Who /ipod/ here?

I just bought a used ipod online and it sounds so much fucking better than my phone because its from back when they had DAC. What does everyone use for playing music on the go?

Haven't used my ipod classic for 2 years or so since I got a Clip+. Much handier form factor. The ipod was once great because of storage capacity, but with flash storage being so massive and cheap now that advantage is gone.
It's still alive and kicking though. Got it in 2008 and has served me very well. Rockboxed it's still a great device.

ipod+sansa clip

You can actually buy an adapter for SD (or mini sd) cards for the old ipods. It is a little tricky but you basically replace the hard drive with the adapter. It can hold two cards so with two 512gb cards thats at least 1 tb in your ipod. I'm thinking of doing it because the adapter is only 30 bucks.

I'll check out the Clip +. How does it sound? I like big cans so I need something that can drive them.

I bought an iPod classic a few weeks ago, my phone's battery life is shit so I love it.

HTC 10. Best smartphone for audio. Used to have an iPod but you can get microSDs with more storage than an iPod Classic's noisy hard drive, so I don't really see the point of them any more. If you really want to be autistic about it, and you're OK with carrying around two devices anyway, it's probably more convenient to get an external DAC for your phone. Battery's not really an issue since playing audio is not particularly intensive.

The reason people are all over the Clip+ is because it has a very decent DAC. If the iPod can power your headphones, so can the Clip+.

>tfw 80gb ipod fell from my pocket while jogging and died

Phone and streaming is ok but I miss my ipod.

>baby driver is in the cinemas
>now ipod shilling comments
hmm i wonder who is behind this post

I'm really impressed with the battery life of the old ipods. I forgot how dependable they are.

I have the m9. It definitely sounds better than other phones I have but it still sounds worse than the ipod. Did they improve in it with the 10?
Also I read somewhere the HTC m10 removed microSD support. Is that true?

Anyway, after I replace this ipod's hard drive with the adapter I'll be able to store 1 terabyte of music on it.

>he thinks im shilling for a discontinued product

Are you fucking retarded?

Awesome. I'll look into it.

Is there a decent no-nonsense mp3 player on the market as an alternative to the iPod Classic? I ask because my Classic is about 9 years old and I know technology can't last forever. I really don't want to listen to music from my phone

Good luck getting one for a fair price though.

>sees Baby Driver once

The 10 definitely has microSD support. And it has a standalone DAC and amp for headphones, whereas I think the M9 was mostly software-based stuff.

1TB is impressive, but for on-the-go use I'm pretty happy with 256gb and could probably get by even with just the 32gb internal storage.

if its on the fritz you can find parts to replace it pretty easily.

Okay sounds like I should definitely check it out. My phone is falling apart anyway. I still use spotify so it might be worth getting.

FiiO X1, very affordable and miles better than the iPod Classic (I've had 4 of them)

A lot of my music isnt in Flac yet, would it be worth it? I listen to music at 320kbps.

Though my headphones would probably benefit.

so is the clip+ the best mp3 player on the market?

no, since it's not on the market anymore

So is the quality difference between using a phone (Galaxy S5 in my case) and an iPod/Fiio actually distinguishable and worth it?
I can definitely tell that the music from my laptop sounds much better on my earphones than on the phone, so I guess it is possible, but also for other mobile devices?

Different guy than the one you're responding to but I've got an x1 and I've got everything from 192kbps bootlegs to FLAC and it works fantastic.

nani?!

it's been discontinued for quite a while iirc

Think of it this way, gamers buy better video cards to have their games perform better. Sound equipment works in a similar fashion. Different technology can result in a better and more satisfying listening experience.

I haven't heard your phone but I noticed a HUGE difference between playing music on my phone and playing it on the ipod I bought even though the ipod is from 2005 or 2006. That's because it has a better DAC than most phones today.

So I would say its a high chance its distinguishable. For me the difference wasn't subtle, it was dramatically improved and I noticed it right away.

You can find it on Amazon still, I believe.

I've been thinking about taking my Zune out of storage for bike riding. It's way smaller and lighter weight than my phone, has greater capacity for music, and I'm not calling people when I'm out riding anyways. The only downside is that I'd have to deal with the Zune software, which I'm not sure even exists anywhere anymore

That's up to you. Maybe you should try it out, although I would recommend looking into an external DAC for your phone first