Admit it. You wouldn't have given this album a second look if the press didn't tell you to

Admit it. You wouldn't have given this album a second look if the press didn't tell you to.

most people on Sup Forums were convinced by other Sup Forumstants
who gives a fuck what the press thought of it, they're irrelevant

I never bothered to look at this hard enough to know it wasn't a King Crimson album cover until now
Isn't she the artist whose only redeeming quality is her butt

Nobody browses recorded stores anymore and we all find our music through playlists/rym/similar artists pages so all our music is handed to us by someone else.

I didn't even know the "press" cared about it before I listened to it.

I actually remember when I first heard it. Somebody had recommended it to me in a topsters thread or something and I decided to listen to it on whim while doing calculus homework. 30 seconds into Emily I realized it deserved my full attention and stopped what I was doing and listened to the whole album two times in a row.

It's a legitimately incredible album, just because you didn't care for it for whatever reason doesn't mean other peoples enjoyment is illegitimate.

shes so fucking hot. post her butt

Right. I'm sure that it's just a coincidence that the press was stroking her cock and a large subset of people just HAPPENED to rate it highly on discogs and RYM and RYMcogs or wherever else you guys go.

Admit it. You're trained seals, basically.

>It's a legitimately incredible album
I agree, though I'm probably using "incredible" in a different way than you are.

i think people rate it highly because they like it my dude, why is that so hard to wrap your head around?

>because they were told to like it
That's much more accurate, honestly

Do you honestly think Ys is impenetrable? How much of a turbo-pleb can you be? It's not a 2deep4u kind of album. It's just a super well written folk record. Not that hard to see the appeal desu.

Honestly, my dad put me on to this album. i hadn't heard of it before he played the cd for me

easily digestible for people with low emotional intelligence

i only listen to it for van dyke parks

>Do you honestly think Ys is impenetrable?
No. Where did you get that idea?

Seems like you're reaching for reasons to undermine my opinion.

But don't reach too hard, now, you might dislocate your shoulder.

please tell us what you listen to, i'm sure its never been acclaimed by anyone and you're the only one who's ever heard of it so there's no possible way your interest in the album could have been influenced by someone else's enjoyment of it.
get over yourself.

Probably because you were implying that people need to be told to like it. Why would people that like folk not like a well written folk album?

>please tell us what you listen to
I will but only if you locate the point of that run on sentence you posted immediately after this.

That could imply any kind of bad; boring, pretentious, underwritten, overwritten, annoying, safe etc.

You just pulled "2deep4u" right out of your ass, man.

it's a meandering, dull and musically masturbatory snooze fest. she abandoned any lyric/songwriting talent she had to wail about non-sequitir emotional garbage for far too long album after album

>listened to MEM because of the cover
>weird at first, but loved it afterwards
>went on to listen to her other stuff

nice opinions bro

>this guy is trying to trash joanna
>he can't read
abandon thread mates, we've got an aspie here

>Any moment is wasted in Ys

thanks!

those excessive, meandering arrangements and meaning emotional twaddle lyrics for starters

meaningless

My workmate used to play it a lot when it first came out. I think he just saw it in a record store, listened to it and decided to buy it. No press involved.

I find it pretty meh desu. Not enough memorable tunes in her singing - she's all over the place. phrasing is too disjointed.

i'm not even looking at it now, your image is a shimmering void

how did you do that

>Not that hard to see the appeal
It's hard to see the appeal *because* it's a folk album. The audience for this stuff is small, no matter how good it is. Stuff with a wide and obvious appeal is the antithesis of this sort of (niche) album.

> wouldn't have given this album a second look
What if i told you that even the albums I like rarely get a second listen? Once you have a big enough core of favorite albums (1000+), which themselves get barely one listen per year, you don't have time to listen to other stuff over and over.

And it's even worse with movies. I haven't seen some of my favorite movies in the last four or five years.

i still thought it's shit tho, even after second listen

I haven't given it a first listen

You're missing nothing

>The audience for folk is small
Bullshit. Sure, it's not pop wide, but we're talking about folk-- not fucking Onkyo or lowercase.

Right, but it has a small base for actual genres

Except I loved it the first time I listened to it.

I wouldn't brag about that if I were in your position.

I'm not bragging I'm just trying to make a point that OP is a retarded faggot if he thinks people only like the album because critics praised it.

and also it wasn't even super critically praised anyways, like P4K and Scaruffi praised it but other sites like Rolling Stone and Christgau shat on it. so saying people only like it because of critics is really fucking stupid.

I don't get why there are all these people who can't comprehend why people would like her voice. like it's one thing to *personally*, subjectively not enjoy her singing, but the people who think "hurr it's objectively bad everyone is pretending to like it" are fucking dumbasses who have barely listened to any music in their life.

No. I checked it out because I liked Bjork and Kate Bush and someone told me I should listen to Joanna because of that. She sounds nothing like those artists of course but I fell in love with her

>everyone who has a different taste than me is a drone

In this particular case? Absolutely.

This is a modern day emperor's new clothes, for real

it's almost as if when more people hear about something, more people check it out

I gave it a look because Sup Forums wouldn't shut up about it and it only reaffirmed that Sup Forums has godawful shit taste in music. A grating voice wailing meandering songs with no sense of rhythm or direction to them.

>Sup Forums has godawful shit taste in music
I'd agree, but Sup Forums doesn't really have its own taste.

It's an amalgam of various websites and magazines.

absolutely boring
>wish for almost a decade all waifu retards would just die

>no sense of rhythm or direction

this is objectively false. Joanna's singing is extremely impressive, the way she stretches and manipulates her vocal range is incredible.

and her songwriting, playing and singing (fite me)