
>hurr durr you are juvenile for being annoyed even though I was also annoyed in the first place
My point wasn't even that you should like Grimes. I didn't like Grimes the first time I heard her too. But instead of a discussion about Grimes, you bemoan the Grimes threads. You claim that her fans should "get some taste". Perhaps you could enlighten me on the nature of "taste". Please tell me about your dabbling in philosophy and how you have formed your own aesthetic criteria from studies of the arguments put forth by Hume, Kant, Schopenhauer, among others. Perhaps after understanding your views on aesthetics we could have a more serious discussion about the aesthetic value of Grimes' work. Or, since you're not interested in her at all, not.

>You claim that her fans should "get some taste"
i never said this though?
>Please tell me about your dabbling in philosophy and how you have formed your own aesthetic criteria from studies of the arguments put forth by Hume, Kant, Schopenhauer, among others.
there's no need to feign intelligence to reinforce a non-existent point user. nobody was even talking about aesthetics or philosophy until you brought that up.

you're just trying to make this into a pissing contest when all i've been saying this ENTIRE time is that i have the freedom to express my negative opinion about her. i DON'T have to cite philosophical viewpoints in order to justify my beliefs, and the fact that you think i do just goes to show how far your head is up your own ass.

i don't like grimes' music. quit acting like a condescending prick and just accept the fact that i'm allowed to say that.

i honestly can't believe the lengths you're going to to invalidate my personal opinion.

So i listened to halfaxa, visions, and art angels

Didn't like Halfaxa all that much but loved visions and aa
Do I bother listening to her first?

>Listens to seven years of an artist's music at once
>I am now familiar enough with this music to share my criticism with other people, and beat them over the head with my opinions

You should. It is like 30 min in total and different

drakbloom has like three great visions like songs: crystal ball, vanessa and urban twilight

and there is unreleased track David that sounds similar to realiti (demo)

kek this

And?

2 mixtapes for anyone interested to get into Grimes music: popular and obscure songs, singles, album tracks & unreleased songs.

Melodic Mixtape (1 hour 40 min) - get both archives
www117.zippyshare.com/v/spdhXqtQ/file.html
www117.zippyshare.com/v/aImn3z41/file.html

Experimental Mixtape (1 hour 13 min)
www80.zippyshare.com/v/qvISPUoA/file.html

>MELODIC MIXTAPE
01 Genesis
02 REALiTi (Demo Version)
03 Oblivion
04 Devon
05 Be a Body
06 Rosa
07 Flesh Without Blood
08 Symphonia IX (My Wait Is U)
09 Weregild
10 Crystal Ball
11 Nightmusic
12 Venus Fly
13 Circumambient
14 Kill V. Maim
15 Go
16 Artangels
17 Vanessa
18 Vowels = Space and Time
19 World Princess Part II
20 Bleachers & Grimes - Entropy
21 Butterfly
22 My Sister Says the Saddest Things
23 Skin

>EXPERIMENTAL MIXTAPE
01 Orphia
02 SCREAM
03 Dream Fortress
04 Venus in Fleurs
05 Omega
06 Caladan
07 Favriel
08 Beast Infection
09 Claire Boucher - Behavior
10 (Unknown Title) (Parc & Van Horne, Montreal 2010)
11 Colour of Moonlight (Antiochus)
12 Hallways
13 Grisgris
14 Intor / Flowers
15 Gambang
16 Sagrad пpeкpacный
17 Gloam
18 Rasik
19 Avi
20 Fifteen Minutes To
21 Urban Twilight
22 Improvisational Jam (CKUT.ca Radio 2010)

Then I guess you have nothing to worry about, right? ...RIGHT?

Try these mixtapes The best stuff in one place.

>i don't like grimes' music.
Okay. If that is your sum total opinion of Grimes' music... have a nice life, I guess.

You memed yourself. Check dem mixtapes instead THEN check her discography.

Definitely check out Darkbloom. Imo it's the key transition point between her "early/amateur" sound of records like Halfaxa/Geidi Primes and her "new/professional" sound of Visons/Art Angels/whatever's next. But yeah - like said, Geidi Primes is actually pretty short and it does go to a number of sonic places none of her other records go.

>The best stuff
That's a pretty subjective statement desu.

>wah waaah waaaaaaah, i dislike her music so you must do the same
You, in a nutshell.

The best stuff IMO. Indeed, it's subjective. But there are many tracks that the Grimes fans love.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I think it's cool you managed to make it through the discography even if you didn't like it.

Only if you order the "Grimes Worship Starter Kit" from Amazon. Otherwise we're just basic plebian grimes fans. LOL.

Don't feel like you need to explain yourself further. Some are going to get very butthurt that you don't like/worship her music.

I'm a fan of hers but I respect that you don't like or didn't get what you may have been after from her music. It's okay user.

Can you not. If he doesn't like it, he doesn't like it. Best way to respond is to ask what he did like/didn't like. Not badger him because he's not vibing on it the way you are.

Christ, this is what makes me sick about these threads. I'm a fan of hers but i'm not going to shove this shit down anyones throat.

finish your album

That's my fav album. Wouldn't say it's mem, not sure if you're baiting but yeah.

Neither. Not one of my fav songs. Decent though.

Funny you mention the word Cunt. It's Grimes' favorite swear word lol.

I agree with you 100%, even as a fan of hers. It is kind of annoying actually. But again, i've discussed this in previous threads as to try to be more moderate. That sort of nonsense is only serving to push people away.

I'd rather people came into these threads and gave her a chance and had a listen instead of being hyped to the fucking moon and going "this sucks!" every thread.

You should give it a try. I also recommend darkblooms. The album she shared with D'Eon which was pretty rad.

The number of times any of us has met grimes? LOL

Yeah. I mean, I get the idea of making playlists like this, but to have a total of 45 tracks spread over two playlists when the artist in question only currently has 4.5 albums totaling to 57 tracks of released material to their name isn't really narrowing things down enough to be useful to anyone other than yourself. An existing fan is already gonna have their preferences, and a new potential fan is better of just listening to an actual album instead since they are all shorter than either of those playlists.

If you were to make an album-length best of or some album-length thematic playlists/mixtapes that would make sense.

It's some really mind dumbing shit huh

>Best way to respond is to ask what he did like/didn't like.
Fwiw that's what this conversation was all about. As you can see, it ended up going nowhere because he/she was apparently just here to troll.