ITT: Artists that started punk then moved to post punk

>pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/0wZxn8IE8UM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

just gonna dump a few to get this started

...and then moved to New Wave when the singer died

Iggy's probably the only artist to have done Proto-Punk, Punk, Post-Punk and Pop Punk

John Lydon isn't punk, he's a butter salesman.

And sucked at all of them. Boggles the mind really...

Stiv Bator

bait

>thinking that he doesn't have the self awareness to realize that people would be pissed at him doing a butter commercial
>not realizing doing shit like this has been his shtick for the longest time

>Haha I just did it to piss people off >:)

Yeah, you still it though, didn't you, John

He used the money to fund another PiL album.

What is it with the Lydon hate around here anyway?

Oh yes, how terrible it is that he did a commercial for butter!
People hate him because they expect him to be "punk" in terms of what they define as punk. They don't realize that the man is and has always been a self aware contrarian. PiL proved this, the fact that people still haven't caught onto it yet shows just how stupid people are.

The only thing the guy has ever truly taken seriously is the death of Sid Vicious

>doing a butter ad to fund your next album
>not the most DIY play you could make

Exactly. Lydon see's the shit from both sides and it's what I've always admired about him. Guy's a fucking legend. Saw PiL last year and they were surprisingly amazing.

PiL lost focus and stopped being good after Flowers of Romance and you know it.

(OP)#
Punk to post punk to alt-dance to butter

#
Pub rock to punk to new wave, rly

#
Punk to post-punk to alt-dance

#
Garage rock to glam rock to post-punk to new wave to alternative rock to pop punk

I would say that Sandinista! is definitely a post punk album. Although post punk and new wave can often be hard to distinguish.

>what is the Idiot

>record proto-punk
>release as post-punk
Absolute madmen.

youtu.be/0wZxn8IE8UM

Same can be said for Swell Maps, Pere Ubu, Television, Devo, Suicide, and a number of others. I think it's the consequence of a false narrative. There were experimental avant garde bands from the very beginning of punk. Then somebody who didn't know what they were talking about said "it's post punk, because it went beyond punk, after the Ramones and Sex Pistols," and for some reason everybody went along with it.

All of the good ones.