Is this some inside joke that I'm not in on?

is this some inside joke that I'm not in on?
why do people praise this record so highly? when I listen to it, it seems like nothing more than nonsensical meme music with no merits beyond maybe the shock value of some of its lyrics and the novelty of its creator
can someone explain this to me?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oBCf72OJpn0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

contrarian detected

dont worry, you're a pleb.

It's a joke that got out of hand, like bronies

It's utter trash. Don't bother.

I mean its just another shilled kanye record

beep boop newfag alert

Power is the greatest hype song known to mankind, if anybody can post a better one I'll be shocked.

People disagreeing= newfag

...woah

No, falling for a meme makes you a newfag, newfag.

>implying gorgeous doesn't have cray bars

It's not a joke, but i do agree this album is terribly overrated

I think it's because if you listen to it now, it has influenced so many artists and it provided a blueprint for a lot of what you hear now. When it came out no one really expected or heard anything like it before.

>influenced so many artists
Like who?

Name one (1) hip-hop album as ambitious and maximalist as this.

Hype is a meme and Power is cringey horse shit.
Prove me wrong.
Protip: you can't.

Juicy J - Stay Trippy

as far as hiphop goes, its produced well and has some interesting themes lyrically. It is overrated though

Sometimes you just have to accept that you have shit taste. You're one of those people that could look at a painting by one of the old masters and say "lol my camera could do better."

I'm sorry OP.

Literally name any rapper. I mean even Kendrick interpolates 'So Appalled' on his earlier work.

The grandiose My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (Roc-A-Fella, 2010), that basically reversed the path of the previous two albums, was hailed as an epochal masterpiece by the press but mostly because of what it represented (a diligent adoption of all "cool" stereotypes of the time), and not necessarily because of what it sounded like. This overcrowded album certainly brought together West's arrangement ambitions in a pompous and multifaceted manner, feeling more like a Wagner symphony than a hip-hop album. By applying the lessons of all his masters (Jon Brion, Kid Cudi), West came up with a better focused and integrated music/text melody/rap message in the anthemic and dreamy chant of Dark Fantasy and in the driving and hypnotic lament of Gorgeous. This method achieved a new peak of pathos in Power, a terrifying variation on King Crimson's futuristic anthem 21st Century Schizoid Man. The level of sophistication increases with the electronic effects of Hell Of A Life, in which West's vocal line mirrors a vintage Black Sabbath bass line. The way Lost In The World transitions from a delicate litany to a jovial dance (employing Bon Iver's very non-jovial melody Woods) is spectacular.
At the same time West displays his knack as a director of voices, arranging them in sequences and layers to obtain maximum dramatic effect. Hence All Of The Lights (boasting eleven guest vocalists), a quasi-house number over thundering convoluted percussion, with trumpet fanfares and a melody reminiscent of DHT's Listen To Your Heart. Hence Monster, a parade of vocal actors (Bon Iver, Jazy-Z, Rick Ross) culminating with a terrific machine-gun performance by Nicki Minaj suspended in time. The succession of vocal registers (Prince Cy Hi, Jay-Z, Pusha T, RZA, Swizz Beatz) sculpts the elegiac lulling sinister soothing So Appalled. A polyphony of voices (notably Rick Ross) propels Devil In A New Dress over a languid Pink Floyd-ian symphonic adagio.

The music is not only emotionally draining but physicially extenuating as the pieces get longer and longer. The nine-minute Runaway begins with just a ticking piano, transitions to excruciating raps, ends with an instrumental coda of deconstructed chamber music. The eight-minute Blame Game disguises another incursion in chamber music as a soulful Sting-like ballad.
The album ends with
Gil Scott-Heron preaching Who Will Survive In America over a massive beat.
This compendium of rap and soul music of the era is a sinister hallucination of self-destructive impulses.

Backstreet Freestyle

watch the video

ez pz
youtube.com/watch?v=oBCf72OJpn0

Personally I think Late Registration is much better. But I like both.

Hip hop has been an inside joke of white music critics since its inception

>meme music
This phrase is like a flat-out admission of "I physically don't know how to articulate my vague feelings towards this music as actual criticism".

it's a 6/10 for me, maybe a 7
it's about as interesting as a watercolour painting
it's only good because it's important in the context of kanye's development or whatever

also, it is seminal in that aspect for hip hop at large, but that doesn't mean it is good especially out of hip hop and rap's domain

It's a good album.

y'all got baited. sorry, lads.

>hype song
pleb detected, but if we're going down that route then that's not even yeezy's best example, On Sight is enough to stir anyone's blood

surprised this bait caught on, but then again im not

>this thread again

Sup Forums likes it because it samples King Crimson and Aphex Twin. I like it because it sounds cool.

Why did the girl have wings for arms

>talking about an album that has been a part of mu culture since 2010 makes you a newfag.