Sup Forumsfags, I'm inclined to ask, what actual merits as musical pieces does your favorite album have...

Sup Forumsfags, I'm inclined to ask, what actual merits as musical pieces does your favorite album have? Precisely why is your taste just so refined and so good?

define merits

define refinement

Lyrically and arrangement-wise, what makes it objectively good.

Well, jazz is the first truly American style of music invented in my home country in the 20th century and uts developments took us to places where spirituality and technical artistry are one unified force of beauty (Pharoah Sanders - Village of the Pharoahs)

Some of my favorite rock distills pure human emotion into the most raw contents imaginable: disgusting sleazy rage, angst, and confusion all pulsing and pounding against your skull (Stooges - Fun House)

Others are just damn catchy and crafted with unique hooks you dont see in run of the mill music (Motel Beds - Sunfried Dreams)

Percussion most of all.

Great ideas, perfect execution and timing; amazing closer. Can at its best.

>Others are just damn catchy and crafted with unique hooks you dont see in run of the mill music (Motel Beds - Sunfried Dreams)
The only time I see hooks is when I'm fishing

I'm in inclined to ask, how can something subjective like music be objective?

>perfect execution and timing
>fans discover them 40 years later

Wow you should do standup

what the fuck? Fuck that dumb bitch

he's obviously upset about something

this board is and always has been infamous for snootiness

Fuck off you just have shit taste faggot

I mean timing in terms of when things fall into place on the album, not release.

Door's over there if you can't hang.

See, this is exactly why this thread was made. You fags boast incredible taste but have zero idea what makes it so great.

you sound like you have some serious issues to work out

hey

grow up

>lol he made an exclamatory statement therefore he has issues

Wouldn't doubt you've got a lot in common with the girl up top

no he clearly is battling with some inner demons regarding the boogeyman mu. it's really kinda sad. it's just a website. i wouldn't doubt if he takes things like how a websites community is run seriously he just has some mental problems. i would imagine he's on the spectrum probably.

If he has autism, you clearly have dyslexia.

Commas and apostrophes are a big help if you want yourself understood, man.

Everyone plays this card when they are cornered in an argument.

>guy accuses guy of having issues
>guy denied accusation

heated debate

Oh relax you reactionary baby I'm just a bystander
Why doesn't anyone like to play the "I'm more insufferable than you" game on Sup Forums anymore? You guys turned into a bunch of chicks.

people like op obviously

Funny how you're telling me I'm the one in a corner when just one reply demonstrating mild distaste with the way things are here spurred four or so more making the claim I must have some spectrum disorder for being so incredibly livid to have created a thread and responded to a pair of remarks.

This is why the rest of the web hates this board. People here are so haughty and self important that not four sentences' worth of minute objection to the way they see things is genuine autism manifesting itself.

I'm just gonna ignore the shitshow above and try to answer OP's question

Umm well I think this album is special because it captures a certain atmosphere i have never heard recreated. It's like a spinning chaotic thrilling freakshow that is constantly thrilling and fun but always with a little danger lurking at the corners. Compositionally i think it's the best display of Zappa's brilliance and every time I finish it I always want to put it back on from the start just to take the ride again.

Hot Rats sounds like a boat trip to the island of a Kung-fu Master.

that... oddly enough fits perfectly

The merit comes with their approach to music, taking their background as performance artists and having that make up for the fact initially none of them could play any of their instruments. Throbbing Gristle challenged the base concepts of being a musician and a performer. And on top of all of this, they made some of the most exciting and confrontational music I've ever heard, especially for the time. They aren't the gods their superfans make them out to be, but they're brilliant to explore.

Here when you need me, user.

Alot of my favourites are albums I find heavy and intense without resorting the the metal brand of butchered distortion, ogreagressive vocals and rapid drum bashing. The non metal stuff that acheives this imo are the ones that liberally employ dissonance or those that meld soaring harmonies with rapid fire jazzy instrumentation. One important thing Id like to hear in both is having strong propulsive bass and syncopated percussion.

look at this post. nobody's reading this shit and nobody cares. take your meds and go to sleep.

Too bad this entire website is tsundere for us. Go to bed.

how can one man be so nu male?

Idk man Blank Banshee just makes me feel realll goood

>!HUY

>what actual merits as musical pieces does your favorite album have?
well, it's technically impressive as a record and contextually not only was it ahead of its time and influential to COUNTLESS post-rockers, but it's one of the most consistent records ever, and the way the track listing is arranged always causes isolating, chilling listens for me.
>Precisely why is your taste just so refined
i've only listened to about 800 records. i wouldn't necessarily call my taste very refined.
>so good?
having "good taste" is just how much people agree with you. it doesn't matter. just like what you like, that's the best taste you can have.

Nick Cave in The Birthday Party was a dark vocalist in a dark band, playing music inspired by cabaret and blues. Their music sounded apocalyptic by being shocking, but Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds on pic related was more psychologically apocalyptic, and were more effective as a result. Nick Cave cleverly wrote with arrangements in mind for the heavy rhythm section and Blixa Bargeld's atmospheric guitar style. Lyrically, whereas Nick Cave was morally deprived in The Birthday Party, he was spiritually deprived on this album.
In general, the album pushed the no-wave aesthetic into a void of emotional and spiritual degeneracy, and would pave the way for dark blues and hardcore acts like Pussy Galore.

>Why is your taste just so refined and so good?
Taste isn't good or bad. Taste is a subjective preference for certain musical elements and sounds. That being said, listening to a great variety of music is the best way to "refine" your taste, and I know I'm guilty of not listening to enough outside of rock.

>tfw no death grips gf to stomp on you with glitter heels

*replace deprived with depraved

do grils really go on mu

the fact that people have favorite albums at all demonstrates that music is not purely subjective, otherwise why choose any one over others? the fact that there's a board for discussion at all demonstrates it again. disavowing objectivity devalues the whole enterprise, makes it meaningless, pointless. what's the point of aesthetics if none of it has any bearing on the outside, if it's just speaking a language you made up all by yourself?

people say taste is subjective to avoid the obligation to confront the ways in which they've been socially, cultural conditioned to like certain things, to take certain things for granted, to use music to participate in their own social control. it's the logic of consumerism applied to art--the consumer's choice is untouchable, and (aesthetic) products are passive objects meant to fit a lifestyle image. a million options, all the same.

[spoiler]aesthetic choices have political consequences. is it pure coincidence that synthwave syncs up so well footage of soldiers marching? [/spoiler]

elitism or "snobbery" in some sense is at the heart of the creative process. making creative decisions means placing some choices above others. most of the time I want to listen to the best music, not what's mediocre

art school dropout who took a philosophy class once

!HUY

THE

I know two personally

>the fact that people have opinions is what makes music not subjective
what the fuck are you on about lmao

yes, in fact girls do all of the things you do