Did Race Play a Role in Larry Wilmore's Downfall?

nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/did-race-play-role-larry-wilmore-s-downfall-n634336

>Still, according to Elsa Waithe, a four-year veteran African-American stand-up comic, "The Nightly Show" was appointment television for her and plenty of her black peers, if for no other reason because it was one of the few comedy shows of its kind on air currently featuring a predominately black perspective.

>"To be frank, I think when they say Larry Wilmore's show wasn't 'playing well with audiences' I think that's just coded language to say its wasn't playing well with white audiences," she told NBC News. "Maybe for white audiences that was too many black people at once."

>"It's unfortunate that it was cancelled," added stand-up comic and former "Last Comic Standing" semifinalist Cyrus McQueen in a statement to NBC. "The few opportunities for black comedy writers just got reduced further."

>"You started a conversation that was not on television when you began," Stewart told Wilmore in an emotional farewell. "And you worked with a group of people who you invited to that conversation to collaborate with you, to sharpen that conversation and what you don't realize is, you walk out of this room and that conversation doesn't end."

Huh. Really makes you think.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tv/search/image/dcFqfk_gSgd803XvITAAxg/
youtube.com/watch?v=OdqMEfV-r9A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Still, according to Elsa Waithe, a four-year veteran African-American stand-up comic, "The Nightly Show" was appointment television for her and plenty of her black peers, if for no other reason because it was one of the few comedy shows of its kind on air currently featuring a predominately black perspective.

>black perspective

But I thought everyone was the same and equal?

Are they admitting that blacks are fundamentally different than whites?

the only reason some that unfunny got a show in the first place is because he's black

Daily Show will get canned too.

>His show was openly racist AGAINST white people
>White people are the racists for not wanting to watch a show that was racist towards them

I'm glad this shit is coming to an end.

Don't you get tired of posting this shit OP?

you are so fucking stupid it's astonishing

This should be the designated bane posting general

>put a show on that appeals mainly to 13% of the population
>somehow it's surprising when the ratings don't justify keeping it on
Why not just move it to BET?

If Larry Wilmore was white he wouldn't have gotten the gig and if he was white there'd be no tantrums or wistful thinkpieces about his unfunny show getting cancelled.

He isn't that great of a comedian and he especially failed at this role. So many black comedians are acting like butthurt children over this.

Also funny at Stewart talking about "the conversation" when the average level of dialogue on the nightly show was: IM BLACK SMART UR WHITE DUMB HAHA OBAMA=GOOD WHY WOULD U EVEN DO THAT LETS MAKE A SEX TAPE ON MARS LOL

stop making the same fucking thread about this literal who

>according to Elsa Waithe, a four-year veteran African-American stand-up comic

>a four-year veteran African-American stand-up comic

try harder jews

They're lying. All the lefties are saying The Nightly Show was their favorite after its on the air. If this many people liked it, it owuld have stayed on. They're saying they loved the show because they have to. Grill them on it, and they'd eventually admit they've only seen episodes very sporatically.

Viacom throws a bunch of shit at the wall to see what sticks. 90% of it doesn't but people only notice when it involves blacks.

>Show caters to the "black perspective"
>Blacks are 12 percent of the population
>Can't pull in the numbers justify itself.
>Gets cancelled

Makes sense to me.

I can think of about a half dozen black comedians who would have been way better in the role of black social moralizer.

If you are going to be moralistic you have to be a bit lighthearted it can't be mean spirited. That's why Dave Chapelle and Chris Rock were so hugely popular with both white and black audiences.

Imagine how much funnier the show would have been with Hannibal Buress or Craig Robinson. That shit would have been a smash hit.

I wonder what the ratings are like on BET considering it caters to a smaller percentage

and come to think of it old Arsenio (signature Ars_____) crossed over to white audiences and talked about social issues more than 20 years ago on tv.

He was waaaaay better than late-era Carson.

Did autism play a role in OP's post history?

>I wonder what the ratings are like on BET considering it caters to a smaller percentage

BET is on basic cable so it gets pretty good ratings overall. Tavis Smiley was pretty based but they fired him for not liking Obama enough. For a while Tavis was the best talking head on tv of the Oreilly, Hannity, Scarborough, maddow type.

Dude was boring. /thread

Can we get some urban K I N O in here?

Is "Soul Plane" an accurate insight into African-American life?

The Wash is great.

I don't think today's kids remember it because it kind of fell through the cracks. But excellent urban K I N O with a bit of a self-reliance message too.

Will the "World Star Hip Hop" feature film be the pinnacle of urban K I N O?

It's just another lefty hypocrisy.
Gender is a social construct, and yet trannies are born as a different gender to their bodies.
Race is a social construct, until we need someone to blame, then it's white people at fault.

Stewart was more self-critical, which is KEY is being a comedian. Wilmore constantly came at the audience from a place of superiority.

Kevin hart isn't nearly that tall

Give the dumb nigger a show on bet or bounce.

>Nigger problem solved.

Bounce is one of the best 10 networks on TV.

they had BLANKMAN on tv last week. Blankman.

>network named after what a basketball does
>aimed at black people

never change, marketers

it was because he was honest

so BET can't into comedy?
Coversation with Tavis Smiley are not good enough?

>Imagine how much funnier the show would have been with Hannibal Buress or Craig Robinson
>Hannibal Buress
>Craig Robinson

You literally picked two of the least funny comedians out there.

Not as bad as Eric Andre

Never would've happened if Jon stayed.

>a four-year veteran African-American stand-up comic
>four year veteran
>veteran

Opinion: Disregarded

And because Arsenio Hall just has a naturally likeable personality.

I remember when he refused to cancel his show in the middle of the 92 LA riots that were torching entire sections of the town. He did the show, covered what was happening, and his studio was dangerously close to the riots, it's not like he was safe in Malibu or something.

Can you imagine a host today being brave enough to risk their own safety to talk about something important that was happening?

Blacks can say or do whatever they want because they're expressing themselves in a white supremacy.

Yes it did, his entire show was based on his race. So of course it played a role. People are fucking tired of hearing about how bad blacks have it especially the multi-millionaire ones.

WOOF!
WOOF!
WOOF!

was it a woof or a woo? I could never tell.

how come white people love the chapelle show and the boondocks but they hate larry wilmore

No, it got canned because it was fucking wank. We're not gonna watch your shit just because you're black too nigga, you actually have to be smart and/or entertaining; he was neither. Worse yet he packed his show with assholes who managed to be unfunnier and dumber than him. Why the fuck would anyone watch that?

Shit like this is why black people will never get anywhere. We whinge to get "black shows" with "black perspectives" yet you never hear that same dumb bitch defend the show by praising its humour.

The show has too big of a name, they'll get someone else

chappelle show was funny

Larry Wilmore should have tried being funny, it would have saved his show.

I gave him a chance. He just couldn't fill Colbert's shoes. He's incapable of deadpan.

Ranked third with late night audiences, his show was replaced with The Chevy Chase Show. They spent millions renovating a studio, and called it the Chevy Chase Studio. They threw millions at Chevy Chase to take the gig, and soon found themselves ranked fourth with late night audiences. People would rather watch Ted Koppel or infomercials rather than terrible Chevy.

Both those shows were clever and funny, Larry Wilmore was lazy "comedy".

The only similarity between all of them is that they're about black people.

Like Key and Peele, Chapelle Show worked because it focused more on being funny than on being black.

His head is too narrow. I don't know, whenever I see it I just think "there should be more face there considering how long it is"

>Ranked third with late night audiences
Considering his competition at the time, that's pretty fucking good.

fade on fleek

But Key and Peele wasn't funny. Not cause they were black, just cause they weren't funny

He was up against Leno and Letterman. They thought Chevy could knock one of them out? What were they thinking?

I wonder what he's doing right now

People who think it was canceled bc of race are plebs. Watch the correspondence dinner. See who he calls out, listen to what he's saying, then you'll know why he's been blacklisted from tv (lol)

Some of the skits are good. The show wasn't good, but people point out some of the skits on YouTube.

To be fair, that was back when Chevy was still somewhat respected as a comic actor.

>MOM
>I POSTED
>IT AGAIN
>LOL!

Quality entertainment.
youtube.com/watch?v=OdqMEfV-r9A

Both those shows made fun of/criticized everything. The Jiggaboo Power Hour was all about DEM CRACKAZ and MUH DICK.

>target demographic is libcucks and children
>change host to black man
>ratings plummet and viewership drops like a stone
>it's the right's fault this show failed, they are just do racist
really makes you think