Was it real?

Watched it for the first time yesterday. Did Frank Dux lie? There seemed to be a lot of confusion about wether that whole Kumite stuff and his achievements were real.

Also, there were a lot of movies made about real life people around the 90s (goodfellas, donnie brasco, catch me if you can). Why (if it did) has this stopped?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt4327752/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I believe he probably lied about most of it.

Still made for a great movie though.

Yeah, I enjoyed it very much. I actually wouldn't mind a reboot with better acting.

complete and utter bullshit. I remember Joe Rogan and Bas Rutten once talking about it on the JRE and making fun of the guy.

They are remaking it. With an all woman cast. It's called Lady Bloodsport.

I'm not fucking shitting you.

> imdb.com/title/tt4327752/

Fuck me you weren't kidding

Brick no hit back!

No way should this be remade. There is nobody out there who can replace Chong Li.

catch me if you can is from 2002

I was triggered for a second until I saw the qt

and bloodsport is from 88. That's why I said 'around' the 90s

naaaa...this seems different. If it were a remake they would call it bloodsport.

what about somebody like him?

I would actually totally dig a bloodsport esque movie with a bunch of chinese kung fu cuties. This movie however seems pretty shitty.

Not even close...Chong Li was the ultimate bad guy in any move back in the 80's/90's.

kowloon walled city is gone, no point in a remake without it

Kickboxer is better.

>retard makes a bad joke

how gay would you say you are

>Kickboxer is better.
stop Tong Posting

Where is this proof that the great Frank Dux, like put up your DUKES, lied?

that guy is just the first that came to my mind. I actually bought the angry wild manlet before he and the rock became friends.

So that's why it has been spammed on tv recently.

iirc some trophy he supposedly one was actually bought by him at some pawn shop or something. He says the receipt was fabricated. Also there was hardly any evidence that supported the claims he made.

daily reminder that bolo should have won.

Everything I've ever known to be true is a lie
Hello darkness
My old friend

If someone like Frank Dux made his claims today, he'd be ridiculed and outed immediately. He made his claims before the advent of the internet, when it was tough to verify claims people made. Why do you think there's hardly any sightings of things like Bigfoot, Yeti, Mothman, New Jersey Devil, etc these days? They exist, but its harder to get away with bullshit these days and people are less superstitious now so its not as widely believed. Frank was many in a series of people who made up martial arts bullshit stories about themselves for fame and fortune. Between about 1950 and 1990, this was quite common.

The accuracy of many of Dux's personal claims has been disputed, including his martial arts background, fighting in the "Kumite", and prior military service. According to the Los Angeles Times, the organization that allegedly staged the Kumite had the same address as Dux's house, and the trophy he claims to have won was bought by him at a local trophy store.[3] This was disputed by Dux, who claimed that the receipt was fabricated. He also claims that his critics are part of a conspiracy to discredit him, led by ninjutsu master Stephen K. Hayes, whom Dux claims views him as a threat.[4][5]

Here are some of his records from the tournament (lol):

From 1975 to 1980 Frank W. Dux fought 329 matches.
He retired undefeated as the World Heavy Weight
Full Contact Kumite Champion.

Mr. Dux still holds four world records:

Fastest Knockout - 3.2 seconds
Fastest Punch with a Knockout - .12 seconds
Fastest Kick with a Knockout - 72 mph
Most Consecutive Knockouts in a Single Tournament - 56

56 consecutive knockouts in a tournament! This means that there were 2^56 participants in the tournament, or 700,000,000,000,000,000 participants involved. More people involved than there are people on planet earth; and yet it is so super secret that nobody has ever heard of it and nobody knows where it is..

lol, never thought about that consecutive knockouts record. technically the tournament could have had a weird format with less participants, right?

Round Robin or Double Elimination, maybe, but this pulled thread is starting to sound like Undone, The Sweater song

I mean you can make all sorts of excuses for what he meant.
There's just no way that any of his claims are at all true. Think about if some random martial artist today made the claims he did; would you believe them? Of course not! People like him came around all the time before the age of the internet and the age of instant fact checking. I think people still have an attachment to him and his bogus stories because they grew up with it and because its been told for so long. But it's honestly commensurate with any other fairytale you've ever heard.

Well, bloody, no holds barred martial art tournaments did happen at that time. Just not in suburban America with "ninjutsu" masters holding ancient kumites, but in sketchy, barely legal Brazilian and Japanese Vale Tudo tournaments. Helio Gracie was like a legit version of Frank Dux.

Bloodsport?

Indeed