Ancient Rome vs Ancient Greece

Which civilisation was more based, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YcsYSJwewWk
youtube.com/watch?v=2F-M38uoj1g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The Greeks

Since they were Anglo

The Greeks obviously, but they were systematically destroyed by the Romans.

The Greeks should have lost to the Persians, if Empire was inevitable, then the Persian model would've been the greatest of all.

The Greeks would've flourished withing the Persian system, whereas the Romans practically ethnically cleansed them.

They were both fag civilizations

Fuck the Persians

Rome. They lasted longer, controlled more, were much more influential on modern history and less forgiving to their enemies.

Who do you mean by greeks? Athenians? Spartans? Macedonians?

But seriously, where the ancient Greeks similar to Anglos.

They kind of look like Anglos

The Greeks were fags

AVE CAESAR

Persian Empire would've treated the Greeks like people instead of slaves and antiquities to wear for friends.

greeks, they made the foundations which romans then took

the romans had a massive hard on for greek culture

even their initial religion was just copy and pasting what the greeks had

romans by far, fuck the greek shits

Rome>Greece

I like the Greeks more for the philosophy and art, but that Romans were far superior at military and engineering.

Battle if Thermopylae much? Fuck the Persians. No non-European power should ever rule a European people, and the Romans spread so much of what made Greece great to all of Europe.

>non-European power
You do, you fucking alien.

the greeks make better music

youtube.com/watch?v=YcsYSJwewWk

Romans.

The Greeks were based too though.

'Rome conquered Greece but Greece conquered Rome'
Let's also not forget that the Byzantines existed

Both based in different ways. Greek culture was overall superior and Romans rightfully recognized so spreading it everywhere, Romans were utterly based in terms of military culture.

Thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=2F-M38uoj1g

The Norsemen, obviously.

ARE ANGLOS CLOSER TO GREEKS OR ROMANS

>Romans practically ethnically cleansed them
You mean by glorifying anything Greek, using Greek mythology as their own and having their upper classes speak in Greek? A Greek tutor or slave was something any real Roman would have been extremely proud of - it was that sort of inferiority complex you see in Americans towards the English today. The US is quite obviously a lot stronger than the UK yet a huge chunk of Americans look up to them and think a British accent is the epitome of class.

Cicero says the romans

>Battle of Thermopylae much?
The Greeks lost that battle, though. The Persians won quite comfortably.

The Romans improved upon Greek Culture.

Romans were more militarized, political and nondegenerate while Greeks were more philosophical.

American civilization.

The Greeks prided themselves on defeating the Trojans.

While the Romans destroyed the Greek world, they claimed to be the survivors of the Trojans legitimizing their treatment of the Greeks.

Where do you get your information from? Hollywood movies?

Now I know your shitposting, but that is some weird fringe position you hold about it that I've never heard of before
How did you get this opinion?

the norsemen failed to become little more than skilled seamen pillagers.

See
The Romans wore the Greeks like fashion accessories.

> sing Greek mythology as their own and having their upper classes speak in Greek?
The Romans collected religions, they practiced something similar to Comparative Dialectical Analysis, they did this with Persian and Celtic deities also.

The Romans were similar to the Hittites, the Hittites were known as the people with a 1000 gods.

Aeneid i guess?

Sure thing faggots

Anglos are Trojans

Aeneid

Greeks were gayer

2nd question:
Why did the Greeks idealise the small penis whilst the Romans preferred bigger ones? E.g. The Greek god Priapus was popular in Roman culture

Have you read Cicero's version of being the lost Trojan survivors?

Even Romans weren't superstitious enough to actually believe their origin stories were 100% true.
Our national myth says that we're descended from a demigod, and while it's a good story none of us legitimately believe it.
A huge chunk of Romans revered the Greeks even after they conquered them - there were those who claimed that Rome was better in every way, of course, but you can't deny that Romans imitated the Greeks at every turn, from law to mythology.

I know the Aeneid, I used to bloody translate it in my latin classes
I'm just dazzled at the guy's opinion on Roman-Greek relations

The Romans ethnically cleaned the Greeks? Did you take history courses in a pub?

>from law
nope

Small penis in greek art was not supposed to be taken literally. It symbolizes control over your own body. Romans linked big cock with virility and fertility.

No! Link?

>imitated the Greeks
Some would argue that they imitated the Armenians after Lucullus' campaigning there, in regards to statues et cetera.

And some would say that you're a blithering idiot who talks out of his ass, but who are they to judge?

Assyrians
>First to use Irrigation
>Law
>First written language
>Invented military style armies
>Created the Epic of Gilgamesh which is the pillar on all Greek and Roman belief
>First group of people to convert to Christianity
>Enslaved the Jews

Whatever Goy.

Sorry, no link.

No.

Because it was a fairly common thing for middle-aged Greek men to have sex with like 9-15 year old boys, especially in the cities which made most of those sculptures.

If you idolize that kind of gross side-relationship I guess you aren't wanting some massive dong that's going to shred their anus apart.

cultural penchant towards diddling boys

probably

No the didn't. They assimilated the greeks by giving them roman citizenship into the empire.

See byzantium later.

Let me guess you're not even from ireland ahmed, I've only heard such stupid shit from people in the middle east.

The Greeks stared West
The Romans East

The Greeks were Artistic
The Romans practical

and so the saying goes.

Depends on what you are comparing them on?
Military? Science advancement? Economic systems?

DO YOU EVEN LUCULLUS?

The Greeks knew their gods were vindictive asshats even on the best of days, so they thought it was funny to make all their statues and art depicting them with tiny cocks. Kind of like a backhanded compliment, making intricate masterworks to placate the pantheon, but with an added gotcha that wouldn't get their city earthquaked..

I read that the Greeks viewed big dicks as barbaric , and that the homosexuals in particular liked the small ones with extra foreskin.

What an unflattering way to present your tits.

Assyrians and Babylonians were pretty based, yeah. Most ancient civilisations were glorious when compared to their modern counterparts, actually. But that may simply be because we over-romanticise anything ancient since they're only footnotes in history. A 30-year golden age gets translated into eternal glory by those living today.

In 500 years, people will be talking about Napoleon's French empire as the single greatest nation of our current modern times, even if it did fall fairly quickly.

>See byzantium later.
See what?

i've seen that mural in person lol.

>Roman says Rome is better

Al though to be fair. Rome and Ancient Greece were countries like there are now. So its fair to say that the Romans did have more Union; since Greece was always attacking one another.

Greeks for philosophy, military strategy, drama, and sciences

Romans for political theory, civil engineering, aesthetics, literature, historical archiving, and literature.

Cicero points were correct.

Even Polybius agrees

Rome started becomming great after taking Greece.

Greece was the greatest Center of cultural and techonological advancements in the Roman Empire.

They are very closely bound. Rome without Greece is like the UK without England.

Dumbass

And the Greeks thought that Egypt was.

See that greeks were still alive that time too. They weren't cleansed.

>grain farms
I mean egypt was important for grain, but thats it.

Of course, but Byzantium became Greek, but it was Roman to begin with.

>military strategy
I remember when the Greek empire conquered the many Latin, Roman, and Eutruscan city-states with its superior Manipular legions against hoplites.

Assyrians still exist today but Babylonians died out.

To the Greeks, Egypt was the most sophisticated and technologically superior culture of the ancient world.

Romans were Barbarians.

You aren't a real Greek. I hope you know that you disgusting animals.

The fact you still call it Greece makes me sick to my stomach.

By the time Rome conquered Greece, it already had control over most of the Western Mediterranean coastline. Seems pretty great to me.

Italians and Greeks still exist today as well, but we tend to view Alexander as the greatest general ever and the Roman empire as the greatest empire ever.

Well to be honest Rome was so influenced by Greek culture/architecture that the answer is clear, Romans yearned after Greek culture, viewing as superior to their own.

Who were the original Greeks then? Or more specifically which modern people are closest to them?

>60% white
Calm down Juan.
Everything outside of the Greek zone of influence was barbaric to greeks.

Dont forget they hellenised Egypt.

I thought Temujin/Subutai were the greatest generals, but Alexander was the greatest western general?

how do you explain koine greek being the lingua franca for most of the roman world by the augustan age?

America /s

Greeks, Rome were basically militarised Greeks anyway with Italian influences. When you look at the wider picture Greek influence was huge, it's only Mohammed and his kiddy fucking denizens that fucked it up

Just like ours.

Which demigod? Alot of slavic and baltic states have a similar tale.

why is what you thought a question?

rome was so successful it didn't even need to exist anymore

Gengis Khan is a meme. The guy who made Europe quiver in fear was his grandson Batu Khan.

Only parts of the Empire that already had Greek influence thanks to Alexander. In Carthage, Spain, and Gaul, Latin was the lingua franca.

Kalevipoeg. It's based off of the Finnish origin myth "Kalevala"

>koine greek

this
> When you look at the wider picture Greek influence was huge,

Greek was spoken in Egypt and Mesopotamia before Rome became dominant.

They're all dead.

What's left are these abominations which call themselves Greek.

Their country reflects this. In debt and hasn't done anything in forever. They're a disgusting group of people who might as well not have a single drop of Greek blood in them.

They're filthy fucking Arabs who have just enough Greek in them to barely stay afloat. I hope they all sink.

Quads of Truth

Dubs of Confirmation

The Roman aristocracy spoke Greek. Latin was the language of the peasants.

Ouch