Why do some singers put their lips directly on the microphone when they sing...

Why do some singers put their lips directly on the microphone when they sing? And does it have a positive/negative effect on their vocals?

The style of singing used in most popular music is one that doesn't project the voice in any way. The most popular vocal microphones such as the sm58 require a loud signal so far away sounds are not picked up easily. These two facts combined mean popular music singers often have to be very close to the microphone in order for it to be suitably amplified.

You'll notice that classically trained singers that project their voice don't need to be so close (or use a microphone at all, in some situations) and a singer being recorded "in the field" with a more sensitive microphone also can be captured from a distance.

sweet mullet

Forgot to answer the other half of your question:

Positives are obvious - the singers voice is amplified sufficiently.

Negatives are that microphones are subject to "bass proximity effect" which exaggerates lower frequencies, making the vocals sound muddier and less clear, like having a cheap subwoofer turned up too much.

Ikr. 2009 Wavves = best Wavves

Thanks for the answer. I honestly didn't expect much of an answer other than "cuz they're stupid lol"

No problem.

Do you know how to avoid those cons, without changing from a popular style, could the microphone be eq'd to alter the bass, to stop the muddiness?

FPBP in an unironic way for a change.

A lot of vocal mics have a little switch for a low-cut filter which helps the bass problem a little, which can be further aided at the mixing desk. For some reason though most singers don't do this and I can't explain why - you'd have to ask them.

As for the distance issue, there's no real help for it. Using a different kind of microphone will mean background sound gets picked up too much, and feedback becomes VERY likely in a live performance situation.

>things are good/bad decontextualized and without firm criteria and a frame of reference stablished

lol

That fag is training his ducksucking skills.

Someone's got a lot of dick on his mind

is it the guy

Yeah I bet he's thinking about dick at this very moment the fag. Glad I could find a like-minded individual on this shitfest board.

Nah, the issue is that dynamic mics don't project well. They only really work when right up to something. A good condenser mic on the other hand you can place a foot away and it will pick up the voice, but that's more for use with acoustic instruments.

I agree with that, and thought I had explained that aspect. Perhaps I wasn't clear.

Well you did mention whether or not the singer projects their voice, which plays a big role in it. Dynamic mics are just not as good at picking up an unprojected voice.

Whilst playing a guitar and being very mobile and active on stage, i rather touch the microphone with my lips and know exactly where it is, than bash my mouth into it all the time while grooving

because they have a fantasy to suck the d

part of the gay agenda