Pet ownership

Pet ownership is essentially slavery. You purchase your pet. You force it to live with you. You train it to obey, and if it doesn't, you punish it. You use it for entertainment, companionship and/or labor, completely disregarding it's own naturally inherent freedom.

>But he/she's happy, you can see it.
One could argue that their display of affection is nothing but a symptom of the Stockholm syndrome. After all, they were taken forcefully from their mother (unless it's a stray).

>They wouldn't survive in the wild anyways
That argument only applies to the "pets" that are still in circulation, not to continuous pet-breeding.

Say what you want, but breeding animals for our personal enjoyment is a petty and morally unjustifiable act.

Other urls found in this thread:

news.discovery.com/animals/pets/why-petting-fur-provides-pleasure-130129.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Animals are for our exploitation. You used to be too until someone was brave enough to call you a human. Nigger.

>Animals are for our exploitation.
Is that so?

Non-humans have no value.

>live outside
>fight for food, hunger plenty, no pats
>life expectancy 5 years
or
>live inside
>never out of food, toys, petted a lot
>life expectancy 12+ years
We're so cruel

You will know what slavery is like in a few years when you're tending Mohammeds garden while he rapes your wife in the window.

>implying I care about slavery

>live inside
>never out of food, toys, petted a lot
>life expectancy 12+ years
So let's say the government could create institutions that did exactly that. You have no freedom anymore. You eat when they say you eat. You shit when they say you shit. You get to live inside. You never run out of food. You get "toys". Your life expectancy drastically increase since the goverrment regulate everything you eat and do. No crime, etc.

Freedom is better than a life in chains. Doesn't matter what the prize is. Thought an american would understand that.

Hâr, din jävla Svensson.

So what do you suggest we do with long domesticated species who cannot survive in the wild, like my ferret? Should we cull them into extinction?

its more like adoption lad, in fact thats exactly what it is
>One could argue that their display of affection is nothing but a symptom of the Stockholm syndrome.
yes surely they would be better off locked in cages for their entire lives until they die or live in the wild feeding on scraps and barely able to scrape by never knowing when they are gonna find food again

Animals actually get their feel-good chemicals in their brains when they're with humans.

"The true measure of an individual is how he treats a person who can do him absolutely no good."

You people disgust me.

I suggest you read the OP again. It's covered.

try telling a far it's immoral for him to own horses
in many cases animals have better access to food and shelter with humans than without
not to mention medicine

*farmer

1: most pets were bred specifically for living with humans.

it is now their natural state. just about every species of dog and cat is pretty much entirely domensticated

2: Dogs and cats are pack animals(yes, even cats). forming groups with a rigid hierarchy is totally 100% natural for them.

the only difference between this and nature, is that the alpha of the pack is a human.

Every behavior your dog and cat does relating to you is a pack behavior. they do the exact same thing among themselves.

It's not slavery, it's simply the natural life cycle of social animals. they are designed by nature to be lead and obey. it's in their DNA. it's the whole reason why we were able to domesticate them.

it's only a bad thing when you try to keep non-domesticated animals as pets, against their nature.

Tigers are not pets. they are solitary(solitary in this case meaning that, at best, they will live only with their own mate and offspring, they do not form packs).

however, you will find that the VAST ,majority of pets are either 1: pack animals who's nature already leads them to be commanded by another creature anyways,

or 2: something like a bug or a fish, which is basically mindless and has no opinion either way.

>yes surely they would be better off locked in cages for their entire lives until they die or live in the wild feeding on scraps and barely able to scrape by never knowing when they are gonna find food again
See Also, I'm not saying we should throw out all domesticated pets in the wild. Just stop the breeding. When the pets are all used up, no more pets.

>in many cases animals have better access to food and shelter with humans than without
>not to mention medicine
See Safety does not triumph freedom.

>so let's say the government could create institutions that did exactly that

They already have them. They're called the Swedish prison system

>So let's say the government could create institutions that did exactly that
When dogs and cats present a declaration of rights to the senate I'll give your notions more credit than none at all.

>flag
If you support PETA, you support a group of literal puppy stranglers.

Otherwise being opposed to owning animals is just plain faggy.

>1: most pets were bred specifically for living with humans.
How does that justify the continuation of the practice? They are not needed for a healthy eco-system, so it's not a problem if they go extinct.

>Dogs and cats are pack animals(yes, even cats). forming groups with a rigid hierarchy is totally 100% natural for them.
So? You're forcefully taking them from their pack (i.e. mother and siblings), to live with you. They basically suffer from the Stockholm syndrome.

>Every behavior your dog and cat does relating to you is a pack behavior. they do the exact same thing among themselves.
See previous response.

>It's not slavery
It is. It's forced.

animals have no concept of "freedom". you are trying to plaster human traits unto things that are not human.

Animals are not "free" in nature, they are bound by their instincts and environment. what they can or cannot do is strictly limited.

among humans, their freedom is limited by the human's rules and choices. in nature, their freedom is limited by things like enviorment, natural predators, competition among their own species, etc.

there is no such thing as freedom. you're not free either, you are just higher up on the food chain.

>When dogs and cats present a declaration of rights to the senate I'll give your notions more credit than none at all.
Aha, I see. So do you suggest we make it legal to own humans as pets as well? If they suffer from severe retardation for example.

Most of Sup Forums would own a nigger if we could

Your argument won't fly here sweden

subjecting another living thing to your dominance is a natural reaction.
only human made laws make this act not the norm

Yeah they are a slave on fairly arbitrary lines.

Fundamentally I extend rights to other humans because of the "problem of other minds." I can't be sure that other humans have a conciousness, but I do know that our DNA is farm more similar in aggregate when compare to that of other species. I don't want other humans to hurt me so I decide that I will not hurt them in return.

I don't give animals that degree of liberty.

>You eat when they say you eat. You shit when they say you shit.

I don't know, senpai. My dogs tell me when they want either of those things. Maybe I'm cucked by canines.

Except for your pet has the same self-awareness as your toaster...Are you going to free your toaster...Pets are "Things" sure we love them and they are cute and all, but they are not self-aware and thus just mindless animals.

Fuck off mohammed

>My dogs tell me when they want either of those things.
Yes, but it's your choice to comply. You don't have to. Your dog can't get the food himself, he has to ask.

>Freedom is better than a life in chains.
sweden you are absolutely wrong

the alternative to their ownership is them living in the wild
and yet you say we shouldn't throw them out in the wild
their "life in chains" as you say is a paradise when you compare it to the life they would have in freedom

we are good to them, and they can do good things for humans as well
it is a symbiotic relationship, and ending pets would mean their extinction

Domestic dogs and cats were bred with the express intention of them being dependent on humans. It's not slavery, it is symbiosis.

To animals really like being petted? Like what's the human equivalent?

>So do you suggest we make it legal to own humans as pets as well? If they suffer from severe retardation for example
We do, we just call it 'custody'.

When are you going to address the ongoing enslavement of plants? The plants you eat were specifically bred to be food, and in most cases they could not survive without human intervention.

I'm sure my cat would rather be living in the alley scrounging up food than being pampered in my cushy apartment.

Hey faggot, I don't care. Animals are property, by law and by God. No argument can surmount that no matter how many precious feelings you poor into it.

>.Pets are "Things" sure we love them and they are cute and all, but they are not self-aware and thus just mindless animals.
How would you know? Just because they don't have the human kind of self-awareness it doesn't mean they're not self-aware. And how is that even relevant? They still have feelings.

Other possibilities:
>be held in cage all day
>left outside for years with no interaction besides feeding
> never get walked, live in backyard for 10 years wondering what's out there and why you'll never see it
>get tortured and abused for no reason they can understand or just for fun

Most people b shouldn't have pets

You do realize that is perfectly in line with the natural order, right?

yes, it is forced. we're higher up the food chain, so we get to decide what happens to them.

Does the mouse get to decide whether or not the cat eats it?

Does a deer get to decide if that pack of wolves is gonna chase it down and rip it's throat out?

Nature does not give a fuck about your feelings. there is a strict, rigid hierarchy to life. nothing is "free". some animals(like us) just have more options because we're higher up the chain, and thus have less things that can limit our freedom.

Basically, you're trying to argue against not humanity, but nature itself.

Nature is not a disney movie. if nature was a person, it wouldn't be Mother Theresa, it's be Ghengis Kahn.

I consider it immoral to keep any pet that you have to cage/lock in/chain, in order to prevent it from going its own way.

I have a cat and he leaves the house whenever the fuck he wants, roams around the neighborhood and returns whenever he feels like it. I have a dog at my grandpa's house in the country and he too could go about wherever he wanted if he wasn't a lazy slob

Humans who haven't been traumatized love touch i.e. hugging and kisses on the cheek.

Don't believe me that it's trauma that makes you socially anxious? Look at Dog's that have been abused, they hate being touched.

the dog is my property and I will do whatever I wish with it I know this triggers you since dogs are filthy and haram but this is America damn it

>Your dog can't get the food himself
Pretty sure my dogs can, they also let themselves out

>animals really like being petted?
Yes
news.discovery.com/animals/pets/why-petting-fur-provides-pleasure-130129.htm

Not really, if ownership and breeding of species who rely on us is forbidden they will disappear forever. You speak of freedom but it seems you'd rather they were just wiped out.

>I'm sure my cat would rather be living in the alley scrounging up food than being pampered in my cushy apartment.
Open your door and see how long it takes for your cat to leave.

Have you never played Pokemon? Animals exist to be beaten to death so they will then be your best friend. It's the way of nature.

>animal lives hold the same value as human lives
o i am laffin

>Having children is essentially slavery. You birth your child. You force it to live with you. You train it to be a good person, and if it doesn't, you punish it. You use it for entertainment, companionship and/or labor, completely disregarding it's own naturally inherent freedom.

What's the problem if we give them food and a warm bed? That's better than living in the wild

>To animals really like being petted?
Have you ever pet a dog or cat? They seek it out from you once they realize that it feels good. The only thing I can imagine it feeling like is getting a scalp massage but all over, but it's also a bonding thing as they associate you with feeling good.

>wanting to explore is the same as wanting to leave and never come back
is there something wrong with you?

That's good, but your cat and dog were still forcefully removed from their family. You think that's just?

Wait till AI becomes commonplace.
>Abolish appliance slavery now!

>Swede posting about Stockholm Syndrome

Do your community a favour and don't let your cats roam, unless you're rural. Cats literally genocide local wildlife and can cause considerable property damage.

Knew this argument was coming. What if your child was forcefully removed from you as an infant? Purchased by someone else? Would you be fine with that?

does PETA care for insects? fucking hypocrites

imagine all the dogs that died for the last million years of totally avoidable starvation or disease that humans easily cure with modern society

also dogs are predators, "liberating" them would only result in them stealing our babies or becoming pests thus relegated to the life of a wolf, totally expendable and dependent on nature which is a miserable condition we've used out SUPERIOR (yes, I know swedes hate that word) intelligence to in fact truly liberate them from stuff like user said

>One could argue that their display of affection is nothing but a symptom of the Stockholm syndrome. After all, they were taken forcefully from their mother (unless it's a stray).

One could argue that you're a cock-gobbling, bleeding heart faggot who cannot into logic or reason.

>Open your door and see how long it takes for your cat to leave
If they don't get lost, unable to find their way home, they'll often return with parasites and communicable diseases picked up from other animals, namely feline-leukemia.

Nothing wrong with slavery.

>Having a garden is essentially slavery. You pot your plants. You force it to live with you. You water it to be a good plant, and if it doesn't, you remove it. You use it for entertainment, companionship and/or profit, completely disregarding it's own naturally inherent freedom.

kill it with fire

>How would you know?

Because you ignorant nigger, we have actually tested animals for self-awareness. Elephants, dolphins, whales, higher apes and even some birds are self-aware and we can prove this. Dogs and pretty much every animal we eat regularly and just keep as pets are not self-aware. They have no concept of self, nor of tomorrow. They are mindless beasts that exist for no other reason than to be exploited as we see fit, and fuck you for being a bleeding heart moron You are probably a vegan too, but I doubt it, cuz you haven't told us you are yet...So just a regular faggot then?

Man and dog have been best friends since the last ice age, the laws of nature have determined that we belong together. Who gives a fuck what some Swede thinks about this sacred institution.

You people are disgusting. I would like for an alien race to come to Earth and do the things you've been doing for lesser creatures for millenia. You sure as shit wouldn't like it.

True China knows whats up

what the fuck is htat

My cats are neutered and they can go wherever the fuck they want
they choose to lay on the deck

I think you need...more...in your life.

And no they do not have "feelings" they have instincts. Different things all together.

Take care of it and it will always come back to you
Ahmed fucked you up pretty good my man

So immigration?

That scenario happens a lot, Its called adoption.

if it does happen, such is the way of nature.
the weak and inferior are to be subjugated by the strong

That would be the ideal NEET lifestyle and you don't even have to cook and clean up.

>Having a car is essentially slavery. You park your car. You force it to drive you. You service it to be a good vehicle, and if it doesn't, you sell it. You use it for entertainment, transportation and/or profit, completely disregarding it's own naturally inherent freedom.

The last time I checked, I didn't cry about my nigger slave when I whipped him to death. To the gas chamber with you.

your argument is kinda ok, but desu animals sever ties with their offspring in a matter of months so it's not really that big of an issue. also the dog literally wandered into my grandparents yard one day and stuck around since then

It's better than being a mutt in Korea!

If I can eat animal, why can't I fuck an animal?

>Animals don't have feelings
Guess your dog's never happy then.

>my cat or dog that sleeps, eats and shits all day is a slave

ok m8

>That scenario happens a lot, Its called adoption.
I said forcefully. Do you agree with what's happening in Norway? The government forcefulyl taking away children from their parents, for no apparent reason at all?

>when you live in the most cucked nation on Earth and you need to shitpost on Sup Forums to distract yourself from your woman being fucked in the other room by a refuguee

That's modern society

sounds pretty rad
i get to be an aliens friend and he supports me completely out of his own pocket, ayy lmao

i aint doing any anal probes though, thats where i draw the line

Our ancestors used to fall prey to giant fucking bipedal birds, humans fought our way up and I for one am happy to be at the top because of it.

Because that's gross, stop it.

Not as you or I would be no, Content would as close as I would say, but only content because there is no immediate danger and his pack is safe. I know how to dog fool. You cannot consistently use the same techniques on a thinking self-aware creature and expect them to continue to work, but with dogs they do, the same triggers, the same tests, the same techniques over and over again work every time...you can't just do that with any elephant, for example, each one is unique and will respond to different stimuli different ways..dogs and other non-thinking animals are predictable

>Having a pencil is essentially slavery. You buy your pencil. You force it to mark paper for you. You sharpen it to be a good pencil, and if it doesn't, you bin it. You use it for writing, chewing and/or scratching, completely disregarding it's own naturally inherent freedom.

>American
>understanding ethics

You are drastically overestimating this country's citizens.

Then animals would require more rites,safe sex etc

>people willingly bring a mouth to feed into their house
>no guarantee it won't vomit or shit inside your dwelling
>anyone with allergies is barred from visiting you for extended amounts of time depending on the severity
>all for a simulated feeling of companionship that is in reality just a parasite/host relationship

My wife got a dog without my permission and i made sure it was gone that same evening. She's so fucking lucky our daughter is young enough to forget about it entirely within a month.
I was mad enough she did something that major behind my back, it being a finincial burden was the icing on the cake.

I don't have to get mad at her often, but women tend to forget where they stand and pull shit like this and you need to lay into them to reinforce the lesson of 'i pay the bills, i get at LEAST 50% stake in any decision"

>it's an abject retard equates human and animal faculties episode

Say that to my rabbit that shits all day and eats for free. While absolutely nothing is expected of it.

My dogs seemed pretty damn happy for the decade plus that I kept them sheltered with good food and water, plus a nice backyard and all the love they could get even when they got old.

I miss them so much.

I treat my dog better than most people I know.

Hell I give him more respect than most people I know because I can always rely on him.