Mental illness doesn't exist...

Mental illness doesn't exist. It is just medicalised language being used to delegitimise and oppress those thoughts and experiences which society considers deviant.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wuhJ-GkRRQc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

O'really

nope user. i have mental illnesses.

Sorta. It exists, but the structures and reasoning for institution are new inventions brought on by modern society. Some mental illnesses are chemical imbalances and aren't the results of society or capitalism. But capitalism and social structures do exacerbate them.

>citation needed

You are incorrect. You have actually just passively accepted a government-assigned label.

No mental illness is chemical imbalance. There is natural variation among various neurotransmitters, and no deficiency has been adequately established for any supposed mental illness. See Joanna Moncrieff's "the myth of a chemical cure" for more on this.

It is the default position to not believe in something. Anything past that I will happily cite.

Good bait thread, will get a lot of angry responses.

not bait. This is something I sincerely believe and will happily discuss.

:)

The stuff i see and hear aren't hallucinations O.O

They are, but hallucinations are actually a universal experience to some degree. They indicate stress, but almost never illness. I can go into more on this if wanted.

Good bait response, will keep the thread going!

You're an idiot. And obviously have some sort of mental illness. Most likely psychopathic behaviour.

What about psychotic episodes?

You just proved mental retardation exists.

What about them?

You have never breached the wall of insanity. It's paper thin and once you go in theres no going back it's all static you are the static you're not your you nor are you your you but you're still not someone else anything they find out they use against you and it never changes it keeps happening and you can't stop it

Who me?

No I'm me and no-one else can be me because your you And I'm me

Well OP you never seen a transsexual apparently..

The problem with Foucault (and most poststructuralists and so-called "constructivists") is that they think their subject of study (communication, or "the social") represents reality. everything SOCIAL is but a social construction, but that allows for few statements about, say, quantum physics. So instead of raising awareness for the complexity and conditionality of issues like mental health, they make themselves look like total morons.

There's a reason for this, of course. The more obscure and radical your theory, the more other "intellectuals" want to jerk you off - as long as you stay firmly within the moral code of your time; dare you disagree with the leftist mainstream!

People who are actually interested in more than intellectual circlejerks (systems theory) or who simply choose a more analitical and conciliatory point of view (neo-Gramscian Marxists) are being massively marginalized in European sociology.

What the fuck

No, the smiley gave him away.

Disregard that, all intellectuals want the circlejerk.

i work at a nursing home. mental illness is a real thing. leave your room once in a while and you won't conjure up retarded theories like this

I kinda agree with you, user. Everybody has gone nuts, citing off their many "mental illnesses" to the world is like an achievement, like catching pokemon. Every douchebag edgelord will claim stupid shit like ocd, autism, adhd and it's all bullshit.

The smiley was deliberate, dumbass.

Many psychiatric sceptics are not poststructuralists. For example, on the right we have Peter Breggin and Thomas Szasz.

:)

Pointing at old people and saying "they act weird" isn't an argument for mental illness.

>Mental illness doesn't exist. It is just medicalised language being used to delegitimise and oppress those thoughts and experiences which society considers deviant.
Whatever you say, Jerry but traps are still gay though.

I recently heard a lecture where they claimed, the ego is a strain on the brain, trying to hold back and control intuitive behavior. Up on letting go and relieving the strain, your ego will cease to be.
Would that entail that tortured/miserable people with a lot of mental strain tend to have a more developed ego? Think tortured artist.

No matter how you call them, there is some kind of condition that are helped by psychotherapy and/or medication.

My quality of life has increased since i've started seeing a psychiatrist, and it's the case of other people that i know.

In my case, it's not the society who labeled me deviant, actually i'm functional, almost everyone that i know wouldn't understand why i'm seeing a shrink.

If society has labelled something as mental illness, then that's our name for it, so of course it fucking exists. Retard.

Nigga yah stupid
youtube.com/watch?v=wuhJ-GkRRQc

There are people who are completely disassociated with reality, who see hallucinations and suffer from delusions. Beyond a certain point it's not a 'social construct', their brains don't work in any way thats recognizable as rational.

All other mental illnesses are on a spectrum until you get to regular, as you said, deviant thoughts. Like, 'I could kill my boss', 'was that a ghost', 'my sister's hot'

Public understanding of mental illness is definitely suffering from attention seekers and wannabe victims. And I have no doubt drug corps and reps are pumping drugs into people who dont need it, but to say it doesnt exist or worse, to imply mental healthcare is oppressing peoples regular thought processes is counter productive.

To put it in context, you're like a hippie who runs around screaming that we're all going to be under water in 10 years because of global warming. Or a big industry leader who denies its even happening. Extreme viewpoints that dismiss evidence arent helpful to any argument.

Fuck, I hate it when people say things like "it's a social construct" as if that somehow makes a thing unimportant.

So it's a social construct, so fucking what? It's still real and it's still valid, get used to it and shut the fuck up.

Lots of people think things which I don't consider rational. This does not prove anything at all.

It's funny because in theory I disagree with OP, yet all the "mentally ill" people that I know love having the status of "mentally ill". It has become a badge of achievement, something edgy that makes you cooler than everyone else (and gives you prescription meds too!).

Uh, that sounds a bit strange. First, if the lecture refers to Freud, where is the super-ego? Second, the "tortured artist" type may actually be tortured because his ego isn't strong enough to cope with the demands of their es (which is often the case with intuitive people).

Yeah you tell him
Listen good,dont be to judgmental
and
Nice teeth

+1

+kudos

Why is "it" valid?

The better answer would be to just tell the fuckwits that the idea that something is a social construct is also a social construct. 90% of the time they will have no useful response.

Incidently, Derrida explicitly wrote that "desconstruction" is by no means a method to disprove anything.

So... you just read Thomas Szazs' "The manufacture of madness" for the first time and wanted to echo his ideas? Or do you legitimately think this decades, if not over a century old, proposal is an new thought?

He didn't conjure this up. It's as stupid as it is old. Seriously, why do people think this is a new concept? There are eight books I could name right now that are over forty years old that espouse this exact same philosophy. It's like when people are trying to be edgy by calling humanity 'stupid monkeys' when the quote "humans are apes on an evolutionary joy-ride" is fucking ancient. (I totally agree with you on how stupid it is though...)

>picture is of Foucault
>"so you just read Thomas Szasz..."
fail

theres a difference between 'Welcome all Immigrants' and 'Toby the spider king has laid eggs in my eyes' and then scratching them out, or hearing voices telling you to kill.

What you're suffering from is low level narcissism. You can't wrap your head around how other people don't think or see things like you do so your ego rationalises that their views and ideas are similar to yours but are being altered by some outside force.

I know because I have it too. So do a lot of people, it's why politics is such a divisive topic of discussion.

Mental ilness does exist and you know it does too because you already described them.
Why wouldnt you say that ordinary diseases dont exist, they are also oppressive?

"There's a difference between"
Yes. But difference doesn't indicate illness. Try harder.

Bitch, my best friend has Bipolar Disorder type I. And let me tell you something. When she goes into full blown mania and totally loses her shit? That is not a government label.

You're an idiot

What a lame attempt at inciting rage.

This is false and fucking dangerous, not to mention stigmatizing. What's the purpose of telling a schizophrenic "Your "illness" is the product of modern society."? Sure, throughout history the mentally I'll weren't locked away or separated from interactions with common folk and the working class, but throwing this statement out there in this manner is harmful.

Post-structuralism is more of a way to observe the working world through the structures and hierarchies imposed by previous societies.

ok...weird counter argument but fine.

there are certain behaviours all lifeforms have. Self preservation is one of them and the easiest to argue and give examples for.

So I mentioned the eye scratching because of the spider king. Depression that leads to suicide, there was a famous mathematician who starved himself to death after his wife died because he was convinced his food was poisoned and she used to check it for him.

All of these people are convinced their action will help them (ie, following the rational thought to preserve themselves) but are actually killing themselves because their thought processes are faulty.

Bacteria release chemicals to kill threats. If 1% didnt we would conclude that their DNA was faulty. We have a more complicated system that can go wrong and not just physically, the brain.

Yes it is.

Grade A argument.

What's stigmatising is saying that people have an illness. That they have something in objective need of fixing.

A tonne of people don't engage in self-preservation, and we don't call them mentally ill. Mountain climbing is more dangerous than any supposed mental illness.

Sorry but you really aren't describing the reality of mental illness here. The fact is we don't call people mentally ill because they're at risk or are harming anyone. We call them mentally ill because they are different in a way which we cannot societally accept as valid.

Eh. I have some myself and I find it liberating to be able to admit that some are the product of capitalism/society, or when they're the product of my own biological functions.

your patience is applaudable (I know, that's not a word) - but when someone baits you with "try harder", especially on Sup Forums it means they don't give a toss about the topic at hand, they're just happey you've taken the bait and will keep you going for as long as humanly possible.

I know you're not actually responding to OP, but may share your views on psychic ailments in general, to those who may actually read with open interest.

If you find it a liberating myth then go ahead, but it is still a myth.

I said "try harder" because his argument was especially weak.

I'm really starting to think you're not reading past the first lines of my posts.

My argument is simple. Since you said that no mental illnesses exist, I'm trying to prove to you that extreme versions of mental illness exist, ie people who do harm themselves or others because they cant connect to our societies reality or any reality, so that you'll admit that all other things we as a society call mental illness are lesser forms of that disorder.

Forget society. Lets go back to caveman times. 99 cavemen are chllin in their respective caves eating mammoth steak, the other is in the woods screaming at the moon, hitting himself over the head with a rock and eating his own shit. Is he physically ill? nope, no infections, no viruses, no brain damage until the rock splits his skull at least. Whats wrong with him? gee I dunno, maybe his brain is fucked with a mental illness.

Gr8 b8 m8.

Literally anything can be deemed a myth or theory. Why do you pigeonhole yourself in ideologies that don't allow you to move freely? Why not gleam portions of everything and build a foundation of knowledge for yourself? I can love Chomsky and Derrida at the same time, yo. You can too, it's possible.

Well if the first line contains an error, then I'm not going to bother reading much further correct.

"I'm trying to prove to you that extreme versions of mental illness exist"
Go ahead.

And no, pointing at a caveman and saying "he's weird" isn't a proof of anything.

I thought that age of trolling was over. Ah forget it, I'm just killing time between faps anyway

No. But it does keep your thread going, which is what you're after.
Good on you mate.
Good on your bate.
Batemate!

Matebate?

He's reading exactly enough to bait you further, that's all you're going to get.

"Caveman argument" in this instance falls flat, imo. In our current world and system, you can't really "forget society". Every social structure plays a role in your everyday life. Society does cause mental illness, which is true, but I don't believe it causes all of them. We weren't made to live in groups of millions, slaving away every day and buying into consumerism.

oh god...are you two both him as well? The carrot and the stick. fml, I'm going to bed

>best you can do is call me bait
Try harder.

Society doesn't "cause" mental illness any more than it "causes" homosexuality. It chose to label homosexuality as illness 30 years ago, and it chooses to label depression as illness today.

calm down and engage properly please.

Everyone loves to be able to label themselves, society just nurturers the whole fiasco around it.

Kek lemme guess, Drs make u take depo shot in ass and you hate it cos u don't believe u have schizophrenia...

Oh yeah? Tell that to gay or bisexual folk who were (and still are) told they're sinners or are unnatural. Anxiety or depression is created from living your whole life being told you're wrong for loving who you want to love, because the Anglo-Christian God and Jesus said so.

Wanna talk about work and how anxiety or depression is formed when you worry about money all the time? Or the way you look? Or the color of your skin? Or the size of your house? Or your vocabulary?

Fuck off.

Okay, I'll try harder.

No, I lied, you're just bait.

By that logic paralyzed, and physically handicapped people are just brain washed as well.

Mental illness is LITERALLY faulty programming and/or equipment.

Fuck this anti-normal movement. As if being a social freak or outcast makes you better than the rest.

Do whatever the fuck you want, but do go shoving it down everyone else's throat and telling me that because I'm normal I'm the one who should feel bad.

>Tell that to gay or bisexual folk
You've clearly misunderstood something. I'm saying gay people aren't ill. They would have no objection to me saying that at all.

>Wanna talk about work and how anxiety or depression is formed when you worry about money all the time? Or the way you look? Or the color of your skin? Or the size of your house? Or your vocabulary?

Yeah sure. It's caused by those things, not some mythical illness.

Try harder.

"faulty"
So how are you defining faulty exactly? Nobody exhibits perfect logic and reason. Plenty of people believe things that can be shown to be false. Plenty of people act in ways I cannot personally understand or feel. Many people feel the desire to sit on the backs of horses on a weekly basis. This is incredibly dangerous, and I don't get why you would want to.

That doesn't make these people ill.

I know gay people aren't ill, but that doesn't mean some aren't dealing with mental disorders completely unrelated to their sexuality. What is the cause of psychosis or schizophrenia for you then?

Lol didn't answer this one did you u op? How often u gotta get that depo shot in the ass? Ever had the cops come and get you?

What is the cause for me? Nothing.
What is the cause for people generally? Any massive number of reasons.

If you want to talk about something specific like hallucinations, then we know exactly why people get those. It's the brain interpreting something as real which is fake, which it does whenever the risk is considered too great.

For example, people often dream something is going to hit them in the face, at which point they wake up immediately. You wake up because your brain decides there is a danger which it knows is fake but would be serious if real, and so acts as if real.

This same mechanism comes into play more and more if a person is under a high amount of stress (or indeed, physical illness).

Note there is no room in this for a mythical mental illness.

For more on this, look at Richard Bentall's work.

No you dumbass.
Faulty as in the normal biological function of the brain are being inhibited and or not even working. Alzheimers is a physical neurological illness

MENTAL ILLNESS is a behavior disorder.
Which often times are symptoms of a physical condition.

The PERFECT example of a mental illness is gambling addiction. Explain to me why a gambling addict is "normal"

U forgot to mention your theton level faggot

Every other part of the body can develop conditions/diseases/defects, brain is not exempt.

And it's still going!
Well done OP.
Good troll.

so you try really hard to sound smart but obviously you have no idea what you're talking about. what we call "mental illness" is literally just a way to describe symptoms, like hallucinations that people have.
its just like people who are diabetic i dont see you making a thread about how that is just a way for society to suppress people who are diabetic but actually have an imbalance.

Oh right. Yeah Alzheimers is real.

>Gambling Addiction
Are you trolling? You picked something which really obviously is not an illness as your strongest play.

I'm not a scientologist and have not cited any scientologists. Try harder.

The brain can get diseases yes. Things like brain cancer are real. Neurological disorders are real.

It's only when we explicitly cannot establish such genuine problems that we bring up the mythical "mental illness."

brain does not equal mind

post modernism is cancer

foucault and derrida ruined academia

Still waiting for an answer op? Do u get a depo shot or not? R u required by law to let someone stick a needle in your ass full of medication?

Correct. It is just a way to describe certain thoughts and actions which we do not societally accept. That's exactly my point.

The issue is this: What's considered mental illness is entirely societal. The same is not true of physical illness.

See:
You do not need to be a postmodernist to have a sensible stance on mental illness.

>>Oh right. Yeah Alzheimers is real.
>>gambling addiction not real

Everyone stop replying to this dude.
Weak bait is weak
You aren't even explaing anything. You just being a teen contrarian.
You are the definition of an arm chair scientist.

uhm no, the first rule for getting diagnosed with a mental illness is that there needs to be a discomfort from the patient. So if you yourself are not having any problems with the thoughts and actions you have/do you are not considerd "mentally ill"

Foucault is shit.

Are you serious? Alzheimers is well established, well understood, and even quantifiable.

Gambling addiction is just people having a hobby which leaves them poor.

These are worlds apart. It's utterly absurd to equate them.

Wrong. Plenty of people get sectioned and diagnosed without any harm to themselves.

On the other hand, plenty of people harm themselves and are not called mentally ill.

Sorry but mental illness has nothing to do with harm, at all. It is entirely societal acceptance.

any country that uses the DSM wont do that, also what you are talking about happened in the 1960 or something

The fact that the rest of us have decided that mental illness does exist means that it literally does. We have legitimized it by naming it, like everything else on society. Society's constructs matter, your opinion does not.

meh your wrong
but some people who think they have a mental illness may not.
/thread