Hey Sup Forums

Hey Sup Forums
I'd love to move to the US and hopefully earn citizenship.
Currently live in France, I'm 18, almost finished highschool and have about 80000 dollars on my bank account.
What are my best options ?

wtf how do you have so much money

study in usa and then get a job after
or marriage
or study for 3 years in france, get a bachelors and then move (suggested route)

otherwise impossible

Father died, life insurance

Are you white? This is important for my advice

Why do you want to move to this place? Yes, everything is great, materially speaking, but the people are loud and obnoxious assholes.

You'd be better off in Canada.

wtf are you doing on Sup Forums GET OUT NORMIE

Sorry Hans, meant for

your best bet probably is to get into an american university and then get a job while still in university. They have these special visas for foreigners but you probably need a good education to get one of these.

I like the first option better. I'd like to do something related to film industry though... So idk

I'm white
I prefer the USA

> I'm 18 and have about 80000 dollars on my bank account.
???

Phew. Alright. Well if you can get into and pay for american uni, might as well. Depends what you are wanting to do, but most nonspecialized fields do not need American degrees. So get a degree either here or at home, then get a work or education visa and work on becoming naturalized while here. Dont get married if you can avoid it

but problem is
USA study is stupid expensive, and then out of state( study for foreigners) is just unrealistic
be wise. Save your money. I think the best option is enroll in university in france where its cheap, and then do a student exchange (where your university pays for it) in USA for a year or so. Then after 2 more years back in france you have a qualifcation and can look into getting a job in usa or scolarships.

College. CS. Seriously. Tuition is about 7K-10K a year for in-state students not sure about the foreigners.

Isn't 80k enough to study in most unis ?

Either way, I could always flip a burger or something to earn some money

of course, a lot of college students work part time

that's so much money. really fucking stupid to blow that on 3 years of school. I know you're young and anxious but seriously. When you are like 23 or so you realise how much you need that money, could buy a house and rent. Also film is a really dodgy subject, your first jobs could be very low pay. be responsible.

It's probably enough for lower end schools. Remember Out of State education is much more than how much americans pay for uni

Not for the out of state tuition you'd be paying. Stay in Paris for college and one year do a study abroad program.

My public university, only a top 10 one IF you dont include private institutions, costs me 40k a year as an instate student. Working part time minimum wage earned me several grand a year, ie not even close

>40k a year
>instate
>public
what

This. Listen to the wise Russian.

School is a fucking scam nowadays. There are many well paying jobs out there that don't require some expensive degree. Fuck university, just do a cheap trades course at a community college.

Alright, so what would you suggest, moving there and start working immediately?

for financial reasons it may be better to stay in france, but from the integration perspective it is a lot better to go to school here while you are young. you'll end up speaking better english and your stomach will adjust to fast food much quicker and you wouldn't miss muh clothes lines etc

Kek
Money shouldn't be an issue, at least for a while...
Getting visas on the other hand...

>80,000
>18

go travel around the world for a year or something like that. you're in a very perfect, rare situation where you have minimal responsibilities and a lot of money

Don't go for the college meme unless you are going to study for a STEM major. If not, your best choice would be to take up a trade working as either a plumber,electrician, HVAC, carpenter, etc...you will have to apprentice for a year or two

OP are you cute? you can marry me :^)

theres no way you can do that. You have no qualifcations or anything to offer them. They don't really hire no skilled people from overseas.

Seriously. 3 years is not long. You're young as fuck. Do 2 years of study in France which is cheap as fuck. Do the last year as in exchange in USA, and get a job straight out of uni. Best and most efficient route. Arrive to the USA with 80k in your hands which can buy you a car and rent a nice apartment which will be useful for future work. Don't throw away that money please. you are not thinking straight

Taking the bait

I think I am.

travel for year and 80K is gone

Study in America, ignore when your student visa expires.

Millions of poos do this yearly; ZOG don't care.

Just listen to this

I work in the film industry as a gaffer m8, if you wanna come out and work in the industry ya gotta be ready to work long fucking hours

Move to Raleigh, please. We are nice people. We will give you an apartment for bargain price.

Even better, get a tourist visa, claim to be a refugee when you get here.

ZOG don't give a shit.

Listen to the euros/Russians and be like them.
Or come here and become American. Your choice. 80K is not that much money 2bh. You will have enough savings if you get a good degree and get a good job. But has to be STEM.

I don't mind long hours as long as I do something I like
And eventually get busted and kicked out permanently? Nty

even if you get a job here, you pretty much have to go into a lottery to get your H2B visa. it's literally random who gets the visa in the pot, but the higher your education (masters and higher) the higher your chances. you have to find a company willing to pay to fill out the forms and do the process. and if you fail to get it, you have to leave the country.

one of my friend's company sent in the form passed the deadline so all of the foreign workers waiting to get approved had to leave their job and moved back to their home country kek

>I don't mind long hours as long as I do something I like

Fair enough, but heres the thing frenchbro if you actually do end up working in the film industry you're most likely going to start by working on non-union projects which basically means the people running the project can treat you and pay you shit, but once you work on a few of those types of projects you can move up and eventually join a union. Also make sure you're /fit/ it makes the job much easier

Can't schools do that too ?

>seduce an american skank on eurotrip with your french charm and wit
>after winning her over tell her you have 80 grand
>get greencarded
>divorce: optional
literally your best option

Thanks for the advice.
I'm curious as to how you got into the film industry though. Went through college ?

Uni lad, though honestly I suggest getting an education in France and immigrating as a high skill immigrant.

It is a lot easier to find an H1B sponsor when you are already here rather than applying from abroad.

Kek
Forgot this part
> Get divorced too soon
> Gov realizes it was a white marriage
> Get fisted and sent back to France

also she gets half your shit.

No, school won't do that for you. Once you gradute, it will be your responsibility to convert your student visa to H1B
Also pay attention to what trump is doing now. I am not sure about the details but he is not going to make it easier for you.

That'd be over 100k CAD, education is much cheaper here and you also have much greater chances of becoming a PR in Canada

I might be wrong but I think the French pay Canadian resident tuition in Quebec.
but you can do as Poos do in the states if you'd prefer tho

That's fine, I have nothing in the US yet

money also.

Yeah well, I heard they could get you students visas or something

>went through college

I did not, however, I did have the benefit of being in Los Angeles. In LA whether online or everywhere in IRL there is always someone shooting a project even if it's a very low-buget student film from USC you should take any and every opportunity to network. However, prior to actually moving to LA I was working as an electrician making good pay, but it just wasn't making me happy, so I decided to look around for jobs in LA and found one. Mind you this happened about 5 years ago. However, where you start in the industry all depends on what you want to do, so frenchbro what job do you aspire to have in the industry?

if you go to school here, then yes they will. but after you graduate, you have one year to stay here and in order to stay here the extra year you have to fill out some form and pay the fee. the school would help you with this. so it's pretty much a one year extension of your student visa.

but after that year, you need to first find an employer that is willing to go through the process and pay for your work visa and hope that you win the lottery for the visa. the higher your education (masters and up) the better your chances. there's a quota on how much they hand out so you are pretty much vying with many with professional degrees and phds

if you want to do it the old fashion way, one of my friend took 5-6 years to get a green card and that's with him traveling back and forth from the uk to america whenever his tourist visa expired. but, he only did so cause his bf lives in america and thats how he got sponsered... so its really long and hard to do it the old fashion way

and if you decide to go the marriage route, you have to prove that its a "real" relationship with proofs and affidavits from friends that its not a sham kek

40K :D

Find a job in which you're absolutely necessary. That's the easiest way.

Actor would be the best I could hope for. But anything really, I wouldn't mind filming or even writing scripts

this is basically what everyones been saying but
>save your money
>apply for visa now, study in France
>hopefully by the time you're done studying your visa will be accepted
>move to US probably LA area or maybe new york if you're really set on film
>use your 80k to buy a car and rent a place and live off of that + your wagecuck income until you get a real job

user the thing about Los Angeles is, everyone wants to be an actor. It's a stereotype here that is tried and true. If you one day end up living here, try to get jobs as a PA (Production Assistant). A PA is basically someone on set who does whatever is necessary to make sure the shoot goes well. Whether it be getting the director a coffee, or helping the crew out with some equipment/ driving the crew to location. It's a fine entry level position with lots of room to move up. Lots of people in the film industry work their way up from low-level spots all the way to the top so don't let those jobs discourage you.

80K seems a lot in EU, but not in America, at least for 4 years (yes, that's FOUR, not 3, like in Europe, frenchie)

also, it might be enough for rent+bills+food in america. in most places in the US rent is at least 1k per month.
I don't know if you can work if you only get a student visa.

If you want to study in an english speaking country, go to England. It's closer, and the unis are 9k a year. The UK is also a good place for film, if only as a springboard to the US.

Better yet go to Ireland, you won't have to deal with post-Brexit visas and bs, and Trinity, the best uni in Dublin is only 3k a year.

80k seems like a lot of money, but if you're in the wrong headspace, you can splurge all of really quickly

best of luck m8

I realize that. Being a production assistant would not bother me that much at first. But how do you get past this shitty job ?

so in those circles
is it realistic to get promoted without engaging in anal sex with the crew?

I will answer both your questions. For the french user, the only way to move up is to have others notice you, do a good job, and do better than all the other PA's working on the set. The better you do the more you'll get hired thus putting you in contact with far more people who can get you a job in other crew spots. Its always been about who you know in the industry. As for the other American user, no it is not actually like that at all regarding the crew. However, if you wanna be an actor or actress the stories of sucking people off/ letting other people fuck you for a job are real and it happens every day, its just usually going to happen with aspiring actors.

Alright, but that doesn't help me getting a visa...

pretty sure you cant actually get kicked out permanently for evading a visa, Im pretty sure theres a certain amount of time you can overstay without any repercussions

I mean, don't get me wrong I appreciate your advices.
I don't think any director would bother helping a PA getting a visa

Underrated digits and underrated post. Travelling is probably the best option, give op some time to think things through and experience the world

No way he could travel the world for 10k easily if he did it properly

Haha it's okay user I get your visa dilemma, but as the other anons in this thread have already pointed, out either come here with a tourist visa then stay after expiration or just wait. You could also apply to one of the many art schools in the LA area and practice film there, and they would be able to help you get a student visa, this is considering you have a decent portfolio

That sounds like a interesting option..
How expensive are they though ?
As for the portfolio, I don't have any yet.
Excuse my ignorance about american schooling system but if I apply for let's say the most acting oriented courses, what kind of portfolio are they looking for ?

It's difficult even as a Canadian to get there (trying now as an engineer), but it certainly is doable.

Things will probably get easier when trump stops the indians clogging the H1B queue though.

Alright yeah so one of my younger brothers is also pursuing film and went this route. Heres what you need to know about the portfolio. Basically since you would be pursuing classes which offer the most acting oriented courses, it would make sense for your portfolio to have projects which you have acted in such as short/independent films. As for expense, the average for school is something like 32,000 per year, however, there are scholarships available for international students at pretty much every school.

it's going to be expensive for you. if you have good grades, UCs would be 60,000 a year with tuition, board and cost of living for international students. UCLA and UC Irvine are the ones in or close to LA and the average GPA to get in is pretty much 4.0 and higher.

a tier below the UCs, is Cal State system which is easier to get in and which would run you around 20,000 a year. and if you go the private school route it would be around 65-70,000. most art schools are private but you can try to get into a regular uni base on grades and major in art/drama. this means your grades matter more, rather than art schools where your portfolio matters.

need base financial aid are only available to US residents, but you can apply to merit base scholarships. these scholarships are super duper hard to get. think of the amount of people getting into these schools with super stellar grades all vying for it.

but the caveat is that in order to get the student visa because you are foreign, you need to show that you are able to pay all the tuition+cost of living before they will approve you.

Invest it wisely, finish your undergraduate in France, and then come to the US for graduate studies