Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d3_s9rjdfOs
youtube.com/watch?v=3Jf9-VyXEKE
youtube.com/watch?v=Up_KMtm0Gn0
youtu.be/XOLORvoQu_U
youtu.be/gog7xtXvndI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

which guitar should i get as a complete beginner?

Anything cheap, but not retardedly cheap. Something like $200. Then after a year you'll know if you're actually sticking to it and can get something better

thanks

Something used.

Look on Facebook, there should be plenty of used deals. Even if you make a post in a relevant sales group saying something like....

Hi I'm going to start playing guitar. Looking to buy a starter pack: guitar, amp and lead. My budget is $xxx. Show me what y'all got.

How do you clean your fretboard?

People are saying steel wool, lighter fluid, windex, razor blades?

It's either lighter fluid or steel wool,
Lighter fluid seems bad because it's a liquid and steel wool seems bad because it's abrasive.

Hand sanitizer, because it has alcohol and moisturizers in it. That way it cleans the germs and gunk away, and the fretboard doesn't dry out.

Can I ask about suggestions for a bass pedal under 50 USD here?

I haven't played much fingerstyle but how hard/long would it take to learn this song? I can play the Gareth Evans let her go fingerstyle and thats about it in that style

www.youtube.com/watch?v=g30-pZiUwmY

First of all not letting it get so grimy, by being a clean person.
Just wipe it down with a wet cloth and then fretboard oil, another cleanup with the wet cloth and then t final application of oil.

>how to clean a fretboard
>Step 1
buy a guitar with a Maple neck
>Step 2
laugh at everybody who has a fretboard that has fucking holes in it
>Step 3
enjoy never having to clean your fretboard

But then I'd have to look at it, and maple necks are ugly.

>maple necks are ugly
I can't even understand how a person could have this opinion. Shame on you

Scratch the grime off with the side of a pick.

Any household cleaning wipes (e.g. flash antibacterial multi surface kills 99.99% of germs) will do the job, removing gunk/fingerpoop whilst retaining the integrity of the instrument.

Plz rate
youtube.com/watch?v=d3_s9rjdfOs

Is guitar fretboard workbook from Barrett Tagliarino a good book?

youtube.com/watch?v=3Jf9-VyXEKE

what do you guys think of Steve Terreberry. He annoyed me before but now I think he's pretty funny and entertaining.

Oh shit, I have the same guitar in black.

i think the likelihood of anyone on here having read that book is slim to none.

A better question would probably be, "guize, what's a good book ?"

good for what lol

post pics?

I've had mine for at least 10 years lol. SA series I think, dunno the model. I love it, it's so versatile with the different pickups, 1 piece body, tremolo, can do anything on it except rage against the machine solos lol.

A couple of hours should do it.

Bear in mind that he doesn't appear to fully understand how rhythm work judging by his tabs.

I don't play it as much as I should. Putting new strings on right now.

Got this Epiphone SG yesterday, it is very nice but I can't get locking straps onto it, the screws that came with it won't fit through the strap button, all my other screws are too thin.

fuck me that's a nice one. The SA series is probably the best of the less expensive models :P I've played some other cheaper ibanez' and find the neck to be way too wide, and tones are shit lol.

You have reminded me of one drawback however! And that's bridge maintenance and to a much lesser extent, tuning.

You see the hexagonal nuts keeping the floating bridge in place? You can remove the bridge as it were and check for wear against these hexagonal nuts. It may be the case that you need to screw them abit further down or abit higher up, in order to get a nice temolo height, a nice action, and no buzzing/rattling.

String gauge will also affect the bridge and the action. Best to adjust the bridge height when the new strings are on.

I've only done this once in the 10 years I've owned it though.

With regards to tuning, due to the floating bridge, I tune the low E first, then the A, then back to the low E to make sure it's in tune, then back to the A and D, then BACK to the low e to make sure it's still in tune, a repeat with the rest of the strings lol. Takes slightly longer to tune than a hardtail bridge, but thats its a small price to pay for having fun with the whammy bar.

I hope that was a cool story bro.

I don't come to Sup Forums very often, what is the opinion here on Rocksmith?

what model is this

guitar 8/10

t-shirt 3/10

y tho

Vintage G-400 Worn Brown

It's a toy, even if I never found this kind of games funny.

it's far better to learn guitar the traditional way, I don't really get why this gamification phenomena is so still relevant, I guess that's why products like these are more succesful in America
instant gratification with no real learning

I put all 5 springs in the bridge to disable the whammy. I don't have any trouble tuning it now.

It is a really nice guitar, but it's on the higher end of the spectrum, I use it for tricky solos.
I have a BC rich for really heavy stuff
And an epiphone SG as my all rounder, I feel guilty playing the SG more than the Ibanez, considering the price difference.

Like pic related but black and no pick guard.

why is this exist

$___$

*phenomenon

>screws too thin

do you have some matches? when screws are too thin, I usually cut a little wood sitck from a match, insert it in the hole and then proceed screwing the whole thing
it works, adds width to the screw

That works but I wouldn't trust it to hold the guitar to the strap.

>phenomena
do you even latin singular/plural forms

If you can't identify the bpm of a song by tapping your foot and counting, you should kill yourself.

If you've ever needed to practice to a metronome instead of just listening and repeating what you've heard, you should kill yourself.

If you can't identify strumming patterns on the first listen and repeat them, you should kill yourself.

you could always fill the hole with something like bicomponent glue and then drill a new one

or, go to your local hardware store and find some other screws
or buy a new straplock

>5 springs
madman.

nah that's actually a bang on resolution to what could be a problem for some.

It is a pretty nice guitar for its price I agree. Which guitar do you prefer to play? And which one do you say you play at your best on?
I've seen so many unwanted, dilapidated SG's, never had the opportunity to play one ;'(.

I did play my friend's gibson les paul the other day, and I gotta say I would never pay the stupid money for one of those. Sure it played nicely and the build quality was very nice. But there's no way it's worth 1 or 2 grand more than the ibanez.

there's no point knowing BPMs, and God please "tapping your foot and counting", seriously?

time signature is the only thing you need to know to have the correct shuffle and groove, but if you can't feel the beat and stay on tempo just by ear, well

everyone uses a metronome

strumming patterns? is this like guitar 101
"up and down and down and-a-up"

youtube.com/watch?v=Up_KMtm0Gn0

1 its impossible to get the exact bpm. It's like counting seconds.

I'm inclined to agree with point 2.

And point 3 it takes me a few focused listens to get to grips with a song I really enjoy, it's even harder to learn a song I hate!

Post some clyps or vids of your flawless playing as you evidently have very high standards of technical proficiency. Either that or you're venting cause your bandmates are dogshit.

what would I need to do to add a push/pull knob volume switch so that my two DiMarzio humbuckers can turn into two single coils ?

Gonna buy my first guitar soon.
What do you guys suggest to a guitar noob?

Got a 400 yuros budget and was thinking about an epiphone LP along a small vox amp.

visit a luthier and pay him £30-40

It's Greek, not Latin. user was talking about a single one but used the plural form (phenomena) when he should have used the singular form (phenomenon).

The appropriate wiring. Make sure to use genuine DiMarzio® pickup wiring for the highest quality tone and sustain.

Go to a local store and try out a bunch. Literally spend an afternoon trying all the guitars up to about 400-450 euros. Then just buy a pick or a pack or strings or a strap or some shit.

Make a note of any guitars (brand, model/number) you like, and the prices, and check them vs online retailers.

Can you not count to 60 and tap your foot to a beat and count the taps? Can you not count two sequences of numbers at once? It isn't useful per se, but if you can't do this you're doomed to playing campfire songs for your entire life.

No one with beyond a basic level of rhythmic competency needs to use a metronome.

I'm talking about jazz and actually complex patterns, not whatever country rock you play, faggot.

You have an awful internal clock. You should work on developing that. I can guess what time it is during the day just by knowing what time I woke up.

My bandmates are dogshit

nice dude, my new Epi Sheraton II pro is coming in on thursday, I can't wait

Yeah well I can guess what time it is during the day just by looking at my wrist.
Where is your god now?

so, /gg/, did Jimi Hendrix know music theory or not?

will go tomorrow, thanks for the advice

lol tell me about your bandmates and I'll tell you about mine :P

Or at least tell me what they do to piss you off haha.

GUITAR SECRET INBOUND

Alot of songs/phrases/bars with complex time signatures can be counted like this: one-two one-two one-two one-two one-two one-two.

Rather than one-two-three-four-five-six-seven-eight-nine-ten-eleven-

You can split it up like one-two-three one-two-three one-two-three-four-five.

3+3+5 makes 11.

Please share your music and guitar secrets

One thing's for sure, he didn't know don't-choke-on-your-own-vomit theory.

have fun and don't listen to any salesfags. It's all about what you like and what you find comfortable, what you like the sound of, is the build quality decent, and, do you like the colour :P

SG 80%, Ibanez 15%, BC %5

I feel I play better on the SG, but that might just because it was my first electric.

I never play the BC, it's pic related model. Ugly and awkward, not sure why I bought it really. At least it was half price. Someone bought it, put blue strings on it, then returned it to the store. Plays well though.

looks alright. I agree though the design of flying v's is just ridiculous. Quick sale £70. lol.

Great. I'm glad you're proud of your handicap.

They don't practice because they think they're better than they actually are. Ever met a stuck up jazz organ player?

I'm relatively new in the whole guitar repair/mod scene, I figured this would be a pretty easy mod
but since a friend of mine is a luthier, I guess I could just sit next to her as she's working on the guitar and learn a couple of things

you should find the most appealing sound, weight and overall feel
it's your first guitar but it doesnt mean you have to trash it in two years

I would go with a strat because my first guitar was a lp too, and then it was kind of hard for me to understand and appreciate other sounds and playing styles

of course, the genres you like playing the most should be taken into account

at some point I want to buy a big hollowbody electric, not sure if Gretsch or Epiphone

It would have hurt more.

No argument here. WTF was I thinking!

Return for different brand of locks. Don't fuck up your SG.

I've never met an organ player whose head wasn't stuck up his own ass. They are the saltiest bunch of people.

Autistic piano players essentially. I've met a few nice guys who play organ, but never have I had one in my band.

Anyone getting the Rob Chapman doll? Action figure? It's a bit idealized, if you ask me, but it comes with two accessory guitars and, of course, the signature dreadlocks. I'll pick one up for a laugh. Only 20 quid.

It'd be worth it just to tweet picture of it being abused to him.

Thiscum on it and send a different pic to him everyday

>Rob Chapman
that fat guy from Andertons?
man yeah, I'd say it's a *tad* idealized

but he's cool, I used to dislike him but now he keeps the joke-o-meter at zero so it's cool
I would have almost killed him for that lousy cobain jag review, I like his reviews with that Captain guy more now

my fingers hurt
what do

play more
earn those calluses

>a bit

Lmao, what else is grinding your gears?

I have unfortunately never met a jazz organ player. If someone has a superior ear then I can recognise it. I can also recognise when someone is fronting their ego to mask their feelings of inadequacy in a given activity.

Thinking they're better than they actually are, such a common misdemeanour. My guitarist doesn't have the confidence to play mean solos unless he's coked up, I'm always arguing with the guy. He's not a bad person, but when it comes to music he can be a total cock, unwilling to play rhythm parts, yet not recognising the superiority of other players (me) in every facet of guitar playing.

Sure I'm big headed but I earned it through years of practice. I only wish that I could play with musicians who are more skilled, as it would help me become more skilled too. My band holds me back and uses me for my skill.

But, I'm still with them. Why? Cause I can't find anyone better who wants to be in a band and make some music. I left primary school 7 years ago, but we're back in the playground.

*school, not primary, that would make me some kind of jailbait. I'm 25.

:3

stop mocking me

gibe criticism plox
youtu.be/XOLORvoQu_U

/gg/ - looking to begin journey in learning guitar - are their any good and cheap jaguar clones? Can't find any used in my area, and I like the look and sound. Anyone with experience with a xaviere Xbox-jt100? Looks like a reasonably priced downgraded jazzmaster, but again what do I know.

Also, anyone here ever play on a Yamaha sgv 300/800 or the sbv series? Are they any good? Based on look and yt sound that's my dream guitar/bass (yeah sue me, it's an uggo, w/e) but rarely come up and always pretty pricey. Not looking for one now (well maybe a little), but just want to get a feel for other people feelings regarding the gear. Thanks in advance.

Turns out you play bass better than guitar

fuck off narcissistic. no musician is good enoff for you to play with ah?

thats a fact for any average guitarist because bass is an easier instrument

Anyone have any experience with Carvin/Kiesel Guitars?

thats a fact for any average guitarist because bass is an easier instrument :^)

I know you already told me

delete it

>it's a "come up with a killer riff but you don't know where to go with it" episode
I don't think songwriting is for me guys, I'm much better off just covering other people's shit

I'm in a similar boat to you, band wise.

Other than my organist, the rhythym guitarist would rather noodle than practice. He isn't much of a rhythym guitarist and he's honestly a better soloist but he can only solo in the blues boxes. Not much of a melody maker either, I have to write all of our guitar parts and show him how to play them in person, or write tab for him.

Bassist is solid, always knows his parts and helps compose because he has a better understanding of theory than the rest of the band.

We just got a new drummer and he's decent, it's only been a month and we haven't sat down together to write anything with him yet so I'm not sure how that will go. He seems to have his head on straight though.

The issue is that we play (I write in) a sort of jazz fusion style, complex rhythms and extended chords, with some influence from a lot of genres that don't fully display themselves in our music (metal music, some hardcore, math/post rock). There's very few people interested in playing this here, so stuck with this shitty organist and rhythym guitarist for now until I move on to greener pastures. I just need to sell the gear I don't want to take with me first.

I'm hoping to get more into the latin Jazz coastal scene. I can feel the stagnation living here. It's truly hell. I don't feel like I'm being used per se, it's just that I'm surrounded by relative mediocrity.

post your kbands music

anyone dares to watch this
youtu.be/gog7xtXvndI

>Yamaha sgv 300/800
The 300 was kinda cheap. (Maybe the higher the number, the better the feel?) I could go for a classic SG Samurai in pearl white, though.

Good to know - give me the pearl green or electric blue tho unf

do people actually memorize scales to a T instead of learning its intervals and learning how to find intervals on the neck

When I have something that wasn't recorded on tape cassette I will.

plug the cassetes output to the pc input and record it

People learn both. Usually learning the scales comes first as it helps in finding the intervals.

I play mainly bass
you play guitar, so you can play this song effortlessly

but your picking technique is wrong, you could give more groove to those notes. Also, stop hitting every cord like a guitar, you need much more pressure

that index swirling doesn't work on bass, at least not like that

I'm not even commenting the fact that you said bass is easier
difficult=/=complex

I'm 26

is it too late to start a band? I don't want to be famous or shit, I just want to play with some people :(

my wondering was out of a moment of laziness wanting to not practice scales but i remembered its important to know the scales and not just find intervals on the spot

I can't believe I laughed at such a bad joke

I know how tape works. It's really low quality. Just demo tapes for home practice for bandmates. When I get something higher quality I will post it.

>but your picking technique is wrong, you could give more groove to those notes
enlighten me on that
plain picking stronger and harder?

>stop hitting every cord like a guitar, you need much more pressure
a what, strum chords? i didnt do that in there

>that index swirling doesn't work on bass, at least not like that
hows it?

>I'm not even commenting the fact that you said bass is easier
>difficult=/=complex
i stand corrected. its both easier and simpler