What does Sup Forums think of REO Speedwagon?

What does Sup Forums think of REO Speedwagon?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q_WufEqi_U0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I preferred Zeppeli desu

I just learned about about them some days ago while subtitling this shitfest called the goldbergs and it is just as shit for the birds as the show

great dadrock

Earnestly 10/10 and I'm glad they existed. A subject of a phenomena I see too much with those older bands; they were loved and pushed by people that didn't get it, but as such were still around. They're great.

The McDonalds of dadrock.

>late 70s guy
"Hey Christine, I got tickets to a concert. Wanna come with?"
>late 70s chick
"Cool, Mike. What band is i...(sees REO Speedwagon tickets) I'm leaving you."

70s and 80s REO Speedwagon are two completely different things. The 70s version was a niche AOR band similar to Aerosmith but more country-rocky and not as metal. The 80s version was the ballad/pop rock hit factory.

Honestly never heard of them

Hi Infidelity absolutely blew up. Biggest selling rock album of 1980-81 next to Back In Black, sold a bazillion copies, and made them so much money they never needed to seriously try again as subsequent albums proved.

Because you're not American.

Keep On Loving You set the stage for 80s power ballads, although they'd been around before that time, the power ballad in its classic form was created by that song.

The followup to HI was Good Trouble, but the album was basically a rush job designed to keep up the momentum they had going and it pretty much sucked aside from Keep The Fire Burnin'.

Then they came out with Wheels Are Turnin' in 1984, but most people were over them by that point and the album was even poppier. They definitely lost a step with Life As We Know It three years later, and their career as a viable commercial act was basically ended by A Man, A Dog, whatever the fuck that album is called.

Their decision to go full-out commercial happened after Nine Lives was not a major success, which is too bad because it has some seriously blistering rockers on it since at that time they were trying to answer punk rock.

REO Speedealer is better
youtube.com/watch?v=q_WufEqi_U0

Sophomore slump. This happens to a lot of veteran bands who've been touring for years and finally manage a breakout hit. For example, RHCP massively blew up with BSSM and success overwhelmed them, or well, overwhelmed John Frusciante anyway.

My cousin saw a promo video for WAT on MTV in 84 and wanted to buy the album when it came out. Busted his ass mowing lawns, but he finally bought the thing and loved it. He thinks REO, Journey, and Styx are unfairly shat on by people who don't "get" them.

Hmmmm
Reo speedwagon akin to Butthole Surfers in that regard

AC/DC after Back In Black. The albums following that were just meh.

Journey and Styx are unlistenable thanks to their vocalists.

Garbage, total garbage.

>They definitely lost a step with Life As We Know It three years later

Like I said, my cousin became a fan with WAT, so when he bought LAWKI, he ended up really disappointed. The singles weren't chosen that well and the songwriting is spotty, a combination of a band struggling to keep up with late 80s tastes and suffering increasing friction between members. Plus, like Foreigner's releases from this period, the production is horrifyingly dated.

That one cuck song

Rubbish, Rock Or Bust, released last year, is pretty good.

I think they're god tier. Hi-Infidelity, Wheels Are Turnin', and Tuna Fish are their best albums imo.

Back to Sup Forums!!!

kings of wuss rock