David Cronenberg

Thoughts on his work Sup Forums? Recommendations?

Watched Videodrome last night and loved it.
I've seen a History of Violence (great) and Eastern Promises (fucking great) and looking to dig deeper.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/68947050/#68947050
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

One of the greatest

yeah bro Videodrome is masterpiece. I would recommend you to watch Scanners and The brood. And then you can watch naked lunch and his whole filmography

he's a bullshitter who made some good movies by accident when he couldn't afford to make the shitty movies he really wants to make.

The fly
Existenz

One of my favorites movies is M Butterfly.

litterally reddit: the director

Dead Ringers is magical

Watch 'Crash' and 'Dead Ringers'.

Eastern Promises was so fucking disappointing, great premise, bad movie

Maps to the Stars if you want really distinctive and twisting plots
Crash if you want almost no plot, just an exploration of a premise

imagine that the reddit mascot drinks too much starbucks coffee and robs a fedora store and it still wouldn't be half as reddit as this director's work.

He's great, most of his movies are worth watching but I'd recommend The Fly and Naked Lunch

DEATH TO VIDEODROME! LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH!

I only recommend him for baiting purposes and to waste other's time.

Cosmopolis is awesome

Thanks fellas.

What did you find disappointing about it?

What makes him so Reddit?

one of the best directors alive. Loved cosmopolys

Overrated arrogant hack

>history of violence
>great
lmao

The Brood is fantastic.
His old, old stuff (Rabid, Shivers) is...ok, worth watching if you're a big fan I guess.

>What makes him so Reddit?

only reddit would ask this question.

I unironically enjoyed Cosmopolis but I'd never recommend it to anyone

Cronenberg is one of the greatest auteurs. He has an intoxicating and singular style that plays with philosophical concepts in a relatively direct manner, yet for me, rarely seems haughty or contrived.

>Videodrome
In my top 20. A great piece of art should speak to the time it was created and give you a glimpse into the zeitgeist, and as far as that goes, I think Videodrome is as good as any I've ever seen.
>The Fly
Cronenberg managed to elevate a campy creature feature into something that had as much existential dread as a Bergman film
>The Brood
One of the greatest films about the effects of a dysfunctional home on a child, and managed to make it uncomfortably visceral with it's horrifying allegory.
>Existenz
Certainly not his best, but curiously overlooked (especially on a website with so many gamers). It was an endearingly naive criticism on the pernicious psychological effects of virtual reality and gaming.

The only film of his I really disliked was Eastern Promises.

I've seen A History of Violence.
It was absolutely terrible.
Don't think I'll see any of his others if he's so incompetent.

It's one of the very best movies made since the year 2000. You just lack the cinematic sophistication to appreciate it.

>Trump critiques Cronenberg

watch Cosmopolis, his magnum opus

>look mom i'm pretending to be retarded on the internet

Best kino: Cosmopolis
Best movie: The Fly
Best flick: Existenz

Agreed. It tries way too hard and the ending is bad on every level. But Videodrome and The Fly are all time. Crash is at least interesting

archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/68947050/#68947050

kek, were you in that thread as well?

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with the link, but I think A History of Violence and Eastern Promises were his weakest films. So if you're honestly basing your entire opinion on one film, then I'd suggest you... fuck it.

>i'll substantiate my claims by citing a post on Sup Forums

You're either an awful troll or completely braindead.

i've already said all i had to say about it in that thread

>he saved the link with his arguments for future reference

>what is "search"
jesus, you're a fucking retard

I don't know what that means, I guess I'm too new. Nevertheless, it doesn't change the fact that you're a thickheaded fool if you base your opinion of a widely respected filmmaker on one film that was a particularly polarizing film in his catalogue.

But whatever, I'm not gonna try to convert you. Stay dumb.

>Trump
Wut?
Is he the new literally Hitler?

My nigga. Dead Ringers is my personal favorite. Devastates me every time.

I don't get Cosmopolis. Is it his most abstract work?

... sure, yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Now you can show me all your little image macros detailing why that's inaccurate.

Trump 2016™. Praise Him.

I'm not praising him but
>Trump critiques Cronenberg
Sounds like the most random answer. If anything it would be Pleb critiques Cronenberg.

But sure, pretend to sound smart with your sarcasm, wiseass.

I don't know why I'm still responding to you, but read again, and tell me it doesn't sound like Donald Trump lambasting someone who criticized him.

Whatever you do just don't watch Naked Lunch unless you honestly enjoy things up your ass

I seriously regret watching that movie.

Sounds more like something from Armond White.
You seem to have a fixation with Trump, user.

Kek

>I watched videodrome
>it's a sick sick movie
>I wouldn't recommended it to anyone
>Cronenburg is a sick man

>Imagine... just imagine the terrible human being that would be responsible for Videodrome. Can you imagine it, folks? Believe me, he's terrible.