Radiohead is the most overrated "band" of all time...

Radiohead is the most overrated "band" of all time. They make pop music disguised as art and you faggots eat it all up like the retards you are. LISTEN, this shit is not NOT art. Everything they did with albums OK Computer and onward had been done MANY times before, but they just made them digestible for kissless virgin teens who think to delude themselves into thinking that their taste in music is a sign of intellectual superiority.

Thom Yorke is a jerk. He's puts on a facade of whatever he thinks will get him an in with the young'uns. The blonde and borderline autistic man he was in the Pablo Honey era, the quiet and mysterious yet """cute""" guy he pretended to be in the Alright Computer era, and then the enigmatic and politically driven individual he pretends to be now. But fools like you don't look past this obvious marketing ruse and think of him as the greatest genius of this generation.

I'd like to piss down the throats of everyone who thinks Radohed is a good band and make good music. Get some taste you fucking retards.

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/music/2016/apr/29/radiohead-corporate-structure-firms
m.youtube.com/watch?v=TdPaYlcY23g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

reminder they're corporate bullshit
theguardian.com/music/2016/apr/29/radiohead-corporate-structure-firms

I mean, yeah. They're an alright band who were in the right place at the right time with the right ideas. Cultural zeitgeist is one hell of a drug.

Everybody knows Radiohead is utter dogshit

I don't care about all this non musical bullshit. I press play and I feel good, fuck off

>I don't care about all this non musical bullshit.
me neither which is why Radiohead is boring pop rock

Friendly reminder that U2 did most of Radiohead's "innovating" long before them with Achtung Baby and Zooropa

U2 is garbage just like Radioshit

Boring pop rock does not use interesting innovative harmony. The chord progressions in a relatively simple song for Radiohead like Just are light years beyond your average pop rock song. Let Rock Beato, a true musician with a true musicians ear for cliches and boring harmony and more knowledge of music theory than you could ever dream of attaining explain how their chords and melodies surprise him m.youtube.com/watch?v=TdPaYlcY23g

>Boring pop rock does not use interesting innovative harmony.
what the fuck did Radiohead do that was innovative

most of their chords are very basic, just MAYBE an added 6th or 7th.

why is "band" in quotes?

>implying pop music is inherently bad
I guarantee your favourite band/artists are pop
>implying innovative harmony means using extensions on chords
>trying to sound like you know what you're talking about

because they suck so much they're not even a band

Yeah and I bet you think Swans is amazing

You didn't explain how it was innovative.

>most of their chords are very basic, just MAYBE an added 6th or 7th.

The color of the paint matters less than what's painted with it. It's not how stacked their chords are (which you're wrong about, they use plenty of extensions and altered chords) it's how they combine them into interesting chord progressions. Most songs you can find at least a few tunes that use the exact same chord progression. Find a song that uses the same chord progression as Just, The Tourist, In Limbo, Knives Out, Paranoid Android, Etc...not to mention the string and brass arrangements, how about the chord the strings hold against the whole of How to Disapear completely? Who else in pop music is coming close to any of this?

>Who else in pop music is coming close to any of this?
what if you don't like pop music

I'm just keeping it in the box the op put it in. The reason most people don't like pop is it's tendency towards consonance and diatonic harmony with boring instrumentation and arrangements. Their music doesn't fit those conventions and therefore shouldn't be put in such a small box,and shouldn't turn off someone that doesn't like "pop" music

Tracks on the bends and ok computer are all about applying more complex harmony to the pop song format. "Just" makes use of the octotonic scale, a scale found in a lot of 19th century opera and progressive rock. the way the melodies interact with the harmonic progression in tracks like Iron Lung and No Surprises sounds deceptively simple, but imply sophisticated inversions and extensions not often consciously made use of in popular music.
Obviously this is Sup Forums and I'll get lynched for suggesting Kid A is innovative by Autechre fans, but one of the biggest bands of that time turning around and releasing an album based on atmospherics and drawing on genres like krautrock and IDM is at least worth noticing.
Who do you think is right? Hundreds if not thousands of critics, each with a broad knowledge of popular music and the ability to synoptically apply that knowledge, or you? Who do you think is better equiped with experience to say whether what they're hearing is something which has been done "many times before"? also if you can't appreciate OKC as a decent pop album you're a pleb :^)
ree 6/10 made me write a lot

Radiohead is dumbed down experimental music.
It uses good chord progressions and has good ideas from experimental genres, but it is NOT innovative, it is NOT important, and it IS pop.

what are your favourite artists/composers op

>Tracks on the bends and ok computer are all about applying more complex harmony to the pop song format. "Just" makes use of the octotonic scale, a scale found in a lot of 19th century opera and progressive rock. the way the melodies interact with the harmonic progression in tracks like Iron Lung and No Surprises sounds deceptively simple, but imply sophisticated inversions and extensions not often consciously made use of in popular music.
None of that is innovative. And yes, I already know what an Octatonic scale is (primarily used by Stravinsky, not in opera).
>Obviously this is Sup Forums and I'll get lynched for suggesting Kid A is innovative by Autechre fans, but one of the biggest bands of that time turning around and releasing an album based on atmospherics and drawing on genres like krautrock and IDM is at least worth noticing.
That's not innovative. Can, Kraftwerk, Stereolab already did that before Radiohead.
>Who do you think is right?
People who know music history, not ignorant plebs.

Radiohead is the most overrated "band" of all time. They make pop music disguised as art and you faggots eat it all up like the retards you are. LISTEN, this shit is not NOT art. Everything they did with albums OK Computer and onward had been done MANY times before, but they just made them digestible for kissless virgin teens who think to delude themselves into thinking that their taste in music is a sign of intellectual superiority.

Thom Yorke is a jerk. He's puts on a facade of whatever he thinks will get him an in with the young'uns. The blonde and borderline autistic man he was in the Pablo Honey era, the quiet and mysterious yet """cute""" guy he pretended to be in the Alright Computer era, and then the enigmatic and politically driven individual he pretends to be now. But fools like you don't look past this obvious marketing ruse and think of him as the greatest genius of this generation.

I'd like to piss down the throats of everyone who thinks Radohed is a good band and make good music. Get some taste you fucking retards.

here's my top100 though I should update it to have more Common Practice

Morning Bell. First two chords, Am-C#m. No extensions, just basic minor triads, but this forms a i-#iii. Not normal, not diatonic, therefore INTERESTING. The time signature is 5/4. Not a conventional time signature, therefore INTERESTING. This doesn't in and of itself make a good song or mean someone should like it, but 5 seconds it's already much more interesting than anything you could consider conventional

The octatonic scale was first used by rimsky-korsakov in his operas you snobby arse
>Can, Kraftwerk
they WERE krautrock, they weren't pop music drawing inspiration from it. Stereolab are a better example, but even then they were more leaning towards more challenging listening.
The main problem I've got with you is your insistence that something being popular music making it bad. something which sticks in your head and is enjoyable is far more rewarding than whatever avant jizz you're probably into.

>something which sticks in your head and is enjoyable is far more rewarding than whatever avant jizz you're probably into.
That's a value judgment by you. Music History, however, has shown time and time again that new ideas are more important than the execution/popification of old ideas.

Reich's Piano Phase has a good tune. So does Philip Glass' Strung Out.

>likes phillip glass
>thinks he's hot shit
You can't say shit about bland harmony with mozart in your top ten either, so many of his works are just formulaic "classical" harmony.
Props for Tony Conrad and eccojams, and especially Liturgy, The Ark Work is incredibly underrated

>this shit is not NOT art

I've only heard one RH song but apparently you're calling it art so I should probably dive into their discog

>so many of his works are just formulaic "classical" harmony.
That's blatantly wrong, are you b8ing me? Have you analyzed his piano sonatas?

I was kinda exaggerating to see how you'd react admittedly, his piano sonatas are his more interesting works yeah, but so much of it falls back on the cliched circle of fifths and reliance on the leading note. Although it's very easy to say all of this in retrospect when so much else has been developed on, including Beethoven who I think is dimensions better than mozart.
I reckon if you just sat and listened to them without any concept of how "innovative" or "good" radiohead are you'd enjoy them. If you've got albums like Heroes and Black Foliage on there, there's literally no reason why you wouldn't like them other than contrarianism
Also I'll say it again, Glass is shite

In an interview Feldman remarked how really Mozart understood the rules of his time so well that he could dutifully play around them, toy with them to his own avantgarde needs. Of course he couldn't write Tristan in 1785: society wasn't ready for that kind of music. It took until what, 1805 for Beethoven to write Eroica? And even then it took longer for people to actually like it.

I enjoy Radiohead the same way I enjoy other pop music. It's designed to be enjoyed. That doesn't mean I think it's good.

Glass is not shite and if you understood his music you would know why. He's incredibly influential, creative, and talented.

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

Stop fucking posting this.

THE

See you tomorrow OP.