When people look back on the 2010's, what are the albums they will say are the most significant artistic works?

When people look back on the 2010's, what are the albums they will say are the most significant artistic works?

pic related is my personal choice

Prove me wrong.

ok

it's just pop rock

The Life of Pablo will be the only album from this decade anybody remembers in fifty years.

"no"

It's not interesting in the slightest

Like it or not

not mainstream enough, i wish though

objectively this

this thread isn't predicated on what is popular

TMR wasn't popular. Faust wasn't popular. TVU sure weren't popular.

PAAARTY ROCK IS IN THE HOUSE TONIGHT

yes

maybe, if the current 'folk revival' gets big enough

swans already had their moment of influence and importance, though
I highly doubt people will look back at these three new albums as significant when they're as old as their old albums

only the pop plebs
the same people who remember Rumors

It was literally in the Rock Top 40

lol no

Well you really can't guess what people will or won't remember tbqhf even as an artist your legacy is completely beyond your actions

some things are very certain

Significant means important or influential to the sound/scene around them at the time, not wether you personally enjoy the music, user. Take ur meds and go to bed and let the adults discuss like adults.

While I don't love Mac DeMarco or this album, it's hard to deny that everyone and their mothers are dressing like Mac DeMarco and recording lo-fi music.

It definitely captures the whole jangle pop scene that took place in the early 10's.
Yeezus maybe, TLOP is bad.

I just realized this album is 7 years old now.

This album is important not because of its sounds (though the songwriting is really good) but because it perfectly captures the zeitgeist of the time it was released.

Unironically this.

The 2010's has a massive problem that I don't feel any previous decade had, except maybe very early on in vinyl recording history. Right now we've got a truly insane number of artists, and a lot of them are getting play on the internet by small, fractured sub-cultures of individuals. To these people, those artists and those albums mean a lot - they represent a lot of the good things about music. However, no one outside of these tiny groups will ever hear of about those artists, or those albums.

On the other hand we still have some absolute monsters in the music world that have star power and wide appeal. Yet it's incredibly unlikely that anyone who is a series music critic would say those artists and their albums are significant, or innovative. They don't define the sound of the decade, essentially. They just exist. For instance, I like Schoolboy Q, a lot. I think that Schoolboy Q's Blank Face LP is an incredibly good album, but does anyone remember it? Think of a big album from last year you liked quite a bit as well, and now try to recall if you've even thought of that thing in the last six months or not.

This is why I am mentioning Exmilitary. It's got this middle ground. What started off as one of the most obscure, purposefully I might add, projects ever - exploded into popularity over the internet. Normies don't know who the fuck Death Grips are, but a lot of people are aware of Death Grips. And their music has shown up in quite a few places as well. Further, DG has done a lot in the way to make people think about how they could potentially approach Rap now. Look at what BROCKHAMPTON did with Saturation for instance. Their first album was absolute garbage, but then they figured out they could take a loud, banging, angry punk angle and just leap frog from there.

I also think that Tyler probably has a place somewhere in helping to shape the genre for a new group of artists of this decade and the next. Katy Perry fans can't say the same.

DG is notoriously known to be just a reddit and Sup Forums thing though. Better fit for your description would be

Kanye West
Kendrick Lamar
The National
Run The Jewels
Janelle Monae
D'Angelo
Flying Lotus
Danny Brown
Frank Ocean

Fuck off cancer.

Remember how Fantano gave R plus 7 a 5/10?
And Narkopop a 2/10?

This will likely be dadrock someday

It was just a meme. but you guys have a good point.

Almost definitely. SFTD and Rated R too

I am going to press pause on your list.

Kanye and Kendrick are massive normie artists. You can try and defend them by saying that just because they're popular, that doesn't defeat the strength of the argument. I think it does, particularly because despite this popularity neither of them have had any sort of impact on the music coming out. Those fuckheads who won't stop making dime store trap music and mumbling have literally had a greater impact on the genre given the number of copycats that exist. This is what substantial artistic works are by definition - how many people try and copycat you. Look at Eminem. How many fucking guys came up trying to be Eminem as a result of Eminem's popularity. Literally thousands, perhaps tens of thousands. Fucking Tech N9ne made a track with a dude who did the best Eminem impression I've ever heard in my life, even throwing down lyrics that sounded like something Eminem would write all because he couldn't get Eminem.

The National is garbage. Nothing they've ever produced could be called substantial. I know a billion artists who have the same sound, and have had it for longer. They don't define the 10's by any stretch of the imagination, and no one will remember them next decade.

RTJ is literally Rebbitt - the band. El-P is practically untouchable as a producer, so, I suppose that an argument could be made that future producers will look at El's work and take cues from that. Just as they will Flying Lotus.

Janelle, I love her, I do. She's beautiful, and wickedly talented, but she hasn't created anything that anyone remembers except maybe The ArchAndroid, and even that's questionable. I don't see this album has being anything that anyone remarks as having left some kind of indelible fingerprints on the decade either way.

D'Angelo... really? I like Black Messiah a considerable amount, but I nearly forgot the dude fucking existed until you mentioned him.

>Danny Brown

You might have something there will Danny. A lot of fucking guys came out of the wood works to copy him. Old is a solid album by all standards, and consequently the rest of his discography is worth a listen. Therefore I must admit that Danny should be considered, but I want to make point here - Danny is by no fucking measure anywhere near as popular as say Drake, Kendrick, Frank Ocean, Chance, etc.

These, especially Sunbather, with it being the logical conclusion of music and all

Also I'm not a particularly big fan of this album, but still

Yeah, and also

Insignificant since the phenomenon around that type of music started with this

i swear to fucking god, this will be a cult classic

It's crazy how catchy If I Had A Tail is.

I Appear Missing is probably one of my favorite songs of all time.

this tbqfh

Sound of Silver was better, but This Is Happening definitely has its place.

>Kanye and Kendrick are massive normie artists. You can try and defend them by saying that just because they're popular, that doesn't defeat the strength of the argument.

dude what's your 'argument'? that because they're the most popular and critically lauded artists working, they won't be remembered kindly in the future? are you retarded?

it's more that it didn't garner enough attention to be one of the significant artistic works of an entire decade

exactly, kendrick and kanye are definitely gonna leave their marks in significant works of the 2010s

Influence doesn't matter. Kanye/Kendrick are the two most popular and highly critically lauded artists this decade by a country mile.

The National has consistently been the well lauded since 2000, more so than any of their post punk revival buddies. What you say about them and what the youtube views, the internet aggregate rating sites like Metacritic/RYM/Sputnik, the critics, etc. say are two different things, and the latter win out.

Calling RTJ reddit doesn't mean anything. It's just an incoherent buzzword. What we know is that they are popular and highly critically lauded.

Janelle released a giant maximalist masterwork a short time before Kanye did in 2010, just started last year in TWO movies which were both nominated for a ton of Oscars/got insanely high reviews/love, is considered such a fashion icon that she was on today's episode of Access Hollywood. She's gonna be remembered, that's for sure.

D'Angelo's Black Messiah has near unanimous critic love for aoty 2014, and this is despite the slow start the album got in terms of people getting to it since it came out near end of the year. It's influence has already been heard on the likes of TPAB.

Danny Brown will be what Mobb Deep are for the 2010s: dark and gritty, somewhat popular, but not the most popular.

shit man, I love this album, in fact I think it's one of the decade's best. but hardly even know about it outside places like this, so who are these people you're referring to, music critics?

I fucking PRAY that one day Death Grips ends up influencing a good amount of artists, and music history recognizes just how unique they are.

I unironically think they have one of the most unique and innovative approaches to music in not only the 2010s, but of the century so far. Their whole discography, especially their last few albums, are just so creative and genius IMO.

Sadly, part of me thinks they're just going to be forgotten, and that they peaked in popularity and acclaim during TPTB release. Pah. At least Kanye and Tyler were influenced by them, although I find the former's influence to be exaggerated and don't care for the latter artist at all.

like clockwork...

I hope not, they set the worst precedence for music. Repetitive structures and vocal delivery from MC ride doesn't automatically make the interesting timbres any good. It's kinda what happened with nu metal as well that people thought was cool as shit at first, but then realized it's kinda limited in scope.

Anyone would call a track like Giving Bad People Good Ideas a godawful attempt at black metal because of how few riffs there are in that track with no progression in structure except to that second bit. Yet it's DG so people will dick ride it hard.

This.
The only people praising Death Grips are edgy white teen males who haven't listened to much music

The structures are only repetitive on some of their songs. All of TPTB had very layerd and dynamic structures. As for MC Ride, I think he brings great vocal performance and lyrics, but that's honestly entirely subjective and he's a love or hate artist for sure.

I do agree that the repetiveness of some tracks is definitely a valid criticism, though I still find it a great listen regardless. Their poppier albums are the most guilty of this, such as Bottomless Pit and The Money Store. But In a way you could argue that DG makes the repetitive pop formulas more interesting, and twists it into something demented and experimental.

probably death grips and swans and a bunch of other bullshit

>All of TPTB had very layerd and dynamic structures.
NOTM has most of the tracks go "play A, then play B, then play A again, then play B again" like 99% of their discography. Jenny Death is the only record where a couple of the tracks deviate from it like the track The Powers That B.

>As for MC Ride, I think he brings great vocal performance and lyrics, but that's honestly entirely subjective and he's a love or hate artist for sure.
His performance is way too one dimensional for it to be any good in a minimal structure setting like Death Grips. Like his style works for hardcore punk and metal, but hardcore punk has tracks a fraction of the length of DGs, and metal has a far more progressive structure to change things up more often.

What baffles me the most is that they have goddamn Zach Hill in the band, yet they have something this simplistic structurally.

>NOTM has most of the tracks go "play A, then play B, then play A again, then play B again" like 99% of their discography. Jenny Death is the only record where a couple of the tracks deviate from it like the track The Powers That B.
Please post specific examples of this. The Powers That B isn't even their most dynamic song by a long shot, don't know why you used that as a counterexample.

>His performance is way too one dimensional
Fair criticism, he does honestly have a lot of verses that sound identical in tone, but I still find them to be authentic, animalistic, and complementary to the tracks.

Zach Hill is absolutely the best part of Death Grips. I don't know how you can listen to songs like "Voila" and "Come Up and Get Me" and not be at least a little impressed with the drumming.

But overall you seem to be under the impression that complexity = good and repetition = bad, which may be gospel for pretentious Sup Forumstants or esteemed music scholars, but I'd like to think that repetition is fine when done correctly, such as in DG's case.

So at the expense of catchieness, one of their most important aspects, you want them to make long winded, more pointless songs? I like avant garde and ambient and stuff, but these obviously serve different purposes. Like TISM said, it's almost harder to write a catchy pop song than some John Cage improve piece.

I agree. Not that I like it I don't even listen to rap but it has the right combo of popularity and critical acclaim

Actually wait probably to pimp a butterfly since it's got the cultural weight and we are talking about pop music so that's really the most important factor

>Please post specific examples of this.
Up My Sleeves, after it's intro, has the main part, and then the more glitch sounding second part that it goes back and forth between.
Why A Bitch Gotta Lie is even worse than I described because after the initial set-up bit it's the same riff.

>The Powers That B isn't even their most dynamic song by a long shot, don't know why you used that as a counterexample.
The structure for that track is ABCABDBDEABF (the F if we count the outro); even if we don't count the outro it's still far more versatile than typical DG ABABAB.

>I don't know how you can listen to songs like "Voila" and "Come Up and Get Me" and not be at least a little impressed with the drumming.
Because he's got no sense for groove while he's also nowhere near as varying in technique/rhythms as his other projects.

>but I'd like to think that repetition is fine when done correctly, such as in DG's case.
No, repetition done correctly is Steve Reich, it's Swans, it's literally any hip hop artist that has more variety in approaching vocal delivery/structure.

DG is the epitome of the ADHD band in the 2010s because they offer nothing outside visceral energy (which they aren't even the best group at delivering) and "interesting" timbres (which I guess is cool if you have never bothered to listen to actual electronic music in your life.)
>So at the expense of catchieness, one of their most important aspects, you want them to make long winded, more pointless songs?
No...why would I want them to make long winded, pointless songs? Is the title track TPTB long winded and pointless? It's one of their longer tracks with a far more diverse structure than the vast majority of their stuff. But no, I would like them to make interesting music. As most DG tracks are right now, I would actually rather they cut most tracks down to half length.

Not him, but some stand-outs for me are Say Hey Kid and On GP
Huge DG fan btw

never thought i'd see the day when there was intelligent discussion on Sup Forums

>which they aren't even the best group at delivering
Prove it.
>which I guess is cool if you have never bothered to listen to actual electronic music in your life.
Prove it.

[This is more relevant to /dark/ but]
Probably one of the most well-rounded releases by a contemporary goth band; and while Drab Majesty does have a shtick of sound retro, they have the creativity to actually expand and redevelop that sound instead of sounding like another SOM clone or copying Joy Division and The Cure because "it's so retro and traditional huagh huagh!" instead of making new stuff that doesn't sound like something we've heard a million times.

>Normies don't know Death Grips
This isn't true, though. They know Death Grips, they just don't like Death Grips.

>Kanye
>hasn't had an sort of impact on music coming out
808s had a significant impact on music and got a lot of copycats, Drake being one of them.

whats the name of this album again?

Kendrick Lamar GKMC
iceage New Brigade
Probably anything p4k likes u bunch of shills
As well as:
These definitely

This is awful Starbucks tier folk though

>no one posted the album of the decade

>repetitive structures
>inherently bad

So that's most music other than jazz out the window then is it?

Lemonade

prove me wrong

of course mac will be remembered in the future
rather you like his music or not he made a whole generation act and look a sudden way
he changed things

plus he's the no doubt the most popular indie musician atm

any it's not even offical

The Age of Adz
Carrie & Lowell
R+7

yes

maybe
nah

that's way more interesting than discomfort but it's from 09

Literally this generation's limp biscuit. Try again.

I buy this but tbqh Brockhampton is WAY more indebted to odd future than to death grips

without a doubt

Go ask anyone on your school/workplace that you don't know and see if they know DG

Who fucking cares

most people at your workplace don't know Velvet Underground or Can either

they're irrelevant

I agree

relevance is relative
the clue is in the word

agreed

terrible taste

it's not about the taste you dipshit

obviously

this album was good for maybe one or two listens
>muh nirvana listeners

D'Angelo's work in this decade is definitely not what stands out in his discography. He really made his mark with Brown Sugar and Voodoo.

Not saying Black Messiah wasn't great, but it didn't have an enormous impact on music at the time like his first album did.

>His performance is way too one dimensional for it to be any good in a minimal structure setting like Death Grips.

This is so true. He simply isn't strong enough of a rapper to create prolonged interest with his rapping. He's got crazy energy, but that's only gonna take you so far, especially when you are working with someone as rhythmically dynamic as Zach Hill.

This will go down as a very important record.