I just got kicked out of my illegally converted garage in a mayor city. What are my rights...

I just got kicked out of my illegally converted garage in a mayor city. What are my rights? I've paid the rent on time for the past 4 yrs, and I have the personal check records to prove it.

Out of nowhere my landlord wants me out by next month? WFT can I do? I pay $700 a month which I know is below market value. What can I do?

this shitty garage is illegal for sure. A deathtrap according to legal documents.

Other urls found in this thread:

dcba.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/dca/main/home/yourhome/livinginyourrentalunit/
hrc-la.org/doc.asp?id=36
lafla.org/help/services/housing-and-eviction/
la.curbed.com/2017/4/19/15360412/los-angeles-renters-rights-eviction
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Burn that bitch down.

Sue the landlord for even letting you live in a garage. Say that you had no knowledge that it was poorly converted and dangerous. Also get some doctors to tag on some medical problems on you from mold or asbestos.
Get rich.

What city? Some cities have strong tenant protections, like Chicago's Residential Landlord Tenant Ordinance. Other cities (especially in the South) are more landlord friendly and give tenants no extra rights beyond what they negotiate in their lease contract.

this son. Get you all that rent money back and then some. ESPECIALLY if you were writing his ass checks. Holy fuck you could take him for so much money.

Dope

I know a chick who is at least making 10k off her "coughing fits" from "black mold" I'd give it a whirl like user says. Btw most lawyers do free consultations so I'd go in there present your situation to the most depraved attorney you can find.

ITT: naive teens
user unless you have some kind of a contract your best bet is to just bite the bullet and find somewhere else to live. If you can't afford it find a roommate. The fact that you live where you live tells me you don't have the money for a lawsuit which you will probably lose and will take many months. Sucks, deal with it and move on.

California, Los angeles. I was comfy as fuck till shit hit the fan. People pay twice or three times as much I do in rent.

Still, they can't just kick me out in 30 days or less. I think. I know I'm riding dirty, but so are they (landlord assholes)

Pretty much this.
And to add, why even bother with something this trivial

>why even bother
That's the attitude for success in life.
Fuck the landlord over as much as possible. Get a free consult with a lawyer and see what he thinks. If he sees a payout, he'll do that shit.
People fucking made millions for spilling hot coffee on themselves in USA.

civil suits are cheap as fuck. Fight it on your own and do your own research. They will fold. You have to upper head here. You can even live for free for up to 12 months since it's an illegal contract if there is even on.

dcba.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/dca/main/home/yourhome/livinginyourrentalunit/

hrc-la.org/doc.asp?id=36

lafla.org/help/services/housing-and-eviction/

Resist your eviction. Drag it through the courts. Even if you don't get to stay, you should at least get a few months of free rent.

"If a unit is not habitable, the landlord is supposed to remedy it immediately, but technically they're also forbidden from collecting rent for that unit."

la.curbed.com/2017/4/19/15360412/los-angeles-renters-rights-eviction

>What can I do?

By definition, renting / tenanting an illegal apartment is outside the jurisdiction of the court system.
It's like trying to sue your drug dealing for cheating you on your last purchase.

There may be some ways to recover security deposit,
but the courts can't enforce an illegal contract -
which means an illegal apartment.

You can always threaten the landlord with reporting him to the city in exchange for you staying there,
but really, there is only one way for this to end up - you'll have to get out and be smarter next time.

thanks guys. Doing my research as we speak. I know this isn't right.

>You can even live for free for up to 12 months since it's an illegal contract

This is bullshit.
Illegal contracts are outside of the realm of the courts by definition.

Did the tenant know it's an illegal apartment? I'm sure the landlord didn't advertise that.

From his perspective he's in the gold and the landlord fucked up.

>you don't have the money for a lawsuit which you will probably lose and will take many months

This is not true.
There are special courts just for landlord / tenant disputes.
They don't cost much money because lawyers aren't involved, much like small claims.

Doesn't matter if tenant knows or not.
It's still an illegal tenancy, which means that
normal eviction processes don't apply.
Staying in the room would be closer to trespassing.

The upside is that landlords cannot collect old, outstanding rent from an illegal tenancy.
But rent already paid is just water under the bridge and can't be recovered either.

if you have no lease or contract you legally only need 30 day warning from the time you last paid rent.. no you can not sue maybe for security deposit but thats it....

>can't be recovered either.
Wait, so he illegally collected money and he can't get it back? He has checks to prove it.
Nigger shut the fuck up.

this seems like a contract law issue, read your lease agreement and see if there is anything in there about notice an shit.

you wont get a pay out. dobbing him in for having a dodgy conversion is just lame man. you didn't have a problem living there and paying the low rent, now he needs you out so you decide to throw a hissy fit.

check your agreement, if you dont have an agreement then you can read up on implied contract law in your state, there is always some definition on rights and responsibilities for tenants. you'll find that a months notice is standard.

tl:dr stop bitching and just move on dude.

this doesn't include damages outside of the tenant renter relation i.e he cant sue for health issues and receive medical

In LA people living in and paying rent on illegally converted units still have the same protections that any other tenant would have.

yes this protection are the 30 day eviction process without a contract or lease any time you rent you should never count on it more then then a month by month arrangement that is what they are meant to be

You sound like the type of guy to just lay down and cry when shit hits the fan.
Fuck the landlord back as much as possible for self profit. You don't live in a pink bubble, fagot.

Legal or not, he lived there paying rent. He has the same right as any other legal paying tenant. Specially in california

>Wait, so he illegally collected money and he can't get it back? He has checks to prove it.
>Nigger shut the fuck up.

Absolutely true.
You can't collect all the rent you paid on an illegal apartment.
You actually lived there and received benefit from the rent.
Plus, it goes straight to the idea of not being able to use the court systems
for illegal uses.

Smart tenants use an illegal tenancy to stop paying rent.
Dumb tenants are like the OP, who find themselves the victim when the landlord changes his mind.

This. You paid him for money for a place to live. He now wants that arrangement to come to an end, so has given you a month to find a new place. He's not trying to screw you. Find a new place to live.

literally just sued my former boss for unpaid wages, a legitimate claim that got me a payout. so you're a little off base, maybe projecting a little m8.

being a spiteful faggot because the world doesn't do what you want doesn't make you a big man, it makes you a shitlord.

Well I'm a rich shitlord if it comes to that.
If I cared about other shitlords feelings and finances I'd live in a garage like OP.

>housing me illegally
>had no problems with landlord
>heck even rent price was cheap as dirt
>I'll sue that bastard for giving me a 30 day advance notice to leave my ILLEGAL transformed garage

Fuck you and everyone who said sue him

>my ILLEGAL
You mean HIS illegal transformed garage.

>If I cared about other shitlords feelings and finances I'd live in a garage like OP.

>op here

Just for the record my garage is sweet as fuck. Still, it sucks when people see you down and try to take advantage of you. This is not the first time. I've had my AC broken for moths, a water leak during rainy season (It's CA, but still that week sucked balls). In addition, he witched my paycheck payments to all cash without even a warning.

I'm know I'm at the bottom of the foot chain here, but I'm still suing this asshole in civil court for all I can get.

I moth or two of free rent would be nice..

you must be in LA/NY or VERY expensive area for 700 a month for a GARAGE... I'd put milk and water in landloard's car and rob him immediately but that's just me, what you got for income/work/savings?

if this ever went to court OP a judge will see through your bullshit in a second and you'll be up for counter-claims.

pick your fights kiddo.

Are you successful?
That is not the attitude for success, you are wasting time when you could be productive.

>Are you successful?
I'd say so, but that's not the point here.
If you'd ever notice, nearly everyone successful is a shitlord using the weak and dumb.

Yeah my bad, this is a fucking joke lmao.

dude even with a fully legit tenancy agreement you'd still be given a months notice. this is not you getting fucked over, unless there is some other shit going on that you're not telling us about.

you say he switched your paychecks to cash, so he's your boss too?

man you NEVER mix work with personal life. you put yourself in a position to be taken advantage of. doesn't matter how good to deal is, you never ever let your boss have control of any aspect of your personal life.

you played yourself faggot. walk away while you still have some dignity.

>he witched my paycheck payments to all cash without even a warning.
YOU'RE THERE ILLEGALLY DUMB FUCK
WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?
TO STAY THERE FOR ENTERNITY?
IT'S HIS FUCKING PLACE
YOU SHOULD BE THANKFUL HE GAVE YOU A FUCKING MONTH NOTICE

holy shit how dumb are you?

Also to add to everyone saying "you have the bank cheques as a record of paying rent."
There is no record of that money going towards an "illegal garage conversion"
The landlord could simply note that you are a roommate, and that money was going towards bills.
How else can you subdivide a garage.

This is what my poorfag shack looks like. Hope you guys are happy! . I'm suing fuckers left and right as we speak.

>unemployed accountant by the way.

#1 Stop living in a garage
#2 Get all your shit out of there.
#3 Break open a shit pipe on your way out.

Your landlord made the mistake of sharing with you his reasons requiring you to move. He'd been better off saying he needed the space and giving you written notice to vacate within the time given on the lease (usually one month). If there was no lease or contract, there is little to go on either way; for you or the landlord and a court will make the decision...and that decision would most likely be in favor of the landlord. You were provided a domicile for the requested amount, and all was in good faith; details would not spend much or any time discussing the fact that it might be an illegal garage conversion.

Given that he has a contract that allows him to ask you to leave w/in the prescribed time, you have no recourse but to leave; and it's best to keep calm and just do it. This contract also absolves him from having to pay you any funds to refund you for vacating to a new place. If you signed a lease/contract that stated XX days to vacate, if requested, then that's what you agreed to at the time of the signing. Often it's not something that people face, and believe (at the time of the signing) that 30/60 days is plenty of time to find a new place, but it's a different reality when it actually happens.

As someone else already stated, you DO have rights to sue, but it would probably be best to save your time and not incur the loss of income while you're suing and just move on. It's a life experience, albeit painful, and opens your awareness to what NOT to settle for in your next home.

It sounds like op(and 90% of posters itt) is the "weak and dumb"
Therefore the landlord is "successful"

kek

>HIS illegal transformed garage

and this is how you win BIG. Dude fucked up by renting you illegal goods.

I doubt it's you but it's really heart breaking, a kid a wife looking at a tv, garage door, at night, shit must suck.. why do i feel bad for them?
Is it because of the kid?
or the tidy place made by this women who despite the shitty situation made it a livable place?

In this matter, sure.
Shit hit the fan for the landlord and he has a dude illegally living in a uninhabitable area. He got disposable money every month for it and now he just wants OP to roll over and get the fuck out before he gets into legal troubles for it.
I see a chance to cash out on this, other guys roll over and move on.

>projecting this hard

OP i hope you didn't leave

>People fucking made millions for spilling hot coffee on themselves in USA.

That old lady got third degree burns

It was legit too hot

OP if he gave you a 30 day notice, and you've lived there for 4 years, i assume it's a legal place and he has the upper hand.

Did you have running water? Did you have a separate meter (if you were charged for utilities). There are specific things that make it a legal, habitable rental. I don't care what the HOA says.
You say it had a separate entrance and a window. Did it have plumbing? Toilet? Kitchen?
Here's a list:
California Civil Code section 1941 states that when a landlord rents property to a tenant as a place to live, the property must be in a "habitable" condition. ("Habitable" means fit to live in; "uninhabitable" means not fit to live in.) Section 1941 also states that the landlord must repair problems that make the property uninhabitable – except for problems caused by the tenant or the tenant's guests, children or pets. In order for the property to be habitable, it must have all of the following:

a) Effective waterproofing and weather protection of roof and exterior walls, including unbroken windows and doors.
b) Plumbing facilities in good working order, including hot and cold running water, connected to a sewage disposal system.
c) Gas facilities in good working order.
d) Heating facilities in good working order.
e) An electrical system, including lighting, wiring and equipment, in good working order.
f) Clean and sanitary buildings, grounds and appurtenances (for example, a garden or a detached garage) which are free from debris, filth, rubbish, garbage, rodents and vermin.
g) Adequate trash receptacles in good repair.
h) Floors, stairways and railings in good repair.
In addition, the rented property must have all of the following:
i) A working toilet, wash basin, and bathtub or shower. The toilet and bathtub/shower must be in a room that is ventilated, and that allows for privacy.

And more.

its legit this;
>op's boss offers him a cheap af room
>op's boss figures out that op is a raging faggot and doesn't want him in his house any more and gives him 30 days to gtfo
>op nods and agrees to leave in 30 days
>op comes to Sup Forums and taps autistically at his keyboard about what a cunt his boss is
>op's boss is upstairs fucking op's mom

If it's really your boss you're in deep shit my friend, you can't take him to court, even if you win you'd fuck your future if the guy is connected enough.

The case you refer to was far worst than you so casually say, it caused her third and fourth degree burns, literally charred her thighs.

>OP

Landlord cut my gas and electricity.

I called the cops, and they forced him to put all my shit back.

I know I'm going to win this Shit show.

Seriously?
DId this happen NOW?

nah, this is when I first moved in.

Don't pay shit OP.

Since it's illegal you can liver there for free up to a year.

It most certainly does.
Our last apt. My girl and i were bangin on the bathroom floor (wasn't me) and put a hole in the wall. There was so much fucking mold inside the bathroom wall, we got them to rebuild our apartment, pay for our relocation meanwhile, and we didnt have to pay until we moved back in. Shit was cash. Saved about 3k.

>pretty much this