I want to hear from people who were actually of legal smoking age in the 90s preferably

I want to hear from people who were actually of legal smoking age in the 90s preferably.

How did Nirvana sweep the charts and knock Michael Jackson off the top out of nowhere?

It's crazy to me that they didn't even know about it until after it happened because they were touring Europe. Their music isn't even that good, I'm guessing it was a cultural phenomena with a lot of different variables involved.

Can anyone explain it to me?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Ee6xkwVucIE
youtu.be/QD0D7IuriWQ
youtu.be/-5ijtz6Du_s
youtu.be/PMBKPr1YG9I
youtu.be/qaoCTiXidmk
youtube.com/watch?v=EpFPuS1o9d0
popmatters.com/review/nirvana-unseen/
youtube.com/watch?v=EpFPuS1o9d0&ab_channel=brinebombs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

fuck nirvana, fuck your cultural phenomena and fuck you

same way disco went out at the end of the 70s. gen x said "fuck this gay shit".

watch out everyone we have a badass in the room

faggot

wow kurt cobain's dick looks like a plunger

Nirvana did nothing innovative, they just watered down the Pixies for plebs like you. Also Cobain was cute and well-suited for MTV while none of the Pixies had any sex appeal.

>Their music isn't even that good
Nice b8. Sage

die in a car crach you fucking cocksucker.
fucking break your fucking jaw bitch

The early 90s was a weird time, desu. It was really a free-for-all before nirvana struck sonic gold with smells like teen spirit. I remember Shit like cantaloop by us3 being played a lot, that Shitty crash test dummies song, primitive radio gods.....strange stuff. Then nirvana hit it big and radio formats and MTV changed overnight. Seattle bands took over for a few years

look like someone's mommy forgot to out the curfew shutdown on the internet tonight

pretty good, not cringe at all

>none of the Pixies had any sex appeal.
guy...

looks like a bait post, plus we had this discussion a million times

>that Shitty crash test dummies song,
God Shuffled His Feet is an excellent album, user.

Nah, I disagree. Nirvana brought soul, depression, and almost dark nihilistic emotion to their music that wasn't even around at that time. Bleach, and Incesticide and Utero shows. Also, fag and dad rock was rampant, and everyone was just about ready to drop that shit.

t. Older than 19

Bleach wishes it was TAD's self titled album.

>their music wasn't even that good
God damn your taste are so fucking shit that i hate you so much. Jump off singing a grime song already

youtu.be/Ee6xkwVucIE
youtu.be/QD0D7IuriWQ
youtu.be/-5ijtz6Du_s
youtu.be/PMBKPr1YG9I
youtu.be/qaoCTiXidmk
Start getting some taste, plebs. Maybe their still is hope for you all.

Because they were standouts in a time when Pearl Jam was being shoved down our throats. Finally, there was music on MTV that people actually wanted to listen to.

Same thing as what happened with Bob Dylan. Right style of music at the right time. They both kinda suck but somehow get labeled amazing

I'll admit that I own it - borrowed it from a girl and never returned it. Not sure if I've listened to it since it came out. I remember liking the title track and afternoons and coffee spoons

I have it on regular rotation in my car. Coffee Spoons is definitely one of the better tracks.

>How did Nirvana sweep the charts and knock Michael Jackson off the top out of nowhere?
That's how the charts work. It wasn't really out of nowhere as they had a top 10 hit single released as promotion for it.
Why do people pretend this is some big feat?
Artists are ranked on a chart by how many albums they sold in that particular week.
Dangerous sold the most albums in the weeks of December 14, 1991 – January 10, 1992, then the following week Nevermind sold the most
It happens every week.

Nirvana is the plebbiest band of all time m8.
You pat yourself on the back for having the same taste as a 14 year old that hates their parents, good job.

>They both kinda suck

Pleb doesn't mean anything. Comparing taste to an imaginary 14 year old means nothing. Give real criticism.

ok they're standard pop rock trash made for radio that hardly ever ventured outside of basic powerchords and verse-chorus-verse structure like every other pop-punk band, and when they did it was just bland feedback noise improv.
They're the definition of style over substance, which is why they're so big, particularly among teenagers.

Damn. I didn't know someone can be so wrong.

It's alright, we all go through a Nirvana phase when we're kids. I accept your apology.

you're both disgusting, now fuck off

>"standard" as a pejorative
stopped there, read a book and tell your mom you love her

>le nirvana phase XDD
You wish, cuck. Just like the Beatles, they are forever immortalized as the best of their era. Go listen to grimes, summerfag.

they combined underground 80's underground sounds like black flag and minutemen with the big mainstream riffs of stuff like def leppard or bon jovi. they had enough pop sensibilities to write tunes, unlike a lot of smaller "grunge" acts but their sound was this dirty mutt mix of rock that came before it.

>praying gen z is tired of Le mumble rap & female shit pop.

Actually 1989-91 was a very interesting, wide-open period with glam metal and alternative competing for the charts. If anything, the rock scene got a lot worse after 1991 since record labels jumped completely on the grunge bandwagon and ended up creating a stale musical monoculture.

Nevermind [DGC, 1991]

For years, the Seattle scene churned out hair-flailing sludge that occasionally took song form on singles no normal person ever heard, until now that America finally has some proper post-punk in the person of Kurt Cobain. This is what hard rock was generally understood to be before metal moved in--riff, verse, chorus, bad solo, riff--the kind of sloppy, tuneful music that makes you get up and dance. They make it seem so easy too, which is why it's a pity the lesson will all be forgotten again in a few years. A-

Besides that, the poofy neon Spandex glam metal look had been dead for some time by 1990, that shit was more like 1984-86.

The alternative revolution had been building for a few years, all it took were some band to come up with hit singles.

Yeh because even if you look at bands like Motley Crue and Poison by 1989-90, they were dressing in more muted outfits with leather rather than the ultra-colorful look they had three years earlier, and their music by that point was trending more towards blues rock.

Time for sleep, little faggot.

Brett Michaels is a huge blues enthusiast, however his own attempts at writing that kind of song failed because he just doesn't know how to do anything but party rock.

this just looks like fat ween

>Then nirvana hit it big and radio formats and MTV changed overnight

One big consequence of the alternative revolution was that record labels threw all of their dadrock/hairspray bands overboard. Essentially everyone who had been around prior to the 80s was dropped and any new music they put out didn't get played on the radio anymore while up to the end of the 80s, you could still hear the latest Paul McCartney or Beach Boys single getting rotation. Most of the lesser dadrock bands ended up on budget labels like CMC Records.

Aerosmith and Van Halen weren't dropped in the 90s, shit, I remember the hype around VH III which was as late as 1998.

Journey were still on Columbia past the turn of the millenium. The last charting hit they had came off of Trial By Fire in 1996.

AC/DC were never dropped either, even their post-2000 releases were still put out by Atlantic. I remember Black Ice had pretty extensive marketing.

That's why I said lesser dadrock bands. The big guys like AC/DC still continued to play stadiums past their commercial heyday because of major label support. I mean bands like Styx, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, Heart. They were reduced to CMC Records and the county fair circuit once Columbia/Sony/Atlantic whatever pulled the plug.

>if the artist isn't attractive how am I supposed to take them seriously.
You listen with your ears not your eyes, user. TAD was the OG grunge band and Kurt practically stole riffs from them for Bleach.

Not all 60s-70s bands got ditched by the industry in the 90s but radio stations and MTV didn't really play their new stuff anymore. Honestly, I think the industry jumped on the grunge and hip-hop bandwagons because everyone was just tired and burned out on the wigs-and-leather school of rock, which had been around almost 20 years at that point.

bleach had 300 dollars worth of production

>tfw Kurt Cobain tried to cover up the fact that Van Halen were the first band he ever saw live

1. Nirvana didn't knock Michael Jackson off of the charts. By 1991, Michael Jackson was already a has-been weirdo with a fucked-up face.

2. The only bands that Nirvana actually knocked off the charts were harder-edged Guns and Roses clones like Warrior Soul. For example, Nirvana and the rise of grunge did not have any appreciable impact on the careers of non-rock music. For example, Salt N Pepa's Blacks' Magic (1990) was a hit, and so was their next album, Very Necessary (1993).

Watch this:
youtube.com/watch?v=EpFPuS1o9d0

I don't see how that's relevant. No bully here, what are you suggesting?

Heart stayed with Capitol until 1994 and they were never signed to CMC.

What is a CMC Records?

TAD probably had more funding

you literally ignored the subject of the thread

underrated post

first:
NO INTERNET.
where do you hear about music?
where are you geographically?
whats available?
is there a college scene?
indie was like a mystery to the suburbs.
lotsa great shit there, but then pow nirvana...
somehow everyone heard it
fucking manna from heaven when we didnt even know heaven existed

the video, basically

Michael Jackson was over by that time. He was massive an entire decade earlier. Nobody knocked him off.

radio more likely
i remember playing a little party
never rehearsed it
but everyone knew the parts and we jammed it

That's not true. Pearl Jam hit about a year later. Not to mention most people loved both.

>where do you hear about music?
college radio
magazines/fanzines
tape trading
Many more independent record stores than now. You just go in and pick records based on genre/cover.
Go to local shows instead of shitposting on Sup Forums.
You buy subscriptions to record labels.
there were a lot of ways.

>Michael Jackson was over by that time. He was massive an entire decade earlier. Nobody knocked him off.

Dangerous sold 32 million copies. If anything it was the child molestation accusations two years later that fucked him over.

No that video was huge. MTV literally killed the radio star.

Well then it was sold to a completely different age group then probably people over 30

HIStory was equally huge though.
What fucked him over was releasing a turd like Invincible in 2001

Since when was Dangerous an adult contemporary/MOR album?

And you base this on what?

Janet Jackson was way more popular with the age group that Nirvana catered to with Nevermind

He didn't tour Invincible anyway, the last time he performed live was in 1997.

>Dangerous sold 32 million copies

Yeh but about 60% of this was in Europe, actually it was less successful in the US than Thriller/Bad. I liken it to KISS who started to blow up in Europe and Latin America in the early 80s after their American audience had disappeared.

I saw Nirvana for In Utero. Anyone remotely around my age gave way more of a fuck about Janet than Michael. He was fucking massive a decade earlier when I was a kid. Anyone looking for something new had just simply been there and done that.

rhetorical question.
i was there.
none of that was going on.
not everyone liived in earshot of college radio

sure, but i dont remember hearing it from the video. never had cable.

no one wanted to listen to that, good or not.
everyone wanted a way out.

"grunge" happened becaouse it "wasnt metal" "wasnt hair rock' wasnt anything else that we knew.... and we didnt know very much.

Bingo

>"grunge" happened becaouse it "wasnt metal" "wasnt hair rock' wasnt anything else that we knew.... and we didnt know very much

You do know that all of the grunge bands were heavily influenced by 70s AOR. Alice In Chains even toured with Ozzy Osborne.

I bet Kurt had the smallest dick out of the three

I saw Alice In Chains for Facelift and Nevermind sounded pretty new to me.

13 year old kids don't know that. Adult critics like Christgau obviously knew the genesis of grunge, but the target audience were basically a mental blank in that regard.

Anecdotes, just as I thought.

Well thats exactly what the thread asks for.

>none of that was going on
It definitely was
>no one wanted to listen to that, good or not.
They obviously did since it sold millions of copies
>everyone wanted a way out
you don't speak for everyone.

Nirvana had a pretty unique sound, while Pearl Jam, AIC, and Soundgarden have a lot more of that 70s AOR feel to them, in fact in interviews they were always citing Black Sabbath, Neil Young, Led Zeppelin, The Who, etc as influences

And of course Pearl Jam literally toured with Neil Young and played covers of his songs.

>They obviously did since it sold millions of copies
In Europe like the other user said.

>It definitely was
Very strongly agree although for me being 15 when Nevermind came out, they were a way into that in a lot of ways. Oh what's this album Bleach? Oh what's this Sub Pop thing? That didn't really happen with very many if any bands especially in that way. Offhand I can't think of a single comparable example before then.

Only Courtney will ever know for sure, I guess.

KISS...man, there was a washed-up band that no kids in the early 90s gave a fuck about.

Why are there so many TADfags on Sup Forums
[spoiler]It makes me feel less alone.[/spoiler]

Have you seen Tad doyle lately? He looks like grunge Santa claus

It feels good, mang, did you hear Doyle's new project Brothers of the Sonic Cloth? I might like it more than 8-way Santa.

That's awesome.

Really? I'll check it out then. I'll jam to it when I work tomarrow night.

Revenge dropped off the charts in a couple of weeks.

I have to wonder how all these bands kept going since as the user in here suggested, it's doubtful that any 14 year old kid in 1990 was itching to buy an REO Speedwagon album.

They weren't. That's why the record labels hurriedly ditched them in favor of alternative rock. You would have had to ask your older cousin who was all like "Aw yeah man, Roll With The Changes used to be my jam back in '79".

>It definitely was
if you were lucky enough to live in a college town or somewhere urban or had a cool older brother...otherwise you were shit out of luck trying to pick one review from two hundred microfont reviews in the back of Option or someshit to spend your tiny cassette budget on

>you don't speak for everyone.
lol i speak for everyone that matters

Wheels are Turnin' was the last album of theirs to sell anything and that came out in 1984. Their 1990 release "The Earth, a Small Man, His Dog and a Chicken" sold about 20 copies after which Sony gave them the boot.

popmatters.com/review/nirvana-unseen/

youtube.com/watch?v=EpFPuS1o9d0&ab_channel=brinebombs