/jazz/ general

What are you listening to and what do you think of it?

>Sup Forums jazz guides and charts
imgur.com/a/7k7Sw

>releases, reviews and news
pastebin.com/RXP80z0f

>music downloads
archive.org/details/davidwnivenjazz

>historical resources
mega.nz/#F!fNdmVR7B!9a5sgVwyqqC3i3j9ooJGLg (jazz books)
mega.nz/#F!vZUVwQAR!nye_-wRwFbm-0Q3DYivQBg (Collection of Blue Note liner notes)
mega.nz/#F!ncdz0CpY!7RKQ_SY6OI77NcKS64t4UA (Collection of 1960’s Down Beat Scans)

>jazz theory and playing resources
mega.nz/#F!WcEEmbIJ!YGcPWrZAx4K9Jf4TVnsb_w

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eYEl4EaCPJs
youtube.com/watch?v=Ng3jttf91UE
youtube.com/watch?v=zeOdqw7rbNc
youtube.com/watch?v=8mJ8UdXutEU
youtube.com/watch?v=fzAPyoaBdp4
youtube.com/watch?v=TzFw3x9-1Mo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm listening to Angels and Demons at Play by Sun Ra at the moment (first time) and quite enjoying it. I never see anyone discuss it so I'm quite surprised! I love the flute, more jazz flute albums?

Also, any good jazz biography recommendations? I'm reading Ascension: John Coltrane and His Quest and I want more!

Yusef Lateef!

Is Scenery by Ryo Fukui actually good or is it only liked by people who don't actually listen to jazz?

Its aight but overrated
His later albums are better

Check out Miles: The Autobiography. It really immerses you into Miles's life and thoughts, especially when he was in the midst of heroin addiction.

It's a good album and the only people who dislike it are elitist faggots who only shit on it because it's popular

>People who disagree with me are assholes

Listening to Ambrose Akinmusire's new album currently, really cozy and serene arrangements that still groove. Hell of a long live album, very very good, one of my favorites from the year so far.

youtube.com/watch?v=eYEl4EaCPJs

TRISTANO
R
I
S
T
A
N
O

Does anybody besides JTG have an opinion or any favorites on the criss cross label? I've been getting into David Binney's discography and some of his are really good so I'm interested in checking out more.

any great early 70s jazz funk fushion besides herbie hancock? really dig the atmosphere

have you heard On the Corner yet?

Listen to this: Also check out A Tribute to Jack Johnson by Davis and Lanquidity by Sun Ra

yes loved it!

>besides JTG
why though? I doubt anybody knows the label as well as he does

anything by brother yusef is golden

bump

Yeah, I've read some of his reviews and stuff but I just wanted to get some other opinions.

percussionists are best composers: y/n

Pianists.

Waller, Ellington, Monk, Hancock...

Just how many versions of images did sun ra make?
Does anybody know if the piece has any lore behind it?

here's Herbie's band making an album I like better than Headhunters:
youtube.com/watch?v=Ng3jttf91UE

Can you rec me any more percussion heavy albums?

Herbie Hancock, Thelonious Monk, Eric Dolphy and Miles Davis' 2nd Quintet.

Favorite drummers anyone?

Tony Williams - revolutionized jazz drumming

also Max Roach, Elvin Jones

Can anyone give me recs like this? Its one of the few albums that really turned me onto jazz.

What are some good recordings with male singing like karma by pharoah sanders?
Specifically the track The Creator Has a Master Plan.
Is it a specific style or just leon thomas's alone?

maybe
youtube.com/watch?v=zeOdqw7rbNc

Leon Thomas' yodeling is a relatively unique thing - James Moody does something similar occasionally youtube.com/watch?v=8mJ8UdXutEU

On Leon Thomas, I think Spirits Known and Unknown is his best album
youtube.com/watch?v=fzAPyoaBdp4

FUCK user
I've been looking for that track for months dude, that's the EXACT track I was listening to hoping that there were more than two vocalists like that but I didn't know they were the same.
Thank you so much.

Bump. What's everyone listening to this morning? I finally got Kind of Blue on vinyl yesterday so that's soundtracking my day.

I threw on Roscoe Mitchell's Sound in the shower and then Stan Kenton's City of Glass on my commute to school. First listen on that last one, not sure what to make of it desu.

Never heard of either of these albums, City of Glass sounds particularly interesting. I'm gonna listen to it later today.

it's 15:30 here but whatever
listening to pick related again

on vinyl

herlin riley is the best imo

very unique playing but can also play any style with so much natural, relaxed talent

Listening to pic related. This stuff is brilliant! I don't know why I didn't like it the first time I listened to it

bump

Fuckin Andrew White man. If I could play like this on guitar I would die happy

youtube.com/watch?v=TzFw3x9-1Mo