What is the Neon Genesis Evangelion of film?

What is the Neon Genesis Evangelion of film?

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/154109705
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

end of evangelion

knowing

Pacific Rim

Divergent series

What is the Neon Genesis Evangelion of Neon Genesis Evangelion?

Crab legs

BvS

Godzilla Resurgence

Only god forgives.

Inception.

the live action cutie honey, it was also created by anno

Mr Robot

TDKR

Cars 2

>of film
There isn't one. NGE's general approach to characters and presentation of themes relied on the format of a serialized show that extended the narrative far past that of a movie, in terms of total length.

Best example for a movie with similar themes, if not similar approach or execution, would be Wild Strawberries or Ikiru.

>720x480
>2016
Come on now dude, you have better options.

Can anyone explain why this cartoon is so highly regarded? Genuinely curious

Congratulations.

There was a ton of anime with giant robots in them and EVA made the tropes a little different than them.

had a unique style and was mostly well made
also the director used symbolism willy nilly so it appears deep and interesting

Cute girls.

The odds of getting a legitimate answer to your question here are very small. I would honestly ignore every single reply to your post.

Your better off just looking at the Reception section on the wikipedia page, and even then, that's just a statement of facts that the show is "highly regarded". What people found value in or enjoyed about the show varies widely.

Actual direction and vision compared to other anime. Anime is mostly about characters explicitly yelling about how they feel (which NGE has), but this show had a lot more quiet moments and interesting shots.

The last 2 episodes were psychedelic from limitations (no budget), creating an infamous history for the show.

It's about being lonely and how hard it is to tell people how you really feel. Any nerd can empathize.

Hype and marketing (mostly the latter). It's a pretty average anime all things considered.

I'd recommend watching it and finding out for yourself, it's an experience absolutely worth going in blind for.

Hardly, Evangelion is excellent but it's nowhere near as genre-defying as fans like to say it is. Not entirely related to your post but it infuriates me when people attempt to say Eva is a "deconstruction" or "subversion" of mecha anime tropes without having any experience with the genre.

>EVA made the tropes a little different than them.
Ideon did Eva's plot better than Eva ever did.

/thread
I wish they went in deeper into the whole quantum "drift" sequence. I feel like actually getting into the head of another person, knowing their fears and deepest desires, would be more traumatic than it was portrayed in Pacific Rim. The relationships between the pilots weren't done very well, with the exception of the Australians. It could have very easily been a 2+ hour movie if DelToro decided to flesh out the characters. He had the cast.

It's a legit piece of art
Aesthetics a galore
The plot is very well thought through, it's not one of those things where the guys go "oh well let's see where this goes". No, it was planned from the get go. Think true detective s1.
"Secrets" as well, simbolisms, etc
Also fan service

>Not entirely related to your post but it infuriates me when people attempt to say Eva is a "deconstruction" or "subversion" of mecha anime tropes without having any experience with the genre
This is truly the dumbest shit.

NGE isn't the only work that suffers from the ignorant attempting to feel intelligent by slapping the word "deconstruction" on something they don't understand, but goddamn it still keeps happening after all these years.

The only thing Pacific Rim had in similarity with NGE is giant robots, which isn't unique to NGE.

okay, how is it not a deconstruction then?

They put this on netflix didn't they?

Tell me how it is a "deconstruction" first, you're the one making the claim.

No I'm not, anyways, it's commonly accepted that the show is a deconstruction, so it's up to you to prove how it isn't.

What constitutes a deconstruction and how does Evangelion fit that criteria?

kek

Just started this a few days ago. On episode 14. I like it alot but aside from the first few episodes it mostly seems like typical anime fare. Not the depressing trippy show that's been described.
I guess that changes down the line though.

>commonly accepted
>so it's up to you to prove how it isn't
That's not how this works.

If you're not willing or able to defend your point, link me an article or a blog post or whatever that makes the claim and provides reasoning behind the claim. I can't refute a point if I don't actually know the points being made.

prove it

it does

what is it a decontruction of?
the mecha genre? kek

Yes, and anime in general. This is an widely accepted notion within the anime community.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is the Apocalypse Now of anime.

pure kino

Just watch it.

>Ideon did Eva's plot better than Eva ever did.

You mean Devilman.

The larger "anime community" believes Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Steins Gate are the greatest anime ever made.

Give it 4 episodes. That's where the series really pivots.

That's just opinion though, Evangelion being a deconstruction is a fact.

tbf both of those are great anime

could've been shortened to 10 episodes maximum and have no spin offs or sequels

ReDeath

laughable
it has none of the subversion or exploration of a decontruction
it was simply ground breaking and weird for its time

I'm completely sincere.

They really aren't. Brotherhood is a very standard shounen story and the first half of Steins Gate is utter garbage. The only people who believe that are people with very little experience with anime.

It does have those things though.

Gonna post this, but I've long held the belief that at the very least the album was the West's Evangelion, a sad, confusing, albeit enjoyable product of one creative man's severe depression.

Anno wasn't deconstructing anything. He was using mecha as a vehicle for character progression and for him to express his depression following the cancellation of Nadia, not because he wanted to flip the genre on its head or anything like that.

>Bomeme Mememan

>anime community

The anime community are a bunch of braindead-level plebs.

death of the author

ignore anything from Sup Forums or Sup Forums or anywhere

just watch it

>Watching NGE
>Only available through the Crab Mafia, who demand $50 payment per episode viewing
>have to watch on CrabNet
>commercials for crab related/crab-produced products every 10 minutes, during which I have to stand
>have to clap after commercial breaks
>have to wear foamy crab headgear
>Asuka has been edited into a Crab girl
>The unit 02 has been edited into a giant crab suit
>The Angels are all variants of fishermen or anglers, or somehow relate to nautical-themed humans

thanks obama

Good example, BoJack also gets ignored and mocked based on shit that doesn't even have to do with the work itself, and entirely on the way detractors view the awful fucking "fans" who tend to be the most vocal, and the most wrong at the same time.

That's not what death of the author means either.

>being an illiterate idiot who doesn't know what deconstruction actually means
>cannot even spell the word properly

fucking plugsuits user

stupid idiot

Fine then. The genre of mecha is merely a backdrop for what is truly important in the show, that being the main characters' evolution and progression. The series could have been about being a fucking pastry chef, but as long as the characters were intact, the series would have been the same. The mech fights and events in Evangelion like the 3rd impact are only catalysts for the characters' evolution and eventual acceptance of who they are. The mechs don't matter as long as the characters are the same, because that's what the show is really about.

*baka

>That's not what death of the author means either.

That's exactly what it means. Go read Barthes and then hang yourself retard.

I hope you're not serious
If you really like that shitty movie kill urself

Not really, the mechs are a fundamental part of how Eva works, and the psychology of it is completely bonkers. NGE also completely repurposes the characters, the symbols and the systems of value of traditional mecha anime, that's what deconstruction is all about. It mostly happened thanks to Anno constant self-doubt and self-reflection during those years, very similar to Cervantes actually.

one of the taiwanese new wave movies

Neat mug, buddy.

Can you explain what exactly the symbols and systems of value traditional mecha anime have and how Evangelion repurposes them? It's all well and good to say frivolous statements about a genre you know nothing of, but please try and justify such statements.

Shiki Jistsu of course.
vimeo.com/154109705

You can start with the mechs, in most anime it's just a weapon.

I tried watching this when it first came out and the first couple of episodes weren't that captivating. Does it get better or something? I just don't think I am a fan of western cartoons for adults, firstly because the artstyle is just bland. I also hate how it always has to have something wacky to it like in this case having everyone be an animal.

>Ep 14
Yeah, anything between ep 7-14 is a misdirection to lull you into a sense of comfort. you're about to turn a corner.

You can start by watching something that isn't shit like The Venture Bros.

Do you mean The Venture Bros. isn't shit? It seemed like an interesting show.

Post Modernism in a format it had rarely appeared in before along with what was at the time, the best design work in the industry of both characters and mechs

It's very good and also parodies of old-school cartoons in a crazy manner.

People think that because its loldeep and confusing with muh symbolism that its a work of art. when in reality people wanted to jack off do comatose Asuka, doll Rei, or hot momma Misato

I will try watching it.

>thinks it's impossible to appreciate complex and well-developed characters while masturbating to them

Stop lying, almost no one jacked off to hot momma Misato.

Death of the author, according to Barthes himself, isn't solely the assertion that a work can mean something entirely different than what the author intended, and in fact the essay has very little to do with that often brought up point, mostly by people who just read the title of the essay at face value, and nothing else.

In the essay, Barthes mostly derides the practice of literary critique focusing entirely on analysis based on the concept that an author's assumed background should somehow define a text, and how assumptions of an author's perceived characteristics detracts from possible interpretations by establishing a single, narrow viewpoint.

In the same essay, in the epigraph even, he poses this question:
>It will always be impossible to know, for the good reason that all writing is itself this special voice, consisting of several indiscernible voices, and that literature is precisely the invention of this voice, to which we cannot assign a specific origin

However, in regards to this context, specifically that Anno has stated on multiple occasions that NGE was a way he faced his depression after the cancellation of his previous work, the idea of a specific origin is clearly stated by the creator of the work. The assertion cannot be made that somehow this clearly stated motivation is an assumption of the creator's background or assumed characteristics.

Whipping out "death of the author" everytime you draw an incorrect interpretation of a work based on claims not backed by any evidence other than "widely accepted opinion" that isn't widely accepted at all is just not what death of the author means.

>almost no one jacked off to hot momma Misato.

That's a shame since she is clearly the best by a long shot.

Arthur the Aardvark is the evangelion of evangelion because it is a deconstruction of anthropomorphic aadvarks.

>what is Astroganger, Giant Robo, Tetsujin, J-Decker or Da Garn
How much mecha anime have you seen? I can safely assume the answer is "very little" from your statement. In fact it's more rare that you see mecha that exclusively represent "weapons".

>evangelion was written by a depressed virgin with homosexual tendencies he never truly acted on
Really makes sense.

Sure, she's pretty nice, but let's not lie to ourselves.

>in most anime it's just a weapon.

Everyone with good taste did.

You understand.

The first thing you have to do is stop thinking that reading a Wikipedia summary is a good substitute for proper reading. Just stop posting pleb until you have actually read the article and some extra material.

>he only reads secondary sources