Lets start a Martial arts Thread

Lets start a Martial arts Thread.

Do you practice any?
Do you want to practice any?
Stay on topic though.

Pic for atention

Inb4 critisising my spelling. I have dyslexia but can spell pretty good when i am not tired as shit. Also some martial arts I have practiced:
> Wrestling (With friends essentially)
> Some type of weird but fun cardio mma
> Basic Capoiera steps
> Muy thai basics
> A bit of BJJ
> Some street fighting

Just bumping. What do you anons think about kung fu? Is it viabel in todays society? Or is it just another form of Bullshido.

Jiu jitsu - been on it for circa 15 years.

Not bad, still do it to keep fit.

Getting older now and shit hurts longer than it used to after sparring.

Son will take it up soon as well.

Nice hobby, faggot

I practiced Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, recently stopped to focus on school.

I'd like to practice more striking related martial arts, like Muay thai and Tae Kwon Do

Sparring does hurt like hell. Been wrestling a lot with friends and find myself with a bunch of marks on my body. Can not practice grappling to much though due to a skin condition that makes force generate an allergic reaction. But I do try my best to get it into my routine.

Krav maga for about two years total. It's the absolute best up against your average fag on the street for self defense.

Would be an even better Hobby if you said that to my face though.
> However BJJ is pretty gay I guess. I like it though.

I mean it is a very huge conflict between the two. Some argue grappling is superior some argue the opposite. I think it really depends but above all else do what is fun man.

Do you have any backup plan for trained fighters. As I understood it Krav maga is mostly about cheap blows exe. One technique from Krav maga I have is throwing something into the opponents face and then hitting them in the stomach.

I wouldn't mind trying to get into HEMA if I could find a decent rapier on the cheap. Something around maybe 42 inches with a basket hilt. Also, fuck smallswords. /asp/ has some threads on this sometimes, maybe I should go there more often...

I know it's not exactly a "martial art" but there's a couple of handgun shooting disciplines that I find interesting. I like point shooting and center axis relock. Maybe not quite as practical as just using the sights the way they were intended to be used, but could be interesting to practice.

I guess not still intresting to hear about. Mabey would rate them as tradition martial arts at best. Ever though about a knife martial arts?

To be honest, grappling is my least favourite part.

I prefer upright sparring.

Thankfully there isn't as much grappling as I do the standard Japanese Jiu jitsu not the Brazilian spin-off.

Try wearing some skins and see if that helps with the skin allergy

Haha to op man. I was thinking more of things like a cap or something.

Thanks for the tip might help a bit if I combine it with my medicine it could work. So more like Judo?

So here's the thing. At like level 1 in Krav you don't get much experience at sparring, but after that it ramps up pretty quickly. A lot more sparring drills, drills to learn to read opponents in a matched fight, that kind of thing. I would put a high level krav person up against anyone but a professional fighter and maybe a BJJ black belt any day, due to the main weakness of krav being ground game, but we still train it in the frame of do what you can to escape and get up ASAP.

The other thing is krav trains not just techniques but mindset as well. It trains you to handle immense stress and exhaustion and to still get back up. Something that most martial arts lack badly. I've trained a little bit of BJJ and mma, very briefly, and the average class was pussy shit compared to a krav class. I don't mean to just talk shit, that was my honest impression.

Same guy here, just wanted to add cross training krav and bjj is probably the best thing you could do for well rounded fighters mentality and skill set

Pretty much,

A lot of throws, wrist locks, arm locks with takedowns etc.

Imagine judo, hapkido and Kyokushin had a retarded baby. That's what I practice.

I did not know that. I assume you do not live in Sweden because I would like to find a gym like that I am however afraid to find a gym where they won´t train properly. Just like Kung fu has suffered a lot from.

Cross? I would argue Muy Thai or Kick boxing with Krav maga and BJJ.

Okay. Well as long as you can perform it Irl you are probably good.

I am in the States and I would recommend my organization, Krav Maga Worldwide, however I don't know if they're in Sweden. I would recommend going on Reddit and find the Krav maga subreddit, there you should be able to find a list of reputable organizations and then locations. I'll look really quick and see if I find anything.

The other benefit of krav is that a good school will train you that your number one defense is avoiding confrontation at all. Through awareness, avoidance, and deescalation if possible you can avoid a fight most of the time.

I wouldn't mix another striking art with Krav probably. Any good school for krav will give you sparring experience and the techniques between Muay Thai and krav especially are very different from what I've seen training with people who used to do it. Also krav trains defensive techniques like defense against chokes from all positions, etc.

No offence bro but I am a fond beliver of a good offence being the best defence. I of course then value my skills in talking people down exe. That is not always possible though, especially where I live when there is a lot of drug related issues exe. My martial arts style would probably be a more western style of Jeet Kune Do (Bruce lees martial art). Which is essentially a personalized style of MMA.

Actually on second thought I would mix boxing with krav simply for the coordination, reading, and experience and the fact that Imi the founder was a boxer so there's strong boxing elements in krav

Lol was just about to ask you about that. Brb like 5 min though.I did not know that though care to explain in more detail? Also how do you test your skills more specifically in your drills? Do you use fake knifes or something?

taking this to mean you've done some backyard faggotry and looked up some youtube tutorials

I believe that as well, but the best offense is not getting backed into a corner in the first place. Then if that fails fight with all it takes to go home safe. If conflict is avoidable and you intentionally escalate for no reason ie no one else you're protecting you are kinda a moron. I don't mean that you're a moron, just tough guys who think they could always win a fight are dumb. I've seen how quickly shit goes from some random guy yelling to someone cracking their head against concrete to know avoiding is the best solution

Testing skills varies. For choke defenses and blocks, etc. It's full or almost full contact. When learning techniques like punches, kicks, etc. It's on pads, but after level 1 they mix in light sparring to get you used to the fact that targets aren't stationary. Another big one is the stress drills. Situations like spinning till you're dizzy af, drop, pop back up, then defend against chokes, send strikes to pads, etc. From multiple attackers. There's tons of ways krav trains from the basics to full contact.

Agreed.

Nice bait m8.

Those spin things exe sounds pretty hardcore man.

It's definitely tough. But it does wonders for getting you accustomed to operating when disoriented and you blood and adrenaline are pumping.

Not sure if true, but I've heard some racecar drivers train krav for the stress training.

It's definitely viable if learned from a real instructor

Would make sense. Anyways the time is now 02:00 where I live but thanks for the entertainment. Good night user. Might continue this thread tomorrow night if I feel like it.

What do you have against smallsword, user?

Before I leave I will reply. I agree. However I think it is hard to find real instructors today. Most are fake instructors or instructors who have learned from fake instructors. But then there is those 5 - 10% which are insanely good.

Studied Kung Fu for a couple years when I was younger and took a couple of months of taekwando before deciding it wasn't for me.
My main deal is historical fencing- rapier, court sword, military sabre and longsword specifically. Been practicing for about 5 years now.

You realize Bushido is Japanese and Kung Fu is Chinese right?

>where the muslims went
>muslims are in the Holy Land
>child crusaders got a lot of splainin to do, plus us good Christians are going to enslave or murder most of you

Yep. But I am refering to the term it go as Bullshido aka not working. I have not seen much evidence of Akido working more then in suprise situations in which case a right swing does equally well.

Karate

Bullshido is a reference to martial arts that aren't practical, like capoeira

In eastern europe they have shit like that. Traditional knife spinning dances or.something like that. Dont remember if the cossacks or who did.

Oh I know you were making a play on words. And yeah, many "martial arts" are bullshit. Aikido is among them in my opinion. If you want to know how to manipulate your opponent learn judo or bjj

Not same user. Seen some Capoeira in MMA though. Granted it rarely works at top tier. Still fancy as fuck though.

Wait you mean that shit isn't legit what special forces uses? Damn.

Think you are confusing it user. Capoeira is a mix of dance and martial arts. It was developed to escape slavery and they were forced to keep the dance part of it to be able to practice it. However you can see Wheel kicks (A standard Capoiera move) be used a lot in MMA.

Judo for about 20 years, used to compete in national events, had fun, now I teach twice a week.

What?? Is Tekken a lie then??
Now seriously, isnt a MA that confuses the opponent and makes you unpredictable, spmehow useful?

Nvm this user answered this

/s my dude, /s

Yep. Capoiera works against untrained opponents but the more experience and training the less effective it gets. I think some sell it short though considering some fighters use it quite effectivly in MMA which I consider to be the closest thing to real life fighting.

Never been formerly taught, everything I learned has just been in fights. My philosophy when it comes to martial arts is that you just need to learn to train your reflexes to perfection so that you can get your hands in the right place.

Fuck it Anons why you gotta start popping up when I gotta go to bed though. I will start this thread again tomorrow and try and keep it going. Will start it around 20:00 - 22:00 CET tomorrow.

> Never been taught Martial arts
> Describes life philosophy as Martial arts.
You just probably had things come to you pretty naturally. However I belive most people can pretty quickly learn things like a cross and a hook. But it becomes much harder with wheel kicks and that kind of deal.

Maybe its me, but i feel rjere are two trends, and some MA schools either choose to be directly and boldly 'useful' or to be strictly tarditional. Isnt thete a middle choice? Cant a MA retain the 'bullshitdo' part wirhout becoming useless?

it's the discipline fuckmook.

Fck this mobile 'keyboard', sounds like im an (even more) retard that i really am

P4 krav maga
Some mma
Some boxing
6 years 'on the job'
Will fuck your shit up if needed

grew up boxing,
little short of a year thai stick kwon do
jiu-jitsu for years
muay thai for years, western and traditional,
even if you got mad skill, you're in for a fair fight.