Stop this

Stop this.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakbeat
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what the hell is breakbeat?

So everything should be trivialized?

you mean like freeform jazz or classical jazz or which period of classical music? There's several fucking centuries of that, or how about EDM or House or acid house or drum n bass or synthpop or

this is a bait thread isn't it?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakbeat

None of which are posted here.

It's all "classical", "jazz" or "electronic" here.

The opposite, obviously.

k then what's yout favourite afrobeat album op

>freeform jazz
no one who listens to jazz thinks this is a genre, SpongeBobposter

>/metal/
>/shugazi/
>/punk/
>/prog/
>/emoe/
>/nbbmn/

wait just realized you also said classical jazz. you mean Third Stream? you are such a fucking waste

Start an Afrobeat thread first

you're the one that's complaining start it yourself

Whats the point, 2 maybe 3 replies then it'll 404 in a sea of shitposting about the same tired old rock (and 768 sub, subgenres) and memerap (not even music).

Art
Popular
Traditional

There is literally nothing else.

actually everything after classical is extra words for classical or medieval

jazz-classical
rock-classical
electronic classical

>go to /lit/ no threads about Greek Epic Poems or Shakespeare
What's your point, what's my point?

Stop posting this. There are just as many sub genres for electronic jazz and classical. You're just ignorant

This meme needs to die. Tell me how those three distinctions are useful in any way?

they are useful when you want to discuss the differences in how some varieties of music are consumed and preserved.

people here are more familiar with rock and its subgenres. It's that simple.

I think the point of his post was calling out people who are that ignorant

As a means of separating music by it's transmission (score vs oral tradition, etc), they're largely attributed inaccurately, or else rely o sweeping generalisations. As a means of separating music based on it's consumption, they're predicated on elitist and unsubstantiated assumptions. As a means of separating music based on musical and stylistic similarities, they're meaningless. As a means of separating music at all, they're useless since almost all music falls between one or other of the categories, rather than squarely within one).

Your mom's popular

Art music is western classical
Traditional is orally passed down songs
Popular is everything else

Being popular composers != popular music

so classical, jazz, and electronic fags aren't as autistic as rock fags?

>racist doesn't understand that other groups of people have classical music, too
>sorts other people's high art in with their low art because of cultural myopia

Wow, that really is retarded

And more mature, considerate and courteous not spamming the board and kindly keep it in single generals to accommodate meaningful decent discussion.

That's exactly what they mean.

I fucking hate the term "EDM"
It's so disrespectful to electronic music

There are a number of problems with this interpretation. Firstly, you need to define where Western Classical begins and ends: Pre-neumatic music was obviously passed down orally (and would thus be considered Traditional by your measure), similarly, there are plenty of folk music traditions which gradually became incorporated into the Western classical tradition (particularly from Eastern Europe), as well as plenty of non-western composers who ostensibly write Western classical music from transcriptions, recordings, or accounts of various traditional folk musics. On top of that, where to draw the line between where Western classical ends and popular begins. For instance, is Third Stream music considered classical (and thus Art), or Jazz (and thus Popular)?

Secondly, we face the problem of delineating which music is and isn't passed down orally: Modern pop musicians often compose songs without score, and while studio performers often interpret the works through score, I don't think anyone would say that score is that music's primary means of transmission - it's certainly not how it enters into the public consciousness. What about electronic music - There's rarely a score to accompany electronic works (outside of electronic 20th Century classical works, anyway) - Does this mean that most electronic music is actually Traditional music?

Finally, there's the simple problem of the terms themselves. By your metric, any traditional musics with any form of systematised written means of transmission (say, Kunqu music with it's Gong-Che Notation, or ancient Babylonian and Egyptian musics for instance) are classified as 'popular', whereas modern and extremely popular singer-songwriters or electronic music producers are classified as 'traditional'.

Finally, having a generalised system like this has little function for an actual music consumers, and weirdly fetishises Western classical music as hierarchically more fundamental than any other genre.

>Reply
i tend to refer to all rock as "rock" as a way of belittling it and generalizing and patronizing it since like all popular music it is inherently a consumer commodity. i mostly listening to traditional musics and art music.