What made you a man?

What made you a man?

What events/moments in your life impacted you enough to make you manly?
I am 18 years old and I am currently overhearing my parents pissed off about my loser ways but I am trying to fucking change but I don't know what direction to go. I am thinking of joining the Marine Corps as I will for sure grow/man up in an organized and short amount of time.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Jbp52Z9jRg0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

reply with "no homo"

I'm 36.

Nothing has happened yet, but I'm waiting and hopeful.

Another thing is that my family does not want me to join the military, they don't realize how much of a more independent, confident and mature person I would become. They think it's like Black Hawk Down or some shit with non stop explosions and bodyparts flying around and call me a fucking idiot for wanting that, but it's not like that at all from all the combat vets I've talked to.

Checkd. Joining the military for me, was the smartest thing ive done in my life. Made me an organized, disciplined and responsible. Good luck teenbro.

They really tried to call me out at a family get together "you know what this fucking idiot has been saying? He wants to join the Marines" as they go on to explain how only losers resort to the military and that every vet comes back fucked in the head or terribly wounded and that their death was a joke. How should I have handled this situation?

Getting your life straight through the military is no different than getting your life straight by other means.

Join the national guard. Seems more appropriate for a faggot like you.

Getting assfucked by a black trap made me a man.

Marines wont necessarily make you a man. Not every faggot makes it through Parris Island.

I am not by any fucking means a little mouse pussy. I am /fit/ and workout daily and have a fucked up mouth and aggressive temperament. Why in the fuck would the national guard be more suited for a kid who has been kicked out school before, benches 245lbs and bought an AR-15 for his 18th birthday?

I was in the same position you were, OP. I was a loser and didn't do anything in high school. I joined the Marines and went infantry.

I was a loser before the Marines, and I was a loser while in the Marines. The only difference is that I got away from my family and my computer and I realized that there were other things to do in life, like actually talk to people. I grew up a lot, and it wouldn't have happened otherwise.

I'm not saying joining is the right answer, but you get out what you put in.

And I got to shoot stuff with rockets.

if you're not a loser you usually have better prospects than becoming a milfag.
all it means to be a man is to be responsible.
first, to yourself. but usually to others. i.e. becoming a father and actually giving a shit. (i.e. not being a nagger.)

listen to some Jordan Peterson lectures on the JewTube.
and clean your room.

because you came to /b for advice.

real men don't do that.

>Nothing has happened yet, but I'm waiting and hopeful.
Was 29 here
Fell in love with the wrong girl
Got my guts and dick wrenched in permanent virus infection.

Im now more a man then I ever have been.

With a infectious dick

lmfao kys autism

All I fucking said was that I wanted to make up, become more mature and skillful. Did I say I was a physically unfit girly faggot who watches MLP? Besides the 3 mile part for now, I can already max the PFT with 20 deadhang pull ups and 80 crunches.

There wasn't one thing that made me a man. More of a combination of things. But the one moment that changed everything was a friend killed himself and we were a tight knit group and we were all fucking around with drugs nothing crazy. After he rage quit life we splintered and a lot of them started using drugs heavily to cope. Instead of following them I sold everything I own and moved back home. Stayed at my Mothers house for three weeks and moved out on my own I was 23 I'm now 37 and life is good. The group of friends?

2 ODed
2 went to prison for longer than 5 years
1 is a meth head
1 is just a loser still in the same spot where I left him

You sound like you're scrambling to find ways to 'prove' to people that you're man.

>AR-15 for his 18th birthday?
Nice airsoft faggot
I got like 4 of them

What are you trying to prove? If your life is so perfect then why whine in the first place? The amount you bench is irrelevant. The amount of crunches and pull ups are irrelevamt. You're just retarded, and there's your issue.

You should realize they're correct

your parents are fucking cowards lol

Tell you parents they're disappointments to their own parents and that if they don't like who you've become to go complain to the manufacturer.

They ain't perfect. They just pissed at themselves that they didn't make you into whatever their expectations were. That and they probably don't fuck each other any more.

You are just fine man. You do you. Don't fuck up you life trying to make people happy who are probably incapable of happiness to begin with.

tl;dr - kick you dad in the balls then fuck your mom slowly and gently.

US Army infantry veteran here.

I think you have a very warped perception of the military, masculinity, and manhood.

The United States military has some of the most educated and talented psychological operations units on the planet. They've done a very good job of reinforcing this "hero worship" of American soldiers - and even the most anti-war politicians have to bow before the golden calf of our US military in order to get even a basic seat of power. It's wrapped up in ideas of hyper-machismo, selflessness, and constant appeals to masculinity.

I can't tell you what to do, but here's my story:

When I got there, almost everybody I met fell into three types:

>1. Nerdy scrawny types who played tons of video games and wanted to prove themselves
>2. Losers who just wanted to kill another person.
>3. Losers who couldn't cut it anywhere else or couldn't hold down a basic job at McDonalds.
>4. People who joined because they legitimately supported the war and believed in preserving American interests (Very few)

Those of us who were option 4 found out pretty quickly that the war in Iraq was a sham, and we were basically just being trained to kill civilians and break laws. That being said, one of my defining moments in the military for manhood was actually deciding that I wasn't going to deploy. As much as I loved the guys in my unit, I couldn't go overseas and kill innocent people so Haliburton's stock could go up six points.

You're also going to notice that almost none of the guys there are in good shape. Most are either scrawny or overweight. I remember in week 3 of OSUT all these guys flexing in the mirror at how they now had a little muscle tone, but they still looked like shit. Their surprise only reinforced that they've never worked and eaten clean for three months at a time (pretty pathetic).

The other part of the military is that it's so hypermachimo that you always do everything the hard way.

Continued below.....

I guess what made me grow up was moving to a different continent where I had no job and no friends, and basically starting a life from scratch. Don't get me wrong - my parents would have helped if I'd really needed it, but I did everything I could to avoid that. Found a shitty job, found a shitty place to live, worked my ass off to make it work, became a grownup somewhere along the way.

Mind you, I still shitpost on Sup Forums.

>t. pushover coward

so you're gonna leave your parents' house because they think you're a loser just to go to an organization and get screamed at for being a loser.

sounds like a plan homie.

exactly.

as long as he is this concerned with what others think he will never mature.

One aspect of this "being a man" thing is being comfortable with who you are. That and being responsible and accountable for your own actions.

Finish what you start and have some respect.

When my first girlfriend broke up with me, at age 17.

I realized I was taking her, and life, for granted. I had never really thought about the fact that she would one day leave me. Up until then I just assumed that everything would work out in my favor.
It was a real kick in the teeth from life, but the only thing I could do was suck it up and keep going.

What about all the people who join for the eventual college assistance? They can't all be gung-ho morons, surely?

they are in no way correct.

That doesn't mean that joining is the right move for everyone.

>those of use who were option 4 found out pretty quickly the war in iraq was a sham.. we were being trained to kill civilians

I just found the guy who has never been in the military

It's not a single event, it's cumulative happenings over time. Nobody is a Man until 30-40 (95%).
Just do man shit, it all gains you respect from other Men. Know your way around a toolbox, build/buy fast cars or lifted trucks. Get in a couple fights. Go to war in a combat MOS. Bang chicks, drink beer. Get married and have kids, support your own. For me, War, Cars, Hot wife and 2 daughters is what I feel made me a man.

The Marines are welfare whores who are mostly deranged bitches that need structure. If you were great at following orders you wouldn't be in the mess you're in. Don't become a welfare whore dropout.

Realising that in the face of globalism, islamization and general worldwide degeneracy I simply can not continue my NEET ways but have to take responsibility for myself, my family and my race.

It's because you are an idiot. I met some of the greatest people in my life when I joined the military and then I watched them get blown up shot and bleed out right next to me while I was terrified and fighting for my life. Don't join the fucking military unless it is your only choice

Joining the military will not make you a man. It will simply make you a sheep, following orders and doing what you are told. Taking responsibility for everything in your life makes you a man.

>t. faggot who doesnt know shit about the military

When in the fuck did I say I was perfect? The point of the thread was things that make someone a man, mentally and emotionally. I am a jobless fuck with no other hobbies besides working out and playing video games all night when people my age are already men, with jobs, responsibilities, out there who fought for the country and went through all kinds of hell while I sit in my goddamn room doing nothing.

Your parents sound like faglets, why care what they think. Join up, become independent and leave behind your retarted family.

this guy has never been in the military.

This is what actual feminists mean when they talk about patriarchy. Your chromosomes decide if you're a man or not. Everything else is society based.

So why aren't you doing something? Do you at least have a job? If not, are you working on getting one, and if you do are you working on getting ahead?

I swore I did know a few things about it...maybe I should ask if they should still call me "sir" here at the recruitment office.

i'm sitting here browsing Sup Forums while wearing a dress, panties, pantyhose, bra stuffed with D forms, and sandals

Then how come you can't take any kind of criticsm at all? You went badonkles when people responded to you, as if you were in denial but now you outright agree with them. Again, that you workout is irrelevant.
If you are stuck in your room then just force yourself out. Go to a party or something. Anythings. Join the fucking military. Do whatever.

yes. first step is admitting that you are a loser.

No one thing is what makes you who you are - it's just life.
Forget that "Be a Man" shit - that's just a con to get you to do things people want you to do - that aren't necessarily in your interest.

So are you a 1, 2, or 3?

(2/2)

Everything in the military is an appeal to machismo. Just try to find the most perceived masculine way to respond to something, and that's the right answer.

>Guys smelling like crotch rot in the barracks? Showers are for pussy girls.
>Going to the dentist? What are you some kind of faggot?
>I ain't going to sick call, I'm no sick call ranger (gets everyone sick).

I remember I realized how fucking retarded the army was when I was in the DFAC (Dining Facility) and this little Sergeant Major at Fort Bliss Texas (this guy was seriously like 5' 3) was freaking out, jumping up and down and swearing at another Sergeant major who had a chef's hat on in the middle of the DFAC. All the soldiers were just kind of ignoring them and walking around them - getting power-aid out of the machines, getting candy bars and salads. And that's when I realized - these little faggots constantly holding temper tantrums doesn't impress or intimidate anybody. Maybe when you first get there, but after about five months it just becomes annoying because that's how everyone solves everything. You also learn that most of the guys who stay in for life are people who can't cut it anywhere else or need that constant reassurance of the military that they can yell at someone and they're required to do what they say. It's fucking stupid.

Big surprise, almost none of those guys were getting laid (unless they were paying for it). The ones that were married almost always got divorced or simply put up with their wives cheating on them. Moreover, the wives are almost always ugly as fuck and completely insufferable.

So yeah, the idea that the military is going to make you a "man" is stupid. It sounds like your parents honestly just don't take you seriously, but there are other ways to prove them wrong.

>pantyhose and sandals
pls no

>waiting

That's where you fucked up. Go be the man you were meant to be. Time will ravage your body soon.

Natural disaster
> lunchtime walk down street downtown
> thinking bout fight I had with my gf that day while walking through crowds
> suddenly earthquake
> people quiet but noise of shit falling and breaking is loud as fuck
> have had quakes before but this is serious, this is fucking big
> I run into middle of street away from buildings
> see girl run out of shop, she disappears under masonry
> bus full of passengers gets crushed to half its size
> 45 seconds it stops
> people just looking at each other in shock
> alarms going off everywhere, hear people crying injured
> can't help anyone, run home to check family
> every second building is destroyed
> some people perfectly fine, others bleeding or obvious serious injuries
> get home, cool bldg still standing
Next two days no electricity. Can only pay things with cash. Which means some people reliant on others for food. Army move in and clear my street because too many midrises danger of collapse. Have to evacuate and cant legally return for 8 weeks.
Wife loses her shit and literally disappears. Takes flight back to her country leaving my son and i behind. Only find out where she is the next day Live on friends couches, motels with a small kid for the next few weeks. Son is freaked out has no idea what's going on. My job is to keep it together and show him strength and stability.
Every week break into cordon return home to a mess. Our building is flooded. It stinks. Grab clothes, leave huge amount of dry food and water for the cat.

It was a terrible time but it turned me from an idiot who got pissed off about trivial bullshit I to someone who doesn't sweat stupid stuff. I'm impressed how I kept my shit together those weeks. Especially compared to my now ex wife. The experience destroyed her mentally. She's not the same person anymore. I feel I can handle anything. Learned survival skills, first aid, always keep stash of small bills handy, gas tank always full, food and toiletries always at the ready just in case.

youtube.com/watch?v=Jbp52Z9jRg0

1 watch mulan
2 become a man

Picked up a weapon and stood a post.

I became a man when I inserted my penis in a woman's vagina.

but seriously, I became a man when my younger bro, sis and I got kicked out of my dad's house. They both ended up living with me.
I had to work 3 jobs just so my younger sis didn't have to quit school.
she now has a good career and my bro is now married with two kids.

Strange, I've just read a book written by a guy who joined the marines, and he mentioned that one of the things he learned was that when you were sick, you went to the doctor instead of wasting everyone's time pretending you were healthy.

Yeah, I was in the military. It sounds like you faggots were fucking paper-pushers who have never even done a 1 month FTX.

Tell me, explain what happens when you flank over wounded enemies?

Have you ever heard of 4-1 kill squads?

This shit isn't made up. The only excuses you have for not knowing are ignorance or willful ignorance.

>I'm waiting
Waiting for what? Magic?

Shut up faggot, you have obviously never been in the military. A lot of people find comfort in structure. Whereas in civilian life everyone is always trying to take control, military life is cut and dry, this mother fucker is in charge and you listen to him. You clean and learn to be clean if you weren't, you workout and get strong as fuck, you get to shoot amazing weapons, drive amazing vehicles, and meet people who you will be friends with for the rest of your life. These people are not like normal civilians, they are far better friends than a whiny ass civilian who doesn't know what real work is.
So, you who has no fucking clue what you are talking about. Shut the fuck up.

Kid join the marines, become a badass, learn to fight, shoot, get strong and leave your beta ass family behind for a kick ass life full of stories. Semper Fi.

Again, my experience was restricted to US Army infantry. Maybe other MOSes are different.

I know one guy in the national guard who joined for all the benefits. He's an aircraft mechanic, his job is sham, he doesn't even know how to shoot a 249, and he tells me how he looks forward to going to drill.

Totally different experience from me.

dad forced me to work for him as a bouncer

having people treat you like furniture, call you names, spit on you and assault you is a quick way to give you guts i suppose.

or at least a good survival instinct. i'm still terrified of fights but at least i know once it starts i'll know what to do.

as for the real part of being a man, that comes when you first move out. paying your own bills and working a shitty job that you hate but you cant quit because said bills will sort you out.

Kinda a trick question OP.

Lately I've been under the belief that every experience we have has two outcomes. One that makes you bitter and one that makes you better.

My entire life has generally been nothing but failure. But that's okay, because I refuse to give up on my dreams and goals.

I've done things outside of my dreams and goals that helped me become a stronger person, but doesn't necessarily made me more of a man.

I've done a solo backpacking trip through Alaska, learned to fly a plane, learned How to scuba dive, climbed Mount Whitney, started two companies, almost got married to an abusive bitch, pulled a gun on a home intruder and almost killed him, almost killed myself due to failure in said companies and school, and etc and etc. (All of this besides getting married and starting two companies are things I've done this past year)

Do these things make me a man?

Nah, I don't think so. Do these make me a brave and stupid badass? Nah.

But the confidence and experience that came with it helped me find my way of being my own unique person.

I'm still trying to become the best user I can be. I still want to be that kind of individual that people envy through hardwork and determination.

Be kind, respectful, fierce, confident, intelligent, attractive and motivated, and soon you'll discover that you can essentially accomplish anything.

Best of luck with your adventures and life OP. Good luck with the Marines.

(I always wanted to be in the military. It was my dream as a kid to be a Green Beret. But the military wouldn't take me due to my deformed flat feet. So instead, I chose my own path.)

Your family sounds like good people, DON'T JOIN THE MILITARY , if you think that is going to make you a man well your mind might be weak enough that it will work. Being a man is realizing you don't need "to be a man", that's what maturation really is is knowing that you don't need a certain event or a metric to measure your life by. I considered myself "a man" when I got a full ride through college for 36 ACT and graduated while coming here from Poland as a young one and felt grown up afterwards. I realized I wasn't even close to grown up even though I made a good avhievement, even after a PhD I felt accomplished but they were just short little things and silly things I was measuring my life by.

hhaahahahaahahahahahaa

yea, you have never served a day in your life.

Or you washed out in boot.

Having a penis

The military is not for everyone, for me it was probably the best choice I could have made.

If you do go into the military make choices that will benefit your future such as what kind of training you would like to get and where you would like to see your life in 10 - 20 years.

In other words pick training that will easily translate into the civilian world.

Also realize that once you get in, your view of the world will drastically change.

Good luck

Nice, bro.

But what was his job in the marines?

OP asked about infantry and that's what I did, so I can definitely say that was not the case in my unit.

Like anything that's hypermachismo, anything that can be construed as weakness won't be met with sympathy.

Join the FFL
That'll do ya some good

getting anally raped by 3 men when i was 8 years old.

made me a bitch, then very angry,
now im over 30 and am comfy but have a failing body due to ptsd and depression issues.

You don't know shit about the military.

Just for the record, you don't get "Strong as fuck" doing push ups, sit ups, and pull ups. Again, almost all the dudes I met in the military were scrawny or fat, and it's actually a running gag on /fit/ because DYELs think that joining the infantry is going to make them super strong.

Or just join the police force, a life of parking tickets and responding to school shootings awaits you

He mentioned the medical stuff as something he got from boot camp or whatever. Don't get me wrong though - he definitely didn't end up infantry, he was some sort of press guy. Maybe out in the field it all goes to shit for everyone.

Beating a negro with an file (rasp) and then going in jail for 3 years. I bet the negro still can't speak properly.

Joining to military is also make me more grown.

And then big sister died from cancer. I learn to not cry.

>be me
>last year of college
>had kind of a rocky road of relationships the last three years.
>doesn't matter, had sex
>girl i was with for the last 18 months is fucking psychotic as shit, but sooooooo good in bed.
>she was such a fucking tease, while being such a filthy slut in bed.
>eventually she came home one weekend, and I knew she spent the night at some other dude's house, and I told her we were done
>she flew off the handle, and i got to see her psychotic bitch fit side. she tried to humiliate me in a number of ways in the next month, trying to "convince" me to get back with her by trying to destroy me.
>eventually meet nice gril
>she is very wholesome and cute
>such a raging erection after last relationship
>I get with her
>we are very happy
>one night, ex gets into my townhouse somehow. she probably copied a key or some crazy psychotic bullshit.
>I was really fucking wasted.
>she tries to seduce me.
my large dangling ballsack grew three sizes that day
>in my drunken state i wanted nothing more than to nut in that thot's ass
>i suddenly get some kind of moment of salience and had some kind of flashback to all the memories with new girl
>tell the thot to gtfo
>she was like, "wtf? are you gay?" from that day on she tried to tell everyone i was gay because i didn't fuck her.
>didn't matter, was very happy with wholesome new girl.
>8 years later
>have family with wholesome new girl.
>very happy
>never regret not fucking that thot one last time.

>Inserts "mobile infantry made me" reddit pun

Well we have found the Antifa faggot amongst us who fucks other guys on the weekend while role-playing in his furry costume only to claim he really isn't gay.

My dad threw me out 2 days after I graduated high school. At the time I hated him for it at the time, but in retrospect, it was the best thing he ever did for me. You need to struggle, be poor, hungry and wonder where you are going to sleep. You need to fail and learn. You need to grab your balls and do it.

>Me: They train you to kill civilians
>You: LOL NO THEY DONT U DIDN'T SERVE
>Me: Cites multiple examples where exactly that happened
>You: BAHAHAHA U DIDN'T SERVE A DAY IN UR LIFE OBVIOUSLY OR WASHED OUT IN BEWTCAMP AOLOALOLOLOL

What do you want me to do, post my DD214?

Secondly, US Army doesn't go to "bootcamp." We go to OSUT.

This is exactly the kind of shit I'm talking about OP. Everything in the military is just flex your way through every problem, there's no room for reason, there isn't discourse, it's just a bunch a bunch of fucking whining douchebags like this guy who just do appeals to machismo.

Like look at how this fucking dumbass is responding to my conversation. Instead of granting counter-examples or giving a reason, he's just going to write off the evidence I have with an explanation - "NUH UH." Get a good look OP, because if you sign up, this fucking faggot is the same archetype that's going to be making decisions with your life.

Just remember, when the marines invaded iwo jima, they lost hundreds of men because some fucking swinging-dick General making over $100,000 a year decided to attack at high tide - so marines were wading in the water and getting chopped to pieces by machine gun fire.

Not a single NCO decided not to go through with it and protect his men.

Not a single or soldier decided to go a different route.

What's worse, not a single advisor challenged the general or knew to do so.

These guys will not listen to reason, and will just try to flex their nuts through every problem, which is why they're good bulletcatchers.

Very glad I got an honorable discharge and am never going back. People like this dude remind me very clearly why the military doesn't make you man.

51 bro?

What is it? I had a google and couldn't find anything much.

I have never been more convinced of someone that has never served in the military.

So you did one tour, if any, and couldn't hang. Now you write long diatribes to try convince yourself you weren't a failure in the Mil.

At least your writing skills are good. Perhaps writing troll post in /pol is what you were meant to do in life.

you're just proving his point you dipshit

>Me: Cites multiple examples where exactly that happened
What post did you do this in? I must have missed it. Maybe you deleted it?

jesus christ you better be a troll. ITX is fucking nothing. shut the entire fuck up.
he’s retarded

Hell ya brother.

I hope your life is filled happiness and enjoyment.

oh no, I am proving the point of someone who is just rehashing crap he read somewhere.

I don't care if I am proving his point.

He is wrong about military service.

How about you start by just getting a job?

he is just some faggot with a hardon for hating the military.

In reality my guess would be that he did serve in some capacity and washed out because he couldn't hack it one way or another.

OP your thread is bad, and you should feel bad

Within a year finding out my grandfather was a pedophile and my best friend killing himself

How did that make you a man?

that is a hard word for a kid. Learning it makes you a man

Again, proving my point.

>I'm proving his point about military service but he's wrong because my experience was different

OP I really hope you're reading these because it should be pretty obvious to you at this point what the military is going to surround you with.

You can't delete posts on Sup Forums, genius. 4-1 kill squads was national news. Bradley Manning was national news.This list goes on, bro.
Lol, "couldn't hang" . . .

The military treats everyone there like fucking babies. You want to stay at work on Fridays until fucking 19:30 so the battalion commander can give you a "safety brief?" You wanna get called in on Saturdays because someone on your unit got a DUI? You want to have to ask your Company Commander for permission to get married or travel 100 miles off post?

That's fine, but those of us who don't need a supervisor for our lives doing way better without it.

I left the military and became software engineer. I make fucking almost 100k a year, I'm not even 30, live in a house on the lake, and right now I'm taking 2 weeks of paid vacation. You want to make it out like having the brains and autonomy to do something better is "not being able to hang?" Fine, but this is the exact kinds of appeals to machismo I'm talking about. The Army and military has some great dudes, but they're usually a minority, and most often the people that are there for long periods of time need the structure of the military because they don't have the discipline to do anything themselves. Moreover, I'm in better shape now than I was in the military, simply because the military doesn't train to be big and strong. They make you do calisthenics endlessly and don't feed you enough. That's why most soldiers are scrawny DYELs.