CALLING ALL STAR TREK FANS

I love TMP. Let's talk about it.
I've only seen the theatrical version.

There are three versions.
1. Theatrical
2. Director's
3. Special Longer Version

To anybody who has seen one I haven't, or all three, which would you consider to be "the best"?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/b52b4yORX6U?t=56s
slashfilm.com/star-trek-v-apology/
youtu.be/BUPK2tTx0tc?t=67
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I liked the Final Frontier

4. The Changeling (September 1967 Edition)

Director's Edition

The pacing is much better (especially in the second act) and there are more character moments. The sound quality also is GREATLY improved which is good because the score and sound design is one of the best aspects of the film. Some of the effects are touched up which all looks good and not like Lucas prequel tier trash.

The reality is Robert Wise did not get to complete the film he wanted to make because of budget and time restrictions and general studio incompetency but the Director's Cut gets him pretty damn close.

Hey OP, are you the guy from the Man of Steel Sequel Director thread?

>Some of the effects are touched up which all looks good and not like Lucas prequel tier trash.
Not OP but I haven't seen the director's cut and I'm glad to hear this. Shoving loads of CGI shit into an old movie is infuriating but using CGI to subtly remove flaws is fine.

yes lol

me too

TMP
FF
Nemesis

best three imo

Didn't know there was a Director's Cut.

I love STTMP and I'll track it down.

They even went out of their way to make it look not as good so as to mirror what was available at the time the film was made

Tell me if you find a full DVD rip of the Director's Edition.
I can't find shit online except for a 1.5 gig rip on TBP.

Wait I found the full DVD iso.
It's at extratorrent dot cc.
There's only one guy seeding at 10 kbps, but he has the whole full and the ETA is 6 days.

bump

Wormhole up ahead Sup Forums!

GET US BACK ON IMPULSE POWER. FUUUUUUUULLLLLL REEEEEVEEEEEEEERSEEEEEEEE OOOHHHHHHH NNNNOOOOOOOO

Why do they call it Deep Space 9?
It's a Bajoran station.

The Bajoran give it the the Federation. Did you even see the show?

Because Bajorans are morons who would be buttfucked within a day if the federation wasn't there to keep the cardies away.

fgbbrw

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is literally the Star Trek: The Kino of Star Trek motion pictures.

it should be called freedom station

Shat recently issued about as much of an apology as he's constitutionally able to offer for the way TFF turned out.

It's actually called Star Trek: Kino in some languages and it's literally just that

youtu.be/b52b4yORX6U?t=56s

Source?
I like TFF a lot, but the effects are dogshit.

I love watching episodes of the original series, but i hate the redone special effects.

Nearly bought the dvd collections but stayed my hand just until the blu rays come down in price or buy the older sets.

It's the 9th fed station in deep space.

got it on laserdisc gringos

noice

Director's Edition.

I own the Blu-ray of 1. And the DVD's of 2 & 3.

It's a shame there has been no attempt to remaster the effects. Sure it won't fix V's problem but it's a start.

DeForrest Kelley was the highlight of the film.

>It's a shame there has been no attempt to remaster the effects

get out.

you either watch it how it was originally made and broadcast or you dont.

Don't you mean shown in cinemas?

Too bad a 4K or whichever for the Director's Edition will be unfeasible since the CG effects were only rendered in 480p.

Recently watched this for the first time. Theatrical version. I thought it was pretty good. Slow and kind of uneventful but still interesting.

sorry.

i tripped before i looked

I'm sorry but Final Frontiers effects are laughable for a film with a considerable budget. It resembles a TOS episode more than TMP.

People have already answered this so i'll go off the rails and rank the original movies:
1>6>2>3>5>4
I have a feeling people will think i'm fucking crazy for saying anything beats Wrath of Khan, or that anything is beaten by Final Frontier, but I guess I like talky trek more than action trek.

>I guess I like talky trek more than action trek.
I'm surprised you dislike 4 so much. It's one of the talkiest Trek movies.

>I got the chance to direct a several-million-dollar movie, Star Trek V, and I did not get the help I needed in allocating my budget, so when it came to shooting the ending — needing a good villain and lots of computer graphics — I had run out of money. Sorry about that. I had to use footage that I had already shot — and spit on it a lot. I wanted to give [the audience] earth-breaking granite monsters spewing rocks and fire. Instead, I had a few pebbles in my hand that I threw at the camera.

slashfilm.com/star-trek-v-apology/

STV did have a lot of things going against it. Harve Bennett & Shatner weren't getting along, the scripting was rushed (about a month, start to finish), shooting started late (October for a June release), the effects house was overburdened with projects...that he got it made at all is fairly impressive.

he has a lot more to apologize for than the ending

Interesting. I still like the movie a lot though.

>row row row your boat

If only Shatner had more money.
True best friends moment.

>nemesis
u srs nigga?

Just rewatched Undiscovered Country this scene always makes me cry.

youtu.be/BUPK2tTx0tc?t=67

What a perfect ending to TOS Crew.

the federation isnt the US, no matter how much burgerfags try to pretend it is

Very.

Agreed. Like I said, it's about as much of an apology as he's able to issue. He's a proud man, owning up to his shortcomings isn't one of his strong suits. That being said, unless it was Shatner's idea to depict the supporting crew as inept goobers, I think a lot of the problems lay with the writer.

The Motion Picture is the best.

The Final Frontier is the only truly terrible Star Trek movie. Good intentions though.

Generations was botched, Insurrection was dull and Nemesis was limp but none of them are below a 5/10.

apex pleb

Muh who done it ? Cluedo in space .

Director's cut is the one with the long pans of the V'Ger ship I think I recall. Dragged on for ages.

im pretty jealous, deshita.

sdvberrbvrsbrbrgb