/daily/ - weaboo album cover edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/rocketship/a_certain_smile__a_certain_sadness/
youtube.com/watch?v=bJeiBwTzTrM
rateyourmusic.com/list/herb_guy/backlugz/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/aaron_dilloway/modern_jester_f2/
youtube.com/watch?v=rcV7fWzOLLQ
rateyourmusic.com/release/single/damon/song_of_a_gypsy___oh_what_a_good_boy_am_i/
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/loma_prieta_raein/loma_prieta___raein/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

maybe if i post first jangle & bojangle will notice he has to give me an album for the tourney

no restrictions, no backlog baby

just came back to an album, dropped it from a 4.5/5 to a 3/5

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/rocketship/a_certain_smile__a_certain_sadness/

do not know why i rated it so high to begin with

Is this allowed?

is what allowed

no, it's literally impossible. and illegal.

making a /daily/ thread
it's not, btw. delete /daily/ ban /daily/ posters

Anime This Heat cover

Hello /daily/, I remember posting in a couple of these threads a long time ago (around the end of 2015 probably), but I never really got into the spirit of it, so I'm here to try again.

Is it recommended to use a trip/name for these threads?

pic is my current plan for listening.

*listens to Benji*
Fuck

>forgets meme arrows
FFuucckk

Good-evening /daily/, how are you all? Tried the following after getting caught up in new releases;

>Broken Social Scene - Hug of Thunder. Far more explosive in nature than their previous material though suffers perhaps as a side effect of that, certainly feels somewhat more formulaic in approach given the near continuous verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge etc. used on a lot of the tracks, still the production is at its best here and tracks like Protest Song and the opening to Mouth Guards of the Apocalypse bring more relaxed moments to a generally pulsating baroque pop album, honourable mention to Vanity Pail Kids, love that song.
>King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Murder Of The Universe. Really enjoyed the prog-styled guitar riffs on this album, don't get the hate for the spoken word which aside from the robot voice I quite enjoyed, gave it an LOTR sorta narration which added to the claustrophobic atmosphere. Disc two was certainly the best of the discs by far and The Lord of Lightning the best song, the series of Altered Beast tracks were also great in there own right though the last disc held it back in my view, can't help but love the Australian accent on this.
>Vince Staples - Summertime '06. Really enjoyed disc 2, certainly preferred the album as a whole compared to Big Fish Theory, especially the more dissonant tracks such as 3230 and Like It Is, certainly have more respect for him now, wasn't particularly fond of disc 1 however and Senorita was pretty miss for me.

Really having a hard time debating which Kyuss album is my favourite, its not often I enjoy a stoner rock band. Going to try Rated R & Songs for the Deaf later today, that'll be interesting. Oh and Lick Doo sucks. Yes this was reposed since the other thread died immediately.

What happens on Benji? Seen it on the Sup Forumscore chart for a long time, is it similar to RHP's material?

You can though most will recognize you over time anyhow.

>loveliescrushing
>stars of the lid
>fishmen

nice

stop using greentext like this

Benji is basically a series of memorial services for his friends and family

It may be an inappropriate way of using it though its more pleasant to look at than a mean wall of black text.

Christ, didn't know it was that sad, it'll be a long time before I listen to it though certainly looking forward to the trip.

>its more pleasant to look at
imo no
>black text
why use anything other than Tomorrow

p mediocre

Music for this meal?

Good advice. My eyes burn every time

youtube.com/watch?v=bJeiBwTzTrM

>do not know why i rated it so high to begin with
because it is that g o o d m8 what you talking about

c-come back

im here

>Tomorrow
why though
genuinely curious

Didn't even notice the different styles, that really hurt to look at.

so it doesn't feel like i have to strain my eyes at night

>turn on tomorrow
>za warudo!
geez

>jojo
meme

>not caring about eye strain
i bet you don't even use f.lux

Mother of God, just downloaded it and the screen looks like its on fire, holy shit.

I was gonna laugh at you guys because I don't feel eye strain, but my vision keeps getting worse so I guess I'm feeling it in the end.

im doing a tourney where you guys choose your picks from my backlog
scroll all the way down because there's quite a bit of stuff thanks
rateyourmusic.com/list/herb_guy/backlugz/

hit me up with that Bluetile Lounge
also it seems like City of Syrup is on there twice just so you know

o shit that's true

Bite the bullet and listen to Lulu, its monotonous and very bloated though it honestly isn't as bad a people say, even if Reed's vocals are laughable at best.

>tfw have to use glasses now to browse this peruvian boat selling forum

dibs on vision creation newsun

conference of the birds

how cute stealing my tourney idea
lou reed & metallica - lulu

this might be a challenge to win with
don't go in expecting anything close to whatever lou reed or metallica make
hot take: this is better than any of the new era swans records

this guy ninjad you ahah

Plantasia

Bobb Trimble - Iron Curtain Innocence

Strawberry that mf Switchblade for me

fucking newfags

strangers from the universe
herbcore if i've ever seen one

masked dancers

Welcome back friend
>Is it recommended to use a trip/name for these threads?
You can do whatever you want my dude. Name just make it easier for banter.

hey how's the tourney going btw

Strangers ffrom the Universe

dang it trout mask replica then

New Japanese Breakfast was alright. First half is pretty strong and unremarkable dream pop/rock. There's some questionable autotune on Machinist. Till Death, Boyish, and Road Head are great tracks.

New Washed Out is a departure from his older material. The track listing is sorta broken up, and there's some spoken recordings that sounds like they should have been from Tame Impala. It's not as smooth as Paracosm, a bit sharper with House beats. Pretty flat, in all respects.

EDM rare chicken strips

calling on Manyrna Muzyka before letov does

hey is it ok if you can give my tourney spot to someone else

alright borzoi what the fuck is good wya
>bugskull
>without me shilling it
please, stay a while
lemme get uhhhhh
structures from silence

i would like to bet on Terminus

Patty Waters - Sings

terminus is dead bro

>losing to codeine
i think im gonna have to retire from tourneying

Update on the mixtape tournament

noveltycondom made me a cozy mix of static-y old jazz, beach sounds, and the good part from that live coil album. great job!!!

flyingicewizard made me a mix of edgy music including blackhouse, grim, oxbow, and wolf eyes. v fashionable and good, never heard of blackhouse but that 19 minute song was good and didn't feel that long. nice work!!

SDC came through with a g-funk mix, which was very well compiled and introduced me to a genre i'd overlooked. not my favorite thing, but it's really great. plus, it appeals to my Texan sensibilities with the track "Straight Texas Hoodlum". awesome mix!!

jimmy jazz brought in a straight up mix, featuring sade, flotation toy warning, and bardo pond. I don't know what to make of the travis scott song. good job jimmy, I enjoyed it a lot!

s brought in a black metal mix with a bunch of stuff i've never heard of and it was really great. the cover art was possibly the best so far, and gets bonus points for the cassette art format.

S and Flying Ice Wizard advance! stay posted guys, when round 1 is done I will come up with your round 2 restrictions.

post-feelist, I need a tape from you

ok, i'll give it to transsy since he made me a mix even though he wasn't in the tourney. unless you were "tryna", trans?

whats he tryna do

it was excellent but i'm not into g-funk. I now know that, at least! thanks for showing me something new. i'll refer people interested in gfunk to your tape

I need a couple more guys

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/aaron_dilloway/modern_jester_f2/

I understand. It's not really g-funk tho, aside from the Kurupt track. The rest has more of a southern sound.

this is all far too positive, shit on someone please

is sondre lerche in your backlog? or momus? otherwise no

someone named tryna entered the tourney

Einstein on the Beach

no everyone did a good job

true, that outkast song was really odd. I haven't gotten into their old stuff before, I really only know the hits.

yea check trip

lotsa good albums in there

ill go with blueberry boat

ok transy is in

that means
that there
is ONE MORE SPOT for my MIXTAPE TOURNEY!
rules are you need to give me a link to a mixtape with cover art that is roughly 30 minutes long

weak & lame...

...I've been actually meaning to check out momus though so that works, is circus maximum ok or wanna change?

circus maximus is good but I would sooner rec Little Red Songbook or Tender Pervert

i'll throw something together

yes i would love to bet on Terminus

we should do a proper art 1992 listenalong

gotcha
no

I'll go with little red songbook i guesss

good decision

we do this like every 3 months in plug along with banjo gyro what do you mean

itt classic plug pics

just before i upload it, is it alright to have a couple of songs from the same artist

hello fucks

did i ever get an answer from you why 3.5+ > 3.5+

You don't deserve one.

tiebreakers just drag things on

*clears throat* HELLO FUCKS

Hey ppl I'm in Gothenburg and can't post that much rn, what's going on

Any restrictions?

haha gotta show yammer whos boss!

Manir-
fug
Cat Chamber

Boris - Heavy Rocks (Orange)
More Kyuss than Earth. Boris tones down their experimental streak and makes an enjoyable stoner rock album with several featured artists I’ve never heard of.
3.0+

The Avalanches - Wildflower
Did you ever want to hear SILY but with less charm and a featured rapper/singer every other track? They get some good ones on here, but neither Danny Brown or MF DOOM on lead single “Frankie Sinatra” (among other featured artists) seem at home on The Avalanches’ turntablist vintage sample based beats, in fact, Danny Brown sounded better as an Insane Clown Posse feature. Anyway as for the actually music itself, it’s a bit more repetitive than many parts of SILY, and consistently less layered, not very many horses this time around. Use of more well known samples kinda cheapens the atmosphere of the album. On paper, the album should be as good or even better than SILY, but somewhere in the execution when they were choosing samples, features, and putting synth work and production over those things it lost the “magic.”
The Avalanches still cobble together an upbeat plunderphonics record but it comes nowhere near SILY.
2.5+

Giles Corey - s/t
One of the most overtly nihilistic and suicidal albums I’ve ever heard. Dan Barrett returns with a mostly acoustic project much less ambitious than Deathconsciousness. Most songs are played on acoustic guitar with accompaniment from Barrett and co on the harmonizing vocals drenched with reverb. Still featuring very minimal percussion and a healthy amount of droning organ and other instruments too warped to identify clearly. It’s not quite as engaging and varied as Deathconsciousness, but it’s a good album for what it tries to do.
3.5+

Sigur ros - agaetis byrjun
This is a cool album.
3.5+

Popul Vuh - Hosianna Mantra
This is good.

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
This is good too.

high effort and quality tournament here

looks complex

>Pile - Special Snowflakes/Mama's Lipstick

for a single

Absolutely

youtube.com/watch?v=rcV7fWzOLLQ

rateyourmusic.com/release/single/damon/song_of_a_gypsy___oh_what_a_good_boy_am_i/

rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/loma_prieta_raein/loma_prieta___raein/

>Hoahio - Ohayo Hoahio
>Art Pop/Experimental

Unassuming chamber pop with Koto (Yagi Michiyo's work) and other acoustic strings, some synths, and Sachiko M doing her thing in between tracks. Haco's voice is relatively nice, and I was happy to see John Zorn having produced this.

I suppose the main pull is how Haco seems to drift between Sachiko and Michiyo's instruments on a spacious stage. Jellyfish and Happy Mail are the best of the pop, and Sea Wall III is a fluffy breakdown of all 3 musicians doing their thing.

Doesn't leave as much as an impression as I hoped it would.

5/10

>Julius Eastman - Unjust Malaise
>Modern Classical, Minimalism

Stay On It isn't attempting to progress the melody, it's trying to... stay on it. The ensemble's vibraphone, marimba, and strings eventually break away from the first movement's riff. I can't tell if the performers are intentionally fucking up about 5 minutes into the song.

If You're So Smart, Why Aren't You Rich?, an introductory trumpet climbs up chromatically. The ensemble bastes in brass drones, and once again attacks the chromatic scale, each instrument attempting to go as high as possible. The chimes summon imagery of a maddened event like The French Revolution alongside the heavy horn blasts, and eventually a very violin joins the turmoil.

Prelude To The Holy Presence Of Joan D'Arc (1981) and its followup are excellent examples of maximal minimalism. The jump between the two is jarring in a good way.

Gay Guerrilla comes off as a disturbed Philip Glass using only pianos, and is the most accessible and thrilling composition. What begins as heavy atonal chords, turns into heart-wrenching single note strikes.

A conductor occasionally corrals more pianos in the final track, as they restlessly wander into light-adorned halls and hidden passageways.

A shame that a brave composer such as Eastman wouldn't see to produce more.

7/10