So Sup Forums, call me a pleb but I just had the privilege to watch pic related at the Cinerama Dome yesterday...

So Sup Forums, call me a pleb but I just had the privilege to watch pic related at the Cinerama Dome yesterday, having never seen this film or anything close to its scale it blew my fucking mind. It was a war movie, a thrilling historical drama, a character exposé, and a wonderful story rooted in (embellished) history, and it's still very relevant in today's political climate.

Since this movie is called an "epic", I have set out to see more epics, but I'm not exactly sure how the genre is even defined. What do YOU consider an "epic"?

So far I have seen:
Lawrence of Arabia

I intend on seeing:
Ben-Hur
Gone With the Wind

What else falls under the "epic" category?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_film
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Lion of The Desert, One Upon a Time in America, Dollars Trilogy, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Message: The Story of Muhammad.

>One Upon a Time in America

skip this one, it drags on pointlessly, was boring as fuck imo.

add apocalypse now: redux and doctor zhivago to your list

>All-male cast movie

Fuck off with your sexism

Ignore this fucking pleb, One Upon a Time in America is literally the greatest movie ever made, Apocalypse now Redux is horrible, watch the normal one, Doctor Zhivago is great.

>The Message: The Story of Muhammad.
oy veyyyyyy

It's pretty good honestly, just think of it as a Historical Action rather than a religious movie. Guy who did it also did Lion of the Desert and Halloween.

nah the pacing is terrible. it's way too long.

An epic is "a lengthy narrative often concerning itself with a serious subject containing details of heroic deeds and events significant to a culture or nation." Epics tend to be historical, they traditionally begin in medias res. The genre epic derives from the often grandiose presentation epics have.

Lawrence of Arabia is my favorite movie of all time. I think the most comparable movie might be Apocalypse Now, which is similarly, also "a war movie, a thrilling historical drama, a character expose, and a wonderful story rooted in history."

Ben-Hur and Gone With the Wind are alright, I didn't care for either. Its been a while since I've seen Ben-Hur, but I saw GWTW in recent time, and despite its length, it surprisingly doesn't drag that much.

I gotta say, most epics that exist really aren't worth watching. They're probably the hardest genre to really make good. They cost a shit ton first off, its really easy to screw them up due to budget management, time management, and basically keeping the viewer entertained for an often three hour running time. Out of all I've seen, I really only say Lawrence, 2001, Seven Samurai, and Apocalypse Now are the only must watch.

I've seen Gladiator, Gandhi, Spartacus, Cleopatra, Braveheart, Saving Private Ryan, Patton, Apocalypto, Titanic, Gettsyburg, and a few others, and while they are all enjoyable to watch, they don't come close to Lawrence or 2001.

Gladiator
Braveheart
Cleopatra
Gandhi
The Last Emperor
Gettysburg
Hamlet (Brannagh version)
Heavn's Gate
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (basically a comedy version of an epic movie)
Kingdom of Heaven
Passion of the Christ
Seven Samurai
The Magnificent Seven
Spartacus

i like to pair bridge on the river kwai with lawrence, it makes a great double feature

OP here, good suggestions so far. I'm completely fine with long-ass movies, in fact that's one of the things I loved about the two I've seen so far.

Is Zulu an epic? I haven't seen Michael Cain in his younger years but it looks cool

>Is Zulu an epic?
most def

>Apocalypto

So much this one, fucking perfect.

This shit too.

Checked

I highly recommend Ben Hur, I still regard it as one of the greatest movies ever made.

If you want to continue the Christian theme but go somewhere different, try these two animated epics

>The Prince of Egypt
>Joseph, Krince of Dreams

>The Message: The Story of Muhammad

I've already seen the 9/11 documentaries thanks user

>He believes the official story.

billy london

This. It's the kind of film that really lingers on the palate.

>eating films

What's going on in that pic?

The Sand Pebbles
The Last Emperor

a candle was .02 cm away from where it is supposed to be

>Forgetting best chinkepic

of those movies I only actually like 'Gone with the Wind' op

Ben-Hur is amazing, watched it last week and it's suprisingly good, but there's a Christianity side to it
So if you're a fedora-tipper, you might get annoyed but solid film, would recommend

I was watching this last night. Worst thing about it is you watch it, love it, aim to see it again but every time you want to you realise it's 3.5 hours you'll have to be sitting there. So I've never seen it since without multitasking.

I think one of the reasons I liked it is that it didn't try and shoehorn in a shitty romance and didn't have any female characters which would've then led to sexism which TRIGGERS me.

So, anything like it without romance or women?

Ryan accidentally broke the NASA lens but he quickly told an anti-Semitic joke to calm Kubrick down

Am I the only one that found the first hour of this boring? The setup and exposition and character building was too slow and dry and stuffy. It was great after obiwan appeared though

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

I actually thought Alec Guinness' performance was the weakest part. Omar Sharif really carried his own scenes though. His introduction as Sherif Ali is nothing short of legendary.

Fuck you

It was shit
I don't give a fuck how pretentious it sounds but I have pretty decent taste i movies and I am say without a doubt that movie doesn't deserve even half of the praise it gets

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

just saw this last night, what a fine movie. Alec Guiness was a powerhouse. That ,"what have I done," moment at the end of the movie was sublime.

>muh women lie by omission only for nobel means and never for cheating
>muh humble and accidentally ambitious ben
>muh multiculti alliance against racist roman puritans

The Four Feathers (1939)

isn't there an epic film with a freemason reference?

This one?

yeah I think that's the one. I haven't seen it yet but it's on my must watch list

What was shit about it?

>Lawrence of Arabia at the Cinerama Dome
Bet that was pretty great. I saw it in 70mm at the Egyptian and that was absolutely spectacular. Like, a life changing experience, one of my favorite films of all time thanks to that one showing.

how old are you?

Well trimmed bowl cuts are pretty effay u gotta admit my liberal friend

Should I also add as a plus to LoA that it is a movie women really cant get into? It's literally made by men for men as it touches the aspects of life only us find interesting. Because of this, the length and the total lack of sexual romanticism 99% of gfs will get bored the fuck out and abhor it.

>Apocalypto...doesn't come close to Lawrence or 2001.
Apocalypto was fucking great nigger
You didn't fall for jewish anti-Mel Gibson tricks did you?

MOST women can't get into those types of movies, but I've met a couple that have been able to. A lot of them actually enjoy shit you would think they'd hate. For instance, my mothers favorite movie used to be Lethal Weapon. Women as a whole cant get into it, yes, but there are exceptions to every rule.

Yeah. That's why I used the infamous '99%' statistic mark, to denote that there still will be a 1%, or in other words, a small amount of them that will TRULY appreciate it and could consider it as a personal favorite.

If your gf sits with you throughout this whole film without yawning or showing signs of boredom she'll likely do it because she sees that you like it a lot and wants your acceptance or, in the less probable case, she is really liking it aswell.

The thing I like about Ben Hur is that Masala actually did nothing wrong and was the good guy, but you cheer for Ben Hur because he's trying to save his family

>Noble Roman Officer wants to bring peace and civility to the middle east by subduing violent Jewish supremacists who follow ancient customs

ALALALALA MUSTAFAA MUSTAFAAAA FUCK ME IN THE ASS I'M THE LAWRENCE OF ARABIAAAA

I never understood this mentality. Sure there are a lot of women with shit taste in movies, but there are a shitton of men as well that can't sit through a good drama or thriller. My wife's favorite movie is Master and Commander, which surprised the hell out of me when I met her.

Does your wife's son like Master and Commander aswell?

He better.

I always missed it at the egyptian when I lived in LA. might make the drive sometime from SD, i bet it's worth it.

It's not bad but no, it doesn't come close to the greatest movies of all time.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_film
There are examples there too.

>The son of God goes forth to war
>A kingly crown to gain
>His bloodred banner streams afar
>Who follows in his train?

>ctrl+f

>No 'Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Arc' comes up

The Fuck is wrong with you lot?

it belongs in a Rabbi's foreskin collection jar.

read the fucking OP.

AH

the most recent king kong is bretty baller

Ran

apex kek

Just go any film that you can watch , on 60mm. Haven't checked "Ben-Hur" & "Gone With The Wind" eh !? Those two are especially meant to be filmed on epic scale. Go see them in the way it meant to be before you die.

"Wild Bunch" looked so good on the big scale, user.

Wish we had more cinemas like the Cinerama Dome. Always wanted to see an actual 3-strip Cinerama presentation.

Das Boot
Watch the uncut version - its like 5 hours long and totally worth it

This is one of the most amazingly large scale war films I have ever seen. The attention to detail in the battle scenes and the huge attempt at trying to keep it as historically accurate as possible is amazing.

A definite watch for anyone who hasn't seen it and loves epics.

>great double feature
god damn user that sounds like a great 7 hours

The great escape is another epic movie.

>That scene when they form squares and the cavalry charges past while the guns and cannons are all firing at will
>That one Welles scene
>That French Honor Guard refusing to surrender

Great fucking move

modern summer blockbusters feel like vine compilations when you're learned in the works of david lean.

he had a pretty big influence on the original star wars, which is what elevates its direction above JJ's spastic insecurity to let a scene breathe.

Fucking kek

>like vine compilations
they might as well be, have you seen Every Frame a Painting's video on editing? He made a point about how ant man if edited so blandly and quickly that you don't have time to empathize with any of the emotions the protagonist is feeling.

Maybe it's an offbeat choice but I've always considered Love Exposure an epic.

Giu la testa AKA duck you sucker AKA Fistfull of dynamite

This is Ennio Morricone film but much superior to his spaghetti westerns. Be sure that it is the full cut and not the US studio version.

Excellent study of revolution, classes, adventure, comedy and just great chemistry from Coburn and Steiger. And of course ennio morricone soundtrack.

This movie is so underrated that it kills my heart.

> Ennio morricone film

I meant Sergio Leone of course

I fucking hate Lawrence of Arabia, but you should definitely watch Gone With the Wind, it's wonderful