Gamer Thread

Gamer Thread.
What does World of Warcraft lack to be a great game again, as in its old days?

Older was harder :/

this. Now everything may be accomplished by farming only. No skill required, you can kill last boss on lfr sheep mode.

I play on retail, mostky for my guild, but i level casually on Elysium and have much more fun.

A dev team that isn't brain dead

It needs the casual gamer back. They were the Questers and not the raiders and PvP players. They also comprised of most of the over 20 + million that played. Sure they were annoying at times.
But when WOW stupidly gave them all the middle finger. (Right around the dawn of Cataclysm) the downfall began.

Yup, I mostly play nowadays because social raiding guild but that's mostly it.

Also this as well.

Literally this. The direction of this game is lost to the "new generation" of blizzard devs. I have no idea what they are doing in the offices these days to be honest with anyone.

They are bringing the titans into the game. That's pretty insane to me

Idk. I hate looking for raid and the art design for the blue gear

to listen to their player base and stop trying to copy every other mmo out there

>no meaningful PVP and camaraderie / rivalries.

Cross server PVP is shit compared to what we had in vanilla. And fuck arenas.

We need low level zones that people can't use flying mounts in.
Maybe you can join a server/phase where high levels cant fly if you want to play and encourage low level pvp/choke points

New WoW is basicaly a fucking facebook game.

Everyone who was playing hardcore in vanilla and tbc has basicaly the same attitude towards the change.
It got casual real quick.

Not that wow was ever hardcore in itself but you see.
You spend many many hours with your character and with other people ingame. You actually got to know other people because you were spending so much time together. There was nothing else.

On top of that nobody really knew what he was doing so it was a real adventure in an actual fucking World.
Everyone on max level knew almost every other max character.

Oh man. We will never get that back.
Even vanilla private servers are very different from what vanilla or tbc actually was.
If you were not there then there is no way you will ever get this again.
This is in my eyes something that gives real character and a real value to this game.

There were quite alot of people who met up and are still real life friends to this day because of vanilla wow.

>It needs the casual gamer back.
They have bent over backwards to cater to casuals. Up to and including outdoor world bosses that you can run by and sneeze at and get legendary's off of.

A dev team that gives a shit

Rotations that aren't meant for 5 year olds

Less bullshit RNG

This

Lfr shouldn't exist, if you can't manage to down easy mode raid bosses aka normal mode in dungeon gear you shouldn't be raiding.

Class specific buffs need to come back, being able to roll up in any class whatsoever and have all buffs debuffs covered is bullshit and makes it irrelevant.

There also wasn't a guide for everything in game. Boss strategies were not shared outside of your guild.
This alone made working for Bosses/Gear that much more difficult.
Now by the time the next raid tier has been released, all relevant information about the fights is out there, no work, no thought, just follow the strats done by someone else.
Content is gobbled up at a record pace now...

Wonder why...

this nails why I canceled my account 8 years ago. the mystery of not knowing what you were doing was so much fun. making friends who were stumbling through was a good time. at this point I have done a few of the free trials and not even played the whole duration of the trial. it feels like I'm in my own home and someone else moved in. I don't know anyone or why anything looks how it looks. at the same time it feels familiar. it makes me uncomfortable.

>I have no idea what they are doing in the offices these days to be honest with anyone.

circle jerk and trying to translate that to gameplay

casual groups and lfr was shit, made it shit, casuals made it shit... fuck 13 year olds

People love to claim that WoW got casual but it isn't actually to do with the difficulty of the content itself getting easier but instead the users experience.

The system of dungeoning,raiding, navigating, professions & questing has ALL changed over the course of time to become "effortless" Blizzard has deemed that the past systems were burdensome or too difficult for the user.

Its these necessary "burdens" that created the community around the game. Players interacted to share information, help others and team up. Everything that forced players to communicate, cooperate and learn.

Go back and read thisI'm not talking about the shit they pass for casual these days.
I'm talking about the original casual gamer those who explored and followed much of the story quests. Those who played during the time of vanilla through Wotlk. Not just for "muh gear "
Back then yes things were hard yes but the Questers battled on win or fail. Many people back then loved all the aspects of WOW. Not just a few like muh raids or muh PvP.
Don't get me wrong. Game challenges should have a fair degree of difficulty. But at some point peoples attitudes changed. And how Blizzard went about it was unforgivable.
The game got casual because the top people at Bliz realized how bad they fucked up, and are trying to save a little face because of it. When you ignore the silent majority complaints in favor of heavy kneckbeard compition, this is what happins.

One thing people arent mentioning is that the lore went straight to shit. It was amazing going from WC3 to wow. Then they decided pandas would be a good idea.

So what you're saying is it's easier

i played WoW for 11 years and i quit in Legion.. its absolutely garbage now, i dont fucking understand blizzard's mindset and how they managaed to destroy such a great game!
I remember when i was younger i would think about WoW all day long and i couldnt wait to get home from school to play.. Fuck blizzard and fuck legion

I hate how everyone now is special, that only means that no one is special. Everyone carry the Ashbringer, that fucking bullshit, fuck the lore, fuck the imersion.
if you gain something that you did not work for it you will not appreciate.
Everything is over the top, every shittass noob lazy ass fucker can ride a MOTHER FUCKING DRAGON, a fucking flaming ass demon dog from hell or someshitty. Back then a dragon was a fucking epic shitty. Things lost perspective you know?
Everything is too much accessible, portals every where, flying everywhere, LFR and shit
I never killed on boss on Naxx on classic, and that was fucking cool dude, somewhere that I was unable to go, and see someone with a t3 piece of armor was the coolest thing ever, now I don't give a fuck about wow, with 3 days of play (with the boost to lvl 100) I can kill kil'jaeden...
And the leveling sistem is broken, a 110 lvl is just stupid. And have to spend 1h in everyzone is stupid and ridiculous. People won't give a shitt about the lore of the place, they just want to get their 5 levels to go to the next zone because there is 110 levels to go, and that if you leave the starting area of the game, because with the DF you can rush 15 to 99 without leaving the ogrimmar/sw.
> you don't appreciate what you did not work for
>Everyone is a special snowflake
>Everything is too much accessible

FUCJKING PANDAS

Meh lore was a good additive, but very few people were actually playing WOW for the lore
It was much more the community

Community is shit now
Leveling system is shit now
You can seriously get to a relatively high level with good ass gear in a week now
They give you a max level character for inviting a friend
It just became utter bullshit and the people that took it seriously saw that and felt fucked over
There was a lot of shit on top of this that deteriorated the experience
But as soon as they were giving level 20's mounts and straight up giving you linear quest lines to the upper levels was when it was too far gone to save

This is very much a part of what I'm talking about when I mention the original casual gamer.

ya it's pretty much this. the vanilla version had none of the "quality of life" things like group finder, etc. there was no guides or quest markers. the world was essentially unknown to everyone who wasn't in a very active and methodical guild which compiled that sort of information. i would say the game hit its stride around the time wowhead and the one before it (cant exactly remember it) was around that was kind of a good middleground between no one knowing anything and everyone being hand held through everything.

but going back to the original point, the original game was so unknown and seemed huge so you had to talk to people constantly and spam chats and build up a group of familiar players to get anything done. organizing a 40 man raid to molten core, etc. was a HUGE chore and required a lot of coordination. anyways none of that will ever happen again because the infrastructure of the game has changed to make it unnecessary. it was also the fact that at that time it was such a "new" experience (even though I know MMOs existed beforehand) for most people that the novelty alone is something that can't be recreated either.

all in all vanilla wow was definitely a huge milestone in gaming history and important. shame no one has been able to recreate that kind of "feeling" that it had around it again

The lore is not for the casual gamer though lol

The lore is for the really dedicated people that actually love the story (very small percentage)

It was both community and lore.
Way more people than you realize played for lore.

Bull shit ! The casuals played the game every chance they got as well they Quested and got better as well. And totally loved the lore.
The story was wht it was all about.
People like you who try to make it something only you own, is exactly why Bliz fucked up the game.

0/9 mithyc prog?

Thottbot was my goddamn jam back in the day

Casual gamer here. Barely knew warcraft before WoW, came into it via textbased MUD's over telnet. I loved vanilla wow for the continent, and the way I discovered the lore by being a nobody running around the world, questing.

Thank you. Thought I was the only one there for a sec.

>normies discussing vidya
>WoW thread in 2017
This isn't even material it's pure

Current WoW lacks
>a reasonable level cap
>an emphasis on communication and teamwork
>an emphasis on us and them rivalry (factions, races)
>an emphasis on exploration and adventure, getting better as you learn and learning from mistakes
It all went tits up the moment they introduced an increased level cap and flying mounts. WoW should have stayed with a level cap of 60, and new expansions provide:
>New areas for levelling alts
>New races
>New dungeons and raids
>New endgame armour
>New mounts

That's all the game should have added. Imagine having Molten Core, Black Temple, Ulduar, ICC, etc all as hard now as they were during their expansion pack. Just imagine all the content available to players when they hit level 60. All the cosmetic gear that becomes possible to raid for. And there would be an actual incentive for new players to join; everyone can start out just like everyone else, working their way up to level cap through blind questing and killing, and then learning from the guys who've done it before without having to grind for item level 900 gear and shit.

What WoW needs is to be overhauled with a fixed level cap, no item level bullshit, and all the expansion zones to be scaled down to lower level zone alternatives. Players get to choose where they want to spend their time levelling. I.E: say Outland is now a 50-60 zone, players can go there instead of Burning Steppes or Western Plaguelands or whatever

I pre-purchased legion and then canceled my suscription when the xpac came out.

I think MMOs in general are past their time.

>still wanna try legion, if some kind user wants to give a prepaid or gametime I'll take it.

It will happen again eventually. Mabie on a different platform, mabie with higher computational technology. It will happen eventually.
I just hope those who create and distribute it, will actually learn from the mistakes Blizard made and work hard to avoid them.

I stopped playing after Wotlk, played since Burning Crusade. Don't know how to describe it but back then it had this magical feel to it.

That's when a whole shitload of players did.
Cata is the time Bliz started listening to the crybabies and fucked over the majority of money payers.